00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GasGrass just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Neo Geo Jam Winners!

11,648 Views | 54 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Quick announcements:

@ForNoReason’s laptop and recording equipment was stolen! Fro created a fundraiser to get him new gear.

@MindChamber has announced the Robot Day winners!

@Sevi has announced the Music Inspired Art Contest winners!

That just leaves us with the winners of the Neo Geo Jam!

Neo Geo Jam Winners

From July 17th through August 30th, we hosted a Neo Geo Jam with categories for Animation, Art and Music. With support from the community and some last minute additions, the prize pool totaled over $3,000!

@Mabelma from MabsArts Store / MabsArts has also reached out to each of Top 5 Animation, Art and Music winners to send you a gift pack with pins and stickers. If you get back to him soon, he'll get your gift sent out before he leaves for a week this Wednesday!

Top Seven Animation

🏆 1st - $540 + custom Neo Geo joystick from @Weasel + Xeno Crisis Neo Geo cartridge!

@stevenm1988 composed the ultimate love letter to the Neo Geo, for fans both new and old. All of the art is made from scratch and looks like it could have come straight from a Neo Geo game attract screen.

🏆 2nd - $440

@ChipsGoWOAH teamed up with @coby, @DIGIMIN, @mogy64 and @ninjamuffin99 to create a supremely entertaining short that makes one yearn for an alternate timeline where Neo Geo games had their own shows on TV.

🏆 3rd - $340

@GuyUngerNL and @cobcris took a unique approach with a claymation-style homage to Metal Slug. The result is an adorable feast for the eyes!

🏆 4th - $240

@LobsterMango’s entry is lots of fun and gives off some classic Newgrounds video game parody vibes, accompanied by @Pyronator on vocals and a jamming soundtrack by @Syntrus!

🏆 5th - $200

@snailpirate, @Snackers, @Thriftman and @Wandaboy also took the game-as-cartoon-series approach, which we loved seeing in this jam, especially for an underdog like Cyberlip!

🏆 6th - $105

@KOLANI and company hit it out of the park with this unfinished entry, leaving us all wanting more. Great voice work by @Bindy, @BobbyDubs, @KenkoiPhish and Little Nii, with additional art from @Holden-Liu, writing by @Marakai, music by @PKToastyVA and sound from @Shay-KiFullalove!

🏆 7th - $60

@LDranzer, @JoeJourney and @Mimny delivered a charmer that captures the joy of discovering an MVS arcade cabinet in the wild.

Check out all the animation entries!

Top Five Art

🏆 1st - $130

If I saw someone wearing this Metal Slug art by @tzeentch88 on a t-shirt, I might actually have to give them a high-five.

🏆 2nd - $100

This Windjammers piece by @Fmats gave off the closest vibes of being actual cartridge cover art. Love those colors!

🏆 3rd - $100

@Kengabr illustrated an eye-popping montage of classic characters.

🏆 4th - $70

@DinkoDX captures a classic Metal Slug moment, in a work that would look great on any wall.

🏆 5th - $30

@TaraGraphika took the watercolor approach to Metal Slug, with stand-out results.

Top Three Animated GIFs

These animated art entries were all so stellar, we had to add additional prize categories!

🏆 1st - $130

@Jaime-R is a living legend and it’s exciting to think that in 50 years, students studying his work will stumble on this zany Neo Turf Masters piece and maybe dive into the Neo Geo or Newgrounds as a result.

🏆 2nd - $100

@Jaxks put so much love into this moving montage of classic Neo Geo games. Would love to see this set to audio!

🏆 3rd - $100

@Speedo’s Shock Troopers was maybe the most inspiring piece of the jam, as in I immediately wanted to acquire the rights to Shock Troopers and make a new one with Speedo on art.

🏆 Best Statue - $100

This work by @Esmachmat also warranted its own prize category. Seeing Metal Slug characters as statues blew my mind and made me rethink my own landscaping. Would love to see more like this in future jams!

🏆 The ScepterDPinoy Award - $50

@ScepterDPinoy is the master of the pixel art collage, this time celebrating modern indie games and Newgrounds artists in the style of Card Fighters Clash for the Neo Geo Pocket Color!

Check out all the art entries!

Thank you @IvanAlmighty for art and animation judging assistance.

Continued in the next post...

iu_164367_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 11:44:40

Top Six Music

🏆 1st - $100

@Trippple produced a total banger, taking me back to games like Top Hunter and Blue’s Journey while also being entirely new and ready for a game of the future.

(Judge) @TeraVex - “Love the variation in production and composition in this piece; it really fits the Neo Geo era quite nicely! The heavy use of the stereo field was also a great addition, really paying homage to the Neo Geo library’s great use of the stereo field in series like The King of Fighters.”

🏆 2nd - $70

@EezySeven celebrates Metal Slug with ample synth guitar, orchestral hits and a wild soundscape of Metal Slug samples.

(Judge) @EX-LYD - “flAme stood out for me the most because it has such a good structure. Every section feels connected though different from the last one. At one time I can hear a cool metal guitar section and next the song enters a section with a funky bass line with syncopated chords and a chill synth solo. When the song enters the dubstep beat section, I can totally bang my head. As for the composition you can really tell that the composer is very experienced. The melodies sound very mature and the underlying harmony is complex. Though the artist stated this song used melodies from the Metal Slug theme I do not recognize any big similarities with the theme. Next to that, the song’s sound is very pleasing to the ear. Nothing sounds out of place; the mixing is solid, everything is as loud as it should be. I really like the sample-use in the song. It would not be the same without them. My only complaint would be that the song should have been longer.”

🏆 3rd - $60

@DCMegaFan hits you right in the face with raw Neo Geo energy and keeps that momentum going all the way to the end!

(Judge) @EX-LYD - “Full Metal fortress is such a blast to listen to. It starts with a lot of energy generated by funky bass line and very fast rhythm and a syncopated melody to create extra movement. The overall structure could be better cause it sounds like it could be looped forever which is not a bad thing at its core. My personal favor lies with songs that have a distinct beginning and end. The song is also little on the short side. Though the use of many different instruments and panning is very creative and totally something I can have on repeat for a while.”

🏆 4th - $60

@jlmcomposer composed a piece that is 100% Neo Geo right out the gate and never lets up.

(Judge) @TeraVex - “This tune really captures the essence of those SNK fighters from the 90s. The twang and detuned nature of the lead synth really adds a sort of authenticity and character to the tune.”

🏆 5th - $50

@HOTSTUFFDX differentiated himself from the pack with a tribute to the breakbeat stylings of the Shock Troopers soundtrack, spanning three individual pieces.

(Judge) @TeraVex - “Shock Troopers style of music has something different in comparison to its contemporaries. This mini-collection of tunes does it great justice, my favorite of the bunch would have to be the character select music.”

🏆 6th - $50

@HoboKa305 delivered a fresh take on Magician Lord’s stage four theme, with haunting synths and vocals. Much like how Speedo’s art made me want to make a new Shock Troopers, this song makes me want to make a new Magician Lord; it’s so fresh yet so familiar.

(Judge) @TeraVex - “For its short 2 minute run time, this piece will keep you engaged through its entire runtime. With subtle instrumental changes and continuous growth, it really helps keep it interesting. Plus those choir samples are top!”

Honorable Mention

Neon Run is a must-hear song but was edged out by entries that were more thematically on-point with the Neo Geo.

Check out all the music entries!

Thank you @TeraVex and @EX-LYD for music judging assistance.

Thank you EVERYONE who participated in the jam! This one was really close to my heart and I love all the Neo Geo works that will forever now be a part of Newgrounds. I’ll also note that I’d love to see Neo Geo-inspired work here any day, any year.

Thank you to our sponsors!

@AndytheDandy - 300

@meatcanyon - 200

@shrizumalonito - 150

@ornery - 150

@9Hammer - 125

@BoMToons - 100 - Check out Super Chibi Knight!

@SrPelo - 100

@Squidly - 100 - Check out Renaine!

@wheezlezl - 100

@Mike - 100

@Grub-Xer0 - 100

$50 - @FuShark, @GoodL, @53xy83457, @BombsAhoy, @Tyler

$10-30 - @DoctorGrambo, @TheGhostOfSevenSeize, @coltenseamans, @GIO-NG, @Vudujin, @1DarkVoid, @Jackho, @Wegra, @Mimny, @SandBagg, @AntomM, @cyangorilla

Next up we’re approaching Halloween season, so expect something with a spooky vibe.

@Shock-Dingo has suggested a Darkstalkers Jam to show Capcom how beloved the series is. Would any of you be down to make something for that if we raised prize money?

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 11:48:06 (edited 2020-09-05 11:48:29)

Also want to note, I have other obligations this afternoon but will be reaching out to winners soon to get the prizes out!

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 11:51:05

Gratz everyone, very lovely stuff came outta this one!

was fun helping with Snail's entry, I love the buddy dynamic in it, congrats to you ya bastard.

Come on down to Fulpstation, baby

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 11:56:37 (edited 2020-09-05 11:57:22)

Awwww yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Came for the dick jokes, stayed for the pals I made.

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 11:58:34

At 9/5/20 11:44 AM, TomFulp wrote:

@Shock-Dingo has suggested a Darkstalkers Jam to show Capcom how beloved the series is. Would any of you be down to make something for that if we raised prize money?

Oh God yes.

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 11:58:40

At 9/5/20 11:56 AM, Pyronator wrote: Awwww yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Awesome!! I’ll be sending the winners dms later today with a form to fill out to receive your winning prize package of MabsArts x Newgrounds goodies.

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 12:10:10

This is really cool, congrats everyone!

Came for the dick jokes, stayed for the pals I made.

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 12:10:45

Congratulations to all of the winners! A lot of great content came out of the Neo Geo Jam! Also, thank you Tom for sharing the word about ForNoReason. We appreciate that!

You need a voice? I got plenty for ya! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 12:40:22

Congrats to the winners of the animation category! I wouldn't know who to put as number one since they're all fantastic in their own unique ways!

I didnt come close to winning myself but I learned alot during the production of my entery, I cant wait to do another animation jam and possibly work with members of the NG community next time!

Again, congrats to all the winners and thanks to everyone who contributed to hosting the Jam.

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 12:48:44

AAHH ! Thankyou so much !! Also congrats to all the winners ! You guys are amazing !

Also Darkstalkers Jam ? YES PLEASE

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 12:50:55 (edited 2020-09-05 12:56:11)

Congratulations to all the winners!!

At 9/5/20 11:44 AM, TomFulp wrote: @Shock-Dingo has suggested a Darkstalkers Jam to show Capcom how beloved the series is. Would any of you be down to make something for that if we raised prize money?

Yes.

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 12:52:14

At 9/5/20 12:48 PM, Kengabr wrote: AAHH ! Thankyou so much !! Also congrats to all the winners ! You guys are amazing !

Also Darkstalkers Jam ? YES PLEASE

Well done dude, you deserve it your entery is sick!

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 13:00:23

Thankyou so much man !! :')))

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 13:05:46

This is amazing! Congrats to all the winners, can't believe we made it!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 13:07:31

Freaking sweet! I loved being in both of the things I voiced real fun jam.

Game time baby girl

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 13:20:23

Congratulations to all winners, I'm proud to be an honorable mention and that I was part of neogeo contest :) rock on and stay retro :D

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 13:34:48

GOOD SHIT EVERYONE AND CONGRATS TO DA WINNERS

shoutouts my man Chips for hittin me up to do music for his toon, I loved workin on it makin sum cute shit hehe.

and love seein my boys up there gettin prizes as well bless up

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 13:35:03 (edited 2020-09-05 13:38:23)

this was super fun to join, and i cant wait to do more. everyone did awesome!

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 13:37:46

Congrats to all the winners, Thanks for making this fun jam.

Also hope everyone enjoyed the entries.

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 13:42:14

Congrats to all the winners! <3 BTW I'm hoping for a more general kind of theme for the next animation jam, something like the Talking Pet thing.

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 13:50:16 (edited 2020-09-05 13:50:46)

Congratulations to all the winners and really all who participated! :D Lots of fantastic stuff this month. I wish I could vote the Neo Turf Masters - Triple Bogey Gif into among the monthly animation winners, its just so good, but then again so are the animations we got here :) Great stuff overall!

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 14:01:03

At 9/5/20 12:50 PM, DreaminErryDay wrote: Yes.

YES!!! When I thought of the idea, I was hoping that you would be up for this! I know how you love Darkstalkers!

Need a voice actor? Give me a call! I've got 13 years of experience and great vocal range.

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 14:14:34

Thank you so much! I had a lot of fun participating on this event!

Congratulations everybody! <3 <3 <3

Do you like my art? Why don't you support me on KO-FI

I'm also taking commissions! Please check out my prices HERE!

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 14:44:57

Oh wow Thank-you Guys :D

Really enjoyed this Jam and seeing all the cool stuff people made

Looking forward to future Jams (Dark stalkers Jam sounds awesome!)

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 15:19:06

Messages have been sent to the first 5 winners of the animation, art and music category. Be sure to fill out the form to receive your winning packages to the postal address you've provided. Mail goes out next week so do that as soon as possible. Happy to be a part of this awesome jam and be able to provided cool physical prizes for the winners. Hope to do more of this in the future.

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 15:35:11

Yooooo! I’m stoked I actually placed for this jam! I really tried to take this movie a step up from all my previous animation jam submissions and it payed off! Congrats to everyone else as well! Well deserved hell yeahhhhhh

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 15:45:27

Congrats to the winners!!!

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 15:49:53

congrats to the winners, was alot of fun making and working with the boys :D

BBS Signature

Response to Neo Geo Jam Winners! 2020-09-05 17:15:47

At 9/5/20 12:20 PM, DevAesthetic wrote: yo congrats to the winners! Personally never played any SNK game at all but this jam made me considered that I should get a SNK system.
but yeah these entries were amazing!

Or just pick up Metal Slug Anthology and KOF XIII and XIV and start there.

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature