00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kinoki just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is moving out at 18 too early?

552 Views | 6 Replies

Is moving out at 18 too early? 2017-09-01 14:39:20

So, next year I am talking a gap year. And during this gap year I'll be away from my house working for a few months and probably living in a different state. I'll have days off where I could come back but honestly I'd rather take those days to travel out the country depending on how much money I have. I think it's a bit too early for me to go. My older sister says that I won't be successful out on my own. Including my dad. I feel like I'll probably miss living with my parents and little sister. I don't have any friends and I barely talk to the family in my state now. I was so excited about this program until I heard what my dad and sister said now I'm worried they're right. I was always told that I wouldn't be intelligent enough to live independently or take care of myself due to my disabilities and how different I am. I just feel a little guilty for even trying to travel but this is what I really wanted to do. And I have a chance getting paid if I'm accepted. Should I really take in consideration what they said or I'm just overthinking? I'm basically told that college is the smartest choice for me.

Response to Is moving out at 18 too early? 2017-09-01 14:46:52

At 9/1/17 02:42 PM, Sekhem wrote: you should be fine

what's your disability, though

I'm cross eyed. I can't see far away and I think I have some sort of neve damage.

I've been told I have ADHD and I'm emontally disturbed. I have behavioral problems.

Yeah, that's about it. I've gotten a lot of hell for it

At 9/3/17 07:57 AM, RightTime wrote:
Maybe this is the >>right time<<

Sorry, I couldn't resist pointing that out.

Honestly though, as another fellow 18 year old I don't think it's a good idea unless you know exactly what you're doing and depending what area you're in. If you're somewhere rural that's cheap and you have a decent job, then it's certainly possible. But I'd heavily suggest staying home and saving that money rather than using it for rent, so that way if you move out in a couple years time you'll have a ton of funds to fall back on.
Idk though, that might just be me. 0:

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Is moving out at 18 too early? 2017-09-06 13:51:26

Provided as long as you can support yourself (disability aside) then I'd be incine to say it's not too early.

BBS Signature

Response to Is moving out at 18 too early? 2017-09-06 14:05:39

I think moving out has a lot to do with culture. There are plenty of countries where an entire family owns a big property and lives there indefinitely, while in other situation kids are forced to run away from an abusive household and take care of themselves at extremely young ages. It really depends on your situation and what you're looking to do.

Traveling around sounds like it could be good for you, but the biggest problem with a gap year is you can lose a lot of momentum if you fall out of the academic rhythm, so to speak.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Is moving out at 18 too early? 2017-09-07 20:44:18

if anyone tries to make fun of you for having eyes that look different tell them its because you took 500 hits of acid at the wall street stock exchange, got millions in CDLs ...oh jeus christ i need to stop this post now im too drunk to be posting right now

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Is moving out at 18 too early? 2017-09-08 00:29:52

I moved out at 16. family tradition to make the kids better at handling the shitty world. It's hard as fuck and if you're that young you will couchsurf, but no, you can do it as long as you have the absolute determination to make it work. your money can be budgeted, don't spend it like a fucking idiot. Eat healthy, work at least 40 a week at a shit job, and have a side hustle. idk if you do art or what not but now in your life is a good time to pick up a trait like this. sell your shit, apply to studios. I'm 18 now and I have a full time job as a concept artist, working on a film, and work the other 40 hours a week on my startup comic company :) Gone for now are the days of working at party city and smoking pot with smash bros players. Be a man, pull all nighters, work constantly, and in two years you'll get more pussy than most 20 year olds because of your new found confidence in yourself. #coldshowercrew #wholegrains4gainscrew #vegancakefrostingcrew

Come on down to Feet Village open 24/7 schedule your visit today!

BBS Signature