00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Battlaxe just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The "Voter Fraud Commission"

2,440 Views | 30 Replies

I was going to post this a few weeks ago, but more and more things came out about it and I was seeing where it all went.

I'll start with some background on all this:

Trump for the past year, or so, kept claiming that our election system was rigged against him, only to win the general election. He then claimed that the US had a massive voter fraud problem, suggesting that 3 to 5 million voted illegally- the amount he lost the popular vote by. He didn't have any proof for this, and he ignored hundreds of studies done by academia, and both political parties, who could only find a few dozen cases of it - with more stories about Republicans being caught trying to commit it because they heard how easy it was. This has such high priority on his list, more important than the hacking of the DNC, or the attempted hacking of several states election systems - which he has shown no interest in looking into - that he signed an executive order a few months ago to create the "Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity".

This commission is technically bipartisan, made up of 6 member, 3 republicans and 3 Democrats. I say technically, because while it does have members from both parties involved, it's really being lead by 3 well known Republicans activists, who have a history of promoting voter laws to make it harder for people to vote, and register. The Democrat members are basically nobodies. Seriously, all I know is that one was an election clerks, or something, with one wondering why he was picked to be a member of the commission. And early this month, one of the Democrat committee member resigned for unknown reasons.

So who are the 3 Republican members leading the commission? The head of the committee is Vice President, Mike Pence, who is known for sending police to raid organizations that register minorities weeks before elections, on questionable accusations of voter fraud. The 2nd in command is Kansas's Secretary of State, Kris Kobach, who enacted the strictest voter laws in the country, and has advised Trump to pursue similar laws on the federal level. The final Republican member is Hans von Spakovsky, who is a voter fraud alarmist and has worked tirelessly to promote tougher voter laws in states for the past 2 decades.

So, it's pretty obvious where all this is heading, and what they are going to propose to the president, regardless of their findings. But the other problem is how they are going about this. Their first order of business was to demand that all US states turn over personnel information of all their registered voters, this includes full name, date of birth, SSN, party affiliation, and voting history since 2006 (when Republicans lost control of Congress). Even the DOJ was sending letters to states on the same day seeking information on how states purge their voter rolls, making sure they are in compliance with the Voter Registration Act of 1993, which determines when voters can be kicked off - which some see as a fishing attempt to go after states that they determine are in non-compliance to it.

To say the least, they stirred up a hornets nest, not just from Democrat states, but also from Red states, who are pretty furious at what the commission is requesting from them. Some states are outright ignoring it, which has infuriated Trump, who tweeted "what are they trying to hide". But most states are only releasing some of the information, citing state laws for why they can't release all of it - including one of the commission's own, Kris Kobach. This has also lead to various lawsuits against them, and many people trying to un-register to vote (which is pretty stupid). Currently the commission has put the data collection on hold, for the moment, to deal with lawsuits against it.

The reason for all this?

It's been kinda confusing following all this shit, because a lot of it seems like smoke. The purpose of the commission was quite clear from the beginning: To promote the idea of widespread voter fraud, regardless of the evidence against it, and to promote tougher voter laws all across the country, which would disenfranchise, or make it harder to vote, or register, for millions of legal US citizens, especially for the poor and minority groups, who have a higher tendency to vote Democrat. And Trump formed this commission to further delegitimize our voting system, ignoring the DNC hacking, or attempted hacking of state election systems, by forming a commission, lead by people who would try to legitimize his claims for why he lost the popular vote, all because his ego would not allow the idea that more legitimate voters didn't want to vote for him than did.

The idea that this was a bipartisan commission at the start was a laugh, because it was being lead by Republicans, who had a history of promoting tougher voting laws, while the 3 Democrats remained largely unknown, or unimportant, as if they were only there as an afterthought, only to make the commission seem vaguely legitimate. But the biggest and most confusing farce was the data collection of hundreds of millions of voter personnel information. This was bizarre, not only because it defied conservative philosophy about government collecting such data on millions of US citizens (like over Firearms), but one of the committee's own members, Kris Kobach, should have known it wouldn't have worked because of his state laws - which he used as a reason not to send all the information which his commission required. And if you think about it, not only was it legally questionable for a commission ( which had no government oversight) to ask for such information, it would also require a specialized database to store all of it in (a gift-wrapped present to Russia?), and it would require thousands of people to go through it and check against some government database to see if each one of them were legitimate US citizens - even though much of the information they would get would be incomplete - and the whole thing would take years to go through. The more you think about it, not only does it seem like a poorly conceived idea, but a con-man's game.

So, it seems like it was all about the motions of trying to be a legitimate investigation, even though though it was impossible for them to do what they set out to do, knowing full well that they were doing a lot of bullshitting. Now, at their first meeting with Trump, Kobach is already saying that it's unknown if Clinton got the popular vote, while Trump is reiterating his complaints about States trying to hide something about voter fraud by not complying with the commissions demands on personal information. So, we will see where it goes from here

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-07-20 04:21:46

To be honest, as someone who's from a country where all adult citizens are automatically allowed to vote without having to jump through any hoops (seriously, I only need to show my passport at the booth), I find that whole registration thing that the US have going to be an attempt to restrict democracy in and of itself.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-07-20 11:16:47

Don't forget the rather ironic response to critics saying they don't want the government to have all of their sensitive information in one place by releasing all of their information publicly. It's not quite doxxing (since that's a little more targetted), but it's pretty dman close.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-07-21 18:16:26

At 7/21/17 05:00 PM, SamPercy wrote: Thats too much, give me the cliff notes

Your loss...

Trump has a history of trying to undermine our election system, claiming it's rigged, or that their is voter fraud, as a way to feed his ego for why he didn't win. He is currently upset that he didn't win the popular vote, so he signed an executive order to create a commission to investigate the integrity of our election system.

The commission is supposedly bipartisan, but it's being lead by 3 Republican activists who have a history of promoting stricter voter laws on who is allowed to vote, and register, claiming there is massive voter fraud - ignoring the hundreds of past investigations into it by both political parties, and academia, which found very little of it. The 3 democrats on the commission are unknowns, with one recently quieting.

Ignoring warnings of the recent hacking of the DNC, or the numerous hacking attempts on many state voter registration systems and voting equipment, the commission is solely focused on voter fraud. Their first act was to request from all states the personnel information of their registered voters, with full name, SNN, party affiliation, and voting history, where they would then put all this into some type of general database(?) and go through each of them (over hundred million) by comparing them to federal databases to determine if they are legit.

Most states either outright declined, seeing it as nothing but a waste of time and money, or cited state laws for why they couldn't release all the requested information - including one of the three Republican commission's members. After the backlash, and lawsuits, the commission decide to hold off on collecting the information, while Trump is accusing states of hiding something.

The legality of this commission (which has no government oversight) to ask for hundreds of millions of personnel voter information is downright illegal. At least one member of the commission, who is a secretary of Kansas, should have known this. It also goes against Republican philosophy about government collecting personnel information (like registration). And the idea that a 6 member commission, without the aid of thousands of people, to go through hundreds of millions of voter personnel information, within a short time, is improbable.

In essence, the whole thing was a fraud to begin with, only meant to generate talking points for Trump, and conservatives, and bring doubt about the integrity of millions of voters in this country, as a pretext to pursue stricter voting laws on the federal level, which has a high chance of disenfranchising more legit people, mostly poor and minorities, who are viewed to vote Democrat, than those committing voter fraud

That's the best I can do on streamlining this.

At 7/21/17 06:22 PM, SamPercy wrote: Jesus, almost like some people don't want some people to vote

I've always felt people we're cunts, but I never said they should have their vote taken away, now they'll likely have that done because of some perceived threat

eurgh, must really like being hypocrites

The funny thing is that I hear more cases about Republicans getting caught trying to vote twice at multiple voting sites, or trying to vote as a dead person, because they heard about how it easy it was to do this by the conservative media, who keeps promoting the idea of massive voter fraud in the country.

At 7/21/17 06:16 PM, EdyKel wrote: The legality of this commission (which has no government oversight) to ask for hundreds of millions of personnel voter information is downright illegal. At least one member of the commission, who is a secretary of Kansas, should have known this. It also goes against Republican philosophy about government collecting personnel information (like registration). And the idea that a 6 member commission, without the aid of thousands of people, to go through hundreds of millions of voter personnel information, within a short time, is improbable.

That should be "(Like gun registration)".

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-07-21 20:42:51

At 7/20/17 04:21 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: To be honest, as someone who's from a country where all adult citizens are automatically allowed to vote without having to jump through any hoops (seriously, I only need to show my passport at the booth), I find that whole registration thing that the US have going to be an attempt to restrict democracy in and of itself.

The problem for Republicans is that they do very very badly with the demographics that are on the rise in this country (minorities, youth, etc). So it becomes the "if you can't beat 'em, fuck 'em" sort of game. This is a more insidious form the whole gerrymandering idea (which at least on that one the Right can correctly claim "Hey, the Left is pulling that shit too....they just don't get hit as much or as hard about it" which has a grain or so of truth), whereby you attempt to rig the ballot box to your advantage.

The good news here is that the response so far (even among Republican office holders) in most states has been "yeah, no. You'll get what's publicly available, and the rest of our data stays put and you can fuck off". So this is becoming yet another heartening example of when Trump and co try to break a political norm and restrict Democracy, the system fights back and says "no".

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-07-24 07:30:00

At 7/20/17 04:21 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: To be honest, as someone who's from a country where all adult citizens are automatically allowed to vote without having to jump through any hoops (seriously, I only need to show my passport at the booth), I find that whole registration thing that the US have going to be an attempt to restrict democracy in and of itself.

You have to show I.D.? How oppressive!!!

Were you aware that many states and local governments in the U.S. do not require photo I.D. to vote? Does that seem right?

"Sometimes reputations outlive their applications. Sometimes fires don't go out when you're done playing with them."

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-07-24 10:49:01

At 7/24/17 07:30 AM, anvilpoundcake wrote:
Were you aware that many states and local governments in the U.S. do not require photo I.D. to vote? Does that seem right?

Seeing how ball-crushingly difficult getting away with fraud is even without a photo-ID is, yeah, I see zero issue with that.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-07-24 12:40:44

At 7/24/17 07:30 AM, anvilpoundcake wrote: Were you aware that many states and local governments in the U.S. do not require photo I.D. to vote? Does that seem right?

But they do require registration. My country requires nothing of the sort.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-07-27 18:30:17

At 7/24/17 12:40 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 7/24/17 07:30 AM, anvilpoundcake wrote: Were you aware that many states and local governments in the U.S. do not require photo I.D. to vote? Does that seem right?
But they do require registration. My country requires nothing of the sort.

The process of getting a passport is much more invasive and involved than registering to vote. You don't even need to leave your home to register.

At 7/24/17 10:49 AM, Gario wrote:
At 7/24/17 07:30 AM, anvilpoundcake wrote:
Seeing how ball-crushingly difficult getting away with fraud is even without a photo-ID is, yeah, I see zero issue with that.

Yeah, that's why Identity theft is barely a thing.

"Sometimes reputations outlive their applications. Sometimes fires don't go out when you're done playing with them."

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-07-27 19:57:27

At 7/27/17 06:30 PM, anvilpoundcake wrote:

Not even remotely the same thing there, buddy, but nice try.

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-07-28 09:33:35

At 7/27/17 06:30 PM, anvilpoundcake wrote: The process of getting a passport is much more invasive and involved than registering to vote. You don't even need to leave your home to register.

The point is, it's not tied to voting in any way. It's just a proof of my citizenship. And if voting is a civil right (as well it should be) that's all that should be required.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

so, the latest news is that Kris Kobach, the vice chairman of this voter fraud commission, had been sued by the ACLU, who are seeking the release of documents he showed Trump, way back in November of last year, which contain plans for changes to the US election law. The courts have ruled against him, pointing out that he misled them about their existence, which were partially photographed at a photo op with Trump. Kobach was fined and ordered to testify, but, instead, he has filed an appeal.

It seems like he's desperately trying to avoid revealing what were in those documents, as they would certainly could undermine not just his plans for new voter laws but the integrity of the commission that he is a part of.

Kobach tries to avoid answering questions under oath

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-08-04 10:18:17

At 7/28/17 09:33 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 7/27/17 06:30 PM, anvilpoundcake wrote: The process of getting a passport is much more invasive and involved than registering to vote. You don't even need to leave your home to register.
The point is, it's not tied to voting in any way. It's just a proof of my citizenship. And if voting is a civil right (as well it should be) that's all that should be required.

Being used to prove your citizenship, it's tied to voting. Can you vote without proof of who you are? Because here, you got people saying requiring an I.D. to vote is voter suppression.

At 7/27/17 07:57 PM, Gario wrote:
At 7/27/17 06:30 PM, anvilpoundcake wrote:

Yeah, cuz you say so. Very similar types of fraud.

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-08-04 23:29:06

At 8/4/17 10:18 AM, anvilpoundcake wrote:
Yeah, cuz you say so. Very similar types of fraud.

Okay, since you're the guy saying voter fraud is super easy, tell me how people would get around the voter registration in order to succeasfully commit the fraud. Considering we have fewer documented cases of fraud for the last election than I have music tracks posted on NG, you must think that people just didn't think it was worth it to swing this super important election?

I would go over why it's extremely difficult to commit voting fraud, but why bother? The numbers speak for themselves; people virtually don't bother, and when they do they're caught and arrested. "Voter fraud" has been and always will be a way to suppress votes for your opposition.

Go ahead, show me otherwise. Show me that it's just as easy as using a fake/stolen social security number to imitate someone else and you'll see how easily and quickly you'd either get caught or have your vote get discounted.

At 8/5/17 12:15 AM, Zornuzkull wrote:
At 8/4/17 11:29 PM, Gario wrote:
Okay, since you're the guy saying voter fraud is super easy, tell me how people would get around the voter registration in order to succeasfully commit the fraud.
fill buses with party faithful vote... cross state border vote again wash rinse repeat...

If it was that easy, Republicans who get caught voting as dead people, or trying to vote at multiple polling stations, wouldn't be in the news as often, because they are led to believe by the conservative media that it's easy to do and millions do it. But, as is, the data just keeps pointing to a few dozen trying to commit it every year - after all, the whole system is computerized, and voting officials can tell if the same person tries to vote multiple times, or tries to vote as a dead voter. It's not like a hundred years ago.

At 8/5/17 12:40 AM, Zornuzkull wrote:
At 8/5/17 12:30 AM, EdyKel wrote:
If it was that easy, Republicans who get caught voting as dead people, or trying to vote at multiple polling stations, wouldn't be in the news as often, because they are led to believe by the conservative media that it's easy to do and millions do it. But, as is, the data just keeps pointing to a few dozen trying to commit it every year, after all, the whole system is computerized, and people can tell if the same person votes multiple time, or tries to vote as a dead voter. It's not like a hundred years ago.
just answering the question... the tories pulled a similar trick in the uk with the local elections...
so it isnt exactly impossible like some would claim...

Err... Couldn't find anything that remotely describes this scenario. The closest I could find was the 2015 scandal, where the Tory party overspent, by wrongfully filing their expenses, on using "battlebuses" to transport activists, who went to campaign in certain constituencies on the behalf of the party. It was not voter fraud, just illegal campaign financing - which the charges were later dropped, because they could not prove it was wrongfully done.

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-08-05 01:49:50

At 8/5/17 01:18 AM, Zornuzkull wrote:
At 8/5/17 01:03 AM, EdyKel wrote:
Err... Couldn't find anything that remotely describes this scenario. The closest I could find was the 2015 scandal, where the Tory party overspent, by wrongfully filing their expenses, on using "battlebuses" to transport activists, who went to campaign in certain constituencies on the be half of the party to elect members of that party. It was not voter fraud, just illegal campaign financing.
seems my memory has failed me... moving around party activists for votes has been documented in the states though has it not? i recall something involving the democrats... a while back...

There are always stories, but never any real proof behind them. The most recent one was from an undercover sting video made by conservative activist, James O'Keefe's (who was caught trying to vote as a dead person once), which purports to having caught a DNC member professing how easy it is to commit voter fraud by busing people in. The video seems convincing, but that is how all his videos are, after creative editing, taking things out of context, or misleading them into saying something and then using that. You have to be careful of Okeefs videos. If you notice in the video he keeps editing out parts of the interview, including the original questions, while floating a theory about busing in people to do voter fraud with the guy seeming to agree. It doesn't actual show that any of it has happened, it just shows that they guy is going along with the idea of busing in voters to commit fraud. But, again, there is no solid proof that this has happened, just stories.

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-08-05 02:04:32

At 8/5/17 01:57 AM, Zornuzkull wrote: thanks for clarification @edykel...

No problem. This is internet. I can't tell you how many times I have been mislead, or taken in, by it. XD

Okay, since you're the guy saying voter fraud is super easy, tell me how people would get around the voter registration in order to succeasfully commit the fraud.
fill buses with party faithful vote... cross state border vote again wash rinse repeat...

In America, you're assigned a district, which has all the people eligible to vote on record at the designated location, verified by a person checking said record. If you show up to the wrong location, you're turned down because you're not on the list. If you applied to vote by mail, you get turned down without your mail-in ballot on hand (had it happen once in my first election - I didn't know better, had to drive home to get my unused mail-in ballot). If you've voted already, you get marked as such and cannot vote again.

Having a record of who can vote where on hand prevents this from being a viable tactic.

Just an update to this:

The voter fraud commission held their 2nd meeting last month. Not a whole lot came from it. A gun right's activist member suggested that voting should be treated like gun laws, where everyone has to get a background checks(who knew voting could be dangerous), and the cost of it should be shouldered by the states.

Also, it came out that one of the 3 main Republicans on the commission, Hans von Spakovsky, a voter law activist, did not want any Democrats on the panel, originally, claiming they would obstruct and criticize any investigation. It should remembered that the voter fraud commission is mostly made up of Republicans, many of whom have a history of promoting stricter voting laws because they claim their is suposed widespread voter fraud (which they still have no concrete proof for), with the rest of the commission made of mostly unknown Democrats who have no leadership positions in it.

One of the more eye raising things that happened last month was when the vice chair of the commission, Kris Kobach, wrote an op-ed for the Breibart Report (where former Trump advisor, Steve Bannon, works as an editor) arguing his case for stricter voter laws, because of alleged voter fraud. It should be remembered that the stated purpose of the commission was on a fact finding mission to see if widespread voter fraud exists, and what to do about it, not to act independently and make statements in support of something that has yet to be determined. So, this is just the latest evidence that the Republicans in charge of it have already made up their minds and are just using the commission to make it seem that it's bipartisan and objective when it's clearly not.

Now, the commission is being investigated by a government watchdog group. Not really sure what it will lead to. It's just another one of those memorable moments about a commission that has no other reason but to promote the ideas of our president.

Also, here is the update to which states complied to the commissions request for registered voter info, how much they gave them, and which states didn't waste time on it.

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-10-28 15:57:55

At 10/26/17 11:39 PM, EdyKel wrote: Now, the commission is being investigated by a government watchdog group. Not really sure what it will lead to. It's just another one of those memorable moments about a commission that has no other reason but to promote the ideas of our president.

This is a misnomer. Yes, Trump formed this commission simply to try and look like he was "doing something" about the "massive voter fraud" he was claiming. But by putting Kobach on it, he picked a strict right wing voting law activist who wants to make it harder for people unfriendly to his ideas and causes to vote. He's done it before. For Trump, he's probably all but forgotten this thing even exists and will spend little capitol fighting to keep it. But that doesn't mean it isn't dangerous or that it only ever existed to try and prove his fradulent claims.

Oh, and then there's the pedorist researcher, yeah, this thing is all kinds of upstanding....

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-10-29 14:24:22

At 10/28/17 03:57 PM, aviewaskewed wrote:
At 10/26/17 11:39 PM, EdyKel wrote: Now, the commission is being investigated by a government watchdog group. Not really sure what it will lead to. It's just another one of those memorable moments about a commission that has no other reason but to promote the ideas of our president.
This is a misnomer. Yes, Trump formed this commission simply to try and look like he was "doing something" about the "massive voter fraud" he was claiming. But by putting Kobach on it, he picked a strict right wing voting law activist who wants to make it harder for people unfriendly to his ideas and causes to vote. He's done it before. For Trump, he's probably all but forgotten this thing even exists and will spend little capitol fighting to keep it. But that doesn't mean it isn't dangerous or that it only ever existed to try and prove his fradulent claims.

Oh, and then there's the pedorist researcher, yeah, this thing is all kinds of upstanding....

I think Trump actually believes there is massive voter fraud in the country. His ego can not accept that he lost by 3 million votes. I think he's been constantly fed all these conspiracy theories, and fake news, by sites like the Breibart Report, who often flatter him, using that to manipulate him into promoting their views and policies as president. Trump is a simple minded person, who is as sharp as a blunt stick, an who will believes anything if he thinks it makes him look good.

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2017-10-29 19:30:16

At 10/29/17 02:24 PM, EdyKel wrote: I think Trump actually believes there is massive voter fraud in the country. His ego can not accept that he lost by 3 million votes. I think he's been constantly fed all these conspiracy theories, and fake news, by sites like the Breibart Report, who often flatter him, using that to manipulate him into promoting their views and policies as president. Trump is a simple minded person, who is as sharp as a blunt stick, an who will believes anything if he thinks it makes him look good.

Neat, all true I think. But beside the point of what I was saying. Downplaying the seriousness of something like this is dangerous because if not scrutinized it can do massive damage.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

At 10/29/17 07:30 PM, aviewaskewed wrote:
At 10/29/17 02:24 PM, EdyKel wrote: I think Trump actually believes there is massive voter fraud in the country. His ego can not accept that he lost by 3 million votes. I think he's been constantly fed all these conspiracy theories, and fake news, by sites like the Breibart Report, who often flatter him, using that to manipulate him into promoting their views and policies as president. Trump is a simple minded person, who is as sharp as a blunt stick, an who will believes anything if he thinks it makes him look good.
Neat, all true I think. But beside the point of what I was saying. Downplaying the seriousness of something like this is dangerous because if not scrutinized it can do massive damage.

I think the commission has already shot itself in the foot. It's led by three well known conservatives who believe in voter fraud, with the rest of the commission made up of unknowns, including Democrats that no one has ever heard of. So the whole notion that there was bipartisanship in it was a joke. And this was one of the main reasons why their action of calling all states to submit the personal information of all registered voters was a spectacular failure, because blue states didn't see it as anything more than a partisan which hunt that would cost them millions in dollars to comply with. The other main reason for it's failure was the commission asking for personal information on hundreds of millions of US citizens. That didn't just alarm liberals, it alarmed conservatives as well, who often see such actions as government overreach - it's a similar argument they have against gun registration. And the nail in the Coffin was Kris Kobach, who couldn't even comply with his own commission's request, failing to supply all the requested personnel information on his states registered voters due to his own states laws that he should have known about. So, the commission is getting partial information on millions of registered voters, not from all the states, which they can't go through without the help of thousands of people, who wouldn't even be able to verify the validity of who is legit or not without all of the information. And all this has created bad press for the commission, started by an unpopular president that fewer and fewer people trust.

My point is that it's not going to change anyone's mind. Not the ones on the right who believe in voter fraud, or the people on the left who are skeptical of the claims about voter fraud. The commission was supposed to try to make it seem that it was a credible, objective, and bipartisan, investigation into it... and they fucked that up royally. And their investigation has only shown just how incompetent they are. Even if they did come to a conclusion about their being widespread voter fraud, it wouldn't really matter. Trump would still promote stricter voter laws because he has already undermined our election integrity by publicly doubting it and supporting conspiracies of voter fraud - because his ego demands it. And if Congress wanted to bring up the legislature to restrict voting rights they could, with or without the recommendation of the commission. And red states will continue to take away voter rights, and promote stricter laws that disenfranchise hundreds of thousands, and the Conservative justices in the Supreme court will support it. There have been dozens of investigations into voter fraud, by both parties, and it's been debunked, over and over, but it continues to drive the right, because it's their path to victory in races that are becoming tighter and tighter for them, in areas that were traditionally conservative, while also going further to the right to excite their dwindling base into coming out and vote for them because they can no longer appease independents or moderates without losing their aforementioned base.

According to Republican Reasoning, if one or more voters have the same name, and same birth date, then they are fake, and examples of voter fraud. This reasoning allows them to throw out huge numbers to convince people that their claims about widespread voter fraud is true. So, they use this to pass stricter voter laws, or make it easier to get rid of people on the registration rolls. That's what Indiana recently did.

This whole thing has been investigated by several universities, and organization, who have found that there is very little truth behind it. In fact, not only are their a lot people with the same name, and birth dates, who are all legit, but many them are minorities - who rarely vote for Republicans

The reason I bring this up is that that this reasoning was farted out by our favorite voter suppression activist, Kris Kobach, who is currently the second in charge of Trump's voter fraud commission - which recently requested all the states to send them the personnel information of their registered voters, with much of it being just the names and birth dates (with everything else missing, or being partial like SSN, if they are given). So, I am sure that the commission is going to try and use this ethod to generate big numbers, as they are obviously going to recommend stricter voter laws to Trump.

On a side note, the commission is being criticized for how they are not keeping all this data of registered voters secure enough. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in the hands of Russia, or North Korea.

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2018-01-03 20:21:19

Trump finally ends the voter fraud commission. His reason: States defied him, and did not allow him to collect a database of hundreds of millions of voters in the country.

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2018-01-03 20:36:28

At 1/3/18 08:21 PM, EdyKel wrote: Trump finally ends the voter fraud commission. His reason: States defied him, and did not allow him to collect a database of hundreds of millions of voters in the country.

Not a bad way to start the new year, eh? :)

At 1/3/18 08:36 PM, Gario wrote:
At 1/3/18 08:21 PM, EdyKel wrote: Trump finally ends the voter fraud commission. His reason: States defied him, and did not allow him to collect a database of hundreds of millions of voters in the country.
Not a bad way to start the new year, eh? :)

The whole thing was just a scam to begin with.

Unfortunately, from one bad idea to another... The Trump administration is booting the investigation to homeland security, particular the department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), who have less experience than the commission on voter fraud. The former head of the Trump's now defunct commission, Kris Kobach, applauded the move, and pointed out that "political appointees overseeing that agency" will be doing the investigation.

Response to The "Voter Fraud Commission" 2018-01-08 12:34:58

At 1/5/18 02:30 PM, EdyKel wrote: Unfortunately, from one bad idea to another... The Trump administration is booting the investigation to homeland security, particular the department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), who have less experience than the commission on voter fraud. The former head of the Trump's now defunct commission, Kris Kobach, applauded the move, and pointed out that "political appointees overseeing that agency" will be doing the investigation.

This is of course worse. Because a commission like Kobach's provides a big target, it provides something for the media to point at and scruitinize, and I imagine it makes legal action easier too. But by kicking it down into "another thing this cabinet level department will do" it seeks to bury the lead, allow it to work more secretly and it's going to be harder to level popular resistance against it I think. This is going to actually need MORE scrutiny now I think then perhaps the previous comission did.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature