00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

snoozerzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorite Tool

1,225 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Favorite Tool 2017-05-11 01:13:03

..song...what's you're favorite Tool song?

Mine's Third Eye.

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-11 08:47:10

At 5/11/17 01:30 AM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
At 5/11/17 01:13 AM, EoD696 wrote: ..song...what's you're favorite Tool song?

Mine's Third Eye.
Why Third Eye? I was expecting yours to be Stinkfist

Stinkfist is good...its hard to find a bad Tool song actually, but Third Eye is just...I dunno, it's awesome.

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-12 06:11:23 (edited 2017-05-12 06:18:35)

You know what it is? It's fucking religious for me...

I'm a universalist - I was raised a protestant, so that's how I see God. But...I think God speaks to different people in different ways, and, consequently, I think all religion's have merit, to their own specific degree in how it relates to their culture. The third eye is a hindu concept - one of divine vision. I think Tool bridges the gap between us Christians and they Hindu with this song in such an emotionally charged way that I've never fully appreciated...until they spoke it to me. I've studied Hinduism as a science, the way university told me...this makes it so much more clear. To me. I will hear this song again a thousand times before I die...

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-12 18:07:36

Mine's Third Eye.

I agree that's probably the best Tool song, with the diversity, and dramatic buildup and development in 13-14 powerful minutes

H. is really cool too...I mean it sounds like a prototypical Tool song, but there's something about the atmosphere, lyrics, 'hand' percussion in this track that does it for me...has a certain ambient vibe moreso than other Tool tracks

Aenima struck me by surprise when I first heard it...with the dynamically looped "learn to swim" backing vocals- this section sounds amazing on headphones

Reflection is p. good, in particular the mixing/FX.

At 5/11/17 08:47 AM, EoD696 wrote:
At 5/11/17 01:30 AM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:

Mine's Third Eye.
Why Third Eye? I was expecting yours to be Stinkfist
Stinkfist is good...its hard to find a bad Tool song actually, but Third Eye is just...I dunno, it's awesome.

The Pot from Tool's latest release (it's been over a decade already!! wtf) didn't do it for me. Didn't Like Maynard's whiny voice in this track, and the composition is too much like a pop song.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-12 18:22:12

Wow u guys listen​to Tool shit. As much as people shit talk about Lateralus I actually like it.

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-13 04:13:23 (edited 2017-05-13 04:16:27)

At 5/12/17 06:33 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote: Actually Stinkfist isn't my favorite Tool song.
I was just fucking with the OP implying that 'Stinkfisting' was something he'd be able to identify with in real life.
As generic as it is, 'Sober' is my favorite song of theirs.

Yeah, we got pretty raunchy in that other thread....it got to a point I was just like "i'm done, this has gone far enough." lolz

Links, motherfuckers...did you not get the memo about the links?

At 5/12/17 06:07 PM, S3C wrote: H., Aenima, Reflection, The Pot

H. is fucking amazing. That's a close second for me.

Learn to swim - creeps me out too. That breathing - "hey, hey, hey, hey" - brilliant. And I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three ring circus sideshow.

Reflection is kinda cucked imo. I don't like that synth - it screams wb producer to me, not maynard - not Tool. That stringy thingy lead though...that's pretty awesome. And the drums and bass are just immaculate, as always.

I like the Pot. I think that intro is fantastic - that vocal rhythm is not very Maynard, and maybe that's why it sticks out to me...the hits are so epic in this one too. It's easy to dismiss because it touches on something popular, but...I think they did themselves justice with it.

At 5/12/17 06:22 PM, MactaMendax wrote: Lateralus

I bought a pipe at a smoke shop once, and the girl behind the counter gave me stickers with phrases written on the back of them: "swing on the spiral" and "all this pain is an illusion." It took me weeks to realize they were Maynard quotes. I'm an idiot...but I seriously felt some kind of divine inspiration just from seeing the words, and not even realizing they're from Lateralus.

At 5/12/17 06:33 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote: Sober

The coolest thing about Sober is it's music video. It's really an epic display of what Tool is though. I don't think it's cliche. It's a strong entry. Tool at it's beginning was probably the least palatable, and the most defining. Sober, Prison Sex, Stinkfist - these define the essence of disarray that sets Tool apart.

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-13 04:52:29 (edited 2017-05-13 04:53:41)

At 5/13/17 04:13 AM, EoD696 wrote:
At 5/12/17 06:22 PM, MactaMendax wrote: Lateralus
I bought a pipe at a smoke shop once, and the girl behind the counter gave me stickers with phrases written on the back of them: "swing on the spiral" and "all this pain is an illusion." It took me weeks to realize they were Maynard quotes. I'm an idiot...but I seriously felt some kind of divine inspiration just from seeing the words, and not even realizing they're from Lateralus.

lmao parabola...it was parabola where those quotes came from...i'm still an idiot.

How come no one said parabola yet? :-P

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-13 21:24:10 (edited 2017-05-13 21:27:15)

Tool music make you think about everything from their stuff. Their music is just so deep and mindfucking. Sober is fucky and insane. If there's a meditation metal genre, it's Tool.

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-14 19:17:34

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-19 01:41:09

At 5/14/17 07:17 PM, Alias wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hglVqACd1C8

Yeah well, ok...if it's been linked, forgoe the link. Otherwise..links...its not hard, man...its like knowing which side of the walkway to walk on when you're at the mall on a saturday afternoon...come on...school, fish..fuckin school...

I'm also surprised that Ticks and Leeches has not yet had a mention...

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-19 08:38:05

At 5/19/17 01:41 AM, EoD696 wrote: Yeah well, ok...if it's been linked, forgoe the link. Otherwise..links...its not hard, man...its like knowing which side of the walkway to walk on when you're at the mall on a saturday afternoon...come on...school, fish..fuckin school...

I didn't realize u were the almighty rule maker and that I must obey ur rules

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-19 14:58:44

At 5/19/17 08:38 AM, Alias wrote:
At 5/19/17 01:41 AM, EoD696 wrote: Yeah well, ok...if it's been linked, forgoe the link. Otherwise..links...its not hard, man...its like knowing which side of the walkway to walk on when you're at the mall on a saturday afternoon...come on...school, fish..fuckin school...

I didn't realize u were the almighty rule maker and that I must obey ur rules

Well now you know :-P I dont really give a shit, I thought you were trying to make a point - that links all to the same thing might pop up in a bunch of replies. It's not like I'm gonna do anything...I'm just trying to make things make sense.

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-19 21:42:52

At 5/19/17 02:58 PM, EoD696 wrote: I'm just trying to make things make sense.

why would anyone want to do that, that wouldn't make sense

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-20 03:56:43

Schism. Also the best video by Tool.

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-22 05:02:14 (edited 2017-05-22 05:07:17)

At 5/20/17 03:56 AM, WaffleCrisp wrote: Schism. Also the best video by Tool.

voila

also...bump.

There's something to be said for the visual art which accompanies many tool songs. I am often confused by it - it's not at all what I expected, listening to the song it supposedly represents. They tend to feel like disconnected works to me...because I feel the music through my own perception...I could never imagine the intricate depictions that are displayed in most of their videos...it's rather normie in my mind...rather boring, honestly...

Response to Favorite Tool 2017-05-22 23:15:47

At 5/22/17 05:02 AM, EoD696 wrote:
At 5/20/17 03:56 AM, WaffleCrisp wrote: Schism. Also the best video by Tool.
voila

also...bump.

There's something to be said for the visual art which accompanies many tool songs. I am often confused by it - it's not at all what I expected, listening to the song it supposedly represents. They tend to feel like disconnected works to me...because I feel the music through my own perception...I could never imagine the intricate depictions that are displayed in most of their videos...it's rather normie in my mind...rather boring, honestly...

I saw the video schism first. To me, the video is like the division​ of God through​ Adam and Eve. Eve is controlling Adam, the reverse of roles, leading to the fire, being lake of fire. And the unnatural schism it creates through some abomination of life(the split heads a schism) The tree in the video, the misery that knowledge creates, knowledge of good and evil. Eve controlled Adam and helped him come to this knowledge. She was his helper. I used to read too much into things when I came up with these ideas.

I don't care what Keenan was trying to portray.