00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

novaruah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Classic Game Music Appreciation

1,123 Views | 17 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-05-04 19:47:34

How is this version of this song better than all the other, newer, high quality, actual instrumental versions?

Post any you feel have also not been surpassed!

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-05-10 03:03:27

Meh, nostalgia never got us anywhere and all we would be doing is wishing for the past all the time.
That sort of attitude stops people from even finding out new music because all they want is the "oh so much better Kakariko Village" or somesuch, or the 8-bit Mario theme, above all else. I'd be stuck wanting the Kingdom Hearts 1 soundtrack instead of listening to newer stuff and discovering other composers.

I find songs which are currently unsurpassed, but they're not classic ones. They're relatively new. Like, a decade ago new (and I find their remakes and extensions even better). I speak, of course, about the Ar tonelico soundtracks. And yet, as a musician, I know something will eventually outshine them and take their place.

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-05-10 05:20:16

I don't think it's inherently better or worse than newer iterations, because to me it's determined by how fitting it is to the style of the game, as well as the reaction it elicits.

Fly Like a Butterfly
Funky Dealer

JSRF's soundtrack is my absolute favorite, and I don't think it's been topped. It's very distinct too and not many games has this kind of style.

I do like the original JSR's soundtrack a lot too though, it had a slightly more lighthearted style which was fitting for the game.
Funky Radio
Sneakman

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-05-10 14:11:08

Listen to New Sound Effects and Music Weekly on Newgrounds, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
http://youtube.com/c/calicrazedbeats

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-05-10 14:28:41

At 5/10/17 02:11 PM, calicrazedbeats wrote: Listen to New Sound Effects and Music Weekly on Newgrounds, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
http://youtube.com/c/calicrazedbeats

hey man look we don't need none of your sh*t in here m8.

We're about seeing which midi chip melodies stood the real tests of time.. Still providing us a beautiful listening experience, either original or remastered.

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-05-11 00:02:01

At 5/4/17 07:47 PM, AcidX wrote: How is this version of this song better than all the other, newer, high quality, actual instrumental versions?

Not surpassed...ever.

Midi can never compete with performance oriented music. Koji Kondo knew this...which is why this music was originally written for performance, rather than for midi. If you write music, take note - DON'T START WITH MIDI! START WITH A GOOD IDEA!

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-05-11 00:16:16

that said...composing for midi is hard. Still, people found ways of making it interesting and engaging and cool, nonetheless:

toejam and earl
battletoads
dkc

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-05-11 03:37:50

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-05-11 07:18:08

At 5/11/17 03:37 AM, Pipsqueak1973 wrote: Radar Rat Race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OviOgGS4rU

Not terrible considering the technology, tough it gets a but stale as it loops, so nothing particularly pops out to me; but it gets the job done and works fine for the game.

I've been playing lots of fallout 2 recently; and I love these two tracks here and here.

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-05-11 18:06:27

At 5/11/17 12:02 AM, EoD696 wrote:
At 5/4/17 07:47 PM, AcidX wrote: How is this version of this song better than all the other, newer, high quality, actual instrumental versions?

Not surpassed...ever.

So cool! Love a good melodica.
And always loved that Toe Jam & Earl soundtrack.

One of my favorite soundtracks of old.

And the PS2 game they did years later had a beautiful orchestral soundtrack.

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-05-11 19:41:13

Lemme tell you something about the Amiga.
GODS for example.

Time to bust a move and get it started. Time's wastin'.

-Mace 2.0

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-05-12 03:51:40

The music from classic Doom can be played on just about anything.

E1M1 for example:

OST
General MIDI
OPL
8 Floppy disks...
A dot matrix printer...

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

At 5/11/17 10:42 AM, MrPerciePercy wrote: Half-Life 2, if you can consider it a recent classic

Half-Life 2 is definitely considered a classic! As with both Half-Life games, it broke incredible new territory with its engine and influenced thousands of games to follow. So that makes it a classic ;)

At 5/11/17 10:42 AM, MrPerciePercy wrote: I really like the soundtrack, even if it doesn't work so well on its own, it works really well with the game world.

For sure. Both Half Life's have really fitting music which draw you in and create a sense of immersion, like all good videogame music does. They might not stick out in our minds, like a Mario melody does, but a lot of games certainly don't have music which perfectly captures the atmosphere like that.. Often, music can feel like an afterthought, added by someone totally removed from the creation process... So... Yeah, good call.

In a similar vein... Whilst we're on a retro PC gaming vibe...
How can we forget the System Shock 2 OST! With it's DnB breaks and all kinds of weird ambient eeriness. I sure hope they revisit that for SS3.

Awww hell and why not System Shock 1 OST too. That had some retro bangers as well.

Game musics ftw!
I'll be putting these tracks into a playlist for working to and getting in the zone with, so keep em coming.

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-05-12 13:54:53

For me, this will always be one of my favorite video game soundtracks of all time. A classic.

Main theme

Kraid's Lair

And I had to post these instrumental versions. Barring any trickery, they are pure awsome.

Kraid's Lair on piano

Brinstar on violin

And Brinstar acapella

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-05-17 08:58:56

At 5/12/17 01:54 PM, thenoodge wrote: For me, this will always be one of my favorite video game soundtracks of all time.

Oooo Metroid. Yes yes! Great choice.
Recently re-played Metroid Prime trilogy and forgot how good the music was, even in those. The originals definitely capture the melodies perfect. Nice one.

Also, did anyone ever play Killer Instinct on the SNES? Did your copy come with the SOUNDTRACK CD!!?
Ok, not strictly the original music but... Still awesome.

Another thing I've been listening to lately is the FFVII Advent Children soundtrack.
Has me wondering what direction they will take the music in the remake?

Maybe check out Club Stoic and consider resurrecting it if you're interested.

Here's a few tracks you might not have heard before -

Dark Saint from Lost Odyssey
Battle of the Holy from Castlevania: The Adventure
Lonely Rolling Star from Katamari Damacy

At 5/12/17 03:51 AM, Painbringer wrote: A dot matrix printer...

God damn

At 5/17/17 08:58 AM, AcidX wrote: Another thing I've been listening to lately is the FFVII Advent Children soundtrack.
Has me wondering what direction they will take the music in the remake?

I'll not get my hopes up. Nobuo Uematsu is easily my favorite composer so I'm biased, but I think FF's music has been rapidly declining since he left. The soundtrack of XV is okay but nothing stands out, it's like a generically "epic" movie score. In FFVII there's just so many tracks and like 90% are incredibly catchy and memorable.

I'm sure it'll be fine, perfectly serviceable, but it won't be as distinct as the original even if they stick quite closely to the old tracks. Modern big budget game soundtracks are starting to just blend together.

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-10-29 19:31:57

sup nerds.
Here we go, the playlist so far:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS5Gcrg2N_f6Oe5R8X4gG5MVVkPD06jfv

Currently only official versions, no covers or alt takes. I'm thinking of adding those to the end and keeping them at the end of the list.

Feel free to keep suggestions comin in.

Response to Classic Game Music Appreciation 2017-11-09 16:10:12

At 5/11/17 07:18 AM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
At 5/11/17 03:37 AM, Pipsqueak1973 wrote: Radar Rat Race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OviOgGS4rU
Not terrible considering the technology, tough it gets a but stale as it loops, so nothing particularly pops out to me; but it gets the job done and works fine for the game.

The Commodore 64 had some games with RAD tunes tho. Peep these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EcgruWlXnQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWxlYYA8yrg

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature