00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bad times.

1,772 Views | 28 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Bad times. 2017-04-28 00:04:49

What are some of the worst times or frustrations you have had in video games. My progress in Resident evil was wiped somehow recently.

Response to Bad times. 2017-04-28 00:11:38

Dark Souls contains some of my most frustrating moments for sure. i rage quit the game for a full year, beat Dark Souls 2 then came back and beat 1. still a good experience though.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Bad times. 2017-04-28 03:40:26

Super (fucking) Meat Boy!

BBS Signature

Response to Bad times. 2017-04-28 07:24:48

I've had problems pausing my games a few times with disastrous consequences. The first time, when I was about 15 or 16, I was playing resident evil 2, doing a speed run. The phone rang so I hit the pause button and ran to answer the phone. I must have hit the button twice or something because when I got back I was back to the title screen.

Last week I was playing Metal Slug 3 ( AND KICKING ASS AT IT!) when the same thing happened. The phone was ringing so I went to answer it. I was on the phone for about 2 minutes but that was long enough to get game over.

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to Bad times. 2017-04-28 12:12:06

At 4/28/17 12:04 AM, WaffleCrisp wrote: What are some of the worst times or frustrations you have had in video games. My progress in Resident evil was wiped somehow recently.

Gran Turismo 4 - Corrupted data
Drakan: Order Of The Flame - That one puzzle that seemed broken as shit, so I have no choice to cheat.
Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2 - Unable to beat Chapter 6 (A boss rush)
Dark Cloud - Broke my good weapons over a damn dragon. Dragons are common enemies who can destroy your weapons easily.

Time to bust a move and get it started. Time's wastin'.

-Mace 2.0

Response to Bad times. 2017-04-28 17:20:06

Corrupt save files in every single player game

Response to Bad times. 2017-04-28 18:46:20

This was a doozy.

Response to Bad times. 2017-04-30 19:12:02

Any time I forget to save, finish a large part of the game, and then something happens to where my progress is lost. ;_;

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-01 04:38:30

My 6 year old nephew deleted a 90-hour game file ouch

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-01 14:49:06 (edited 2017-05-01 14:51:05)

At 4/28/17 12:04 AM, WaffleCrisp wrote: My progress in Resident evil was wiped somehow recently.

Which one? As annoying as it is to lose progress, most RE games are quite short and exponentially moreso on a replay, plus you'll do better overall and come out with more ammo on a second run. So it's not too bad, there's definitely worse games to lose data in.

At 4/28/17 12:11 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: Dark Souls contains some of my most frustrating moments for sure. i rage quit the game for a full year, beat Dark Souls 2 then came back and beat 1. still a good experience though.

Fume Knight, one of the bosses in Dark Souls II's second DLC, is by far the worst and most frustrating enemy I've ever fought. I didn't even find Dark Souls II hard overall after being used to the first game, but that boss is statistically the hardest in the game - there's something like a 7% success rate.

So every time you fight it you have a 93% chance of failure, and even by that metric I had a disproportionately hard time. It took like a week of regular playing and easily over a hundred deaths before I beat it, it was past the point where victory could give me any kind of satisfaction. Absolutely fuck that boss.

The silver lining I guess is that it proves I could probably soldier through virtually anything else, and I'm unlikely to ever face a worse boss. Although Bloodborne's chalice dungeons came uncomfortably close to capturing the same feeling a couple times, at least there they don't level through NG+ so you can grind your way out by just replaying the game.

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-01 18:55:38

I'm was the last land of Black&White. I've never completed this game even though I've played it ever since I was 8-10 (I always got bored or forgot about it but now I obsessed over it after completing the DLC of the sequel) and I've never made it that far but that progress is gone now that my hard drive got completely fucked. I don't have the energy to download the game again but it still hurt (along with all my save files from other videogames that don't save on Steam Cloud)

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-01 19:31:29

At 5/1/17 02:49 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 4/28/17 12:04 AM, WaffleCrisp wrote: My progress in Resident evil was wiped somehow recently.
Which one?

Opeeration Racoon City.

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-01 19:47:11

At 5/1/17 07:31 PM, WaffleCrisp wrote:
Which one?
Opeeration Racoon City.

Well that's a pretty bad time to begin with!

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-02 01:02:20

The worst one I had was when my Pokemon Yellow cartridge fell out of the Gameboy and my mom ran it over with her van. I had played it every day for months at that point. The game was busted. It would turn on and sort of function, but had no save, and some sprites didn't load. I lost all of the Pokemon my best friend had traded to me before he moved to a different state. I did keep the cartridge though, since it was kind of funny. Later on in life, I ended up giving the same friend the cartridge because he thought it was interesting how the game still kind of worked.

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-02 02:46:28

I spent countless hours as a young teen playing Dragon Warrior 3 trying to raise money through betting on monster fights, grinding experience to properly level up a sage and a soldier with magic, and figuring out where to go next (no internet for help back then) until I finally got to the World of Darkness. My brother, in a foul mood from, well, who the fuck cares, decided to stab a hole right through the cartridge just because it was within reach. That's how he helped cheer himself up... by breaking other people's stuff... because he was/is a fucking idiot. I eventually got another cartridge, but I couldn't do it again. I couldn't pour that much dedication into repeating a 100+ hour grindfest. I loved DW1 and 3 (never played 2), but, after that, I can't get myself motivated to play another game in the series. Closest to it was spending a considerable amount of time on Dragon Warrior Monsters, but raising monsters became tiresome.

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-02 10:03:39

At 4/28/17 12:04 AM, WaffleCrisp wrote: What are some of the worst times or frustrations you have had in video games. My progress in Resident evil was wiped somehow recently.

A Very very old game based on Deep Space Nine.. The second level (I think) was where you had to get rid of Bombs in the lower decks.. I never could do it.. Always got us destroyed.. Never got past that level. Frustrating.

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-02 15:53:54

Outlast

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-03 20:16:57

At 5/1/17 07:47 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 5/1/17 07:31 PM, WaffleCrisp wrote:
Which one?
Opeeration Racoon City.
Well that's a pretty bad time to begin with!

I like it. Lots of zombies coming from all over, you have allies, and it's fun to watch zombies eat other enemy soldiers.

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-03 20:38:40

Ages back I was stuck at Angel Village in Illusion of Gaia simply because I didn't know I had to Psycho Dash one of the walls to gain access to Ishtar's Studio.

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-03 22:32:56

Fucking monster hunter 1. As a child I managed to get to the desert and then it was way too difficult...

Sincerely.

(Not a native english speaker)

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-03 23:38:06

At 4/28/17 03:40 AM, lumiorfo wrote: Super (fucking) Meat Boy!

IM TRYING TO FORGET THAT GAME U JERK! LOL i got to the last level and could never beat it.

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-04 00:14:54

Anything in the Water Temple.

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-04 00:24:02 (edited 2017-05-04 00:24:20)

Spending like a month making an 11 minute movie in LittleBigPlanet and it didn't get more than 50 views over the three years it's been up.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-04 03:08:47

At 5/3/17 11:38 PM, Howlwitzer wrote:
At 4/28/17 03:40 AM, lumiorfo wrote: Super (fucking) Meat Boy!
IM TRYING TO FORGET THAT GAME U JERK! LOL i got to the last level and could never beat it.

I gave up after I lobbed my controller.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-05 02:13:02

At 5/1/17 02:49 PM, Jackho wrote: Fume Knight, one of the bosses in Dark Souls II's second DLC, is by far the worst and most frustrating enemy I've ever fought. I didn't even find Dark Souls II hard overall after being used to the first game, but that boss is statistically the hardest in the game - there's something like a 7% success rate.

i had plenty of trouble with Fume Knight, but not nearly that much. i played through the Iron King DLC pretty recently and got stuck on him for a day, but within 15 deaths i had beaten him. i don't summon for one-on-one humanoid fights like that because i like the feeling of a duel between equals, but that's always an option if you get stuck.

it seems like there's a lot of difference between the difficulties people have with certain bosses/areas. i was stuck on Rom for a week, i had to level up like six times to finally beat him. but Ludwig gave me no trouble at all, and he's regarded as one of the hardest bosses in the game. i also had very little trouble with The One Reborn, but i was also stuck on the first boss i fought, Cleric Beast, for a couple hours, whereas most players will beat him on their first or second try.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-05 16:03:52

At 5/5/17 02:13 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: i had plenty of trouble with Fume Knight, but not nearly that much. i played through the Iron King DLC pretty recently and got stuck on him for a day, but within 15 deaths i had beaten him.

Summons are basically a waste of time when they give the boss significant amount of extra health or extra defence. Unless you get lucky with a competent player they'll get killed and now you're stuck against an even harder version of the boss you were already stuck at.

I love co op in these games just for the sake of fun, but as a tool to help struggling players I've only ever found it useful on one or two bosses in the whole series, and on a boss as tough as Fume Knight you end up running out of humanity too. That boss basically made me lose interest in Dark Souls II even though I did beat him.

it seems like there's a lot of difference between the difficulties people have with certain bosses/areas.

This is definitely true, but even moreso with Bloodborne than with Dark Souls. I found Bloodborne to have a much more pleasant difficulty than the other games overall, not easy but not excessively frustrating (well unless you go into the chalice dungeons). It's a nice middle ground. DaSII by comparison I found too easy for most of the game and then had a couple instances of totally insane bullshit.

i was stuck on Rom for a week, i had to level up like six times to finally beat him. but Ludwig gave me no trouble at all, and he's regarded as one of the hardest bosses in the game. i also had very little trouble with The One Reborn, but i was also stuck on the first boss i fought, Cleric Beast, for a couple hours, whereas most players will beat him on their first or second try.

In Bloodborne I definitely died the most on Rom and will maintain that he's the most bullshit non-chalice boss in the game, just because his projectiles and spider minions are so hard to dodge/predict all the time, of all the bosses he feels the most reliant on luck.

I didn't have much trouble with Ludwig thanks to his second form but the NG+ cycle you're playing on seems to have a bigger effect on the DLC bosses than in the main game, and since he's the first DLC boss he tends to hit unsuspecting players like a brick.

I'm pretty sure I beat The One Reborn on my first or second try, but to be fair he's very similar to a boss from Demon's Souls so I already knew what to do. Cleric beast has never killed me either, but I did get stuck on Gascoigne, and later the Blood-starved Beast without realizing it was optional.

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-05 19:23:32

Finding my laptop lags just a little too much to conceivably beat that asteroid shooter mission in Dead Space 1 (which is already frustrating as hell on a proper PC).

Also, Super Meat Boy was a bad time for me, but I never liked those kind of games in general.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-06 02:16:12

At 5/5/17 04:03 PM, Jackho wrote: Summons are basically a waste of time when they give the boss significant amount of extra health or extra defence. Unless you get lucky with a competent player they'll get killed and now you're stuck against an even harder version of the boss you were already stuck at.

I love co op in these games just for the sake of fun, but as a tool to help struggling players I've only ever found it useful on one or two bosses in the whole series, and on a boss as tough as Fume Knight you end up running out of humanity too. That boss basically made me lose interest in Dark Souls II even though I did beat him.

i find NPC summons to be way more useful than players. you're right, a bad player has a chance to die immediately and screw you over, but every NPC i've summoned has taken off large chunks of health from bosses before beating them or dying. they also serve as distractions so you can get in tons of free hits.

This is definitely true, but even moreso with Bloodborne than with Dark Souls. I found Bloodborne to have a much more pleasant difficulty than the other games overall, not easy but not excessively frustrating (well unless you go into the chalice dungeons). It's a nice middle ground. DaSII by comparison I found too easy for most of the game and then had a couple instances of totally insane bullshit.

i had a different experience with Bloodborne. i actually haven't beat it yet, i had to take a long break after getting into the DLC because of how frustrated i got. i hate how anything that grazes you will stagger you, but you're expected to fight enemies that are faster than you, stronger and don't stagger. almost every enemy and lots of bosses do this unpredictable flailing that will stun lock you. i find it much more frustrating than the first two DS games. and unfortunately a lot of that mentality bled over into DS3, which i've barely gotten into. so many enemies that wildly flail towards you in packs and stun lock you, and poise seems to mean nothing anymore.

In Bloodborne I definitely died the most on Rom and will maintain that he's the most bullshit non-chalice boss in the game, just because his projectiles and spider minions are so hard to dodge/predict all the time, of all the bosses he feels the most reliant on luck.

yeah, his spiders do an absurd amount of damage with their headbutt attack. it one-shotted me anytime i was below 80% health. same with his magic attacks.

I'm pretty sure I beat The One Reborn on my first or second try, but to be fair he's very similar to a boss from Demon's Souls so I already knew what to do. Cleric beast has never killed me either, but I did get stuck on Gascoigne, and later the Blood-starved Beast without realizing it was optional.

yeah The One Reborn has the same gimmick as Tower Knight, even down to knocking his legs out to attack the head. i surprisingly had a very easy time with Blood-starved Beast, he was more predictable than i was expecting.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad times. 2017-05-09 11:56:19

I was replaying Chrono Cross and had just made it to the Miguel boss fight. I got him super low and forgot that he starts spamming that light element as a final fuck you. Anyway he killed me. Then my save data was corrupted when I went to load it. I guess they weren't kidding about losing that fight leading to failed futures.

Master of questionable life choices