00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheDoujinanimator just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS

21,685 Views | 290 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-14 10:25:09

At 3/13/17 05:29 PM, MidnightBlack63 wrote:
At 3/13/17 09:58 AM, EmeraldPhoenix wrote:
At 3/12/17 03:03 PM, MidnightBlack63 wrote:
At 3/7/17 06:21 PM, Caspertinne wrote: I'm so super nervous! I've never entered a contest before!

In all honestly, I'm not familiar with LOTR, but Harry Potter is something I absolutely -adore-! So I hope this sketch shows my attempt at Smaug the dragon, who still needs a lot of work lmao. I'm not sure if I should add Ron and Hermione or if I should just have Harry vs Smaug. Thanks for looking!
Maybe you could have harry looking out from under the invisibility cloak that would be epic :-) good start.
I love that idea! I was looking for something to add behind gandalf and that would be perfect! If I can do it time-wise I definitely put it in. thanks!
Your welcome :-) my mum also suggested that you don't even have to draw Harry or one of the characters from LOTR u could just put an arrow to say that's where they are wearing the invisibility cloak or the one ring, this would be cool if u wanted to add more humour to the piece :-) I can't wait to see if final piece...

Hmm, the arrow thing doesn't really fit my style. But I already made a sketch with harry peeking underneath the invisbility cloak and the rest of his body fading away. Not sure if I can do all this in time, but it fits perfectly and I really hope I can pull it off. I'll post again in a few days so you can see your suggestion (hopefully). I first got to try and get the greyscale right.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-14 11:10:32

meawhile in a land where drawing tablet does not exist

Wow, alot of great work in both categories. This my first time entering a art contest, youtube contest and joining an art related forum-website.

Spent few hours thinking about my entry, planning it out and getting desk & light setup never dabbled with digital art media just freehand visual art.

Eventually, I'm going transfer my entry drawing to canvas & hang it on my wall.

Winning the tablet would really help me out a lot also other entrants.

Hope, you all like it. I'm just about done with my first stage rough draft sketch, before second-final stages ink-color added.

What is WIP ?

My first digital sketch is my thumbnail it's a self portrait character sketch using paint.net What do you guys think.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-14 14:15:00

At 3/14/17 01:41 AM, KC-Art wrote: Looking to enter this contest, but I fear it might violate rules. Does anyone know if this, based on two photos, is considered 'stolen material'? Thanks

I've done the same technique to this. Using Harry himself, Pippin/Frodo and Sam.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-14 14:26:46

At 3/14/17 02:15 PM, PointlessAlibi wrote:
At 3/14/17 01:41 AM, KC-Art wrote: Looking to enter this contest, but I fear it might violate rules. Does anyone know if this, based on two photos, is considered 'stolen material'? Thanks
I've done the same technique to this. Using Harry himself, Pippin/Frodo and Sam.

Have you entered in other contests on newgrounds did you get disquailified?

Great drawings by you both.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-14 15:10:46

I think its coming along :D, any ideas?

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-14 16:11:11

Hello, this is my first sketch of the drawing. In the background you can see the Hogwarts castle with the eye, around the tower there are flying some dementors and in front of the moon you see the flying car of Ron Weasley. In front you see right: some 'good' characters of Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, on the left some 'bad' characters of the movies.

So... I hope you like the Idea of it :) (And I hope you can see it a little bit)

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-14 16:22:06

First sketch

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-14 16:42:21

At 3/14/17 03:10 PM, CatiaRibeiro wrote: I think its coming along :D, any ideas?

really work in those dark darks, almost black but make sure you have a light source that iluminates them well enough to have a great contrast, so try to get some near blacks and near whites and you will be golden, love the layout

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-14 17:42:29

At 3/14/17 02:26 PM, DaleWeber wrote:

This would be my first (both for newgrounds and Jazza). I don't wanna waste my one entry if it'll be thrown out.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-14 18:09:53

At 3/14/17 05:42 PM, KC-Art wrote:

This would be my first (both for newgrounds and Jazza). I don't wanna waste my one entry if it'll be thrown out.

There is nothing wrong with useing reference as long as you give it your own twist, however making an exact copy is not your own original creation. I am not sure in what depth this rule goes, but be wary it may be disqualified.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-14 22:09:41

Do I have to respond to this thread to post my during of process or just link it in the completed progress upload before the 26th?

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-14 23:37:56

At 3/14/17 10:09 PM, ThreadstoTwelve wrote: Do I have to respond to this thread to post my during of process or just link it in the completed progress upload before the 26th?

Either probably, but I would do both just so its easier for jazza to find.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-15 00:14:57

I finally finished outlining for the most part. Going to start shading tomorrow. Anyone have any advice or opinions on this? Not sure if there is to much. the campfire I don't know if I should keep, or at least keep in that exact spot.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-15 08:38:38

This is my first time entering. I don't know the rulings of getting references and as I have high expectations in my work, I'm not sure whether it will be finished in time :/

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-15 12:34:09

At 3/14/17 10:09 PM, ThreadstoTwelve wrote: Do I have to respond to this thread to post my during of process or just link it in the completed progress upload before the 26th?

You don't need to respond to this tread as a WIP. The only thing you need to do is add a link to a picture of your mid-proces in your final illustration. This can be any medium.

The tread is just to get inspired or inspire others and get fresh idea's or ask for help and opinions, but can also serve as to show your mid-development.

I am sad you don't trust me this is my mid progresse prove.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-15 14:51:01

At 3/15/17 08:38 AM, PointlessAlibi wrote: This is my first time entering. I don't know the rulings of getting references and as I have high expectations in my work, I'm not sure whether it will be finished in time :/

You have until March 26th but I would finish and upload my entry few days before to be safe. Due to Time zone in the States is different than UK. If Jazza uses UK time zone.

Nearly finished now just need to go add a few more shadows in around the egg so that it doesnt look quite so white washed when i take the photo and then i'll be happy.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-16 05:59:07

Hey, this is my first time entering the COTM contest but I felt really inspired by the theme so why not give it a shot!

This is my pencil sketch on A3 watercolor paper, maybe I'll uploas another sketch after coloring.
For title I'm hesitating betzeen "The heist" and "Back from the Heist"

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-16 06:26:51

At 3/15/17 06:08 PM, J-R-Cousins wrote: Nearly finished now just need to go add a few more shadows in around the egg so that it doesnt look quite so white washed when i take the photo and then i'll be happy.

Wow, this is really impressive, well done on the contrasts!

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-16 12:26:57

this is my wip so far, its very empty at the moment lol, but i was just structuring the piece before i added the final details

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-16 14:06:53

One more question, I have finished my piece and digitally added a little frame around it. Is it okay that I used a google image of a wood texture to create the frame?

Limit braker.
decided and ordered wacom intuos pro M, So even if i win the first place (highly doubt it) i will give away my winning spot to someone else. if my order gets accepted, since i don't really have enough money to buy one (ty minimal F*** wage) so the only options are 2. Save for next month with a very tight budget like really tight, not a single penny/cent would be spend, or with a subscription and pay it off right away after i get my payday.
4 years of mouse drawing coming to an end... maybe

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-16 14:49:38

At 3/16/17 06:26 AM, SkyCHA wrote:
At 3/15/17 06:08 PM, J-R-Cousins wrote: Nearly finished now just need to go add a few more shadows in around the egg so that it doesnt look quite so white washed when i take the photo and then i'll be happy.
Wow, this is really impressive, well done on the contrasts!

Thanks mate put alot of time into it so its nice to hear some positive feed back :)

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-16 18:15:08

Hey, Jazza everyone here's my open category.

This is a Traditional media drawing combined clash of both Lord & Hogwarts based on a classic painting with some parody humor.

Hope you all like it, This has taking me hours to do well worth it enjoyment-creative process.

This is the start of adding Ink to the base area, just have add three more characters and finishing detailing the rest. :D

I'm pulling an all nighter tonight....

Please, be nice and No seallies now

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-17 04:04:37

Alright I think I am done with my piece to submit to the contest #COTMLOTH. I spent the past 4 days finishing it up with color. I am pretty happy with the outcome! This is my second time entering one of Jazza's montly challenges. It was a lot of fun. Hope you guys like it :)

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-17 06:06:05

I was not sure what to draw and took a piece of paper and sketched a few ideas together and took 2 of my favorite pieces together, were a giant monster was at the background and were a character was in the middle in preparation for the coming attack. The monster is from Middle earth Shadow of Mordor, so after the sketch was done, i took a picture of it and decided to draw it in illustrator this time instead of photoshop, because i wanted to see how the line art would look. Once i was finished with that i saved it and opened it in Photosop and started shading. I dont have much experience with harry potter or lord of the rings but i'm having alot of fun with this COTM

Does it count as an original artwork if you look at multiple reference pictures and take things from each one and mash them together. Cause I am gonna include Smaug and I am 11 and started drawing like 1 or 2 months ago so I don't really know how to draw original dragons. Also do these look like good beginner art supplies?

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-17 09:11:53

Jazza please go to page 6 and scroll all the way down, I really wanna join a COTM for the first time and I don't wanna be disqualified.