00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS

21,642 Views | 290 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-17 13:08:05

First time participating, here is a picture of my progress so far. I would also like to know whether it is okay to use references for things like character poses or perspective. (?)

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-17 15:07:00

Hi, so i finally started drawing for this cotm today this is treebeard being surrounded by some patronus animals, any opinions? it's been a while since i made something traditional :p

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-17 17:09:59

At 3/17/17 09:04 AM, Jazzafanforlife wrote: Does it count as an original artwork if you look at multiple reference pictures and take things from each one and mash them together. Cause I am gonna include Smaug and I am 11 and started drawing like 1 or 2 months ago so I don't really know how to draw original dragons. Also do these look like good beginner art supplies?

Somebody answered that type of question. It would page 5.

I think as all it's original "Your own concept" you should be fine.

Cool, sketch kit. I have one like it but my case is clear plastic cover and bottom. The graphite pencils are great, I'm using the HB graphite is a medium to soft, #3 graphite is the sofest lead type but I like HB most.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-17 17:42:29

First cotm I've participated in

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-17 20:32:59

Ty, hehe I am new to this so... Idk what counts as cheating and what doesn't. I am really excited to join my first COTM.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-18 07:41:29

: - You MUST include a link in the description of your final submission leading to a 'mid-development' source (image or video) showing the entry is your original creation

this is a WIP of my entry; smaug and norberta having a face-off.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-18 09:28:58

At 3/17/17 01:08 PM, tatianavictors wrote: First time participating, here is a picture of my progress so far. I would also like to know whether it is okay to use references for things like character poses or perspective. (?)

There is nothing wrong with using reference to figure things out in your drawing. Just don't make an exact copy of things. Ask friends/family to pose for you, saves allot of time instead of searching the internet.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-18 13:56:19

At 3/18/17 09:28 AM, EmeraldPhoenix wrote:
At 3/17/17 01:08 PM, tatianavictors wrote: First time participating, here is a picture of my progress so far. I would also like to know whether it is okay to use references for things like character poses or perspective. (?)
There is nothing wrong with using reference to figure things out in your drawing. Just don't make an exact copy of things. Ask friends/family to pose for you, saves allot of time instead of searching the internet.

Funny, you mentioned. I do see a similarity of characters of both Lord of the rings and Hogwarts. Example, if seen my step father you think the direct used him as the Gollum character, tall skinny and bald thin hair same location. But, don't tell him I said that.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-18 14:01:07

At 3/18/17 07:41 AM, artyfartydoodles wrote:
- You MUST include a link in the description of your final submission leading to a 'mid-development' source (image or video) showing the entry is your original creation

Does WIP mean ?

Can the link "Mid-Development " be in this Forum Thread. I posted a picture of my progress which kinda Mid-development. My picture is atop.

This is my first contest I'm new to newgrounds but I'm familar with forums in general I'm in a few automotive forums.

Cool, dragon

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-18 17:34:28

Wow, some incredible entries so far, I love seeing all the great pieces coming in. My (comparatively underwhelming) piece is getting there. Completely went off the rails when inking and got a result quite different to what I was expecting but am fairly happy with it for now, may re-ink at a later date. I suppose I should edit some curves and add some colour now?

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-18 17:53:52

At 3/13/17 11:13 AM, Suzanne-Duncan wrote: Cotmloth finished piece.. still trying to figure out how to link the work in progress photos lol

Here's a wip photo

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-18 18:10:07

At 3/18/17 02:01 PM, DaleWeber wrote:
At 3/18/17 07:41 AM, artyfartydoodles wrote:
- You MUST include a link in the description of your final submission leading to a 'mid-development' source (image or video) showing the entry is your original creation
Does WIP mean ?

Can the link "Mid-Development " be in this Forum Thread. I posted a picture of my progress which kinda Mid-development. My picture is atop.

This is my first contest I'm new to newgrounds but I'm familar with forums in general I'm in a few automotive forums.

Cool, dragon

-WIP means Work In Progress.
-This forum can be your mid-development proof as long as you post a link to the right picture in your final illustration.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-18 18:13:22

This project is going to take allot of time, but with the right back-ground noise I am having allot of fun. I enjoy the direction this is going and really hope to finish in time.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-18 18:19:49

At 3/18/17 05:34 PM, B-astion wrote: Wow, some incredible entries so far, I love seeing all the great pieces coming in. My (comparatively underwhelming) piece is getting there. Completely went off the rails when inking and got a result quite different to what I was expecting but am fairly happy with it for now, may re-ink at a later date. I suppose I should edit some curves and add some colour now?

Love the style, very different from most so it stands out. I understand it's the cave with the horcrux. and smeagol looking awkwardly at the viewer (love it). But maybe it would be more fun to see the siloutes of harry and dumbledore on the island or in the boot. Or maybe even fighting the hordes of undead. Think that would give a nice contrast.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-18 20:51:53

At 3/18/17 06:13 PM, EmeraldPhoenix wrote: This project is going to take allot of time, but with the right back-ground noise I am having allot of fun. I enjoy the direction this is going and really hope to finish in time.

Wow, we must think alike. There's a abit similairity between yours & mine due we both use table beer drinking but mines more different.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-19 02:21:47

My mashup between Ancalagon and Phoenix; Ancalagon the Black Phoenix.

WIP

Finished Product

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-19 08:56:04

At 3/18/17 06:13 PM, EmeraldPhoenix wrote: This project is going to take allot of time, but with the right back-ground noise I am having allot of fun. I enjoy the direction this is going and really hope to finish in time.

I really like this piece. It's looks like a great party I would love to attend. :)

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-19 12:52:14

At 3/19/17 08:56 AM, MartinPSteele wrote:
I really like this piece. It's looks like a great party I would love to attend. :)

It means allot that it has that effect, I am glad to see more people like where this is going. =D

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-19 12:57:07

Looks very promising. Love the amount of details going on here including how each of the characters are interacting very differently in this scenario.

Thanks! glad to see others think it has potential.

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-19 13:45:10

Does anyone know if your entry can still be found by Jazza if you haven't been scouted yet?

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-19 14:09:39

At 3/19/17 01:45 PM, J-R-Cousins wrote: Does anyone know if your entry can still be found by Jazza if you haven't been scouted yet?

Yes, by type the correct Tags you should be fine Jazza will still find it.

Watch this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlS0-2kV9w4

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-19 14:12:08

At 3/19/17 02:09 PM, DaleWeber wrote:
At 3/19/17 01:45 PM, J-R-Cousins wrote: Does anyone know if your entry can still be found by Jazza if you haven't been scouted yet?
Yes, by type the correct Tags you should be fine Jazza will still find it.

Watch this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlS0-2

Ah ok sweet. Thanks for answering :)

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-19 15:40:45

Hey. So...this is what I've been working on. It looks pretty bad right now but the idea is kind of contrasting elves in HP and LotR with Legolas and Dobby. I need advice though. Does it make sense? Also what kind of background would fit? Any criticisms would be appreciated :)

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-19 15:53:20

At 3/14/17 10:25 AM, EmeraldPhoenix wrote:
At 3/13/17 05:29 PM, MidnightBlack63 wrote:
At 3/13/17 09:58 AM, EmeraldPhoenix wrote:
At 3/12/17 03:03 PM, MidnightBlack63 wrote:
At 3/7/17 06:21 PM, Caspertinne wrote: I'm so super nervous! I've never entered a contest before!
Hmm, the arrow thing doesn't really fit my style. But I already made a sketch with harry peeking underneath the invisbility cloak and the rest of his body fading away. Not sure if I can do all this in time, but it fits perfectly and I really hope I can pull it off. I'll post again in a few days so you can see your suggestion (hopefully). I first got to try and get the greyscale right.

Cool! Thank you for using the idea, i am happy to be a part of a fellow artist's work and fellow fan of Jazza's COTM, i am nowhere near finishing mine... I usually end up rushing it because procrastinate before anything... Like i am doing now :'-)

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-19 16:37:12

At 3/19/17 03:53 PM, MidnightBlack63 wrote:
At 3/14/17 10:25 AM, EmeraldPhoenix wrote:
At 3/13/17 05:29 PM, MidnightBlack63 wrote:
At 3/13/17 09:58 AM, EmeraldPhoenix wrote:
At 3/12/17 03:03 PM, MidnightBlack63 wrote:
At 3/7/17 06:21 PM, Caspertinne wrote: I'm so super nervous! I've never entered a contest before!
Hmm, the arrow thing doesn't really fit my style. But I already made a sketch with harry peeking underneath the invisbility cloak and the rest of his body fading away. Not sure if I can do all this in time, but it fits perfectly and I really hope I can pull it off. I'll post again in a few days so you can see your suggestion (hopefully). I first got to try and get the greyscale right.
Cool! Thank you for using the idea, i am happy to be a part of a fellow artist's work and fellow fan of Jazza's COTM, i am nowhere near finishing mine... I usually end up rushing it because procrastinate before anything... Like i am doing now :'-)

Aye, procastinating is real.

I think I finally found a way that works for me to push trough. Note the day before what you need/want to do the next day. Then label them with A-B-C-D.

A = you die if you don't do it. D = Not important at all.
Start with all the A's no matter how long it takes. (But be realistic ofc.)
Listening to video's from Art Cafe on youtube also get me in the right zone to draw for hours.

Good luck with your Illustration, looking forward to the end result!

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-20 03:50:47

My work in progress.

FILTHY ELVES'S!
The idea is that Dobby is collecting clothes and trinkets to celebrate his new found freedom, when by chance he stumbles upon this ring which calls to him. Meanwhile Gollum is looking murderous.

Bought and unboxed Wacom Intuos pro M, time to triple my drawing skills, now if everything continues to go well, my latest drawings will be a hybrids between done whit tools mouse and tablet.
I officialy confirm that even if i finish this COTM and win the first place i will be giving away my winning spot to someone else.

A heavy investment to leap into the future

First chain has been broken, 3 left:
1. Equipment upgrade: new better faster stronger PC and monitor,
2. Better job, A youtube career, or a professional artist, or even my own company, and the grand dream to make first Triple A game in my country in history
3. Finding love, never was lucky enough, so this gap left a deep pshychological problem, for my heart to be corrupted, never experienced it before even to this day, so i am 101% pure you get the picture
"i've got and iron skin and corrupted heart" this line meaning might be revealed in time only 2 last words were revealed.

and now the important and final stage to see if the tablet works and if my PC won't choke on it

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-20 12:22:24

Hi all,

I've submitted my picture and added the tag but can't see it when i search the tag. Is that normal? this is my first time entering and using newgrounds. I used the tag b-cotmloth.

Thanks

Lisa

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-20 12:50:45

At 3/18/17 06:19 PM, EmeraldPhoenix wrote:
At 3/18/17 05:34 PM, B-astion wrote: Wow, some incredible entries so far, I love seeing all the great pieces coming in. My (comparatively underwhelming) piece is getting there. Completely went off the rails when inking and got a result quite different to what I was expecting but am fairly happy with it for now, may re-ink at a later date. I suppose I should edit some curves and add some colour now?
Love the style, very different from most so it stands out. I understand it's the cave with the horcrux. and smeagol looking awkwardly at the viewer (love it). But maybe it would be more fun to see the siloutes of harry and dumbledore on the island or in the boot. Or maybe even fighting the hordes of undead. Think that would give a nice contrast.

Thank you very much. That means a lot, especially coming from someone with your skills!
Thats a great idea, adds a little more drama to the image. I'll see what I can do :)

Response to March COTM: LORD of the HOGWARTS 2017-03-20 14:18:38

well had problem to setup the new tablet drivers but after a short research it was fixed...
Drawing whit a tablet feels oddly weird. sketching is easier kinda, blending still need some work the brushes works very differently then i used whit a mouse