00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Critique 4 Critique

336 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Critique 4 Critique 2017-02-27 18:03:33

Newgrounds is the only media platform I upload my art on that has such an in-depth and interactive system for ratings and reviews. Rather than just comments and likes, it allows for a deeper critique which is something I truly appreciate. My one problem? Actually getting any.

I struggle to get any ratings and reviews on my art and I know I'm not alone. Ratings and reviews are valuable for understanding what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong. I, personally, love to review others stuff and try my best to offer constructive criticism where I can. So here's my proposition.

I'll review any piece of art you've submitted of your choosing, as long as you do the same for me. This is not to gain exposure, but merely for improvement. Any takers?

ratchili.com i make stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Critique 4 Critique 2017-02-27 18:46:54

Hmmm, no idea, are you scouted?

Sure, I'll review your stuff, but let's be clear, I'm an honest dude.
I've seen about 5 people already posting about how they want freaking criticism, just like you, but in the end, they just get pissed off whenever they're not praised. Hillarious, since that's what newgrounds is about.

So I ask you, do you want criticism, have some laughs and take it lightly, or do you want fake boring praise?

Response to Critique 4 Critique 2017-02-27 19:23:55

At 2/27/17 06:46 PM, kehny wrote: Hmmm, no idea, are you scouted?

I've seen about 5 people already posting about how they want freaking criticism, just like you, but in the end, they just get pissed off whenever they're not praised. Hillarious, since that's what newgrounds is about.

So I ask you, do you want criticism, have some laughs and take it lightly, or do you want fake boring praise?

^^this. It's a terrible feeling to give critique to others only to be ignored or even to be lashed out at.
Just to be fair, you're no way in the wrong or anything, though this has been happening a lot on the forums as of late.

Also your sig is amazing.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Critique 4 Critique 2017-02-27 19:55:36

At 2/27/17 07:23 PM, Oddlem wrote:
At 2/27/17 06:46 PM, kehny wrote: Hmmm, no idea, are you scouted?

^^this. It's a terrible feeling to give critique to others only to be ignored or even to be lashed out at.
Just to be fair, you're no way in the wrong or anything, though this has been happening a lot on the forums as of late.

I am scouted, but my artwork still remains highly untouched. I'm not saying that it deserves recognition by any means, but I am trying to learn how to improve and one or two ratings at best doesn't really do me any service.

Listen fellas, I'm about to go to college for this stuff, if I can't handle a little criticism then I might as well throw away my future career lmao. Trust me, I know my stuff's not perfect. I just want to know if I'm getting there, y'know? And where to push myself to better succeed. So trust me, I'm not gonna be that guy. I mean, only if you all won't be that guy either because I'm pretty honest about criticisms myself haha.

Also your sig is amazing.

Thanks fam I made it myself :^)

BBS Signature

Response to Critique 4 Critique 2017-02-28 00:33:33 (edited 2017-02-28 00:43:06)

Then it's settled, you don't really have the obligation to critique my stuff unless you really want to, I'm just helping out.

You're taking a lot of inspiration from OneyG, are you?

I've already critiqued two of your works, the one with the blue devil, I think the comment about shoulders and the shading applies to a lot of your pictures, so it'd be a waste of time to point that out on the rest, plus is not much of a mistake, it's maybe a bad interpretation of mine, if you wanna discuss it here, I'm all ears.

Response to Critique 4 Critique 2017-02-28 17:06:21

At 2/28/17 12:33 AM, kehny wrote: Then it's settled, you don't really have the obligation to critique my stuff unless you really want to, I'm just helping out.

You're taking a lot of inspiration from OneyG, are you?

I've already critiqued two of your works, the one with the blue devil, I think the comment about shoulders and the shading applies to a lot of your pictures, so it'd be a waste of time to point that out on the rest, plus is not much of a mistake, it's maybe a bad interpretation of mine, if you wanna discuss it here, I'm all ears.

You're critiques were pretty good, I appreciate it man. I'll definitely work on anatomy and such, it's a bit of an issue with me I know. I did make my devils pretty cylindrical when I shaded but that's because I kiiinda made his body that way because I need to get better at the whole drawing-bodies-thing. Also yeah, I do take some inspiration from OneyNG haha, but what's funny is that it's a total coincidence that him and I both like to paint our stuff rather than line shading. Once I discovered he did the same thing, it was pretty encouraging.

It's only fair I give you some feedback as well. It's a little hard for me to critique your art in complete honesty because it is so different from what I'm used to. Your anatomy and posing for your characters is great, even when it comes to muscles. As for what you need to improve on, I'd say your colors and your composition skills are really holding you back. You have the ability to draw very well, but you need to get better at putting these well-drawn people in a pose and setting that is more pleasing to the eye and perhaps stands out more as an individual piece as opposed to a mess of characters posing in a way that makes it feel more like a sketchbook (especially on your latest piece.) Perhaps give them a background or environment in which to interact with. Improving your colors is another way to get your art to stand out more. There's nothing wrong with a darker palette or something less saturated, but it has to be coherent. You need more consistency with your colors, which I can understand is problematic when dealing with multiple characters. Try using more colors that compliment each other and placing them in a way that feels balanced and less all over the place. I'd also recommend working on the color in your highlights and shadows of the characters. In your disco encounter piece, there seems to be three sources of light that all have different color and yet both characters don't appear to be touched by that light at all. Using colors in your highlights and shadows based on the environment you put them in will really give life to the characters.

I hope that helped. Thanks again!

BBS Signature

Response to Critique 4 Critique 2017-02-28 18:00:18

Hey that's absolutely fair and noted. The lastest one was old and was a mess of poses with no context. The disco one looks like a damn bad green screen. So lighting and composition it is then! I'm sure I can fix that.

Thanks! That was useful!