00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Heln966 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Geometry Dash removed from Steam?

10,835 Views | 97 Replies

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 17:25:55

At 1/30/17 05:23 PM, Tebiri wrote:
At 1/30/17 05:22 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote:
At 1/30/17 05:20 PM, KartanaGD wrote:
At 1/30/17 05:07 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote: FUCK YES!!!!
THE PETITION WORKED!!!

Celebration time come on!
no
it was fucking up ng musicians
and now we gotta be more strict on copyrighted music

I think that what people do for a living matters a lot more than a game that I see Dashie screaming at on youtube
I'm pretty sure RobTop makes the game for a living, though.
Doesn't that matter?

Yes, he does. I also think Boomlings and Memory Mastermind might have in-app purchases too, which is another layer.

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 17:27:46

At 1/30/17 05:25 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote:
At 1/30/17 05:23 PM, Tebiri wrote: I'm pretty sure RobTop makes the game for a living, though.
Doesn't that matter?
He's one person
How many people are on Newgrounds?

A lot of people are on newgrounds.

However, I don't think Newgrounds is the best place to make music for a living since I'm pretty sure you can't even make money off the site if you're a content creator, unless you have a donation page, Patreon, etc. Youtube is more of a place to make a living off making music.

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 17:34:25

At 1/30/17 05:27 PM, Tebiri wrote: However, I don't think Newgrounds is the best place to make music for a living since I'm pretty sure you can't even make money off the site if you're a content creator, unless you have a donation page, Patreon, etc. Youtube is more of a place to make a living off making music.

For some, it's not about how much money they're making, if they're even making any. Newgrounds does in fact have a system where creators can earn ad revenue.

Many great musicians have started, and continue to thrive through the community. Some have even gone on to do very great things with their talent. So saying Newgrounds isn't the best place for creators to make some form of living is ignorant at best.

BBS Signature

There are still much better places to make a living off music.

also fuck im bad at newgrounds formatting

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 17:46:55

Aight so I'll be clear, I'm not a musician so I'm not quite supposed to write anything, but I'm part of GD community and even of NG's. Personally, I find it pretty frustrating that people here generalize saying the whole community is shit. I've met many people who haven't been abusing NG for their own levels, and saying we all are cunts is undeserved. Sure it's a dick move to upload copyright-claimed music, but RobTop worked 4 years long on this game. It's just not his fault if the community doesn't have common sense. He is not in our brains. He makes money out of this game. Shutting it down would be the ruin for him. I'd rather think about having a more secure scout system. Not trying to flame, but it's being pretty bad, since people seem to exploit its faults.

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 17:56:42

At 1/30/17 05:46 PM, GMDDreamEater wrote: Aight so I'll be clear, I'm not a musician so I'm not quite supposed to write anything, but I'm part of GD community and even of NG's. Personally, I find it pretty frustrating that people here generalize saying the whole community is shit. I've met many people who haven't been abusing NG for their own levels, and saying we all are cunts is undeserved. Sure it's a dick move to upload copyright-claimed music, but RobTop worked 4 years long on this game. It's just not his fault if the community doesn't have common sense. He is not in our brains. He makes money out of this game. Shutting it down would be the ruin for him. I'd rather think about having a more secure scout system. Not trying to flame, but it's being pretty bad, since people seem to exploit its faults.

I'll be real with you, even I know that people like you aren't the problem. This has nothing to do with you. It's to everyone who thinks they can just take what they want and not give proper credit. Everyone here that makes content worth a damn, they deserve recognition. Our musicians are no different.

BBS Signature

At 1/30/17 05:56 PM, Doctor933brains wrote:
I'll be real with you, even I know that people like you aren't the problem. This has nothing to do with you. It's to everyone who thinks they can just take what they want and not give proper credit. Everyone here that makes content worth a damn, they deserve recognition. Our musicians are no different.

Well, even if you give credit when uploading a song that isn't yours it still isn't yours. The problem is people uploading songs they didn't make and impersonating the musicians.

also i'm still bad at newgrounds formatting but i'm trying my best

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:04:29

So I've never played this game, only heard of all the problems it's caused Newgrounds and the artists on here.
The games been out since 2013 and the creator has not fixed the problem? And I'm supposed to have sympathy for his game being taken down? No.

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:06:34

At 1/30/17 06:04 PM, thenoodge wrote: So I've never played this game, only heard of all the problems it's caused Newgrounds and the artists on here.
The games been out since 2013 and the creator has not fixed the problem? And I'm supposed to have sympathy for his game being taken down? No.

Actually, the ability to use NG songs was only added in late 2014. Also it's #4 on the top paid games chart for the Apple app store right now

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:07:29

At 1/30/17 06:00 PM, Tebiri wrote:
At 1/30/17 05:56 PM, Doctor933brains wrote:
Well, even if you give credit when uploading a song that isn't yours it still isn't yours. The problem is people uploading songs they didn't make and impersonating the musicians.

also i'm still bad at newgrounds formatting but i'm trying my best

I know that, the Administrators and Moderators work very very hard to keep that content out. It's part of the reason why GD is removed. We get a shit load of users every single day uploading songs from big time players like Skrillex, which is a big fat fucking no. All for the purpose of uploading to GD.

Needless to say, we can't let that shit fly. Also don't worry about proper formating. Long as I can read your stuff, you're fine.

BBS Signature

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:08:49

At 1/30/17 06:01 PM, Lady-Stardust wrote: TO ANY ASSHOLE WHO DOES THIS TO NG AND GD I GOT AN AMAZING ALTERNATIVE FOR YOU!

1.Open iTunes or any music player you like.
2.Open and mute the game.
3.Enjoy as you hear your shit over the damn game.

IS THAT SO HARD.

You clearly do not get how the game works. People make levels that are designed to be played to those songs when they upload the music here. If the song is not ingame, the level will not be synced up properly to anyone else playing the level. It doesn't justify anything they're doing, but it's the reason.

Also it's pretty damn hard to correctly sync up songs when just using itunes

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:21:02

At 1/30/17 06:10 PM, Lady-Stardust wrote: Or you can still play the game but it's muted.

That would be harder than playing the game with a music track not ingame.

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:24:00

You guys are only focusing on the cons that Geometry Dash did to NG. But did you guys forget that:

- It made talent recognized. Artists like Mafia Pineapple, Dex Arson, Waterflame and even Xtrullor got their attention in their music after it was used in Geometry Dash;
- There are also the good people on the community, which praises their music (But Newgrounds only see the hate).

You can say everything about the GD community, it is cancer, corrupted and everything, heck I even talked about that months ago, but they are being worse than us by taking such a dumb move. Why not, I don't know, newgrounds developers "stop" the connection with GD and NG if that was the case? Can't they do that? Why not develop a harsh scout system? RobTop was working on a solution for it, but yeah, you guys just wanted to remove it.
And also you can't blame the whole community for what hundreds did. Not everyone is an asshole like the "music thiefs". One last thing, just because you removed it from Steam, doesn't mean that is a big accomplishment. The servers are still live, if you download it, you can pretty much play normally with the NG songs. and there is also Play Store and App Store, they are still intact. Even if you manage to remove from all platforms, APKs still exists... And can I also remind about the private GD servers?

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:26:09

You can spot the users in this thread who are 100% Geometry Dash players 0% NG community, and are only posting to vent.

BBS Signature

Shame it got removed (I found my inspiration in music through it), but I can see why. Using other people's songs in custom levels without permission and allowing them to be monetized via games such as GD World isn't cool.

I stopped playing a while back (didn't want to be associated with the crowd that steals music and reuploads it to NG) so I hardly care, but oh well. It's kind of funny how much the community is overreacting, blaming Newgrounds and calling them names like "Stupidgrounds," when it's probably the community's fault for uploading stolen audio.

Will admit, though, that the game was a pretty fun time-waster.

OK, I've got an idea: What if GD gets its own site? It would clear the drama, thought the ASSHOLIC BITCHES on NG will still likely be stupid

EDIT: Looking back, this will definitely go wrong /:

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:36:53

I'm fairly sure Newgrounds didn't even have a say in the game getting removed from Steam and other platforms.

"I did not create nor sign the petition. We can disable GD access to all NG music if we need to - we don't have to remove GD."

"To clarify: Newgrounds itself did not have Geometry Dash removed from Steam, so please do not try to blame / punish the website over this."

The official Newgrounds twitter said these and are currently trying to resolve the problem. Chances are the game will be back up in a few days, or maybe even today.

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:38:33

At 1/30/17 06:31 PM, KartanaGD wrote: OK, I've got an idea: What if GD gets its own site? It would clear the drama, thought the ASSHOLIC BITCHES on NG will still likely be stupid

Insulting the NG community is not the brightest of ideas. Especially if you're trying to get a point across, there are better ways to do it.

BBS Signature

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:40:08

At 1/30/17 06:36 PM, Tebiri wrote: I'm fairly sure Newgrounds didn't even have a say in the game getting removed from Steam and other platforms.

"I did not create nor sign the petition. We can disable GD access to all NG music if we need to - we don't have to remove GD."

"To clarify: Newgrounds itself did not have Geometry Dash removed from Steam, so please do not try to blame / punish the website over this."

The official Newgrounds twitter said these and are currently trying to resolve the problem. Chances are the game will be back up in a few days, or maybe even today.

Huh, interesting. The second most popular theory is it was some of the icons that resembled copyrighted characters like Iron Man or Kirby that caused the takedown. That's probably it then.

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:40:31

At 1/30/17 06:30 PM, Evilgrapez wrote: blaming Newgrounds and calling them names like "Stupidgrounds,"

This made me laugh. The complete lack of wit is hilarious.

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:40:35

At 1/30/17 03:54 PM, Omega wrote: Let's be honest here,

GD is pretty cancerous, so is the GD community, So its not surprising.

Sincerely, although the community is pretty bad, i don't see a reason to call the game cancerous. If touching the screen to make a cuby jump, while listening to good music, is cancerous, I don't think you are mature enough to state the second statement then.

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:41:56

At 1/30/17 06:38 PM, Doctor933brains wrote:
At 1/30/17 06:31 PM, KartanaGD wrote: OK, I've got an idea: What if GD gets its own site? It would clear the drama, thought the ASSHOLIC BITCHES on NG will still likely be stupid
Insulting the NG community is not the brightest of ideas. Especially if you're trying to get a point across, there are better ways to do it.

I meant the shitheads who upload copyrighted songs. They are what started this whole drama in the first place. Fuck them.

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:42:51

At 1/30/17 06:40 PM, Evilgrapez wrote: Huh, interesting. The second most popular theory is it was some of the icons that resembled copyrighted characters like Iron Man or Kirby that caused the takedown. That's probably it then.

It's either that or the mass flagging of the game that happened because of some Newgrounds users. I don't want either one to be true; the references are fun and nice and Newgrounds shouldn't have a bad reputation because of a few users. Maybe RobTop had one too many drinks and accidentally removed the game or something. But that's not likely.

At 1/30/17 06:40 PM, thenoodge wrote:
At 1/30/17 06:30 PM, Evilgrapez wrote: blaming Newgrounds and calling them names like "Stupidgrounds,"
This made me laugh. The complete lack of wit is hilarious.

I found it on the GD forums. I can't remember it exactly but someone said something along the lines of: "NOOOOOOOOOOO EFF YOU STUPIDGROUNDS!!!!!!" Couldn't stop laughing.

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:44:33

THE PETITION WORKED!!!

no

I think that what people do for a living matters a lot more than a game that I see Dashie screaming at on youtube

It's funny, because not all artist hate GD. Many of them LOVE gd and the publicity it brings them. Why do you think Dex Arson has all of his songs tagged with "GD?" And yes, these things DO need a solution, but this solution is unreasonable.

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:46:12

At 1/30/17 06:42 PM, Tebiri wrote: I don't want either one to be true; the references are fun and nice and Newgrounds shouldn't have a bad reputation because of a few users.

True. Although GD is annoying sometimes with the community, I did have some fun with it.

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:47:09

At 1/30/17 06:44 PM, Evilgrapez wrote:

I found it on the forums. I can't remember it exactly but someone said something along the lines of: "NOOOOOOOOOOO EFF YOU STUPIDGROUNDS!!!!!!" Couldn't stop laughing.

Classic.

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:51:52

THE PETITION WORKED!!!

no

*Yes, obviously it was fucking over musicians. Musicians like Waterflame, who get PAID by Topola and have become popular because of the game. Obviously none of them want their music used, despite some artists LITERALLY ADMITTING TO PLAYING AND ENJOYING THE GAME THEMSELVES.* It's really sad to see people like you generalizing the whole community as terrible. Also... You do realize this will hurt artists in the long run, right? For instance, Xtrullor's Supernova being so popular in GD practically jump started his whole career, and gave him so many new fans. Really, banning the game will only create hate and spite towards the website, and will not be good in the long run.

*Marks areas where sarcasm is used

Okay, my last message was a bit critical. Please, make sure people read this one. THIS WAS NOT NEWGROUNDS FAULT. The audio mods had nothing to do with this, and were not the ones who removed the game. Please, they do so much wonderful work on this site, and I really hope you can calm the fuck down, GD players <3

Response to Geometry Dash removed from Steam? 2017-01-30 18:57:17

At 1/30/17 06:54 PM, 1blitzer1 wrote: Okay, my last message was a bit critical. Please, make sure people read this one. THIS WAS NOT NEWGROUNDS FAULT. The audio mods had nothing to do with this, and were not the ones who removed the game. Please, they do so much wonderful work on this site, and I really hope you can calm the fuck down, GD players <3

Don't forget that there's a chance for GD to be back up within a short time span. Hopefully with tighter restrictions on what and how content can be used.

BBS Signature