00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hirimi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why are people so critical here

6,507 Views | 89 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-20 12:40:10

At 1/20/17 12:18 PM, ItsJustTerrible wrote:
At 1/20/17 10:59 AM, Supahninja wrote:
At 1/20/17 10:12 AM, ItsJustTerrible wrote:
"Honestly dude I'm not salty", and then calls everyone assholes, then throws shade on NG... seriously dude, before you try to asses everyone else, you need to look at yourself...

I didn't call everone an asshole I said why are so many people here assholes not everybody. I've done nothing to anybody I'm a supporter of this site but being honest I can see why people are going to youtube, it's too damn serious here so many critics are jerks criticism is rarely constructive and if you read through this thread I was civil with people who were civil with me. I'm even nice to harsh critics if it's constructive bruh.

While i'm not going to entertain the symantics as defense part of your post I will restate my point; supporter or not, you say one thing, and act a certain way, also I will add this: "people going to youtube" applies to animation and video form content. Game devs, artists and those looking to try out new things have only NG as a hub for all forms of media with no limitations and restrictions of content by a politically driven company. I use those few feilds as examples because they are more closely related to me than any other catagories.

Look, I realize you came here to vent because something got you upset, but to throw a lot of the community under the bus like that in order to strawman the newgrounds community into this toxic pool of retards is insulting. There is a wide range of user "archetypes"(for lack of a better word) that you are just lumping together with people you don't like. If you want to experience a better community, then you need to put IN to it instead of complaining about what you get OUT of it.

take my art for instance, when I started uploading to this new account, I uploaded my experimental shit, and I have only one drawing(more of a sketch really) in my ussual style. Noe if someone was to look at my garbage ass paintings and not like them I KNOW that it's MY FAULT that they don't like them. I will not press that back on them though, because I'M THE ONE WHO DID THE WORK, whether its considered good or not is besides the point.

critisism should be used to improve, NOT to fuel a complaint cannon, and if someone is being a dickhead then why are you expending emotional energy to think about their stud
pid ass comments? Move on! Draw something YOU WANT TO SEE, VOICE CHARACTERS YOU WANT TO VOICE, but above all do not expend any energy on people who are not making you a better artist!

And the segueys into my final point, the reason this place is getting stale is BECAUSE of the power that the creators are putting in the hands of weak ass troll acounts and poorly written reviews by pretentious fucks, if people don't learn to get out of their fucking heads and just MAKE WHAT THEY WANT then we will NEVER AGAIN have that beautiful NG that captured our hearts back in the day.

Think about it like this: faggots talk shit on shadman instead of drawing..that means less drawings...Shad reads those faggots' posts and wallows in his self pity like a faggot...less drawings...shad takes their advice and doesn't draw the shit he likes...that mean WORSE drawings and less drawings...the point is JUST MAKE SHIT, WHO CARES IF SOME LOSER TALKS SHIT? ITS NOT LIKE THEY KNOW YOU! IT'S NOT PERSONAL...KILL YOUR EGO, MAKE YOUR ART!.(sorry for errors, on a phone rn)

At 1/20/17 01:04 PM, ItsJustTerrible wrote:

You know what you're right fuck the haters embrace the users I'll stop being a fuckin cupcake and upload whatever I want even If it gets one star. also thanks for replying and don't worry about the spelling you'll never see me judge people's spelling.

Sorry I seemed a bit spazzy, but I went through 10 years caring about what other people think and all it gets you is depression and lack of improvment. I just want people to make what they want, no matter how "bad" someone says it is, art is just the filter we put on the universe, itll always be valid to someone.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-20 13:30:41

At 1/20/17 01:24 PM, ItsJustTerrible wrote: Sorry I seemed a bit spazzy, but I went through 10 years caring about what other people think and all it gets you is depression and lack of improvment. I just want people to make what they want, no matter how "bad" someone says it is, art is just the filter we put on the universe, itll always be valid to someone.

No worries man, you speak the truth my eyes have been opened you have my gratitude.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-20 14:13:33

Part of being an artist is creating things that you like, that you put your heart and energy into, and by putting it out there you're hoping that others see what you see/feel in what you created. Not everyone will. But there will always be people that do. My most recent game got terrible reviews/ratings even though I put a lot into it, but I couldn't care less, because when I think about it I think it's funny and cool. Even knowing that some people use game builders and don't know how to code for their life, yet their games get higher ratings, just makes me even more proud of my work.

Seriously, take more pride in your work yourself instead of worrying how others view it. This place isn't even as critical as it used to be, if you made this thread a decade ago here you'd get torn apart. Spedmallet was making me laugh.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-20 15:13:43

At 1/20/17 12:40 PM, Supahninja wrote: I've done nothing to anybody I'm a supporter of this site but being honest I can see why people are going to youtube

oh no supahninja don't leave us for youtube what will we do without you

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

At 1/20/17 01:17 PM, Supahninja wrote: You know what you're right fuck the haters embrace the users I'll stop being a fuckin cupcake and upload whatever I want even If it gets one star. also thanks for replying and don't worry about the spelling you'll never see me judge people's spelling.

the haters will never get me down, I am an artist, I create

you hear that haters I will never be discouraged

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-21 07:18:43

Honestly dude I'm not salty If people here don't like my stuff so be it. I just wonder why so many people here are fucking assholes even to other users, not just me that's why everyone is going to youtube.

like youtube isn't safe from the people your talking about! youtube is the source!

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-21 07:29:54

At 1/21/17 07:18 AM, cuteboy99 wrote:
Honestly dude I'm not salty If people here don't like my stuff so be it. I just wonder why so many people here are fucking assholes even to other users, not just me that's why everyone is going to youtube.
like youtube isn't safe from the people your talking about! youtube is the source!

I have a youbtube channel and can confirm it's a lot better and I'm not one of those people who bans critics.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-21 07:42:27

At 1/21/17 07:29 AM, Supahninja wrote: I have a youbtube channel and can confirm it's a lot better and I'm not one of those people who bans critics.

yeah.... you should look at more channels to understand that youtube is no different!

At 1/21/17 07:42 AM, cuteboy99 wrote:
At 1/21/17 07:29 AM, Supahninja wrote: I have a youbtube channel and can confirm it's a lot better and I'm not one of those people who bans critics.
yeah.... you should look at more channels to understand that youtube is no different!

I've been to other channels they have there haters especially the big ones they also have lots of support and the fact people can just ban rude people is a plus for them.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-21 08:54:58

At 1/21/17 08:00 AM, Supahninja wrote: I've been to other channels they have there haters especially the big ones they also have lots of support and the fact people can just ban rude people is a plus for them.

People just want to live in a bubble, nowadays. Keeping the "support", while blanking out the "rude people" and the "haters".

I'm not surprised you're getting burnt for your submissions.

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-21 09:15:25

At 1/21/17 08:54 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 1/21/17 08:00 AM, Supahninja wrote: I've been to other channels they have there haters especially the big ones they also have lots of support and the fact people can just ban rude people is a plus for them.

Did you read my post above I don't block people for criticizing my video that's the weakest thing you can do unless you're blocking trolls who are making things toxic for your viewers. We live in the snow flake age true but on YouTube there are many more friendly people which is why so many people go there now, they can get 700 subs and get good feedback to improve uploading a stickman series that would get ripped apart here. Rather you like it or not that's why people moved there why deal with so much crap when you don't have to?

At 1/21/17 09:15 AM, Supahninja wrote: on YouTube there are many more friendly people which is why so many people go there now, they can get 700 subs and get good feedback to improve uploading a stickman series that would get ripped apart here.

Give an example, as I'm more familiar with YouTube people being overlooked unless they already have some community backing anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-21 11:27:16

At 1/21/17 10:57 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 1/21/17 09:15 AM, Supahninja wrote:

I make stop motion videos when I was a rookie they where super encouraging and never put me down thanks to that I have nearly 3000 subs 2911 to be exact. They're the same with animations nobody knew me it first but they were super friendly, the story of the guy with 700 subs making stick man animations is true he started with very basic videos the same vids a lot of people here would call shit but they gave him a chance and supported him now he's got a mini Fandom. I won't give out a link to my channel tho I don't want that here.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-21 12:49:02

At 1/21/17 11:27 AM, Supahninja wrote: I won't give out a link to my channel tho I don't want that here.

/rollseyes

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-21 14:07:55

At 1/21/17 09:15 AM, Supahninja wrote: Did you read my post above I don't block people for criticizing my video that's the weakest thing you can do unless you're blocking trolls who are making things toxic for your viewers.

Woah chill out snowflake :^)

We live in the snow flake age true but on YouTube there are many more friendly people which is why so many people go there now, they can get 700 subs and get good feedback

Everyone is a whiny idiot but please be nice to me I can't take take criticism

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-23 17:47:20

Newgrounds is critique-centric. The reviewer is more important than the creator/creation. It is just structured that way. It is actually very well structured in that it is easy for poor critiques to disappear based entirely on merit. Good behavior wins you defense and hit points, so on. It is full of unfair putzes, but weirdly the fairest it can be about it. Therefor the point of being on newgrounds is for animators, musicians, illustrators and game designers to get better at their craft.... NOT for people to enjoy things. If you want people to have a conversation about the content rather than your technical skills you will have to go elsewhere, newgrounds just can't do that.

It's part of the reason Newgrounds isn't as.... flourishing as it could be. If I was newgrounds, I would do a bit of re-branding to make the educational aspect more prevalent..... The fact that you and many many MANY other users make threads and commentary like this is that it isn't inherently obvious this place isn't for having fun.... well... not for creators. This place could replace animation/gaming schools if it played it's cards right.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-23 18:29:36

At 1/23/17 05:47 PM, Warlord-of-Noodles wrote: Newgrounds is critique-centric. The reviewer is more important than the creator/creation. It is just structured that way. It is actually very well structured in that it is easy for poor critiques to disappear based entirely on merit. Good behavior wins you defense and hit points, so on. It is full of unfair putzes, but weirdly the fairest it can be about it. Therefor the point of being on newgrounds is for animators, musicians, illustrators and game designers to get better at their craft.... NOT for people to enjoy things. If you want people to have a conversation about the content rather than your technical skills you will have to go elsewhere, newgrounds just can't do that.

It's part of the reason Newgrounds isn't as.... flourishing as it could be. If I was newgrounds, I would do a bit of re-branding to make the educational aspect more prevalent..... The fact that you and many many MANY other users make threads and commentary like this is that it isn't inherently obvious this place isn't for having fun.... well... not for creators. This place could replace animation/gaming schools if it played it's cards right.

Well that hits the nail right on the head, most the people looking to have a good time have left which sucks newgrounds has the potential to be a media gaint especially considering how loose the censorship rules are.

It's just when I see a site about playing games and animating which at there very core are meant to be fun, taken so seriously to the point people's self esteem is crushed you know something needs to change.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-25 00:47:09

Isn't criticism a 'take it or leave it' philosophy? In the realm of 'with a grain of salt'?

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-27 14:35:25

@Supahninja why did you delete all of your art?

\ / Bunny ears didn't happen by accident

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-27 14:50:20

At 1/27/17 02:35 PM, adultvideos wrote: @Supahninja why did you delete all of your art?

To get a fresh start I'm going in a different direction I won't be uploading hentai anymore. To be honest I didn't think anyone would even notice.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-27 14:56:28

At 1/27/17 02:35 PM, adultvideos wrote: @Supahninja why did you delete all of your art?

Of there where any pics you liked let me know I'll undelete them

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-02-04 02:48:18

Holy shit, this thread is hilarious.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-02-11 23:45:21

At 2/4/17 02:48 AM, Lusin wrote: Holy shit, this thread is hilarious.

lol

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2020-09-30 10:58:55

At 1/14/17 10:26 AM, Supahninja wrote: Before I start I want people to know I'm not salty or anything my content isn't the best hell not even close everything I'm on this site to practice and upload funny shit. Now to my main point I can't help but feel like a lot of people are waaaay too critical of other people's work I've seen really great content get ripped apart by people for the most nitpicky shit imaginable most of the harshest critics aren't even animators at that. What happened to just uploading fun content and people being supportive for a change I've had good luck in that regard but some people who make truly great stuff can't catch a break. I think the problem is people's standards are too fucking high they want everything to look professional and seem to forget people have to start somewhere not to mention the portal gives some a god complexe. I love this place but I can see why YouTube is destroying it people don't have to go through that damn portal and actually get encouragement to improve and don't have to deal with people with these insane standards most of which can't make a sick man animation. I just wish people didn't take things so seriously it's particularly bad with animations just a bunch of assholes with nothing better to do than hate on people's work. Also shoutouts to constructive critics who have helped me improve you guys are the reason I became a supporter.

like at the end of the day I shouldn’t care about star ratings but like come on why can’t it be back then where people find everyone amazing and vibe with it and I’m not saying that you can’t be critiqued but I’m saying that people who want to critique should know what that person is going for in their style and not assume everything to be next level shiz or giving them help that is way too out of the artist league like the artist is let’s say a beginner and someone comes over here eithe “help” that is giving them way too much advance advance and expect them to master that kind of skill in the next few drawings

Response to Why are people so critical here 2020-09-30 11:56:48

Your art is good, the body is the hardest part and you do that well. A few tips would be just to add shading and make the eyes a little higher.

There is a great talk from Arnold where he talks about how he succeeded when a lot of people were hating him. Especially at about 20 minutes.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2020-10-09 08:03:57

Do you know what a run-on sentence is?

Response to Why are people so critical here 2020-10-16 03:02:43

1. There is a button located on your keyboard called ENTER. Learn to use it.

2. Your art is subpar at best. Can improvements be made. Sure. Will people leave you constructive criticism? Yes. Will people be highly critical of your work? Yes. Why? Because Newgrounds is a place where creative people grow. There is a reason why we are better than YouTube and DeviantArt. You won't see this kind of criticism there because the audiences there have low attention spans.

3. I'm not knocking any creator who also publishes their works on YouTube or makes something short. It's just that's where that audience is right now. Where the mainstream is at its current time. Here on Newgrounds, it is not only entertainment and anything can gain recognition in some way shape or form. Some of my favorites on here are just that. Weird and crude. Like these...

I'm not gonna be too critical on them, because they were made this way on purpose with this intent. I'm certainly not going to put them on a pedestal high above some of the greatest works here.

To put it bluntly. Criticism will come at you. Both positive, negative, and constructive. Overall though it is important to look at what people are saying and see how you can improve. Even from the negative criticism. It is hard to give people what they want without asking. You risk a lot when you put your works out there. You have to accept that you may lose.

Newgrounds is critical. It is though a place where you can become better. If you want to stagnate and have the easy path, then that's fine. You will hit your peak, people will tire of your work, you'll have a small dedicated fanbase, and then you will disappear into obscurity wondering why people stopped following you.

Then again, you can stay here and receive the criticism and advice given to you. Then you can amass more people to you grow as a creator.

Also learn how to speak to other people. I have a feeling if you become popular and one person doesn't like what you do, you will lash out at them and your downward spiral will begin.