00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tallya just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Google's Getting Rid of Flash

611 Views | 12 Replies

Google's Getting Rid of Flash 2016-12-11 02:00:48

Newgrounds doesn't use anything flash-related right?

Good.

Be a real shame if it did.

Because if it did, Newgrounds would suddenly lose a lot of functionality.

Then it would lose a lot of popularity.

It would become the Myspace of amateur indie content.

Lazily written article by the Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/15/11679394/chrome-to-block-flash-later-2016

So have you guys considered making your own special browser or extension to save yourselves?

If not I would throw in the towel now.

But hey, at least Google is moving forward for the betterment of the PC Master Race right?

Response to Google's Getting Rid of Flash 2016-12-11 02:05:58

"Of course, this change still doesn't fully remove Flash from Chrome. It's still in there and still able to be widely run, so long as people keep giving it permission. "

Response to Google's Getting Rid of Flash 2016-12-14 19:41:45

At 12/11/16 02:11 AM, LuckyLightTitan wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1417824

That thread is old news.

It proposes it will be harder to use Flash.

That is not accurate.

They will no longer be giving the option for flash.

They are going to outright block it.

Response to Google's Getting Rid of Flash 2016-12-14 20:37:00

At 12/14/16 07:41 PM, Epycwyn wrote:
At 12/11/16 02:11 AM, LuckyLightTitan wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1417824
That thread is old news.

It proposes it will be harder to use Flash.

That is not accurate.

They will no longer be giving the option for flash.

They are going to outright block it.

Actually, no. This is exactly the same as that thread. @LuckyLightTitan is right. There is no new information here.

Just because you link a website which wasn't linked in the other thread doesn't make this new information. I'm sure there are millions of sites all with near-identical information, simply copied and reworded many times. This doesn't make any of them new information.

Flash isn't "getting rid of". You just have to click to enable. Which is something you've had to do for quite a while now anyway, at least using Chrome's default configuration. Is it that hard for you to right-click and say "allow" ?

All I see this doing is killing Flash ads, but advertisers never should have used Flash for ads anyway. It was an abuse of the Flash platform. Maybe now those advertisers will get a clue.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Google's Getting Rid of Flash 2016-12-14 21:47:38

At 12/11/16 02:05 AM, DragonLimbo wrote: "Of course, this change still doesn't fully remove Flash from Chrome. It's still in there and still able to be widely run, so long as people keep giving it permission. "

Well case closed!

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Google's Getting Rid of Flash 2016-12-14 22:54:35

Firefox

Response to Google's Getting Rid of Flash 2016-12-15 00:10:17

At 12/11/16 02:05 AM, DragonLimbo wrote: "Of course, this change still doesn't fully remove Flash from Chrome. It's still in there and still able to be widely run, so long as people keep giving it permission. "

Basically the same thing as having an outdated player, constantly asking you permission. Firefox does the same thing to me. Our newer submissions I think here will be in HTML5 or MP4 though

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Google's Getting Rid of Flash 2016-12-15 10:28:15

Don't blame Google for this. Flash (like Java) for web-browsers were made using NPAPI, which had a lot of security issues in the past. That's why Chrome is dropping support for NPAPI plugins.

Flash is no longer being developed by Adobe. It was only useful when there were no alternatives for working with graphics, animations and audio in web-browsers. But now most of that is built into the web-browser without any need for plugins - there's HTML 5, V8 and (not complete) ES2016+ support in Chrome already. Flash just isn't needed anymore.

I don't know under what rock were you living, but Google talked about this maybe a year and a half ago. Newgrounds has already adapted to supporting HTML5 content.

If you're triggered because of the historical content of Newgrounds being inaccessible anymore in the future, well, that's another topic all together.

\ / Bunny ears didn't happen by accident

BBS Signature

Response to Google's Getting Rid of Flash 2016-12-15 12:42:38

At 12/15/16 12:11 PM, sjwgenocide wrote: the idea of developing tools to turn old flash games into playable things in another form is interesting but i'm not sure how the logistics of it would work. maybe someone could write an swf emulator or something

There are already some open-source Flash Player projects available (Lightspark and GNU Gnash for example). Though it might require you to fiddle around more in some circumstances and I don't know about the performance.

\ / Bunny ears didn't happen by accident

BBS Signature

Response to Google's Getting Rid of Flash 2016-12-15 13:47:34

At 12/14/16 07:41 PM, Epycwyn wrote:
That thread is old news.

It's the exact same article with a different headline

Nice reading, yo

BBS Signature

Response to Google's Getting Rid of Flash 2016-12-15 17:29:35

At 12/15/16 12:10 AM, EDM364 wrote: Basically the same thing as having an outdated player, constantly asking you permission. Firefox does the same thing to me. Our newer submissions I think here will be in HTML5 or MP4 though

Anyone who is smart is already doing this. At the very least they're taking it into consideration. HTML5/JavaScript/CSS (and optionally WebGL) for games, MP4 for videos.

Additionally you don't have to code in straight HTML5/JavaScript/CSS/WebGL if you don't want to. Many people are using Haxe, Unity, and other development environments and programming languages which can export to HTML5/JavaScript/CSS/WebGL. And I should say for anyone who is using Unity, *definitely* export to HTML5 and don't require the user to have the Unity browser plugin.

At 12/15/16 10:28 AM, adultvideos wrote: If you're triggered because of the historical content of Newgrounds being inaccessible anymore in the future, well, that's another topic all together.

Not gonna be an issue because the Flash plugin isn't going away. It's simply going to be disabled by default, requiring manual enabling it. It requires one extra step from the end user, but all you might have to do as a content creator is put a little note saying you'll need to manually enable Flash to view the content. Done.

At 12/15/16 12:11 PM, sjwgenocide wrote: the idea of developing tools to turn old flash games into playable things in another form is interesting but i'm not sure how the logistics of it would work. maybe someone could write an swf emulator or something

That would be the only way to do that, and it would be nightmarish. Emulation is never perfect after all, and it's hard enough to get "good enough" emulation of even systems which are extremely old. And even then you'll find software which won't work correctly under it but which did work correctly on the real deal.

At 12/15/16 12:42 PM, adultvideos wrote: There are already some open-source Flash Player projects available (Lightspark and GNU Gnash for example). Though it might require you to fiddle around more in some circumstances and I don't know about the performance.

Yeah but they're not that good. I doubt you could get half of the games on Newgrounds running correctly under them. It's the same problem with Moonlight (the open-source Silverlight plugin alternative). Simply-put nothing you'd actually want to use on it even works on it, or very little, at best.

You'd almost be better off making an emulation of NPAPI which itself runs on top of Pepper API or whatever, and then run the old official plugins through that plugin emulation layer.

But I wouldn't worry about it though. Flash isn't going anywhere as long as those plugins still work, even if you have to do the simple task of right-click allow.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Google's Getting Rid of Flash 2016-12-17 23:55:11

Flash has been obsolete for a long time now.

Things like HTML5 have removed any need for it.

Response to Google's Getting Rid of Flash 2016-12-18 03:29:01

Thought Google was outright removing Flash.

Turns out click-baity titles and poor Reddit summaries make Jack a dull-witted boy.

They are apparently just being more annoying to people who prefer Flash for security reasons.

Anyone who doesn't already hide their IP is already screwed security-wise so I do not see the point in this half-measure.