00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted SkilledFella supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

"How Are You?" "Fine." "Good."

1,585 Views | 27 Replies

"How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-08 19:58:42

When someone asks you how you are, do you generally respond by saying that you're fine or good? I've noticed that the majority of people do this, even when they're not fine or okay.

Generally, I've noticed that I do this with strangers or acquaintances. If a close friend asks me how I am, I'll be honest and won't reduce my answer to a one word response.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone do this? Have you ever known anyone who gave you their whole life story when you asked them how they were?

BBS Signature

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-08 20:01:45

People tell me that "how are you?" is really just a greeting.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-08 20:37:18

I usually use those responses because apparently telling everyone to fuck off is rude.

Seriously tho I try to be nice when I can or when I have to be

At 12/8/16 07:58 PM, Alias wrote: When someone asks you how you are, do you generally respond by saying that you're fine or good?

I usually reply back with good.

I've noticed that the majority of people do this, even when they're not fine or okay.

Yeah. For the most part I think it's just a quick and polite way to end the conversation with minimal interaction.

At 12/8/16 08:37 PM, FoAngel wrote: I usually use those responses because apparently telling everyone to fuck off is rude.

This too.

"It's called consolidation; strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals."

I also draw stuff. Here's some of it.

BBS Signature

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-08 21:21:36

It's to avoid human interaction and creating something that they want to talk about.

Duh

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-08 23:43:26

I usually say "I'm okay," which is usually the truth, though I sometimes substitute "tired" or "busy" to which I always get some kind of "me too" response.

If I'm sitting down with someone instead of just passing them I'm more likely to not respond or honestly say if something's wrong.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-08 23:54:55

It's better than droning about how sad/happy/angry you are when people usually don't care. :P

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-09 00:06:05

I'm doing motherfucking fabulous!

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-09 00:07:36

Yeah, sometimes I do but that's only because I try to get rid of people instead of engaging in a conversation. Every now and then I'll say "eh, could be better".

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-09 01:37:39

At 12/8/16 08:37 PM, FoAngel wrote: Seriously tho I try to be nice when I can or when I have to be

Same, lately though I've been considering fucking with people by saying, "I'd be better if I knew where to hide a body" or just other really stupid shit.

At 12/9/16 12:29 AM, Zornuzkull wrote: I usually tell them they soon stop asking...

How are you doing today, Zornuzkull?

At 12/9/16 12:57 AM, ZadiztikAphiid wrote: Replying with "I'm good" is actually incorrect usage of the queen's English. You're supposed to say "I'm fine."

But I AM good. Good at saying #FUCKTHEQUEEN

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-09 01:58:42

I usually refrain answering since my answer is of no importance to the asker.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-09 07:54:54

At 12/8/16 07:58 PM, Alias wrote: When someone asks you how you are, do you generally respond by saying that you're fine or good?

I usually say "Well, an important part of me turned grey and fell off yesterday, on top of that they say it traumatised the nearby children and now have to pay for their therapy. God damn town council."

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

I usually go with the middle-ground OK if I'm not feeling better than that. Otherwise: good. I don't think I'd ever tell a stranger if I'm not feeling OK, though, that's the minimum state of being I'll showcase. Definitely depends on who asks. And the circumstance.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-09 09:57:35

At 12/8/16 07:58 PM, Alias wrote: When someone asks you how you are, do you generally respond by saying that you're fine or good? I've noticed that the majority of people do this, even when they're not fine or okay.

No, I always respond, "Shit, as always."

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-09 10:08:08

At 12/9/16 09:57 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: No, I always respond, "Shit, as always."

The more you say it, the more you'll feel it. :/

BBS Signature

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-09 11:17:16

IMO it's actually somewhat rude to ask those sorts of questions. So any reply you give is justified, even if the asker "totally didn't want to know that" or whatever.

If you want to have meaningful conversation, ask meaningful questions. Better yet, don't ask questions; just start out with relevant conversation.

Better to remain silent than to "small talk". Small talk just indicates you have absolutely nothing in common and thus why even bother interacting anyway?

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Unless im having a super shitty/amazing day, I usually just reply with a "pretty good" regardless of how im actually feeling, and then respond in kind. Rarely do I have anyone give me more than a 1-3 word answer to the question, and if they do, its just a short sentence explaining what they were up to in the past hour or two

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-09 17:04:04

I usually answer with good because I aint got no time, but I sometimes talk about my day. I don't really have a problem talking about my personal life with people I barely know, maybe they'll give me some good advice.

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-09 17:39:46

Yeah, I've complained to co-workers enough that most of them know to not ask or immediately apologize before I have a chance to respond. For customers, I generally ignore the question and ask how I may assist them. I've actually offended three people in the last decade for doing that. "Oh, ok. I guess you're FINE then!" or something bitchy along those lines. In some cases, I will respond with various bits of nonsense, such as
"I'm what you kids would call 'groovy!'"
"I still have all nine of my fingers."
"I can still taste the fish oil I had this morning."
"I didn't do it! Wait, what did you say?"
"Mur. Also... mur."
"What? What?! WHAT?! This better be about pizza.
"I hugged a dog. He farted. My day's complete."
"I want to tell you I'm doing well, but that'll jinx it, and my day will be ruined, but I can't say I'm not doing well, because I might convince myself of that, and both of us would be worse off for the response, so I'm going to say a whole bunch of stuff really fast and we can both get back to doing productive stuff, like not burning more of the chicken I left in the fryer earlier. I'm sorry for the smell."
"I hate everything. You?"

At 12/9/16 05:39 PM, Phronemophobia wrote: I will respond with various bits of nonsense, such as
"I'm what you kids would call 'groovy!'"
"I still have all nine of my fingers."
"I can still taste the fish oil I had this morning."
"I didn't do it! Wait, what did you say?"
"Mur. Also... mur."
"What? What?! WHAT?! This better be about pizza.
"I hugged a dog. He farted. My day's complete."
"I hate everything. You?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V2sBURgUBI

ratchili.com i make stuff

BBS Signature

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-09 19:03:25

At 12/9/16 01:14 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: I got laid last night so pretty happy...

Ayyy, my man. That's what I like to hear.

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-09 21:52:05

I just walk right pass the person without saying a word. Is that rude?

I turn water into water

BBS Signature

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-09 23:18:40

I always say I am good even though I am always sad.

Fuck the mainstream.

Yeah those "auto responses" we sometimes give, but recently I ask how a stranger was doing and they replied "terrible" and I just thought to myself, "well that's too bad" and kept on about mines; but that was an invitation for further conversation to maybe ask what was troubling them; but in that moment I did not care.

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-10 10:12:20

At 12/9/16 10:08 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/9/16 09:57 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: No, I always respond, "Shit, as always."

I listen to emocore, for fuck's sake. And I even enjoy it.

At 12/9/16 11:17 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Better to remain silent than to "small talk". Small talk just indicates you have absolutely nothing in common and thus why even bother interacting anyway?

You have just become my new favourite person.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-10 11:33:23

At 12/10/16 10:12 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 12/9/16 10:08 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
I listen to emocore, for fuck's sake. And I even enjoy it.

Well if you feel good saying it, I guess it's all good! XD

BBS Signature

Response to "How Are You?" "Fine." "Good." 2016-12-10 13:47:14

At 12/10/16 11:33 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Well if you feel good saying it, I guess it's all good! XD

So you don't think feeling good about regularly singing along to suicidal lyrics is weird?

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

At 12/10/16 01:47 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 12/10/16 11:33 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Well if you feel good saying it, I guess it's all good! XD
So you don't think feeling good about regularly singing along to suicidal lyrics is weird?

Well if you feel good it's good! Weird or no. Long as it's not harming anyone else. Personally I'd rather go for some more motivating and self-affirming lyrics, but to each his ownage.

BBS Signature