00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

UmanaJose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design

25,689 Views | 329 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 03:13:00

At 11/28/16 06:18 PM, ChillyCheese wrote:
At 11/28/16 05:38 PM, Leox0 wrote: Sooooo, here is a concept i came up with not sure if I'm sticking with it, but please!

Let me know what you think!
Cool concept, nice drawing too! Solid shapes and line work. My only suggestion would be to think about weight in your poses. The characters feel really stiff. Think about the direction of the hips and the shoulders and how they relate. A popular method for creating a dynamic standing pose is Contrapposto, or to have the hips and shoulders angled in opposite directions.

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback, although I don't intend to use this as my final illustration, this is just the concept art! But when I do find a pose for the illustration I'll definetly use some of this stuff you've told me :)

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 07:08:03

PIG!

Trying to figure out where the shading is going to go on my hero's pet.
Think i'll call him Sedgewick.

Thinking of giving him like a satchel or something so he's not just a useless pig.

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 09:45:42

At 11/30/16 12:10 AM, Mustachi050 wrote: Can someone help me, please?
I'm fairly new to Photoshop and having issues with painting. My issue is that I'm experiencing paint overlap or build up of one color. How do you prevent this? Picture for example. In this example its just with the mouse but does it with my pad too. Just annoying that's all.

This is caused by the brush tool you are using and the settings and could be for a number of reasons. If it is on different layers, could be they have different opacity or transparency values; if they are on the same layer the brush itself could be set to be transparent or low flow rate, this can be double checked at the top of the view window and adjusted; additionally the layer setting or brush setting could be not set to normal, meaning color dodge or something and then lines will draw over each other; barring these tool it means it is the brush setting itself and for this you need to go into the brush tool and change the settings, to not build up under options and to not use settings that allow overlap. If you give a screenshot of the entire screen I could say more, but what is shown those would be my guesses:

TLDR Version:
1) Check Layer Setting to be 100% opacity
2) Check Brush Setting to be 100% opacity and flow
3) Check Layer and Brush setting to be Normal type in the drop down
4) Examine the brush tool settings itself (Window -> Brush or F5)

Hope that helps!

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 10:46:03

At 11/29/16 08:58 PM, usgurshaan178 wrote:
At 11/29/16 01:06 PM, ChillyCheese wrote: More progress! Cleaned the line work a bit, changed the pose and reworked the tones.
Came here randomly looking around the thread, and it's so fun seeing these designs, but this looks awesome. I love it.

Hey thanks man, I'm glad you like it!

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 11:43:07

At 11/29/16 11:54 PM, Rayiless wrote:
At 11/29/16 07:57 PM, seileag wrote: Color passes for my Hero. She's a doctor and her pet is a blood-letting leech :^) Any ideas for her colors, or critiques on the outfit? I worry it's too modern but she needs to come across clearly as a doc.
You could go with something like the plague doctor look for that mix of medieval and doctor styling? Change the scrubs slightly to be more of a robe and would fit well with the leech idea.

Hey, thanks! I considered a plague doctor but they are so overused ... However they are very popular. Hm!

I was thinking earlier today I will change her scrubs to a robe, it would make much more sense.

Maybe her "scalpel staff" could be a staff with a plague doctor head on it?

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 11:44:59

At 11/30/16 07:08 AM, Snosrapmot wrote: PIG!

Trying to figure out where the shading is going to go on my hero's pet.
Think i'll call him Sedgewick.

Thinking of giving him like a satchel or something so he's not just a useless pig.

What is the theme of your hero? It could correlate to that.

A satchel is a great idea. Maybe it can carry potions for the hero.

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 11:57:21

was thinking of Ash and Storm but then realized the animal needs to be smaller than the hero XD

Update to my Hero. Much more happy with this rendition.

Second WIP for my hero and pet. Flipped them over the other way and I quite like it. I feel she lacking in the medieval department. And I'm also still trying to decide on the colour pallet for them

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 16:32:19

At 11/30/16 04:16 PM, LexiconOfPeril wrote: Second WIP for my hero and pet. Flipped them over the other way and I quite like it. I feel she lacking in the medieval department. And I'm also still trying to decide on the colour pallet for them

Regarding the color pallette -- there's a lot of cool colors in it and neutrals. Brown, blue, green. To really make it pop, try coloring small details with a parallel color, like pink or orange. For instance, make her eyes, hair tie, and other small details pink :^) Give it a try!

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 17:03:49

Ok colouring in Borris, not sure about the hairy belly. Will see how it looks when some work is done on the wings.

BBS Signature

I'm thinking a lil fire knight and Pheonix buddy how do the roughs look?

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 17:58:26

Alright peepeeheads!

Here's my final entry!

Fixed stupid mistakes like bendy lance and feathers blowing the wrong way :D

Sky Jouster!

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 18:53:03

here is my wip for this cotm

enjoy.

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 20:58:22

At 11/30/16 06:53 PM, mike13erg wrote: here is my wip for this cotm

enjoy.

Glorious! Why must all the skeleton guys be so cool? I'm jelly now (nah just kidding) Awesome concept man. I'm a fan of the torch pet. So much sass in there

Some character exploration. I feel that if we had to design villains or npc's those would fit more than heroes( whoops, haha). The monk/mage might be all indicated thought. So going to work on that.

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 22:02:53

My female knight blacksmith with her pet miniture medieval rhino. I cannot decide on a pose. Here what I have so far. Taking it slow so I can do my very best. I have no way of doing digital so it all traditional for me.

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 22:54:40

Good evening everyone! It's really awesome to see all the hard work so many people are putting into their entries. What amazes me is the way you guys are working together and helping each other out. Like nothing I've seen before!

This is my first time participating in one of Jazza's COTM, and I'm really having fun with it. Here's what I've got so far, hope you guys like it.

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-11-30 23:02:47

I've been always changing my concepts for my entry but now, this is my final concept..
I use my OC (Original Character), Josh..
He is wearing armor and boots. Weapons are two axes. And his pet, a smart cat.. :)
I scanned my entry, enhanced by Photoshop, converted into vector lines by Illustrator and transferred to my Android Tablet for coloring.. :)
Still WIP :)

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-12-01 01:58:12

alright, so I'm working with the weaver-spider concept. it is still under development so this is not final yet

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-12-01 02:20:46

not really shure about the colors, what do you guys think.

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-12-01 06:23:59

This is my finished piece, Phil the Pheonix and his knightly friend.

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-12-01 08:48:05

At 12/1/16 02:20 AM, mike13erg wrote: not really shure about the colors, what do you guys think.

Mmm there's good parts to the color. I like the color of the shadowed side of his armor with the pink reflection in it. The hot pink sword isn't doing much for me though. If I were coloring him I'd use a colder palette overall, more like your shadow colors, the design just gives me an impression of cold-ness. Though that might push him too far away from hero territory to a villain idk. Your line work is gorgeous though.

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-12-01 10:47:19

Here is the latest update of Crawbone, I have a feeling I may not be making it cartoon like enough. The earlier versions were more cartoonish in nature I am fearful with this level of rendering it may take away from it, what do you guys think? Also I like the color sort of mismatch with the base color and then the like blue-green mane of the wolf with the light purple eyes. The only parts I have left is to render out the rest of the body, the gem heart in the ribcage, and then shade and finalize parts. hopefully this isn't too detailed... >.>

here is my new colored version,
ChillyCheese thx for the compliments and feedback here is the result.
i think i like this one more now.

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-12-01 16:15:46

At 12/1/16 04:01 PM, mike13erg wrote: here is my new colored version,
ChillyCheese thx for the compliments and feedback here is the result.
i think i like this one more now.

this is really awesome the colour palette is much nicer!

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-12-01 16:27:40

First time posting in a wip-thread and no idea what to post ... feeling weird.
dunno why.
Anyway, tried yesterday/today some sketches/colo. =I

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-12-01 16:32:54

Heh, last WIP for the Plague Doctress and her Bloodletting Leech! I'm much more pleased with this design than prior.

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-12-01 16:35:38

At 11/30/16 10:54 PM, WhereIsMyPen wrote: Good evening everyone! It's really awesome to see all the hard work so many people are putting into their entries. What amazes me is the way you guys are working together and helping each other out. Like nothing I've seen before!

This is my first time participating in one of Jazza's COTM, and I'm really having fun with it. Here's what I've got so far, hope you guys like it.

I love the lil fire guy! He has a really nice design -- Most fire characters are round shaped, but this one is unique in that it's thin and long like a candle!

Response to Dec 2016 COTM: Hero & Pet Design 2016-12-01 16:45:08

Since this is my first participation I have a question.

To participate I just upload my work here on the site (under "upload your creations"), add the tag 'B-HeroPetChallenge' and in the description text I add a link to one WIP-picture of the artwork.
Is that correct? Anything I missed?

Thanks!