00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

1Her0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorite video game designer

5,729 Views | 108 Replies

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-08-28 23:07:43

At 8/21/21 12:56 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 7/19/21 01:11 AM, Thinglet wrote: American Mcgee because he has a funny name
@Thinglet Is that the only reason? lol

pretty much. I can't really remember what he contributed to doom and I haven't played much of alice in wonder land yet.

he's pretty much one of the only game designers I can name

Me looking at your horrible post

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-08-31 05:22:28

@Lafio13 What was your favorite part of celeste?

Story and game design, the story is really touching and the game design is so smartly designed it never feels impossible, i just feel like i need to give it a few more tries and ill beat the section.

Excellent game play will make any game fun. Update me when you advance further.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-09-29 02:36:55

At 8/1/21 03:25 PM, spacebruhjesus wrote:
At 9/3/16 02:55 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Who is your favorite video game developer? They can be race, alive or dead.
Daisuke Amaya. He singlehandedly created Cave Story. Everything from the graphics and music, to the spritework and the software used to create the music, were all created by him, over the course of 5 years. When he was done, he distributed it online for free, just because he wanted to share his game with as many people as he could.

@spacebruhjesus

Nice pick. That is a great story about Cave Story.

At 8/12/21 04:52 PM, eljonas12 wrote:
At 9/3/16 02:55 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Who is your favorite video game developer? They can be race, alive or dead.
miyamoto

@eljonas12

I know there are many different reasons, but why did you pick miyamoto?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-10-12 13:39:28

@SonicPark1999 @JingryBluewing @SuperRipley

This also applies to game designers on NewGrounds. Which designer is your favorite?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-10-13 01:12:37

Gen Kobayashi, his art is just so sexy.

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-10-20 01:08:20

At 10/14/21 07:23 PM, JingryBluewing wrote:
At 10/12/21 01:39 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

This also applies to game designers on NewGrounds. Which designer is your favorite?
Like This: https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/virtudary/trick-or-kiss

I like how you did that. Nice pick.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-10-20 07:42:48

Yoko Taro (creator of the Drakengard series and NieR). And it only took me few weeks for me to get to know him.

Back in April 2021 to August 2021 i played NieR Replicant v1.22 and NieR Automata when years ago i used to lurk around the world of video games, but back then i didn't have any console before. The first time i heard about NieR was the fact this game had multiple endings you could follow in a linear order during the whole game while it had its own moments. Yoko Taro has the tendence of mixing various sentiments and then adding weird stuff.

After playing it, my influence on an ideal creation i would ever do in the future has forever changed, and will likely think of elements that deconstructs typical moments seen in many media around.

Yoko Taro is a damn lore master.

big titties, vargskelethor fan and retro vgm music lover in the dungeon.

Art Thread in Forum (doodles and everything else)

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-10-23 12:58:50

Scott Rogers. Besides being the designer of god of war and pac man world, this absolute chad cracked the code and made an actual guide on how to design a game instead of some stupid obvious shot only kids would find appealing,

sometimes, i'll leave for like a month, then i'll come back and be all like "whooaaaa new shit"

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-10-23 20:41:20

At 10/20/21 07:42 AM, AleF2050 wrote: Yoko Taro (creator of the Drakengard series and NieR). And it only took me few weeks for me to get to know him.

Back in April 2021 to August 2021 i played NieR Replicant v1.22 and NieR Automata when years ago i used to lurk around the world of video games, but back then i didn't have any console before. The first time i heard about NieR was the fact this game had multiple endings you could follow in a linear order during the whole game while it had its own moments. Yoko Taro has the tendence of mixing various sentiments and then adding weird stuff.

After playing it, my influence on an ideal creation i would ever do in the future has forever changed, and will likely think of elements that deconstructs typical moments seen in many media around.

Yoko Taro is a damn lore master.

You are the first to mention him. This is why is why I made this topic, so we can all learn about new Game Designers and why they are important.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-10-25 01:02:07

Michel Ancel as he's one of the few developers who understood game design and world building. Rayman 2 and Origins are excellent games, but King Kong was also a brilliant game (haven't play Beyond Good and Evil, yet.) I want to wish him a happy retirement, but I'm scared to know if the sexual misconduct allegations are true... Who would have thought a man who fought for creative freedom against his own company would follow their behavior...

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-10-28 03:51:12

At 10/23/21 12:58 PM, ReesesinPieces wrote: Scott Rogers. Besides being the designer of god of war and pac man world, this absolute chad cracked the code and made an actual guide on how to design a game instead of some stupid obvious shot only kids would find appealing,

@ReesesinPieces

God of War is a great franchise, but I have not had the chance to play any of them. Do you have the link for this Designer a Game guide?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-12-07 00:42:12

Out of corporations? Valve.

Regardless of the controversy surrounding them over the last several years, this is still the company responsible for Steam, the Half Life series, the Left 4 Dead series, and the Portal series.

Mad love for them, even after all this time. Even with no HL3.

Just wish they would commit to making games again.

Out of people? ConcernedApe.

Absolute madlad builds an entire game from raw C# code, teaches himself how to GameDev, cobbles together sprites, animations, etc. over a long period of time and creates one of the most wildly successful indie games in the world.

Absolute chad. I aspire to be even half as great as this guy someday.

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-12-07 15:03:51

Pretty much any of the devs Civvie11 follows on twitter. They're just good people.

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Support me at PATREON, SUBSCRIBESTAR or donate at my KO-FI

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-12-09 02:56:47

At 10/25/21 01:02 AM, crummylion wrote: Michel Ancel as he's one of the few developers who understood game design and world building. Rayman 2 and Origins are excellent games, but King Kong was also a brilliant game (haven't play Beyond Good and Evil, yet.) I want to wish him a happy retirement, but I'm scared to know if the sexual misconduct allegations are true... Who would have thought a man who fought for creative freedom against his own company would follow their behavior...

@crummylion

I think you are the first to bring him up. I will have to add him to the list.

At 12/6/21 01:45 PM, JingryBluewing wrote:
At 10/20/21 01:08 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 10/14/21 07:23 PM, JingryBluewing wrote:
At 10/12/21 01:39 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

Like This: https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/virtudary/trick-or-kiss
I like how you did that. Nice pick.
Actully Is My Creator!

Really? Tell me more.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-12-09 05:09:45

I don't have a favorite.. because I'm not a six year old.

Anyway, some video game designers I like are Terry Cavanagh, Ken Levine, Shigeru Miyamoto obviously, Jonathan Blow, Ron Gilbert, Tim Sweeney, Hideo Kojima..

And there are plenty of others. But those are just the ones I'm remember off the top of my head right now. I'd include Phil Fish if he'd made more than just one game. All I can say is that FEZ was a masterpiece but a one hit wonder does not a list of GOATs make.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-12-09 05:11:42

Maybe Tommy Refenes too. The other guy from Team Meat seemed pretentious and a bit of a dick and though both of them have been too classy to talk about why they won't work together again, my gut tells me it was because the other guy was insufferable. Didn't even have the courage or integrity to work on SMF which was a masterpiece imo.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-12-09 05:13:52

At 9/7/16 10:42 PM, DELUCA2400 wrote: In no particular order:

Ken Levine
Hideo Kojima
Shigeru Miyamoto
Hideki Kamiya
Yu Suzuki

Good list. I had three of those on my list as well. I would have included Hideki if I'd remembered his name when I wrote my post.

Platinum probably. Years ago, I would have said Intelligent Systems, but they kinda dropped off the map for me shortly after ruined Fire Emblem forever. (I still really liked Awakening though)

If we're talking about a single person, it's Suda 51 though. Even if most of his games aren't actually that great to play.

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-12-23 22:39:13

Definitely Running With Scissors.

New issue of the CHAINGUN ISLAND ZINE every MONTH!

Keep it ECLECTIC!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-12-24 00:27:20

At 10/25/21 01:02 AM, crummylion wrote: Michel Ancel as he's one of the few developers who understood game design and world building. Rayman 2 and Origins are excellent games, but King Kong was also a brilliant game (haven't play Beyond Good and Evil, yet.) I want to wish him a happy retirement, but I'm scared to know if the sexual misconduct allegations are true... Who would have thought a man who fought for creative freedom against his own company would follow their behavior...

@crummylion

That is a good suggestion. I am not sure about the sexual misconduct allegations; but other people can figure it out.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2022-07-07 19:35:43

Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya. Created one of my fav indie games from scratch with very little help

Response to Favorite video game designer 2022-07-08 04:32:56

At 7/7/22 07:35 PM, spacebruhjesus wrote:
Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya. Created one of my fav indie games from scratch with very little help

@spacebruhjesus

Which game that they created was your favorite?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2022-07-14 16:28:06

At 7/8/22 04:32 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
@spacebruhjesus

Cave story. It's short but sweet, and it's free to play on PC

Response to Favorite video game designer 2022-07-15 04:04:03

At 7/14/22 04:28 PM, spacebruhjesus wrote:
At 7/8/22 04:32 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

@spacebruhjesus

Cave story. It's short but sweet, and it's free to play on PC

How many times have you beaten it?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2022-07-15 11:58:13

Nippon Ichi. I wouldn't say his games are my favorites, but they all work the perfect line between serious and silly.

No pods, no casters

[ Content Deleted ]

You're either noobie or you're hacking.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2022-07-16 04:56:45

At 7/15/22 11:58 AM, GenericDungeonSlime wrote: Nippon Ichi. I wouldn't say his games are my favorites, but they all work the perfect line between serious and silly.

@GenericDungeonSlime

If you had to pick one of his games as your favorite, which would you pick?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2022-07-16 04:57:32

At 7/15/22 12:31 PM, borkborkimashork wrote: [ Content Deleted ]

@borkborkimashork

What were you going to say?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2022-07-16 09:23:18

At 7/16/22 04:56 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 7/15/22 11:58 AM, GenericDungeonSlime wrote: Nippon Ichi. I wouldn't say his games are my favorites, but they all work the perfect line between serious and silly.
@GenericDungeonSlime

If you had to pick one of his games as your favorite, which would you pick?

That's honestly pretty hard. I would call it a three way tie between Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, and La Pucelle. Probably Makai Kingdom when it gets right down to it.

No pods, no casters

Response to Favorite video game designer 2022-07-16 11:17:28

At 7/16/22 04:57 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 7/15/22 12:31 PM, borkborkimashork wrote: [ Content Deleted ]
@borkborkimashork

What were you going to say?

SNK but that's a game developing and production company

You're either noobie or you're hacking.

BBS Signature