00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ahmad117 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorite video game designer

5,690 Views | 108 Replies

Response to Favorite video game designer 2016-09-12 13:33:52

At 9/11/16 02:01 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 9/10/16 06:18 AM, GreenSoap wrote: Richard Garriott
You've been morally obliged to slaughter children in several of his games, he's a sick fuck and I love him for it :)
Added to the list.
Which of his games was your favorite?

Probably Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar and UO. Also had super fun with Tabula Rasa when it was up, man that game was sick o:

Response to Favorite video game designer 2016-09-12 13:38:23

At 9/10/16 09:33 PM, kanef wrote: sega
namco
insomniac
rare
id software
clover/platinum

Those are some good companies, but can you pick a designer from each?

earlier stuff from nintendo/konami/capcom is good too

Games from the original NES were excellent.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2016-09-12 13:39:50

At 9/12/16 01:33 PM, GreenSoap wrote: Probably Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar and UO.

Good choice of games.

Also had super fun with Tabula Rasa when it was up, man that game was sick o:

I never had the chance to play it.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-04-23 05:53:49

At 9/3/16 02:55 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Who is your favorite video game developer? They can be race, alive or dead.

Naoto Oshima.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-04-23 20:26:03

I love Keita Takahashi's games, especially the Katamari games he had total control over which are literally the first two games. His new game Wattam was fun af the last time I played it, and cute too.

Your local Newgrounds fanboy and musician.

Bandcamp - Discord: Trit#9469

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-04-24 04:50:35

Daisuke Ishiwatari. Jack of all stats creator of Guilty Gear who wrote the story, drew the characters, voiced one of the characters (Sol Badguy) and, of course, compose the music.

He objectively made some of the best rocking themes for a lot of video game projects he was on.

No Creative Quotes. Here's a bunch of links. DeviantArt | Twitter | Instagram

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-04-29 13:23:58

Hideo Kojima.

That One Man who Trolled the World.

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-04-29 16:12:26

In terms of people whose work I admire, I'd go with Terry Cavanagh, Edmund McMillen, Zach Barth, not necessarily in that order.

Personally speaking, my favorite game designers are my coworkers at Stardock, but that's less to do with their work and more to do with the fact that we're friends :P

Check out the latest game I worked on, Star Control: Origins on Steam!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-04-30 08:24:13

I'd Probably have to vouch for Epic Megagames and Digital Extremes for their Beautiful Unreal and Unreal Tournament games from 98 to 99.

I'd also vouch for Rockstar, Some of Ubisoft, and For sure SCEA.

"My president is Chuck Heston. Here's your rebate ya damn dirty apes!" - Postal Dude (Rick Hunter), Postal 2

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-05-06 03:21:38

At 4/23/21 05:53 AM, 2forter wrote:
At 9/3/16 02:55 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Who is your favorite video game developer? They can be race, alive or dead.
Naoto Oshima.

What is your favorite thing he worked on?

At 4/23/21 08:26 PM, Tritnew1 wrote: I love Keita Takahashi's games, especially the Katamari games he had total control over which are literally the first two games. His new game Wattam was fun af the last time I played it, and cute too.

Great choice, and good use of examples.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-05-06 07:22:12

At 5/6/21 03:21 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 4/23/21 05:53 AM, 2forter wrote:
Naoto Oshima.
What is your favorite thing he worked on?

At 4/23/21 08:26 PM, Tritnew1 wrote: I love Keita Takahashi's games, especially the Katamari games he had total control over which are literally the first two games. His new game Wattam was fun af the last time I played it, and cute too.
Great choice, and good use of examples.

Favorite thing he worked on? The sonic designs, for sure.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-05-06 23:07:45

Edmund Mcmillen

Edit: Thanks for the gold kind stranger!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-05-07 18:15:59

Not someone who's games I've regularly consumed but Hideki Kamiya as a director has such a good mentality towards his games, insisting they should focus on short and challenging runs that capture the essence of the arcade games he group playing, rather than cramming in unneeded mechanics and gameplay that only exist to pad the game out or trying to make games seem more like interactive films like a lot of game designers do today. The one time he stepped out of that mentality was for Okami, which was about 40 - 60 hours long, but had sprinkles of that arcade-y feel in places and was a genuinely welcome change of form for his usual games, being a fun and charming story that never got dull, and still had great gameplay too.

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-05-11 18:05:25

At 4/24/21 04:50 AM, BigK1337 wrote: Daisuke Ishiwatari. Jack of all stats creator of Guilty Gear who wrote the story, drew the characters, voiced one of the characters (Sol Badguy) and, of course, compose the music.

He must of been one very busy guy.

He objectively made some of the best rocking themes for a lot of video game projects he was on.

Very cool to know.

At 4/29/21 01:23 PM, PsyCalibur wrote: Hideo Kojima.
That One Man who Trolled the World.

Explain it better, @PsyCalibur

At 4/29/21 04:12 PM, Prestophobia wrote: In terms of people whose work I admire, I'd go with Terry Cavanagh, Edmund McMillen, Zach Barth, not necessarily in that order.

Some very interesting picks.

Personally speaking, my favorite game designers are my coworkers at Stardock, but that's less to do with their work and more to do with the fact that we're friends :P

That is more on a friendly basis, but I will allow it.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-05-17 04:47:53

At 4/30/21 08:24 AM, JaylinZonarel wrote: I'd Probably have to vouch for Epic Megagames and Digital Extremes for their Beautiful Unreal and Unreal Tournament games from 98 to 99.

Lots of good choices, but which one would be your top pick? @JaylinZonarel

At 5/6/21 07:22 AM, 2forter wrote:
At 5/6/21 03:21 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Great choice, and good use of examples.
Favorite thing he worked on? The sonic designs, for sure.

I will have to add that one.

At 5/6/21 11:07 PM, zebragamer880 wrote: Edmund Mcmillen

@zebragamer880 Why did you pick him?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-05-17 09:09:29

At 5/17/21 04:47 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 4/30/21 08:24 AM, JaylinZonarel wrote: I'd Probably have to vouch for Epic Megagames and Digital Extremes for their Beautiful Unreal and Unreal Tournament games from 98 to 99.

I would say Epic Games, cause Unreal is probably hands-down one of the best retro FPS games, it still holds up even in 2021. Plus if you have $10 on steam, you can get Unreal, or even get it for free, If offered. (That's how my brother and another friend got it lol) it's also got Mod support (through OldUnreal) so you can play online again, cause last time I checked, GameSpy is dead.

But yeah, if you have around $20, Unreal and Unreal Tournament (since they're pretty much the same thing) are worth every last cent.

"My president is Chuck Heston. Here's your rebate ya damn dirty apes!" - Postal Dude (Rick Hunter), Postal 2

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-05-23 04:42:28

At 5/7/21 06:15 PM, Dingalow wrote:
Not someone who's games I've regularly consumed but Hideki Kamiya as a director has such a good mentality towards his games, insisting they should focus on short and challenging runs that capture the essence of the arcade games he group playing, rather than cramming in unneeded mechanics and gameplay that only exist to pad the game out or trying to make games seem more like interactive films The one time he stepped out of that mentality was for Okami, which was about 40 - 60 hours long, but had sprinkles of that arcade-y feel in places and was a genuinely welcome change of form for his usual games, being a fun and charming story that never got dull, and still had great gameplay too.

@Dingalow I will add him to the list.

At 5/17/21 09:09 AM, JaylinZonarel wrote:
At 5/17/21 04:47 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
I would say Epic Games, cause Unreal is probably hands-down one of the best retro FPS games, it still holds up even in 2021. Plus if you have $10 on steam, you can get Unreal, or even get it for free, If offered. (That's how my brother and another friend got it lol) it's also got Mod support (through OldUnreal) so you can play online again, cause last time I checked, GameSpy is dead.
But yeah, if you have around $20, Unreal and Unreal Tournament (since they're pretty much the same thing) are worth every last cent.

@JaylinZonarel Epic Games is now on this list. Unreal was a really fun game back in the day.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-06-14 05:13:40

Still looking for more video game designers to complete the list.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-06-20 05:21:24

At 6/14/21 07:10 PM, Poseidon00 wrote: Nippon Ichi is definitely up there. Solid rpgs that don't take themselves too seriously and I find the riffs and parodies of anime cliches pretty funny. Nobody remembers La Pucelle but it is their best title.

any other games you recommend?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-06-24 04:01:42

At 6/20/21 05:21 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 6/14/21 07:10 PM, Poseidon00 wrote: Nippon Ichi is definitely up there. Solid rpgs that don't take themselves too seriously and I find the riffs and parodies of anime cliches pretty funny. Nobody remembers La Pucelle but it is their best title.

any other games you recommend? @Poseidon00

The list is going okay so far, but i can always use more.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-06-29 03:33:01

At 6/24/21 10:49 AM, Poseidon00 wrote:
At 6/24/21 04:01 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 6/20/21 05:21 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

any other games you recommend? @Poseidon00

The list is going okay so far, but i can always use more.
RPGs: Makai Kingdom. Star Ocean Second Story, Till the End of Time, and the original. Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together, Might and Magic 6-8

Non RPGs: Injustice 2, MK11, Dissidia NT/012/original, Subnautica

That is nice selection of games. It would take a long time to try and defeat them all.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-07-06 02:28:12

It seems like the most of the best video games designers come from Japan. Can anybody recommend any that are not from there?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-07-15 02:32:57

Shigeru Miyamoto (Nintendo) created Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Pikmin, amd even more.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-07-15 02:52:21

maddy thorson, they worked on celeste, which is an incredibly well designed game with some of the most satisfying and tight platforming ive ever played. They’re making and theyre making a new game too called earthblade.

If you are seeing this signature go play celeste and monkey ball deluxe.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-07-18 04:00:41

At 7/15/21 02:52 AM, Lafio13 wrote:
maddy thorson, they worked on celeste, which is an incredibly well designed game with some of the most satisfying and tight platforming ive ever played. They’re making and theyre making a new game too called earthblade.

@Lafio13 What was your favorite part of celeste?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-07-19 01:11:05

American Mcgee because he has a funny name

Me looking at your horrible post

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-07-22 23:05:41

At 7/18/21 04:00 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 7/15/21 02:52 AM, Lafio13 wrote:
@Lafio13 What was your favorite part of celeste?

Story and game design, the story is really touching and the game design is so smartly designed it never feels impossible, i just feel like i need to give it a few more tries and ill beat the section.

If you are seeing this signature go play celeste and monkey ball deluxe.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-08-01 15:25:05

Daisuke Amaya. He singlehandedly created Cave Story. Everything from the graphics and music, to the spritework and the software used to create the music, were all created by him, over the course of 5 years. When he was done, he distributed it online for free, just because he wanted to share his game with as many people as he could.

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-08-12 16:52:58

miyamoto

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite video game designer 2021-08-21 00:56:22

At 7/19/21 01:11 AM, Thinglet wrote: American Mcgee because he has a funny name

@Thinglet Is that the only reason? lol

BBS Signature