00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hirimi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Web Animation & Monetization

28,915 Views | 129 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 10:49:37

At 9/1/16 09:23 PM, AmazinLarry wrote: I think this is a perfect time for me to get more involved in the Newgrounds community. I've been meaning to for a while actually.

Also, I was listening to the NG Radio earlier while working, great addition Tom! It's these kinda features that will always make this my preferred site for art.

Thank @BrenTheMan for NG Radio! It's been a great addition, expect it to get a more prominent link when the Audio Portal hub crosses over to the new layout.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 10:52:15

At 9/1/16 09:22 PM, SuperPhil64 wrote: Also any chance we may see different tiers of subscriptions? Like a 20, 30 or 50$ a year tier model.

You can currently pay what you want, so someone can choose to pay $20. The question is if we would ever visually represent that tier... A big initial goal of the supporter system was to avoid creating too much of a feeling of different classes on NG, so that's part of the slippery slope... If growth stalls out at some point we'll have to reconsider all the possibilities to drive growth.

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 11:00:04

At 9/1/16 07:55 PM, evanarmagast wrote: does your relationship with Google also effect search results, do you think? because i feel like not showing up in search results when you should would have a huge impact on potential traffic. it's kind of sickening, really, to think one company blacklisting you, for whatever made up reason, could have such a long lasting impact.

I don't feel like we're being punished in search but there are tons of cases where we should be ranked higher. Google claims their algorithm will rank the "original" source of content higher but they totally ignore that in cases where there is a Youtube version. We can sponsor an animation and release two weeks ahead of YouTube but as soon as that YouTube version hits, it becomes #1 in the results. Every site is impacted by that, though, not just NG.

Gary only every uploaded Numa Numa on NG, for example:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS433US433&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=numa%20numa%20dance

That first result is a stolen YouTube upload. I'm just happy that we're above some other sites that had previously SEO'ed their way above us.

#CHANGETHEBEES was sponsored by NG and released ahead of YouTube:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS433US433&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&q=%23changethebees

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 11:02:21

At 9/2/16 09:12 AM, Inchisano wrote: I already became a supporter in April, but once I have steady employment, I'll throw more money into NG. Maybe I should put playing the PA lottery into my weekly budget. You never know!

EDIT: I just took a look at the mobile design. It's kinda nice, but are you going to put this design across the entire site for mobile users? Especially the movie portal, it just doesn't look right on mobile. I also would like to be able to make a news post from mobile, I hope this is possible, soon.

The mobile design will creep its way across the entire site in the coming months.

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 11:04:13

At 9/2/16 10:48 AM, Radaketor wrote:
At 9/1/16 03:58 PM, TomFulp wrote: HOWEVER, if you come here expecting big bucks with web animation, you'll have to manage your expectations.
Unless it has changed since last time it was mentioned, you could make it known that Newgrounds has better deals per click and view than Youtube. At least that's what I seem to remember you mentioning in an animation panel some time ago. I dunno some people might not get drawn to it but others likely would, the really small and unknown animators might appreciate it.

We were getting some great CPMs on video ads for a while there but the fill rate was low and Google services seemed to creep into their path over time.

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 11:18:09

I've been getting some work revolving html ads done in Flash, which is making me believe that in time I can rely solely on freelance work including all kinds of art and design gigs, and all the skills I'm using come basically from looking at NG content and trying to learn how to do the same, many times watching tutorials here.

I'll always be grateful, even though I'm not either creatig that much personal/orignal content that I would post here, and I gotta start looking into how much I can contribute as a supporter, I wanna make sure I can get the money for a yearly subscription soon.

Thank you Tom, wish you were the president or something

At 9/2/16 10:47 AM, TomFulp wrote: When it comes to enabling monetization, advertisers have the freedom to not spend their money sponsoring content that may upset their customers.

While giving up the "freedom" to upload content that can be controversial not for the sake of being "edgy", but say- for the sake of information, for instance? Let's say I run a news channel, and I talk about topics like- I don't know, legalizing drugs, ISIS beheadings and violence, riots all over the world, civil wars, you know, "sensitive" stuff that normal mainstream media won't likely talk about. Based on the new policies, it seems to me like I can't monetize on such videos (unless I bribe my way to victory) because literally anything can be deemed controversial, thus family unfriendly, thus no ads, thus no monetizing. I mean, they're basically saying "Look, you can make money out of your videos only if you upload content that in our vague opinion isn't controversial."

*cue the tsunami of broken AI copyright claims*

What could work for YouTube would be a second tier of advertising. They could sell nervous brand advertisers their top tier, "safe" content and give other advertisers the option to spend less money on the second tier, content that isn't rated mature but may be unsafe in other ways. Maybe MTV would be totally happy to promote their new TV line-up for less money on the less safe tier, for example.

This is why I haven't rushed to demonize YouTube for the changes, since they were essentially getting away with something that other sites can't get away with if they want to run Google ads. YouTube is catching up to the reality of the ad market.

I want to create a new reality that isn't dependent on the ad market. I think it's achievable which is why I can't stop obsessing on it.

In a nutshell, capitalism. Google has simply made a corporate move based on the current market trends in order to raise their own profits from the ad market, and couldn't give a single damn about their own content and userbase. Youtube is destined to decline if they keep pushing their one-sided agenda like they're doing, and soon follow in MySpace's footsteps, a.k.a. oblivion. Look, I'm no analyst or economic pundit here, I'm just saying that what they're doing risks of undermining their own userbase by further limiting their freedom of expression if they want to make some money out of their own service. Not that it wasn't limiting before but it wasn't as suffocating either. It's a dangerous precedent.

Luckily, Newgrounds isn't on their same page and I'm glad to know it will continue to stay independent from such BS.

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 11:32:52

OK, so I *really* don't have a head for all the technical stuff or the ad stuff, but I did have a couple of thoughts. Maybe they're helpful? :)

One thought is, I've seen several posts saying people just aren't in a position financially to contribute with $$$. This describes me, too, actually. Is there any system in place to be a "community service" supporter, or volunteer for the site in any way? I know full well *some* things just can't avoid costing money, but if there was anything members could contribute their time and skills, instead of/in addition to money to support the site? Maybe?

The second thing was what you, Tom Fulp, mentioned about wanting to have ads that would be of interest to the visitors. So I had a brainstorm: could you sell ad space to members DIRECTLY? So that you display ads on this site for video games, animations, or even services (animation, voice over, programming, etc) that are being created right here? It obviously couldn't be a *sole* source of income, but maybe it could help out some? Like, donate $50 or $100 or $500 and run the ad for X amount of time with a link to the project or service? That would keep it from being an "access to premium content" thing, while still incentivizing higher tier donations AND bringing attention to indie pursuits -- seems like a win-win to me, but like I said, I don't understand half of the conversation about ads and all that. ^_^

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 12:02:47

At 9/2/16 09:34 AM, TomFulp wrote: Not sure if the third one is fine as long as the ads are on appropriate content... However user generated content in general doesn't seem to be their market.

It's a narrow path to be sure, but if you can address those things off the top, it might be worth a shot, maybe even get a good referral elsewhere (now that's a longshot)?

Pretty cringeworthy to market NG ad-space yourself, I'd imagine. But how many websites are still kicking (and with cumulative content) after 20 years, surely that must mean something to someone with a heart, and an eye towards a better future. How cool would it be to see floormat ads from someone (thanks Supreme Court, I can call big businesses by a singular pronoun, and not seem like a headcase) like http://www.weathertech.com/ on Newgrounds? How the hell does Fark and Vice stay alive, I hardly ever see any ads there...

But getting back to my first point: exploitation; pandering. Reserve some prize and sponsorship money for content that can be weaponized. We're fighting companies that are too big to fail, too big to be inclusive of the people they claim to represent... otherwise, pass me some of dat drank that Socrates ended with

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 12:26:34

At 9/2/16 11:32 AM, rebekahamberclark wrote: One thought is, I've seen several posts saying people just aren't in a position financially to contribute with $$$. This describes me, too, actually. Is there any system in place to be a "community service" supporter, or volunteer for the site in any way? I know full well *some* things just can't avoid costing money, but if there was anything members could contribute their time and skills, instead of/in addition to money to support the site? Maybe?

Vote on incoming content, review content that could use your point of view, keep an eye out for inappropriate content and reviews. Could help generate thumbnails for old movies/games that are here. Just getting the word out, by sending Newgrounds links of content you like, to people who would enjoy it. Community is strength, and keeps all the content properly vetted... if it wasn't, I'm sure NG would've been sunk by lawsuits by now!

The second thing was what you, Tom Fulp, mentioned about wanting to have ads that would be of interest to the visitors. So I had a brainstorm: could you sell ad space to members DIRECTLY? So that you display ads on this site for video games, animations, or even services (animation, voice over, programming, etc) that are being created right here?

I suggested the same, but wonder if it's worth the (legal, tax) headache to do it. I'd imagine Tom would have to set up a page with prices and placement options, and have a shitload of legal text below it, just to avoid trouble down the line. I like the idea of NG content producers taking the leap to come up with jpg's and gif's for sponsors, but there's only so much handholding and micro managing, one person with a family can do in a day.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 12:47:20

I suggested the same, but wonder if it's worth the (legal, tax) headache to do it. I'd imagine Tom would have to set up a page with prices and placement options, and have a shitload of legal text below it, just to avoid trouble down the line. I like the idea of NG content producers taking the leap to come up with jpg's and gif's for sponsors, but there's only so much handholding and micro managing, one person with a family can do in a day.

O_O Good grief, I had no idea that much would be involved... I was envisioning something so much less formal, like Patreon or Kickstarter tier rewards... -_-'

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 13:04:45

@TomFulp Probably an invasive question, but I know you put a lot of effort into Behemoth games in the past. Hell, you probably still do work for them regularly for Pit People. The games they create have been pretty successful, largely due to the influence of NG.

Do the powers that be at Behemoth monetarily support NG in return? Not just yourself, but like a percentage of Behemoth revenue in general.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 13:22:04

Bought my first supporter upgrade a couple of days ago now. This place has been very good to me over the years and my games have done very well here, it's the least I could do to start giving back.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 13:34:22

This is true about Youtube deleting content for whatever reason, I do have a Youtube account and I re-frame from using their ads revenue on my movies because I hear they are pretty strict about the type of contents you upload. And there are times I'll still see a message under my playlist stating that one of my videos have been removed by Youtube with no warning or letting me know why or which video was removed, thank god it wasn't any of my major videos that I had on there for years.
Youtube is really starting to become a real pain in the ass Tom!
Thanks to you, Newgrounds is the best place for us artists and holds no boundary.
Long live Newgrounds.

Web Animation & Monetization

Check out my work at MysticSkillz

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 13:40:13

Youtube sucks for gaining increased exposure to my animation.

Most of my views on Youtube came from Newgrounds.

I've gotten way more exposure from posting to Newgrounds.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 13:47:45

Newgrounds has always meant a lot to me. It's where I got to submit my most horrible ideas if form of crude animations. Hell, they even gave me a tablet for christmas once. The least I could do is contribute some dosh every month.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 13:52:21

Been a very long time user of newgrounds (since the assassin series of games). It was sad to see tons of people flee to YouTube becuase people were simply stealing their videos and uploading them there. I feel like much the same is happening between YouTube and Facebook now. Hopefully the great animators and content creators will remember newgrounds is the best place for their stuff. If the site can get an influx of new people things may pick up greatly here. I commend you guys' tenacity throughout the years to improve the site as much as possible.

As far as the whole "more mobile friendly" aspect it may not help much. As I understand it, if a mobile user watches your ad on YouTube it basically doesn't count it, nor the view.

Heres to hoping newgrounds has a meteoric rise back to the top of the nets. God knows yous guys deserve for all the hard work over the years.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 14:18:31

At 9/2/16 01:04 PM, FrozenFire wrote: @TomFulp Probably an invasive question, but I know you put a lot of effort into Behemoth games in the past. Hell, you probably still do work for them regularly for Pit People. The games they create have been pretty successful, largely due to the influence of NG.

Do the powers that be at Behemoth monetarily support NG in return? Not just yourself, but like a percentage of Behemoth revenue in general.

I'm not actually working on Pit People, I've been working on a not-officially-announced project with @JohnnyUtah, @Spazkid and @Oney that is expected to be released by NG (console / Steam) with support from the Behemoth, similar to Gold Egg Project games.

NG and myself don't get a percentage of Behemoth earnings but I've done well overall as a result of Behemoth's success and that has helped a ton during the rough years for NG. I just need to be sure NG can take care of itself long-term.

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 14:21:31

At 9/2/16 01:52 PM, Blz08 wrote: Been a very long time user of newgrounds (since the assassin series of games). It was sad to see tons of people flee to YouTube becuase people were simply stealing their videos and uploading them there. I feel like much the same is happening between YouTube and Facebook now. Hopefully the great animators and content creators will remember newgrounds is the best place for their stuff. If the site can get an influx of new people things may pick up greatly here. I commend you guys' tenacity throughout the years to improve the site as much as possible.

Thanks! And yeah, I've been noticing that between YouTube and Facebook too, it's a total repeat of how YouTube got so big in the first place - just have all the video no matter who owns it and clean your act up once you've won.

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 16:53:23

At 9/2/16 09:09 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/2/16 08:06 AM, MindChamber wrote:
Click a song thumbnail to launch the song in page, it will auto-play the list from there.

This will work in your main feed too, so you can listen to all the music while you browse stuff!

That's pretty damn handy! And a great start!

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 17:31:13

i love how committed you are even after 21 years

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 18:01:22

great post, tom, you are a great person, and this site has given me many years of joy, happiness and inspiration, while i always loved this vibrant artistic community, this HUGE family that i call ''newgrounds''.
its honestly one of the friendliest sites in the whole internet, and i love it, its been an important artistic part of my life, and i feel that many people in here are feeling the same.

with that being said, i occasionally advertise newgrounds on my facebook/twitter posts, and i often talk to my friends about NG (both irl friends, and online-friends), and i was famous, i would seriously advertise NG to a greatest audience, and i would even be a major sponsor, if needed.

sadly, i dont have alot of money now, and i will have to wait for a while before i can support NG with my money, but for the time being, i am STILL trying to spread the word outside for NG.
NG is a great place, and its worth fighting for.
i agree with BOTH parts!

PS: i might have ''officially'' joined this place on 2006, but im lurking it since 2002-03, back when xiao-xiao, beebo the cat, assasin games and stickslayer were relevant things.
(one of the first games that i played on NG was pico's rock paper scissor roullette, so imagine that!)
good times, good times indeed.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 19:11:21

This might be a somewhat controversial idea, but what if you guys had content that was available only to supporters? Kind of like going the Netflix route for short animations and games. You could even have it where new items will be released site-wide after a few months.

Whenever you release something new, you could post a teaser, like, "The new Blockhead was released today for supporters! Everyone else has to wait 2 months to see it, neah!" Lol.

I guess it depends on what kind of money you have available to sponsor things. I know you guys have always avoided venture capital, and that's probably a good idea.

IDK, NG has had up and down periods through the years. I think the last up period was riding the online gaming bubble, so when that popped things naturally slowed down again. NG has always been about a lot more than just casual games, though, so you guys can stay relevant even when the fads come and go.

I think one of the nice things about having tides of popularity is that a new generation can come on here and actually get some visibility. Some dumb 13 year old making stick fighting cartoons would have been mostly ignored on here six years ago. Now he can get a little notoriety and will feel like he can take that somewhere. That was kind of the great thing about NG back when.

BBS Signature

As long as most of the original content creators, Staff, and forum posters who have been here since NG's haydays live. This will always be the #1 place on the internet for animation, art, and cartoons. And as society evolves I hope we can also someday be a paradise for controversial content as well, but you do what you've gotta do to appease the SJWs of the modern era.

Master of questionable life choices

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 20:06:34

Thank you Tom and NG for being our black knight and people's champion, during these times of uncertainty.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 20:33:16

DONT GIVE UP bro. This site is the birthplace for lives that have meaning, and meaning for lives. The inspiration here, if spread enough, or used properly, could outweigh the importance people give money and make a turn around. There will be a day when depth overcomes shallowness

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 22:05:32

I have been wanting to be a supporter for a while but...I just dont have the money right now but as soon as I can I am gona buy it. :)

Everything Bubz

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 22:15:25

Too much nostalgia for this place for it to not be at its best I hope for the best

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-02 22:26:40

@tomfulp Yeah thinking that my future animations will need to be released on Newgrounds at least a week before Youtube.

This has been slowing becoming a big problem, so glad you're bringing some light to it.

-Charlie

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 00:00:34

I love Newgrounds and the incredibly talented artists here. I love supporting the site.

I know I'm going to sound like I'm dumping on those that don't have a lot of money and I don't mean to. But is $3 a month really hard for people to stretch? I know how it is - being a broke student sucks and having a mortgage, car payments and having kids suck your paycheck away isn't exactly thrilling either (but at least feels meaningful). I get that, I really do. It's just kind of weird reading people post stuff like, "I love this site so much! But $3? Nah." Ok...so how much is this site worth to you? Again, I don't want to make anyone feel bad for not having any money. If it's between a month of NG support and buying some food or paying rent, I think the choice is clear.

So, Tom, is there a minimum that people could go below $3/month? What about $1? Is there a possibility that some could be persuaded with a single dollar a month?