00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted GeoTheCAt supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Web Animation & Monetization

28,890 Views | 129 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 00:30:49

At 9/3/16 12:00 AM, KyleRoberts wrote: I love Newgrounds and the incredibly talented artists here. I love supporting the site.

I know I'm going to sound like I'm dumping on those that don't have a lot of money and I don't mean to. But is $3 a month really hard for people to stretch? I know how it is - being a broke student sucks and having a mortgage, car payments and having kids suck your paycheck away isn't exactly thrilling either (but at least feels meaningful). I get that, I really do. It's just kind of weird reading people post stuff like, "I love this site so much! But $3? Nah." Ok...so how much is this site worth to you? Again, I don't want to make anyone feel bad for not having any money. If it's between a month of NG support and buying some food or paying rent, I think the choice is clear.

So, Tom, is there a minimum that people could go below $3/month? What about $1? Is there a possibility that some could be persuaded with a single dollar a month?

I hate to say it, but this is really an area of thin ice... In today's world of free hotspots and public library computers, almost EVERYONE has access to the internet, regardless of income. Yes, for some people, that $3 means a gallon of milk for their kids. I'm not trying to dump on *you*, I'm just trying to answer the question you brought up.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 01:12:16

At 9/3/16 12:30 AM, rebekahamberclark wrote:
At 9/3/16 12:00 AM, KyleRoberts wrote: I love Newgrounds and the incredibly talented artists here. I love supporting the site.

I know I'm going to sound like I'm dumping on those that don't have a lot of money and I don't mean to. But is $3 a month really hard for people to stretch? I know how it is - being a broke student sucks and having a mortgage, car payments and having kids suck your paycheck away isn't exactly thrilling either (but at least feels meaningful). I get that, I really do. It's just kind of weird reading people post stuff like, "I love this site so much! But $3? Nah." Ok...so how much is this site worth to you? Again, I don't want to make anyone feel bad for not having any money. If it's between a month of NG support and buying some food or paying rent, I think the choice is clear.

So, Tom, is there a minimum that people could go below $3/month? What about $1? Is there a possibility that some could be persuaded with a single dollar a month?
I hate to say it, but this is really an area of thin ice... In today's world of free hotspots and public library computers, almost EVERYONE has access to the internet, regardless of income. Yes, for some people, that $3 means a gallon of milk for their kids. I'm not trying to dump on *you*, I'm just trying to answer the question you brought up.

Yes, I said that already. If the choice is between food and NG, I think the choice is clear. And if money is a sensitive issue, it's cool, you don't have money right now, do your thing.

I've loved coming to NG for over 13 years. I'm not sure I can say that about any other site. For a good part of that, I worked at a rich media vendor - helping people make Flash ads that would have hundreds of thousands of impressions, millions if we were lucky. These clients all thought their little ads for their little campaigns were so damn urgent and important. So much money was thrown at making these ads. All so disposable. I finally had to get out of working there because clients just wanted to make the cheapest of the cheap ads and run a gazillion of them.
And I look at a great place like NG who isn't sustaining itself on ad revenue alone because the payout is minimal and ad vendor giants are locking them out of ad networks. So NG reaches out to the users and says, "hey, let's do this together, throw in a couple of bucks" and people are piping up going "awesome! but NOT ME, I can't"....it just bums me out. Sorry, not trying to be negative.

You know how some games make you watch an ad and give you a reward for doing so? I wish there was a way to do that here. Like I could sit down anytime I wanted, go to NG and watch a few ads - even interact with them if I needed to - and see how much pocket change I could ring up in ad revenue for the site. I could see a little balance in my account details that ticks up slowly. I'm sure there are ways such a thing could be abused for fraudulent metrics...I just wish I knew a way to do more...

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 02:30:40

Tommy, ol' boy, I will always be a supporter of this lovely place. Renewing my Supporter status every year and always post the at least decent things I create. I've even introduced/re-introduced NG to a few people in the recent past, and will only continue to do so. Especially parading my NG t-shirt around my new university campus.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 03:52:25

I think that a lot of folks will grow tired of the "Trillion Dollar Monster"... I would recommend reaching out to YT artists directly and encouraging them to come over.

I've been wanting to build a platform (for years) to help sites like NG get the ad money that they deserve... maybe it is time to do so.

Robo Rick's Magical Carpet Ride

I don't understand that people would be hesitant to submit here on the basis they can earn more money/views on youtube. I think newgrounds is the most passionate animation community on the web. The average youtube subscriber just doesn't compare. It's the passionate audience that tells their friends about your work, submits your stuff to reddit, pays for your patreon. Youtube ad revenue can end with a change in their terms. A dedicated audience will stick by you, and I still think this is the best place for that.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 08:21:54

At 9/3/16 03:56 AM, JamesLee wrote: I don't understand that people would be hesitant to submit here on the basis they can earn more money/views on youtube. I think newgrounds is the most passionate animation community on the web. The average youtube subscriber just doesn't compare. It's the passionate audience that tells their friends about your work, submits your stuff to reddit, pays for your patreon. Youtube ad revenue can end with a change in their terms. A dedicated audience will stick by you, and I still think this is the best place for that.

Amen. Plus, people shouldn't focus on one site. Everyone could benefit if they ALSO submit it to NG rather than YT exclusively.

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 08:33:45

At 9/2/16 07:11 PM, Kajenx wrote: This might be a somewhat controversial idea, but what if you guys had content that was available only to supporters? Kind of like going the Netflix route for short animations and games. You could even have it where new items will be released site-wide after a few months.

Whenever you release something new, you could post a teaser, like, "The new Blockhead was released today for supporters! Everyone else has to wait 2 months to see it, neah!" Lol.

We've tried this with a few things, most notably Phoenotopia, which was available to supporters for two weeks before launch. Current a preview can be set to be available to supporters but I'd like some sort of new publishing tier where supporters can even vote on and review something that hasn't been released to the public. It would be worth building if we ever got back to weekly sponsored releases.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 14:27:01

At 9/3/16 03:56 AM, JamesLee wrote: I don't understand that people would be hesitant to submit here on the basis they can earn more money/views on youtube.

If nobody watches your movies on either Newgrounds or Youtube.

Uploading to Newgrounds is the better option.

Movies under judgement get guaranteed exposure not offered by Youtube.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 14:55:56

This is kind of tangential to the whole discussion, but...

At 9/1/16 03:58 PM, TomFulp wrote: A majority of internet advertising companies tie into some sort of Google / DC service and when that happens, it becomes a dead end for Newgrounds. An ad company will approve us but their ads will show up blank; they'll dig around and say "Oh, it's Google."

Does that mean most internet ad companies are just wrappers around Google services? Entire companies just providing access to Google services? What a ripoff!

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 15:49:42

It's totally understandable, don't sweat it!

One day it shall happen lol

Happy Coding

- Xploit

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 17:46:39

well, i think its since the preroll things were implemented that flashes dont appear on internet explorer and older browsers.
that might be a reason to use ad blockers, even though it doesnt solve it.

if anyone cares, the reason why flashes dont appear is because of the console.log-ing in the javascript.
the console object is not automatically defined in explorer and older browsers, so every script under the console.log("reduction = "+26); line wont execute...

um, so...
if its not too much of a burden, defining the console object if it doesnt exist, before console.log-ing, by putting this in the <head> for example:

if(typeof console === "undefined") {
    console = {
        log: function() { },
    };
}

would make everything work on basically every browser....

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 18:57:02

At 9/3/16 08:33 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/2/16 07:11 PM, Kajenx wrote: This might be a somewhat controversial idea, but what if you guys had content that was available only to supporters? Kind of like going the Netflix route for short animations and games. You could even have it where new items will be released site-wide after a few months.

Whenever you release something new, you could post a teaser, like, "The new Blockhead was released today for supporters! Everyone else has to wait 2 months to see it, neah!" Lol.
We've tried this with a few things, most notably Phoenotopia,

I still play that and haven't beaten it. I wish there were more games like that. Excellent gameplay and story for a browser game. And gamepad support? That is incredible. I can't believe I still play it after 2 years. Is there going to be a sequel? Why didn't this game go viral. Can we just talk about how underrated Phoenotopia is?

Oh yeah and youtube is gay, just wait till I get famous Tom, Ill have everyone come back to Newgrounds, the servers will crash. Is Jazza still promoting Newgrounds? I hope he is.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 20:27:55

At 9/3/16 06:57 PM, Soupcat wrote: I still play that and haven't beaten it. I wish there were more games like that. Excellent gameplay and story for a browser game. And gamepad support? That is incredible. I can't believe I still play it after 2 years. Is there going to be a sequel? Why didn't this game go viral. Can we just talk about how underrated Phoenotopia is?

This has been a major frustration of recent years, nothing seems to go viral anymore. I nudged Phoenotopia at all sorts of gaming press and none of them covered it. If something wasn't on Steam or console, there didn't seem to be any interest anymore, it wasn't a "hip scene."

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

What we would like from everyone who appreciates web entertainment.

If you enjoy coming to NG for original animation, games, art and music, please consider committing $3 per month to become a Supporter. We need every person possible. If 1% of our monthly visitors were monthly supporters, we'd have a warchest of over $250,000 per month, mostly going towards sponsorships and revenue share. That would bring SERIOUS CHANGE to web entertainment. Much less than that would still move mountains around here.

I really think that if you want more people to get on board as a Supporter, you should make a system more like Patreon where you have tiers and depending on how much you donate in a month, you have a certain number of perks. Yes, $1 is less money from one person, but like Patreon that amount appeals to more people in some cases.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 21:50:32

At 9/3/16 08:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: This has been a major frustration of recent years, nothing seems to go viral anymore. I nudged Phoenotopia at all sorts of gaming press and none of them covered it. If something wasn't on Steam or console, there didn't seem to be any interest anymore, it wasn't a "hip scene."

Yeah, that was my experience with flash games probably starting 2012. Things stopped spreading, and there were no big sponsorships anymore. After three games with less and less interest I ran out of savings and had to get a "real" job, haha. We had a good run, though. The flash bubble paid for my college, so I'm not too angry. I was at the time, but I think that was mostly stress.

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-03 23:55:53

At 9/1/16 03:58 PM, TomFulp wrote: This is why we created the Supporter upgrade

Hmm...all outta cash.

I need to earn some more money but my printer's all outta ink.

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-04 08:49:45

I like how ironic this whole situation is: First google blacklists ads on Newgrounds because of content that's supposedly inappropriate, and now they find themselves having that very same problem with youtube. Hopefully google is forced to make some changes in the conditions for their google ads. I am hopeful this could somehow affect blacklisted websites to run google ads again. Newgrounds in particular ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-04 11:08:24

At 9/3/16 08:27 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/3/16 06:57 PM, Soupcat wrote: I still play that and haven't beaten it. I wish there were more games like that. Excellent gameplay and story for a browser game. And gamepad support? That is incredible. I can't believe I still play it after 2 years. Is there going to be a sequel? Why didn't this game go viral. Can we just talk about how underrated Phoenotopia is?
This has been a major frustration of recent years, nothing seems to go viral anymore. I nudged Phoenotopia at all sorts of gaming press and none of them covered it. If something wasn't on Steam or console, there didn't seem to be any interest anymore, it wasn't a "hip scene."

Stop depressing me Tom. Seeing this game http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/680355 with not even 20k views is already depressing enough.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-04 11:11:47

At 9/4/16 08:49 AM, Whirlguy wrote: I like how ironic this whole situation is: First google blacklists ads on Newgrounds because of content that's supposedly inappropriate, and now they find themselves having that very same problem with youtube. Hopefully google is forced to make some changes in the conditions for their google ads. I am hopeful this could somehow affect blacklisted websites to run google ads again. Newgrounds in particular ;)

It's funny how everyone needs to comply to these ad company their standards, but they don't understand that maybe they could reach way more audiences if their ads were just a little bit more edgy.
Are these ad companies really so out of touch with reality? No, it is the consumers that are wrong. Image related.

Web Animation & Monetization

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-04 12:50:37

Full disclosure: I haven't become a supporter yet because I actively click ads on the site. Ones that seem interesting and relevant and such, but if being a supporter would actually be more beneficial then I'll do that. Just let me know @TomFulp. ... let me know! Also, I think this should be on the front page because it rawks

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-04 15:27:32

Newgrounds - Run by people, not algorithms.

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-04 17:58:26

We should make NG the new YouTube but without all the unfairness for the creators of the content.

In order to do that, I think that there needs to be a way to soften relations between advertisement partners and NG. Google acquiring DoubleClick really caused NG to lose a ton of revenue, all for the reason that Google wanted only "ad safe" partners to use their service.

This is ridiculous. This kind of stuff causes many sites (that don't provide "ad safe content") to end up relying on advertisements that have a chance of spamming malware all over the place in order to create a profit.

There are a lot of things that NG is competing with. It is one of the biggest sources of online games, has a movies section (which is competing with YouTube) and it has sections for music (soundcloud) and art (deviantart).

Considering how well known NG is, it isn't going to grow as long as content creators aren't getting enough money for their efforts.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-05 00:18:01

Well Said :)

BBS Signature

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-05 00:29:30

thank you for the update
i make some animations on NG but have never monetarised them
im just practicing
but do you think it would help if i do?

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-05 01:19:35

At 9/1/16 04:14 PM, OmarShehata wrote: It's kind of crazy to think that Newgrounds has been alive for just as long as I have. I love that you're fighting for a sustainable future for creators. Don't give up!

Yea wow im 21 this October lol

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-05 13:40:48

What if we would stop worrying about ad profits and focus on bringing back newgrounds online store.

Community would make art, and best ones would be printed on tshirts and hoodies and artist gets some profit, but
mainly newgrounds gets money from printing and sending em out.

People might be more willing to support newgrounds when receive something in return.

Just a small idea, but I think there should be some better way.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-05 14:32:40

At 9/5/16 01:40 PM, pixelSprite wrote: What if we would stop worrying about ad profits and focus on bringing back newgrounds online store.

Community would make art, and best ones would be printed on tshirts and hoodies and artist gets some profit, but
mainly newgrounds gets money from printing and sending em out.

People might be more willing to support newgrounds when receive something in return.

Just a small idea, but I think there should be some better way.

That's a pretty good idea actually. Beside, I miss the NG store already. (Even it was closed two years ago I still miss it.)

I Love Muzy Frile.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-05 14:43:59

Good point. I think I might have to become a Supporter sometime. I've been thinking about it for a while, but now I am really considering it.

Response to Web Animation & Monetization 2016-09-05 16:07:57

Most of the animators I have seen who left Newgrounds to focus on Youtube are now mostly tweeting about them wanting Facebook to pick up the slack. I don't visit here often so I don't know how things are on here anymore (I came to watch Jazza's new short, it was alright for what it was, led to me seeing this post) but I'm assuming the browser games are pulling in far more traffic than the animated shorts.

If Newgrounds can get back its niche audience and start to grow again thats great, but I think a large part of what Newgrounds got that niche in the first place was because there was almost no other content for people to watch at the time. Swf files were all anyone had to work with and Newgrounds profited from that. Now peoples time is taken up watching Lets Plays and everything else I don't know that the audience looking specifically for animated content is as big as it once was.

Regardless, I hope Newgrounds does make some sort of come back at some point. While I have no intention of ever making web based animated content again, and I know the same sort of repetitive parody content will be just as prevalent as it ever was, at least having Newgrounds back on its feet in terms of animation will mean I will actually know where to look for more morbid content like what Firth was making. I mean I'm sure animators are still making that stuff, but ill be fucked if I can find it on Youtube anywhere.

DOUBLE POST! BAM! I thought that was fixed.

Well I just started supporting the site with the sub plus some. I'm going to start posting my content on here instead of youtube because youtube is a joke because of google and it isn't something I want to be apart of anymore. I would rather support a site like NG that is about art and animation. Hellz yeah!