00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FireKingKai just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

guitar tone question

1,170 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

guitar tone question 2016-08-31 18:42:51

I have a fender strat starcaster, a orange crush 35rt, and a tube screamer t39dx, how with that can i kind of sound like david gilmour or the rolling stones, and do i need to have more or less guitar volume, i want to use the neck pickup, do i need more or less guitar tone volume, i also have a fat 50's neck pickup

guitar tone question

Response to guitar tone question 2016-09-01 02:56:00

My best advice would be just to forego your tube screamer (or any pedal, really) if you're going for a classic rock sound. Let the amp's internal gain stage take care of distortion level, which won't be that demanding for that style anyway. Then it's just a matter of trying the different settings on your guitar. Pure neck pickup tends to be fuzzy/muddy on the lower register (I only use it for certain leads higher up on the neck), so I'd start at a 50/50 neck/bridge and ease it toward solely using the bridge. My guess is you'll probably wind up there anyhow.

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to guitar tone question 2016-09-01 03:29:42 (edited 2016-09-01 03:39:47)

I got good settings treble, mids, bass maxed on the amp, tube screamer settings, drive 4, ts9 on the ts9dx, tone maxed, level set to 1, tone maxed, guitar volume 7, neck pickup. So what did I do to the sound? because i think it sounds perfect

guitar tone question

Response to guitar tone question 2016-09-01 07:12:13

At 8/31/16 06:42 PM, goku4eternity wrote:

:sound like david gilmour or the rolling stones

Which of the Rolling stones? Keith or Ron? Which era Stones? They have changed their sound of the years.

Also which Gilmour? His guitar solo work on Wall and Dark? He used a lot of EMG pickups back in 80s. He also used tons of effects like delays and so on.

The only thing you can do is listen to the songs you like and try to emulate the sound as best you can.

I usually start with putting everything at around 50% and going up or down by 15% as I get closer to the tone I want.