00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

no mans sky?

786 Views | 22 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

no mans sky? 2016-08-13 00:46:51

Hey guys i want to know what are your opinions on No man sky? just want to know i'm curious.

no mans sky?

;)

BBS Signature

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-13 01:02:23

I kinda wanna get it, but atm i hear its absolute junk on PC and I probably wouldn't be able to run it anyways

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-13 05:29:24

Looks like an enormous pile of shit. Steam release was the worst one since the last Batman game.

Whatever, I had no hype in the first place.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-13 06:28:25

At 8/13/16 05:29 AM, TOXlCITY wrote: Whatever, I had no hype in the first place.

You don't have hype... It exists. You meant to say you didn't buy into the hype or you had no expectations or excitement or something.

Anyways, 1st grade level English lessons aside:

Sean Murray blatantly lied about multiplayer.
There's no way they didn't know how horribly it ran on PC prior to launch.

On the one hand it sucks because I thought it would be fun to explore.

But that is more than outweighed by the pleasure of seeing all the irrational circle jerking fanbois let down and in uproar.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-13 07:02:14 (edited 2016-08-13 07:02:22)

At 8/13/16 06:28 AM, sharpnova wrote: You don't have hype... It exists. You meant to say you didn't buy into the hype or you had no expectations or excitement or something.

Thank you for the correction, darling. I meant to say that I did not understand nor buy into the hype and I had absolutely no idea what people saw in this shitpile.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-13 07:54:48

I have it, I think it's pretty great. I can get pretty lost in exploration.

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-13 08:38:15

At 8/13/16 07:02 AM, TOXlCITY wrote:
At 8/13/16 06:28 AM, sharpnova wrote: You don't have hype... It exists. You meant to say you didn't buy into the hype or you had no expectations or excitement or something.
Thank you for the correction, darling. I meant to say that I did not understand nor buy into the hype and I had absolutely no idea what people saw in this shitpile.

I had hopes... but my real expectations were that it would be bad.

Hilariously, it's ten times worse than I imagined.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-13 08:39:22

To clarify that means it's eleven times as bad as I imagined.

I don't like when people say things like "two times more money" and mean "two times as much money" That meas "three times as much money"

Learn the difference. I just explained it for you. I won't do so again.

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-13 11:04:41 (edited 2016-08-13 11:10:13)

Barring the fact that there was an insane hype/anti-hype thing going on leading up to the launch it looked like a solid game where you just wander around and get lost and chill while listening to a podcast or some music. Sounds like it's pretty much what any sane person should have expected. Thing is there are plenty of games that do the same thing for a lot less than 60 bucks. That's like four times as much money as a 15 dollar survival game. If someone's sold on the procedural generation then maybe it's worth it, but I don't see that as a huge selling point.

If the game was a launch title for the PS4 it would have preceded everyone's growing suspicion and tiring of survival games and would have gotten 9+ scores across the board so maybe we are slowly moving towards a more rational world.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-13 20:10:31

TB formulated it perfectly in his quick video on the port.
Basically he said that it's technically true the devs of the game never made any false promises, but were (intentionally?) unclear about what you'd be able to do in the game.
He then added that they also weren't clear about what you wouldn't be able to do in the game, resulting in a lot of hype surrounding a game that... not a lot was known about.
Because of this, people started filling in the gaps with their own imagination, resulting in everyone speculating about their very own perfect game and ultimately, everyone getting let down.
It's a sad state of affairs, but at this point it almost seems inevitable whenever an indie dev takes on a large scale project like this. Same goes for We Happy Few: off-topic, but something's telling me that game is bound to disappoint.

At 8/13/16 06:28 AM, sharpnova wrote:
At 8/13/16 05:29 AM, TOXlCITY wrote: Whatever, I had no hype in the first place.
You don't have hype... It exists. You meant to say you didn't buy into the hype or you had no expectations or excitement or something.

Anyways, 1st grade level English lessons aside

You are sooo not hype, ffs

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-14 00:11:27

so i got the game now runs fine on my computer why the hate its a little tedius but fine 6/10 not worth $66

;)

BBS Signature

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-14 11:59:09

I played about 2 hours on PC so far, no real issues, doesn't run as well as I'd like (mostly high settings, 1440p, on an R9 390 and a i5 6500), I'm only managing between 50-70FPS, I honestly thought before the game came out I would run it at 100+FPS at max easy, but that seem to be the case.

A lot of haters for this game, who the hell knows why? It's fairly fun for what it is, is it worth $60? Depends on what $60 is worth to you. Is the game in my opinion worth $60? Absolutely not.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-14 21:35:45

Gee, a video game that let's you roam planets, galaxies, and travel through the universe? Can't have that much packed into it. I'm sure my computer can handle it.

</sarcasm>

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-14 23:36:15

I saw the failure coming from miles away tbh.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-17 02:13:30

I literally had no hype for it, even more after their press censoring scandals.

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-17 14:16:41

me nether but i got it to see what the fuss was about lol

;)

BBS Signature

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-17 18:19:54

i just relized this my most popular fourem post :)

;)

BBS Signature

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-24 12:09:25

I'm playing it on PS4 and having a great time if you are looking for something very zen. Lot of repetition, but just knowing that you are on a planet-sized planet in a universe-sized universe is soooo relaxing.

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-24 14:43:52

Disappointment in my opinion, got it on PS4 originally but the FOV was sickening so I got it again on PC and it ran like balls. I finally got to playing a week later when it stabilized a bit and it bored me after an hour.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-27 00:14:23

Your opinion on it depends on you really. I regret pre-ordering it, but I still enjoy finding the occasional fun-to-explore planet and animals that are either bizarre or somewhat lifelike. The survival aspect of the game was completely ignored during all pre-release interviews and videos, and it seems a little forced. The progression is minimal and mostly meaningless(Get a bigger ship to hold more things to get more money to get a bigger ship, repeat until you have the largest possible storage space).

There are a ton of things that were promised and have yet to be even announced as in development for No Man's Sky:
- Gas giant planets
- Rings around planets
- Actual asteroid belts, rather than having them appear around you current position
- A functioning cloud/atmosphere system
- Variegated flora/fauna that extends past the basic structures that are currently in game
- Bipedal sentinels patrolling planets(seen in multiple trailers, but only the lowest tier of sentinels patrol non-hostilely)
- Warring factions, and larger fleets that would be involved within them
- Meaningful relationships with the three NPC races
- MULTIPLAYER I can't stress how big of an issue this was. At every interview, Sean Murray would assure everyone that multiplayer was going to be in game, and that there is a chance that you would meet other players. And then, day of release, this tweet was put out by Sean. Like, what the flippin' heck, guys? This was the base for a huge outcry by those that had trusted Hello Games, and it still remains a thorn in the sides of many.

Those are just reasons off the top of my head, there's a lot more if you go looking for them. I'd wait until it goes on sale, maybe in the $35 range, but also wait until they(hopefully) get the aforementioned problems fixed.

no mans sky?

BBS Signature

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-27 02:25:51

it looks as bland as tapioca pudding

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-28 10:24:44 (edited 2016-08-28 10:25:15)

At 8/27/16 12:14 AM, Prince-of-Autumn wrote: - MULTIPLAYER I can't stress how big of an issue this was. At every interview, Sean Murray would assure everyone that multiplayer was going to be in game, and that there is a chance that you would meet other players. And then, day of release, this tweet was put out by Sean. Like, what the flippin' heck, guys? This was the base for a huge outcry by those that had trusted Hello Games, and it still remains a thorn in the sides of many.

The fact that this was / is the most popular complaint about the game is the biggest disappointment of it all, IMO.

Yes, he did say it would be theoretically 'possible', but with every utterance of that word he followed it up with: "But the chances of it actually happening are as near as makes no difference zero, so don't think of the game as multiplayer".
The disappointing part in this is in the user-base of people who just heard the word 'multiplayer' and ignored all the other details about how this really shouldn't have been thought of as a multiplayer game at any point in its development, even if the mechanics for its theoretical possibility seem to have been scrapped last-minute.

I haven't got the game yet, nor do I have a PS4 or a computer that can run it properly, so I'm going to have to wait a while to play it anyway, but even if I could play it right now, I wouldn't have bought it for the simple rule of never buy a current-generation game on the first month of release! I mean fuck; how many times do people have to be reminded that the current generation of console / PC games are almost never completed properly by the day of release? When was the last time a game that got this much hype wasn't greeted with: "BAWW THIS SUCKS WHERE'S MUH FEATURES?!" on its release date?

Everyone should know by now to wait until the first few patches are out and the price comes down before buying a game these days, especially one as experimental and ambitious as this. It's a whole goddamned galaxy already; did anyone seriously think it was going to be exactly as intended / stated from day 1 of release? If it flat-out doesn't work in places that's a different matter, but so far all I'm reading is how it's not pixel-for-pixel identical to what the release trailers have shown, which is true for basically every video game ever to have a release trailer, so where's the legitimate complaint here?

I really, really hope this wave of overblown butthurt about how it doesn't have a feature that was never supposed to be much of a feature anyway doesn't end up killing what could end up an incredibly immersive exploration and building game. I personally love the concept, and I'm gonna be mega-pissed if it gets taken off the market before I get my hands on it to judge for myself because of how many people who bought this were idiots looking for the next generic bro shooter it plainly never was, and are now demanding refunds because of their misguided assumptions. Pulling that shit has killed off development studios before, y'know.

Response to no mans sky? 2016-08-28 16:17:46 (edited 2016-08-28 16:19:52)

At 8/28/16 10:24 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
At 8/27/16 12:14 AM, Prince-of-Autumn wrote: - MULTIPLAYER I can't stress how big of an issue this was.
The fact that this was / is the most popular complaint about the game is the biggest disappointment of it all, IMO.

Yes, he did say it would be theoretically 'possible', but with every utterance of that word he followed it up with: "But the chances of it actually happening are as near as makes no difference zero, so don't think of the game as multiplayer".

The fact that two streamers went to the same planet and couldn't see each other, when they were standing in the exact same spot, is enough to say that Sean lied. He constantly spouted that the chance of encountering another player was astronomically(no pun intended) low, but if two players co-ordinated to meet up, they could.

At 8/28/16 10:24 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Everyone should know by now to wait until the first few patches are out and the price comes down before buying a game these days, especially one as experimental and ambitious as this. It's a whole goddamned galaxy already; did anyone seriously think it was going to be exactly as intended / stated from day 1 of release?

We were expecting the game they promised. Plain and simple. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy walking for hours around a solar system in extreme conditions, logging everything I encounter, but I damn well won't be recommending this game until the basic shit gets patched in.

At 8/28/16 10:24 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote: I personally love the concept, and I'm gonna be mega-pissed if it gets taken off the market before I get my hands on it to judge for myself

You may love the concept from afar, as I did before release day, but you won't be able to experience the disappointment until you play it. Buy it when you're able, then reply back to this thread when you realize how much content is missing.

BBS Signature