00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is the audio portal dead?

1,446 Views | 21 Replies

Is the audio portal dead? 2016-07-29 16:37:13

It's been a quarter score since I've logged on and interacted with the community. But it seems to me the audio community may be dying off a little bit.... please tell me that I'm wrong??

Also anybody wanna reminesce the days of Karco CornandBeans, Nal1200, Music-Story, ParagonX9, and others? (:

BBS Signature

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-07-29 17:32:25

Uh, I'm here if it's any consolation.

Well I don't know about you who have been there for a longer time, but if audio portal is now dead, then I can't possibly imagine what it was like back then in the 'golden days'. There's lots of contests going on (AIM, NGAUC and NGADM (which we wont have this year unfortunately) to name a few), And lots of people are still producing and engaging in discussion on the forum.

I agree that it is a pity that many talented producers have left, but there's also many new, and old users to take their place and continue what they left behind.

Actually I think that there is just as many talented composers around, they just don't get the same status / way of recognition as say, Dimrain and Paragon got.

Might be bit rich coming from someone who has been an user for less than a year, but that is my point of view.

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-07-29 18:37:55

the forum has had the same amount of activity since you were here.

the difference is audio plays. there is no more top 5 I guess which depleted some of newgrounds' competitiveness.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-07-29 19:58:35

At 7/29/16 05:32 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Uh, I'm here if it's any consolation.

NO TROISNYX, THAT'S NO CONSOLATION!

Indeed, the Audio Portal actually closed in 1975 when Marty and the Doc knocked a tree over that fell on Tom Fulp's Father. This killed him in a matter of hours and the world was never the same.

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-07-29 20:24:41

At 7/29/16 04:37 PM, Triented wrote: It's been a quarter score since I've logged on and interacted with the community. But it seems to me the audio community may be dying off a little bit.... please tell me that I'm wrong??

The AP isn't dying; there are still plenty of tracks being submitted each day. Now the forums have dropped off quite a bit... but I have the feeling that they're starting to pick back up. Aside from that, @BrenTheMan is working on a seriously cool feature revival that I think will seriously kick things back into high-gain. Stay tuned; I'm sure you'll enjoy it ;)

Also anybody wanna reminesce the days of Karco CornandBeans, Nal1200, Music-Story, ParagonX9, and others? (:

No.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-07-29 23:04:42

This year's NGAUC is the biggest contest the portal has ever seen.

Just sayin'

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-07-30 11:30:50

At 7/29/16 08:24 PM, Migashi wrote:
At 7/29/16 04:37 PM, Triented wrote: It's been a quarter score since I've logged on and interacted with the community. But it seems to me the audio community may be dying off a little bit.... please tell me that I'm wrong??
Aside from that, @BrenTheMan is working on a seriously cool feature

NG Radio - released yesterday!

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-07-30 22:21:30

Probably about half dead, considering what GD has done....

....but we have other threads which we discuss that in.

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-07-31 04:49:58

Just make something amazing and they'll be there

2021 AIM Submission

"AIM - Vindicta"

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1047051

BBS Signature

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-08-01 01:32:11

At 7/30/16 04:40 PM, dem0lecule wrote: we don't need these threads being made once a while to remind how some user belongs to a bunch of defeatists.

I'm not really being defeatest I'm just not used to the flow of activity that's been implimented since I was last active. I'll always love newgrounds no matter what they do (:

BBS Signature

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-08-01 02:11:47

yep it's dead, there isn't any activity at all and never will be again.

sigh.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-08-01 20:22:42

At 8/1/16 02:11 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: yep it's dead, there isn't any activity at all and never will be again.

sigh.

No I am still alive.

(I am the 90% of the Audio Portal)

Short answer: No.

Long answer: I think the AP is far from dead. If it truly were, then we'd literally see only a few people here merely celebrating their presence rather than engaging in community-driven events, like major contests, album collabs, or even just exchanging feedback. I don't know what the "golden days" looked like, being only here since 2009, but surely long enough to see your statement as a typical commonplace sentiment coated in insurmountable nostalgia, expecting anything coming after to meet that certain line of standard you have given yourself. The AP will reach its death once there will be nothing else to share, whether it's audio, or feedback, or critique, news, anything, and once there will be no one to witness it.
Until everybody abandons ship, I don't think there is any reason to believe there's even a "golden age" to begin with. If you know you work hard to bring out your potential and share it with the folks here, it's always a golden age.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-08-01 20:53:17

At 8/1/16 08:22 PM, Dubsyn wrote:
At 8/1/16 02:11 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: yep it's dead, there isn't any activity at all and never will be again.

sigh.
No I am still alive.

(I am the 90% of the Audio Portal)

what do you mean, there's no activity. 90% of nothing is still nothing.

facetiousness deactivate

BBS Signature

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-08-01 21:19:24

At 8/1/16 08:53 PM, Ultramartyr wrote:
facetiousness deactivate

is ur sign up date also ur birthdate dude

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-08-01 22:46:27

At 8/1/16 09:19 PM, Dubsyn wrote:
At 8/1/16 08:53 PM, Ultramartyr wrote:
facetiousness deactivate
is ur sign up date also ur birthdate dude

sarcasm and facetiousness is hard to detect on the internet where all you have to go by is text. there are people out there dumb enough to not know i wasn't being serious.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-08-02 00:20:45

At 8/1/16 10:46 PM, Ultramartyr wrote:
At 8/1/16 09:19 PM, Dubsyn wrote:
sarcasm and facetiousness is hard to detect on the internet where all you have to go by is text. there are people out there dumb enough to not know i wasn't being serious.

I dont get it first you say you are being difficult then you are calling ppl dumb by not understanding you.

lol

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-08-02 02:56:07

No. People move on. There is the same amount of equally talented audio artists still active on the audio portal, you're just stuck in nostalgia.

It might be true that there is less activity (reviews/listens/downloads/song usage)per submission than there was in the past redesign. And perhaps audio is being submitted at a lower rate (just speculating- 331 audio tracks were submitted in the last 3 days and a few hours) But the amount of new features, audio contests, overall forum activity, shows that the audio portal is anything but dying.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-08-02 03:41:52

At 8/2/16 02:56 AM, S3C wrote:
you're just stuck in nostalgia.

Hahaha, 2007 though.......

BBS Signature

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-08-02 03:58:58

At 8/2/16 03:41 AM, Triented wrote:
At 8/2/16 02:56 AM, S3C wrote:
you're just stuck in nostalgia.
Hahaha, 2007 though.......

I might add that as a new AP user, I invited you via PM to listen to some of my stuff. A mere taster of what new people do. And the idea was that I'd link you to other musicians like myself. No response. No kidding, this is a person stuck in nostalgia who can't see the new, talented people for what they do and who they are.

Response to Is the audio portal dead? 2016-08-02 04:26:07

As pointed out, the audio portal remains rife with activity, and talented musicians still join the site. You can see with your own eyes the audio forum, too is very active, with contests going on most of the time.

Just because all the people you remember aren't here anymore (trust me, I share that nostalgia), doesn't mean the place is dead. People come and go.

I'm going to lock this thread now as it doesn't serve any constructive discussion.