00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

DHMIS, a Wonder Shozen rip off?

437 Views | 5 Replies

I finally caved and started watching "Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared" on YouTube, and something struck me as being very peculiar about this series. Specifically how similar it is to "Wonder Shozen". I mean, you can say that a parody of a kids puppet show is kind of easy, so it could all be a coincidence. Okay, there, I said it first. Admittedly, I have no solid, concrete evidence of this. Really, I should post this on the subreddit to ruffle some feathers, but I'll do it here.

Okay, first of all, for those that aren't aware, Wonder Shozen was a show that was on MTV 2 10 years ago. Like "Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared" it was a show that not only parodied kids shows, but did so in a very abstract way and was fully of black humor. Don't get me wrong, "Wonder Shozen" went way further with this concept, using topics like genocide and racism, and it was a lot more controversial. It isn't even close.

While the two aren't exactly the same (again, since "Wonder Shozen" took this much further) the similarities are striking. I wonder how much influence, if any, it had on DHMIS. Yes, I get it, "Wonder Shozen" never aired in the UK, but certain clips have become memes and are easily accessible to anyone with an internet connection, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that the creators knew.

Response to DHMIS, a Wonder Shozen rip off? 2016-07-13 20:21:43

somewhat on topic, wonder shozen is fantastic.

so is mr show and wkuk.

that's all i really have to say

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to DHMIS, a Wonder Shozen rip off? 2016-07-13 20:58:37

DAMN RIGHT THAT'S RACIST!

Response to DHMIS, a Wonder Shozen rip off? 2016-07-13 21:34:32

I saw the very first one when it just came out (which was a few years ago), so at this point I'm pretty tired of seeing them. It also doesn't help that my past friends would obsess over these videos, when I didn't really care as much as they did.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to DHMIS, a Wonder Shozen rip off? 2016-07-14 07:49:57

i will watch it

Response to DHMIS, a Wonder Shozen rip off? 2020-03-23 17:39:50

I think is not a rip-off because they parody it with differents forms