00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Mrmclovin112 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2016 Olympics Discussion Thread

8,735 Views | 176 Replies

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-17 17:56:49

At 8/17/16 05:21 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Time to brace for the worst, will the U.S. men's team choke in the quarterfinals or will they be able to fight for another game? After their performances in the past three games, how can I believe?

I do expect them to start showing up, they're too good not to. That said, they have a habit of coasting and being too loose in certain situations, and no one has fully taken advantage of this yet. Then there is Deandre Jordan saying that an Olympic Gold is worth more than an NBA championship.

So far, it doesn't look good, but it's still early in the game.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-17 20:55:30

At 8/17/16 05:56 PM, orangebomb wrote:

Get your panties out of a bunch. The Americans are fine.

They thumped Argentina with the final score being 105-78.

Can't wait until we beat the tar out of Spain again.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-17 22:37:04

Okay guys, I gotta ask. What's up with this Ryan Lochte robbery fiasco? There's two guys from his swim team being pulled from the plane ready to go home, and one judge seems to think that their stories don't add up. Did this U.S. swim team create a bullshit story?

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-19 03:57:57

Brits smashing it.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-19 10:54:12

At 8/17/16 08:55 PM, ZJ wrote:
At 8/17/16 05:56 PM, orangebomb wrote:
Get your panties out of a bunch. The Americans are fine.

They thumped Argentina with the final score being 105-78.

Can't wait until we beat the tar out of Spain again.

I hope so but even after that game I'm still not sold however, especially since I still couldn't get that Serbia game out of my head. The fact that Spain struggled at first was surprising but even then we still can't underestimate these guys so it may be tough.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-19 16:17:02

It was tough but thankfully the U.S. did their job against Spain so potentially the toughest opponent is out of the way but they will be facing either Australia or Serbia next. Just hope the U.S. remembers who they are and play the way they should be playing by killing either of those guys, especially in Serbia case where they should have been blown out.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-19 19:54:45

It'll be the USA taking on Serbia on Sunday to see who gets gold in Men's Basketball.

Just give it to us already. We sealed the deal when we beat Spain today.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-19 20:30:00

At 8/19/16 07:57 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote:
At 8/19/16 07:54 PM, ZJ wrote: It'll be the USA taking on Serbia on Sunday to see who gets gold in Men's Basketball.

Just give it to us already. We sealed the deal when we beat Spain today.
WHAT tell me that did actually happen lmao

Just hope U.S. doesn't get too complacent, that's what nearly caused them to blow the Serbia game a week ago. When you have a huge lead, don't let up!

That's my concern.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-19 21:08:05

At 8/9/16 06:17 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: Dark5 just made a video on the Rio Olympics today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKuFRRdM9ZU

And now he's made another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We--Q0lPrEY

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-20 13:51:28

At 8/19/16 03:57 AM, Gagsy wrote: Brits smashing it.

MAJOR props to Great Britain for having more gold medals than China and the rest of the world that isn't in the United States. You guys are awesome.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-20 14:32:15

At 8/20/16 01:51 PM, ZJ wrote:
At 8/19/16 03:57 AM, Gagsy wrote: Brits smashing it.
MAJOR props to Great Britain for having more gold medals than China and the rest of the world that isn't in the United States. You guys are awesome.

This amount of medals has certainly lifted my spirits.

Cartoonist lad, occasional BBS poster and all-round human hailing from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

NOTICE: Anyone caught posting A.I. 'art' on Newgrounds.com will have their balls ripped off and flushed down the toilet.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-20 14:36:55

At 8/17/16 10:37 PM, FinaLee wrote: Okay guys, I gotta ask. What's up with this Ryan Lochte robbery fiasco? There's two guys from his swim team being pulled from the plane ready to go home, and one judge seems to think that their stories don't add up. Did this U.S. swim team create a bullshit story?

it's pretty ridiculous. but imo, the more ridiculous thing is the big deal brazil is making about it. all the shit that was wrong with this olympics, all the people that were actually robbed, this is what they flip shit over.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-21 09:26:43

At 8/17/16 10:37 PM, FinaLee wrote: Okay guys, I gotta ask. What's up with this Ryan Lochte robbery fiasco? There's two guys from his swim team being pulled from the plane ready to go home, and one judge seems to think that their stories don't add up. Did this U.S. swim team create a bullshit story?

Apparently it was just Ryan Lochte over exaggerating things. He's taking the fall.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-21 10:58:19

In 2:30 p.m. the game will begin as well as the moment of truth for Team U.S.A.

Can they avoid choking against Serbia to win the gold medal? That's my concern since their previous meeting is what got me worried to begin with.

Here we go.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-21 16:05:46

So far so good, I'm liking what I'm seeing right now.

Now that's how it should have been.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-21 18:45:26

USA gets the gold in Basketball, not that I was expecting anything less. Kind of made me wonder where all their dominant play was all this time, but they came through when it counted.

Not to sound greedy considering that we have 46 gold medals, but should've had a few more if Alison Felix didn't get hosed when someone had to dive to win the race, and the women's soccer team didn't flubbed against Sweden. Still, we practically dominated these Olympics in terms of medals, so it's water under the bridge at this point.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-21 18:47:31

At 8/21/16 09:26 AM, ZJ wrote:
Apparently it was just Ryan Lochte over exaggerating things. He's taking the fall.

I can see why the Brazilians would get pissed about this sort of thing. There's plenty of stuff to criticize without 'exaggeration'.

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-22 03:23:13

"He's taking the fall."

Come on mate. He is only apologising about the fact that he got caught.

I read a great article about how Ryan Lochte is what the world hates about America. And it wasn't wrong in that assumption. Sadly Lochte is the quintessential image of an American and you should be fucking livid with him because of that.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-22 03:56:19

I think these Olympics went better than @Tony-DarkGrave anticipated.

Would you agree?

Cartoonist lad, occasional BBS poster and all-round human hailing from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

NOTICE: Anyone caught posting A.I. 'art' on Newgrounds.com will have their balls ripped off and flushed down the toilet.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-22 04:29:40

At 8/22/16 04:03 AM, zornuzkull wrote:
At 8/22/16 03:56 AM, ChazDude wrote: I think these Olympics went better than @Tony-DarkGrave anticipated.

Would you agree?
Britain is number two in medal ranking not bad for a small island nation...
Could have been worse I guess...

I think what you meant to say was;

"Well done to team GB. Your nation of 60 million topped the powerhouse of China with its 1.3 billion population. You also got gold in 15 different sports, which is more than any other nation managed. So great spread there. Also you are the only nation to increase its medal count at five successive games. Also you are the only host nation to win more medals at the very next Olympics games, instead of gaining less as is the status quo."

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-22 05:50:08

At 8/22/16 03:56 AM, ChazDude wrote: I think these Olympics went better than @Tony-DarkGrave anticipated.

Would you agree?

I was really hoping for a by definition shitastrophe.

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-22 09:53:05

At 8/22/16 03:23 AM, Gagsy wrote:
"He's taking the fall."

Come on mate. He is only apologising about the fact that he got caught.

I read a great article about how Ryan Lochte is what the world hates about America. And it wasn't wrong in that assumption. Sadly Lochte is the quintessential image of an American and you should be fucking livid with him because of that.

For every Ryan Lochte the U.S.A. produces, we have just as many Simone Biles. Not all of us are loud assholes and I don't care what article you read that pushes that stereotype. I'm not defending the man for his wrongdoings, but the simple fact of the matter is that he owned up to his screw ups even if it was just because "he got caught". He should be punished if he committed a crime, but shame on you for using him to be like, "PROOF THAT AMERICANS ARE EXACTLY WHAT WE THINK OF THEM. JUSTIFIED HATRED."

"I just read a great series of BBS posts that showed how Gagsy is the quintessential Brit: A snotty holier-than-thou ass who paints Americans with one brush because one of our athletes acted like a dickhead."

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-22 11:40:31

At 8/22/16 09:53 AM, ZJ wrote:
For every Ryan Lochte the U.S.A. produces, we have just as many Simone Biles. Not all of us are loud assholes and I don't care what article you read that pushes that stereotype. I'm not defending the man for his wrongdoings, but the simple fact of the matter is that he owned up to his screw ups even if it was just because "he got caught". He should be punished if he committed a crime, but shame on you for using him to be like, "PROOF THAT AMERICANS ARE EXACTLY WHAT WE THINK OF THEM. JUSTIFIED HATRED."

"I just read a great series of BBS posts that showed how Gagsy is the quintessential Brit: A snotty holier-than-thou ass who paints Americans with one brush because one of our athletes acted like a dickhead."

ZJ, I'm really fucking hurt that you think I am slagging off all Americans. I know and love many Americans and think them wonderful people. I want those good people to be mad because of this image that he is sending out to the rest of the world which is not the whole picture sure, but when he represents the USA he represents you. And the image he sent out strongly is that frat boy white privilege can still do what it wants when it wants, especially when in a poverty driven country dominated by non white citizens, because who won't want to believe the rich white man? That is why you should be livid in my opinion.

You're right for every Ryan Lochte there is a Simone Biles who I myself have gushed over in these games but history remembers cheaters and liars more, seriously. To use a British example (least you think I'm being a xenophobe) I couldn't tell you what medals Britain's own Dwain Chambers ever won but I can certainly tell you that he was a drug cheat who rightly got banned from the sport. And just look at the Russian athletes who were allowed to compete in these games - boos everywhere even if those particular athletes were not caught using banned substances.

What Lochte did can prove just as damaging, his sponsors know that, the US Olympic committee will know that, even he himself will know that.

Shame on you for not realising what I'm trying to say without getting all defensive and mean about it.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-22 14:33:00

At 8/22/16 11:40 AM, Gagsy wrote: ZJ, I'm really fucking hurt that you think I am slagging off all Americans. I know and love many Americans and think them wonderful people. I want those good people to be mad because of this image that he is sending out to the rest of the world which is not the whole picture sure, but when he represents the USA he represents you.

Whoa, one person (Ryan Lochte) does not wholly represent the athletes of the United States let alone America as a whole. Furthermore, I find it insulting that you would tell us how to feel about one of our own, even though I do agree that he did send a bad image. It's no different if I would say if Greg Hardy represented NFL players as a whole with the domestic violence incident.

I'm not necessarily saying that you're wrong, but the problem is that you tell us that because of him, we end up with the "ugly Americans" tag over Lochte's fuckup. Don't think we are not cognizant about all this, even if we don't raise a total ruckus about this in public.

And the image he sent out strongly is that frat boy white privilege can still do what it wants when it wants, especially when in a poverty driven country dominated by non white citizens, because who won't want to believe the rich white man? That is why you should be livid in my opinion.

We know this, but this happens all the time, and it's not just with Americans mind you. I hate that when people rush to judgement about a group of people over one person and think that we're not cognizant about this, just because on a macro public level we don't get fuming about it. Not to mention that all the evidence does point to Lochte making it all up, though beforehand, it would've been far more indicting of Rio's security that Lochte and a few others got robbed considering that their crime is rampant.

You're right for every Ryan Lochte there is a Simone Biles who I myself have gushed over in these games but history remembers cheaters and liars more, seriously. To use a British example (least you think I'm being a xenophobe) I couldn't tell you what medals Britain's own Dwain Chambers ever won but I can certainly tell you that he was a drug cheat who rightly got banned from the sport. And just look at the Russian athletes who were allowed to compete in these games - boos everywhere even if those particular athletes were not caught using banned substances.

That may be, but in our case, we have Michael Phelps (before his DUIs) and Katie Ledecky to name a few that are model citizens that represent us. We have so many athletes that are successful enough to keep one bad apple from spoiling the bunch, I'll bet that more people know about Carl Lewis than Ben Johnson (the Canadian T&F star who doped in the '88 Games) for example. I'm glad that you are able to know that for every one Ryan Lochte, there are hundreds of our athletes who do the right thing.

Shame on you for not realising what I'm trying to say without getting all defensive and mean about it.

Don't think that we didn't realize this, but you didn't exactly give very much context with your first post. It's kind of hard not to be defensive when someone paints a broad brush about us because of the actions of one person, even if the do represent us in a sporting event, particularly out of hundreds. I'm not disagreeing with you that he did send us a bad image and considering who Lochte paint himself as, it does looks worse, but when people from the outside throw aspersions at us over the actions of a few on a global stage, we have to retort simply on principle alone.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-22 14:48:28

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-24 07:15:47

Euronews has a great article with two weighted medals tables.

Translator, time traveller, aerospace engineer, and voodoo priest extraordinaire.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-08-24 14:32:42

At 8/24/16 07:15 AM, C-Hawk wrote: Euronews has a great article with two weighted medals tables.

So that's where that idiot at the comments section of an Yahoo Sports article got that bull crap from.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature