00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2016 Olympics Discussion Thread

8,720 Views | 176 Replies

2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 14:22:13

So, every four years, we gather in a city, to compete for who is the best at various sports like table tennis and sailing, for small plaques of gold, to be hung around our top athlete's necks. This year the Games will be held in Brazil and are already turning out to be a big media story...

Now's your chance to chat about it on Newgrounds. Are you looking forward to it? What's your favorite event? Is this whole thing going to turn out to be a disaster with Rio looking more and more dangerous as we get closer to the Games?

Sure, the games don't begin for a few more weeks (5th of August, to be exact), but we can still start building it up!

WHO'S READY FOR SOME SPORTS?!?!?!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 14:37:27

I heard the sprinters are going to be faster than ever this year. They've had a lot of practice running away from the mosquitos.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 15:10:09

USA! USA!

Ok, now that I got that out of the way, it feels like the controversy has overshadowed the Games from both the Zika virus and all the stories about political corruption, sewage and stuff. Of course, they had those problems in 2014, and the World Cup went pretty well.

Frankly, the events I usually look forward to are the Basketball, Track and Swimming events. In other words, the events that America usually dominates in, Usain Bolt notwithstanding in track.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 15:28:10

Any icelandic athletes competing at the olympics? The germans always kind of disappoint, except for in sports like Canoeing (ie sports nobody cares about).

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 15:50:16

At 6/30/16 03:24 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: Lol the flame is supposed to be an Olympic torch. I get it ZJ

I'm glad someone caught that.

At 6/30/16 03:28 PM, Haggard wrote: Any icelandic athletes competing at the olympics? The germans always kind of disappoint, except for in sports like Canoeing (ie sports nobody cares about).

Looks like Iceland has a couple of dudes and ladies competing this year! There's even a dude doing Judo, which is interesting. He'll get crushed by a Japanese guy, though.

ALSO:

There's unidentified body parts being found in Rio...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 15:54:58

RIO is a shithole
Trash in the water where the swimming takes place.
Body parts wash up near Olympics beach volleyball site
not even half of the construction is complete.
Olympic Athletes are being MUGGED.
Public Security says crime still a problem along with police corruption
Police are striking.
not to mention people dropping out due to the Zika Virus.

why would you let a second borderline third world country host the olympics when it was obvious they wouldn't be able to pull it off? hold them in a dozen or so countries preferably European or North America and rotate so shit like this doesn't happen.

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 15:56:51

At 6/30/16 03:50 PM, ZJ wrote:
At 6/30/16 03:28 PM, Haggard wrote: Any icelandic athletes competing at the olympics? The germans always kind of disappoint, except for in sports like Canoeing (ie sports nobody cares about).
Looks like Iceland has a couple of dudes and ladies competing this year! There's even a dude doing Judo, which is interesting. He'll get crushed by a Japanese guy, though.

Thanks for the link. Also rooting for Singapore, watch out for Feng Tianwei, she might be able to win a gold medal in table tennis.

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 16:10:33

At 6/30/16 03:54 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
why would you let a second borderline third world country host the olympics when it was obvious they wouldn't be able to pull it off? hold them in a dozen or so countries preferably European or North America and rotate so shit like this doesn't happen.

Honestly, I'd imagine that they got such a boner for the idea of finally giving a South American country a chance to host The Olympic Games that they overlooked the logistics on if the country could actually pull it off. If the Games end up being a disaster, they'll likely do what you said and just hold the next few Games in really developed nations. Hell, 2020 is slated to be in Tokyo again and all of 2024's candidate cities are from Europe and the United States.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 16:57:51

At 6/30/16 04:10 PM, ZJ wrote:
Honestly, I'd imagine that they got such a boner for the idea of finally giving a South American country a chance to host The Olympic Games that they overlooked the logistics on if the country could actually pull it off.

No doubt you know they have been trying to crack down on violence for the past two years ever since the got the host rights? And it's still a fucking mess barely any of the arenas are even half to complete they asked for additional funding from the Olympic committee too and got turned down . They really fucked up giving it to a barely developed country in a city with way to many problems.

If the Games end up being a disaster, they'll likely do what you said and just hold the next few Games in really developed nations. Hell, 2020 is slated to be in Tokyo again and all of 2024's candidate cities are from Europe and the United States.

Qatar is next and I will love to see how that goes over with ISIS over there. But yeah North American and European and select Asian countries should be able to host.

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 16:59:38

At 6/30/16 04:57 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
Qatar is next and I will love to see how that goes over with ISIS over there. But yeah North American and European and select Asian countries should be able to host.

Qatar is hosting a World Cup. Not the Olympic Games. That's all tied to FIFA, who are probably the most corrupt organization on the planet...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 17:16:08

At 6/30/16 04:59 PM, ZJ wrote:
At 6/30/16 04:57 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
Qatar is hosting a World Cup. Not the Olympic Games. That's all tied to FIFA, who are probably the most corrupt organization on the planet...

Oh that's right I'm so fucked up right now on my sleeping schedule I'm doing everything backwards and fucking up.

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 18:40:05

Just win baby!

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 18:42:56

I imagine that as bad as this is, this is only the calm before the shitstorm
In other news:

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 19:52:34

At 6/30/16 06:42 PM, CiviLies wrote: I imagine that as bad as this is, this is only the calm before the shitstorm
In other news:

The only good thing about Brazil.

They might as well hold the next Summer Olympics in fucking Detroit, people are literally going to die over these Olympics.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 20:02:30

At 6/30/16 07:52 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: They might as well hold the next Summer Olympics in fucking Detroit, people are literally going to die over these Olympics.

It's a bad thing that this line made me chuckle slightly, isn't it?

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 20:12:54

At 6/30/16 08:02 PM, CiviLies wrote: It's a bad thing that this line made me chuckle slightly, isn't it?

Nah, seeing humor in morbidity is how you survive

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-06-30 21:25:50

Rio 2016: Attack of the Pinhead Babies

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-07-01 11:34:28

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-07-01 11:50:34

tl;dr help someone..
Brazil is a poor shitty country hold it somewhere else.. who gets to decide anyway?

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-07-01 12:07:29

At 6/30/16 04:59 PM, ZJ wrote: Qatar is hosting a World Cup. Not the Olympic Games. That's all tied to FIFA, who are probably the most corrupt organization on the planet...

How can you say that? The FIFA had an investigation committee officially investigating those accusations and they found nothing! Ok, well, said investigation committee was build by the FIFA themselves, so... yeah.

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-07-01 12:11:11

At 7/1/16 11:50 AM, Iamawalrus wrote: tl;dr help someone..
Brazil is a poor shitty country hold it somewhere else.. who gets to decide anyway?

In the end it's the olympic commitee. Cities can apply to host future olympic games, but in the end it's the olympic commitee that decides where the games take place.
But I really don't know why anyone in Rio thought it was a smart move to host olympic games so short after hosting the world cup in Brazil and I don't know why both the FIFA and the OC thought it was a good idea to host their tournaments in this country.

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-07-01 13:05:07

The worst part is this shithole is probably going to kill a few athletes but what do you expect from a country thats barely out of the category of the third world? If they were smart just stop Rio and send it over to London they still have most of their shit in place and its a safe first world country with no diseases that can kill you, sewage in the water where water events are taking place and violence from the local populace and actual functioning health services.

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-07-01 13:18:34

Hold it in Iraq

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-07-01 13:24:04

Next year: Damascus.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-07-01 14:22:35

At 7/1/16 01:05 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: its a safe first world country with no diseases that can kill you

No diseases in a first world country that can kill you. You heard that scientists? Drop your shit and go do some real work, diseases don't kill people anymore in the first world!

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-07-01 17:10:52

At 7/1/16 02:22 PM, Haggard wrote:
At 7/1/16 01:05 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: its a safe first world country with no diseases that can kill you
No diseases in a first world country that can kill you. You heard that scientists? Drop your shit and go do some real work, diseases don't kill people anymore in the first world!

We all minus heart disease and cancer and the fact we have functional health facilities that can treat it u like Rio or Brazil.

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-07-01 17:15:28

Seen some funny 'Welcome to Brazil' signs.

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-07-01 17:22:11

I'm excited for Wrestling, Boxing, Golf, and Badminton. Hopefully a scandal situation like 2012's Badminton bracket doesn't break out; a better designed bracketing style could remedy that.

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-07-01 17:30:05

At 6/30/16 03:54 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: RIO is a shithole

This. Haven't heard 1 good thing regarding the olympics yet because of the horrible horrible situation the host city is in.
RIP athletes and any families going there

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread 2016-07-02 02:56:48

At 7/1/16 05:10 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 7/1/16 02:22 PM, Haggard wrote:
We all minus heart disease and cancer and the fact we have functional health facilities that can treat it u like Rio or Brazil.

So what about a stroke, for example? Or AIDS? Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease? There are so many deadly diseases... and not all of them are treatable.
Anyway, I think the way you see Brazil is a bit exaggerated. Yes, Brazil is not really a safe place and yes, I too think the Olympics in Rio are a mistake. But to say "they don't have functional health facilities" or "they have diseases that can kill you unlike the first world countries" is so wrong I cannot even put it in words...