00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is PC the Master Race?

2,915 Views | 61 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-01 11:16:44

At 7/31/16 07:32 PM, thebitterroost wrote: For certain genres like FPS/RTS/flight-sims, PC has always been the master platform. I kinda think PC is the overall master platform now (with Steam I just don't see myself buying any more consoles in the future), but that it's a more recent development.

PC is great at certain games. Steam has made things better.

If you go back about a decade or so, it was tough to find a PC controller that worked halfway decently for a reasonable price. The indie market wasn't really much of a thing yet, and a lot of console games didn't have PC ports. Not to mention no digital distro. I think that even aside from all the hardware-supremacy angles, that's been the biggest game-changer ).

PC was not always the best. Glad to see you admitting that there was problems in the past with PC. Much better than just blind devotion.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-01 23:18:20 (edited 2016-08-01 23:20:24)

As for consoles, fact that they work like TV, you turn it on, select channel (game) and you watch (play) is something PC can't quite beat yet (that's not hardware issue but usage experience).

As for PC, Windows 10 Store has potential to deliver that TV (from usage point of view) like experience which even steam doesn't have (I mean just one click install) also if you take into account UWP's (Universal windows platform) strong and stable ABI (Application binary interface), which kind of guarantees that game will work as it supposed to after Windows updates.

As for hardcore (not only hardcore game play, I mean tinkering with configurations (software, hardware) and etc.) side, imho PC is the way to go.

What I personally think is that it's like choice between different forms of experience and consumption (including being able to sit on coach or with desk), where those choices don't exclude each other but expand.

It's maybe like multiplayer vs single player, people enjoy both separately or together.

As a bottom line it depends: on mood, time, economics, everything else that will make you feel like, now I'd like to sit in front of TV and hit play, or now I want to sit with PC and Mouse+Keyboard fire up game from my collection and create new Word document (for whatever reason).

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-02 00:27:25

At 8/1/16 08:33 AM, Chdonga wrote: PC is master race in theory; but since most game developers make their games with shitty console hardware in mind, you're not always able to get the most out of your high-end PC hardware.

You do not think that PC is the master race. I understand, and your vote has been cast.

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-02 18:12:07

At 8/1/16 11:18 PM, iv5 wrote: As for consoles, fact that they work like TV, you turn it on, select channel (game) and you watch (play) is something PC can't quite beat yet (that's not hardware issue but usage experience).

Consoles are easy to use and involve a TV. Relaxing in a chair or sitting on the floor reminds you of being a small child.

As for PC, Windows 10 Store has potential to deliver that TV (from usage point of view) like experience which even steam doesn't have (I mean just one click install) also if you take into account UWP's (Universal windows platform) strong and stable ABI (Application binary interface), which kind of guarantees that game will work as it supposed to after Windows updates.

Yes, you can play games on a PC. A PC has many parts inside of it that work together.

As for hardcore (not only hardcore game play, I mean tinkering with configurations (software, hardware) and etc.) side, imho PC is the way to go.

PC can be adjusted and fine tuned.

As a bottom line it depends: on mood, time, economics, everything else that will make you feel like, now I'd like to sit in front of TV and hit play, or now I want to sit with PC and Mouse+Keyboard fire up game from my collection and create new Word document (for whatever reason).

It seems like you are undecided, and that is okay.

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-03 06:41:18

At 7/30/16 10:10 PM, DCXME01 wrote: Well, besides the annoying Elitists that they really hate consoles...

Mostly they just rail against console users who don't like PC, which is much more common than PC users that don't like consoles. PC has a slightly higher skill requirement and as such most xbro types hate them the way dumb people hate smart things.

-Little to no love for Mac users (Self-explanatory. Hardware is kinda inferior, imo)

This is about PC. Anyone using a Mac who calls themselves a gamer is.... mentally inferior.

-Compatibility or technical issues (Example: You're unable to play DOS games without DOSbox or older Windows games without some sort of compatibility patch)

You mean like consoles usually can't play any of the games from earlier versions of the same console?

DOSbox is a tick in the pro column for pc's, since it's an option that everyone has that opens up all the DOS games.

-Risk of getting malware n' shit (depends if you have antivirus software)

Absolute freedom to be smart and avoid it or make it if you want. It is 100% avoidable and has always been. And I'd rather an environment where malware thrives than one where the console owner rules what's allowed as a dictatorship. Sorry the freedom and openness of the PC is why it is the superior platform in every way.

-Plethora of inferior PC ports (Arkham Knight is one such example)

So.. the contrast is the plethora of PC games that don't have console ports at all. There are about 100 times as many of those as there are console games with no PC ports.

And for every game that has an inferior PC port there are 10 games that had a PC port that was ultimately vastly superior to the console version.

-Plethora of mediocre indie games (Take a good look at Steam's Greenlight section)

So? Also a plethora of epic games. If you don't like mediocre games then don't play them.

-iTunes updates (just an excuse)

Don't be a retard Apple fanboy and you don't have to deal with that. Because PC has options. And it isn't relevant since the console doesn't even have support for your ipod or whatever mp3 player device at all.

You're just saying that PC having something console doesn't that you don't like is a mark against the PC. Idiot.

-Godforsaken Multiplayer hackers

I love hacking.

-Forcing to use clients these days (Steam, Origin, UPlay...).

Consoles are the ultimate clients. It's like Steam without modding or refunds or game sharing or guarantee that if some servers go down you'll always be able to get access to your games.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-03 11:58:13

At 8/2/16 05:39 PM, Jotaro97 wrote: Consoles were relevant when they were just about gaming. Now they become more and more like PCs and are losing their identity. Although it was not immediately made obvious after the PC revolution, PCs were to rule the hardcore market. STEAM alone has more users than both PSN and XLive together. This (console) "war" was one before it began.

Yes, Consoles are becoming more like PCs. Are you trying to say that you think PC is the master race?

To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
- Sun Tzu

That is a nice quote. If consoles are now PCs, does that mean that Consoles are the master Race?

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-03 12:57:26

At 8/3/16 12:27 PM, Jotaro97 wrote:
At 8/3/16 11:58 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: That is a nice quote. If consoles are now PCs, does that mean that Consoles are the master Race?
Consoles are, technically, just uncustomizable PCs, made only for gaming. With every generation now, they lose their identity - that being only for gaming, and become more and more like PCs.

I agree with you, but you did not answer my question.

1. Do you think that PC is the master race? If so, since consoles are PC, that would make them master race as well, Correct?

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-03 13:35:46 (edited 2016-08-03 13:37:25)

I think idea of "PC" needs a little clarification. Cause even macs are PCs(Personal computers) as from ideological so from technical(I mean hardware's the same, even thought not so much customizable, even consoles are the same) side.

Under PC we/you mean set of features like specific OS, hardware customization potential, power consumption footprint etc.. or branding and ideology some kind of?

Otherwise it's kind of foggy thing to argue about, cause the fundamental premises for the whole dialogue are not clear.

Just to make problem of premises being unclear little more clear, say iPad, ARM CPU, GPU etc, low customization potential, low energy footprint, high integration and higher optimization(event thought lower relative performance, relative to computer with high power footprint), personal mobile computing device. Does this count for PC? Same question goes for Mac branded computers, technically identical for non Mac branded ones.

Without clearly stating definition for PC, even for limited context of current point in space and time, the dialog has no base, imho or in other words has not disambiguous enough basis for it to have a conclusion.

(problem of ambiguity is not new and wide spread and in some cases inevitable, so I'm just restating the thing)

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-03 15:23:44

NO

DREAMCAST MASTER RACE

Does the PC have VMUs? I don't think so.

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-03 16:02:37

At 8/3/16 01:35 PM, iv5 wrote: Under PC we/you mean set of features like specific OS, hardware customization potential, power consumption footprint etc.. or branding and ideology some kind of?

For this conversation, a PC consists of a Desktop or Laptop computer. We are not counting phones, or hand held devices.Trying to keep it as simple as possible.

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-03 23:45:24 (edited 2016-08-03 23:45:49)

At 8/3/16 04:02 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: For this conversation, a PC consists of a Desktop or Laptop computer. We are not counting phones, or hand held devices.Trying to keep it as simple as possible.

In this case I think PC is not the master race.

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-04 09:58:33

i've never bought this idea.

imo, what trumps the pc is how mobile and usable as a group the console is. take it over to a friend's house, plug in, 4 people game.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-04 10:56:49

At 8/3/16 01:47 PM, Jotaro97 wrote:
At 8/3/16 12:57 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: 1. Do you think that PC is the master race?
Yeah!

One more vote for PC as the Master race.

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-04 10:59:01

At 8/3/16 03:23 PM, GreenSoap wrote: NO
DREAMCAST MASTER RACE

Give us details about this.

Are VMUs that important?

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-04 11:35:48

At 8/4/16 10:59 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 8/3/16 03:23 PM, GreenSoap wrote: NO
DREAMCAST MASTER RACE
Give us details about this.

Are VMUs that important?

The Dreamcast, it's called that because it CASTS DREAMS. PCs may be able to do a lot of things, some arguably better than the DC, but one thing they simply cannot do is casting dreams.

Some DC games are a lot better with the VMU. You can see important information on it while playing, much like the Wii U controller's screen.

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-04 13:11:21

At 8/3/16 11:45 PM, iv5 wrote:
At 8/3/16 04:02 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: For this conversation, a PC consists of a Desktop or Laptop computer. We are not counting phones, or hand held devices.Trying to keep it as simple as possible.
In this case I think PC is not the master race.

That is fine. You are anti master race PC.

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-04 13:13:38

At 8/4/16 09:58 AM, billybobthwarten wrote: i've never bought this idea.
imo, what trumps the pc is how mobile and usable as a group the console is. take it over to a friend's house, plug in, 4 people game.

Consoles are much more portable than a PC. They are also cheaper than a PC, in case they get damaged or destroyed.

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-04 23:20:10 (edited 2016-08-04 23:22:16)

At 8/4/16 01:11 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: That is fine. You are anti master race PC.

No I'm not anti or pro master race PC (PC by definition, you've made), I think there no race(PC master race) at all, if there was one I won't be against it(why would I be against, what's the point).

(Just making my position clear)

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-05 13:53:31

At 8/4/16 11:35 AM, GreenSoap wrote: The Dreamcast, it's called that because it CASTS DREAMS. PCs may be able to do a lot of things, some arguably better than the DC, but one thing they simply cannot do is casting dreams.

Yes, A PC can not cast dreams. The Dreamcast is the only console that can casts dreams

Some DC games are a lot better with the VMU. You can see important information on it while playing, much like the Wii U controller's screen.

That is a very useful. The Wii U really mastered that ability.

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-05 13:56:09

At 8/4/16 11:20 PM, iv5 wrote:
At 8/4/16 01:11 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: That is fine. You are anti master race PC.
No I'm not anti or pro master race PC , I think there no race(PC master race) at all, if there was one I won't be against it.
(Just making my position clear)

There is nothing wrong with seeing all PCs and consoles are equals. Not one being better than the other.

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-05 16:08:17

Nope, sorry. The most fresh and innovative stuff comes usually on the Japanese consoles/handhelds and they lead the trends for everyone else in the industry (outside MMORPGs and Shooters).

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-05 16:39:34

At 8/5/16 04:08 PM, Ant0on wrote: Nope, sorry. The most fresh and innovative stuff comes usually on the Japanese consoles/handhelds and they lead the trends for everyone else in the industry (outside MMORPGs and Shooters).

You consider consoles and handhelds devices to be the Master race?

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-05 17:13:09 (edited 2016-08-05 17:13:46)

At 8/5/16 04:39 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 8/5/16 04:08 PM, Ant0on wrote: Nope, sorry. The most fresh and innovative stuff comes usually on the Japanese consoles/handhelds and they lead the trends for everyone else in the industry (outside MMORPGs and Shooters).
You consider consoles and handhelds devices to be the Master race?

I guess there is no such thing as Master race, as each one has their flaws. But I do consider the consoels/handhelds having better game libraries.

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-05 17:28:37

PC TO DEATH.

Is PC the Master Race?

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-05 17:29:48

At 8/5/16 05:13 PM, Ant0on wrote: I guess there is no such thing as Master race, as each one has their flaws. But I do consider the consoels/handhelds having better game libraries.

Steam and Origin and emulators. you can literally play any game dating back to PS1.

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-06 02:28:29

At 8/5/16 05:13 PM, Ant0on wrote:
At 8/5/16 04:39 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: You consider consoles and handhelds devices to be the Master race?
I guess there is no such thing as Master race, as each one has their flaws. But I do consider the consoels/handhelds having better game libraries.

Consoles and handhelds have nice libraries, but not the best. PCs have the biggest game libraries due to roms and emulators.

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-06 03:08:38 (edited 2016-08-06 03:11:15)

At 8/6/16 02:28 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 8/5/16 05:13 PM, Ant0on wrote:
At 8/5/16 04:39 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: You consider consoles and handhelds devices to be the Master race?
Consoles and handhelds have nice libraries, but not the best. PCs have the biggest game libraries due to roms and emulators.

lol emulators arent valid in this argument. 1) its illegal 2) you have to own the original game if you want to emulate it.
Not to mention how bad the framerate and sound is in most modern emulator games.

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-06 08:13:00

Emulators are completely legal if it's a game that's out of production and it's ROMS that are illegal though emulators are which is weird.but regardless PC has a larger library since developers are porting old games to Steam and Origin unlike the Xbox and PS and with console sales going down and PC version's coming out Day 1 with consoles. Plus you getc more money entertainment for your buck on PC

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-06 10:35:21

At 8/5/16 05:29 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 8/5/16 05:13 PM, Ant0on wrote: I guess there is no such thing as Master race, as each one has their flaws. But I do consider the consoels/handhelds having better game libraries.
Steam and Origin and emulators. you can literally play any game dating back to PS1.

Yes, this is a valid statement. PC has the power of emulation, which gives a larger gaming library.

BBS Signature

Response to Is PC the Master Race? 2016-08-06 11:34:46 (edited 2016-08-06 11:36:41)

At 8/6/16 10:35 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Yes, this is a valid statement. PC has the power of emulation, which gives a larger gaming library.

the only "reason" it's "illegal" is because some old people are supposedly "Losing Money" because people are playing their games for free. grabbing an .ISO or ROM from the internet is not stealing THEFT: theft is the taking of another person's property without that person's permission or consent with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of it. downloading a copy of a game by definition is not theft it is making a copy of the original loaders original legitimate copy of the game and not depriving said individual of it and playing it for my personal use I am not making copies of it so I can sell them to other individuals (which is legitimate Copyright Infringement).

but yes PC has the biggest library and is the best I have a machine thats lasted me 6 years and I could get another 3 due to upgrading with another GPU if I wanted but I'm going with Intel/NVIDIA's latest hardware architecture.