00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I'm in need of inspiration

479 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm in need of inspiration 2016-06-22 07:23:37

Recently I've been trying to create new artwork that is different from my usual work. However, even though I've been trying new things I'm becoming bored with the art I'm creating. Is this common amungst young artists? Shouldn't we be filled with ideas and inspiration? I used to love drawing everything I could think of. Now its more of a chore than anything. Don't get me wrong I love drawing, I always will. I just want that feeling of accomplishment I used to get when I was younger. Looking at my art now I can see the improvements I've made. However, I don't get as excited over it as much as I used to. Does anyone have any ideas on what methods I could try to keep myself pumped up every time I start a new drawing?

Response to I'm in need of inspiration 2016-06-22 09:11:23

At 6/22/16 07:23 AM, Crush9allthetime wrote: Recently I've been trying to create new artwork that is different from my usual work. However, even though I've been trying new things I'm becoming bored with the art I'm creating. Is this common amungst young artists? Shouldn't we be filled with ideas and inspiration? I used to love drawing everything I could think of. Now its more of a chore than anything. Don't get me wrong I love drawing, I always will. I just want that feeling of accomplishment I used to get when I was younger. Looking at my art now I can see the improvements I've made. However, I don't get as excited over it as much as I used to. Does anyone have any ideas on what methods I could try to keep myself pumped up every time I start a new drawing?

New gear! Shiny new pencils/artbooks/equipment is a huge boost to my can't-stop-drawing-me :D

Maybe you get bored, because you don't like your new artwork/style?

I have a friend on deviantart (that is a young artist too). She suffers from the same problem. Maybe this is a "young-artist-problem".
I never had to deal with it, I'm obessively in love with my art.
Getting inspired from my idols usually helps me getting super motivated. Same as watching tutorials and such.
I remember beeing in the same situation as I was a kid, always looking for accomplishments. As I grew older my parents didn't compliment me every time I drew something. In my teenage years I used to show my art off to classmates to get some warm words. Social media helped me a lot, since you meet there a lot of likeminded people like you.
But I never got bored with the art I was creating. I'm so sorry, that I'm not much of a help, but I feel with you. I had to deal with art-blocks from time to time.
It really helped me doing something completely different. When I didn't know what to draw, I did starting photography and as I came back my art-block was gone.
Hope you'll get over this soon and enjoy the making of your art again! ; u ;
*hugs*

Hi,

I don't think age is a problem. It's natural to shift interests and try different things when you are younger. You are finding yourself and that's a good thing, not a problem :)

I've checked your gallery. I like your style and I think you need to focus more on a story instead of finished, polished piece. Like you did in some of the images.

It doesn't have to be some epic, super original story. All storylines are written many years ago. Add you own interpretation, some twists, put your characters in some fun situations. Make them say, do, feel something. It will push you to draw and enjoy it again. That helped me.

Response to I'm in need of inspiration 2016-06-22 12:14:40

At 6/22/16 07:23 AM, Crush9allthetime wrote: Recently I've been trying to create new artwork that is different from my usual work. However, even though I've been trying new things I'm becoming bored with the art I'm creating. Is this common amungst young artists? Shouldn't we be filled with ideas and inspiration? I used to love drawing everything I could think of. Now its more of a chore than anything. Don't get me wrong I love drawing, I always will. I just want that feeling of accomplishment I used to get when I was younger. Looking at my art now I can see the improvements I've made. However, I don't get as excited over it as much as I used to. Does anyone have any ideas on what methods I could try to keep myself pumped up every time I start a new drawing?

I think it's a thing that happens to all artists, young and old. Every now and then people lose their excitement in their work. What I do when I get into a funk, is to pick a couple of random words and then draw them together. Switching up mediums can help, as well as setting up a still life.

Hopefully you get out of your funk soon >u@

Response to I'm in need of inspiration 2016-06-22 13:11:15

Yeah, that's a natural experience to have from time to time. Besides what others have said, what I usually do to get out of that state of mind, is to try new things or programs, like explore outside your medium, for me sometimes I mess around with animating or start doing pottery. Another thing I do is like finding some art challenge list somewhere on google and do a few out. Also looking at your gallery, it seems like you created a world/characters and wanted to make comics, I would suggest you should just start on it.

Response to I'm in need of inspiration 2016-06-22 20:30:29

Thank you for for the support, i haven't bought any art supplies in a long time. I'm not sure if that will boost my motivation, but it will at least make me want to try out all the materials which can be used on new and different ideas for drawings :) Thanks again, have a good day!
*hug*

Response to I'm in need of inspiration 2016-06-22 20:54:43

This happens in any creative field. Writer's block, artists block, that sort of thing.

I love to write, when things get stagnant, I need to change things up.
A change in venue can help. Change up the music you listen to, go somewhere new to practice drawing that you don't normally go, like a park the beach ( If you're near one)

Also, look at other aspects of your personal life. If you've got added stress, fatigue or unbalance, it can throw off your creativity.

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to I'm in need of inspiration 2016-06-22 22:02:01

At 6/22/16 09:35 AM, HugoTendaz wrote: Hi,

I don't think age is a problem. It's natural to shift interests and try different things when you are younger. You are finding yourself and that's a good thing, not a problem :)

I've checked your gallery. I like your style and I think you need to focus more on a story instead of finished, polished piece. Like you did in some of the images.

It doesn't have to be some epic, super original story. All storylines are written many years ago. Add you own interpretation, some twists, put your characters in some fun situations. Make them say, do, feel something. It will push you to draw and enjoy it again. That helped me.

Thanks for helping out :) i understand stories won't always be one hundred percent original. you do make a good point about making my own interpretations of stories that have been created way back when haha. There's always something fun about changing stories the way you'd like them to be told. So making comics about interesting concepts and different takes on stories people love is a good motivation :) Thanks again for helping me out, have a good day!

First off, definitely other artists; pretty sure it's been mentioned before.

However, I'm gonna be a little more specific.

Personally, I follow Jazza; he has a sort of free, down-to-earth level of inspiration that makes me want to do something whenever I look at his videos. I figured out a significant amount of my current fundamentals thanks to him.

It's one of those feelings that reassures you that whatever you do, even if it's something random in this moment, that just doing it is always a step forward.

I'm not saying to specifically follow Jazza, as there's many artists that can give a similar effect. It's definitely nice to stop and look around though, and you might find something or someone that always speaks to you.

Also, my "method": it's weird, but I'd say become your artwork. Channel what you feel or what you want to feel into what you do, and worry about the technicalities later. I'm honestly not sure how well this could work for you, as I'm personally pretty eccentric, and this is more second nature than habitual. If I draw someone with sheer determination on their face, my own expression becomes focused. If they look smug, I wear an arrogant smirk like 75% of the time drawing.

There are times where I tell myself having enough personality in everything, from the face to the lines, will make up for whatever shortcomings I have, which can keep me motivated a bit longer. Improvement's a constant, as long as you keep doing. Technicalities come after you have a good foundation.

Out of everything in your gallery, I love Red Fists the most (followed up by that nsfw one woopwoopwoop). The action and the expression speak beyond your technical skill as an artist (said skill is freakin' amazing by the way), and I'm pretty sure you had to feel some of that expressiveness when you were making it.

You said you were trying new things, right? I'd say go to sheer extremes, like scenarios that'd absolutely piss off your characters beyond comprehension, ooooor something less negative, but still incredibly expressive in as many forms as possible. Maybe recreate scenes from cartoons that gave you goosebumps because they were that damn cool. A lot of your stuff, whileincrediblywell done, feels "neutral".

I'm just starting out digitally, though, so take my opinions with a grain of salt, and sorry for taking up all this space! (also I noticed we're the same age xD)

BBS Signature

Response to I'm in need of inspiration 2016-06-23 06:34:11

Young artist too ( same age too lol) And this sort of thing happened to me very recently, quite frankly i felt shit about my art, what helped me was so simple, as someone else here mentioned buying new supplies, i did just that, i got a lovely fancy mechanical pencil. And i swear its done me wonders, its boosted my confidence and inspiration for some reason. So i highly recommend you do that, treat yourself for once!

Response to I'm in need of inspiration 2016-06-23 11:18:30

Funny that these same things happened to me (or probably still is happening, I dunno!).

My advice: never give up, and keep on practicing!

I don't think I've met or known an artist who is inspired all the time. Even the professionals get burned out from time to time. If art is starting to become a chore to you, then maybe you might want to take a break? It sounds counter-productive, but trust me, this can help. Sometimes I get into 'draw-like-crazy' mode for two weeks, and then the next week (or sometimes an entire month) I won't draw anything at all, then go back drawing. It feels different when you get back, and your perspective changes a little as well.

I've been drawing for over 7 years now. I can draw pretty decently, and now I am happy with whatever I draw even if I struggle a bit in the process. However, that wasn't the case for me if you time-travel a few years back. I felt miserable because I sucked at the fundamentals, and every art I made wasn't even close to being satisfactory. And so, for the next 3 years, I devoted myself to do nothing but drawing studies and practice. At that time, I have never made a single artwork worthy of submission, but I did fill up an entire sketchbook's worth of studies and practice sketches.

Also, I have a dedicated sketchbook that I use to draw anything that I want, like literally. Whenever I get bored, I open that sketchbook and I simply start drawing really crazy things like GirlxGirl hentai love, BDSM, fishbowl perspective, burger spaceships and anything I really like to draw even if I draw it in a very crappy way. I don't have to worry about other people looking and judging at the quality of what I draw, because it's a personal sketchbook that only I can get to see (or my parents if they see it by accident, lol). That way, I can spark my imagination and improve my confidence in drawing...in preparation for a more serious illustration piece later on.

So yeah, that's it from me. Keep on drawing!
It takes many many years to get good, but it's worth the hard work and the effort!