00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bishopdown just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fucking buzzwords

1,671 Views | 21 Replies

Buzzwords really get to me these days.

Shit like "hacks" and whatever.

Easily the worst of them is "leaked" though.

Like a company will say for months; "oh on such and such a date expect news from upcoming product, and a demonstration video."

Then that day comes and headlines read "LEAKED INFORMATION ON NEW PRODUCT"

Like, no. When something's "leaked" someone either stole information or someone from within released it without permission and are probably now jobless.

Your "leaked" video link comes directly from the company's Youtube account.

Stop with the buzzwords.

Ok thanks media.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 00:47:45 (edited 2016-05-16 00:48:28)

At 5/16/16 12:42 AM, Bryan wrote: Huh. When I think of buzzwords I think of something like "hipster" or "autism"

See my point below, but these are buzzwords to incite anger, not interest.

"Leaked" is actually a pretty useful word.

It can be, but it's misused alot. I'm making this thread because I saw another Pokemon GO "leak".

The Panama Papers were leaked. They were big and nobody was supposed to know, in theory.

A video game was not "leaked", the developers are showing it off on purpose.

At 5/16/16 12:41 AM, zornuzkull wrote: What the hell is a buzzword?

A phrase that is used by people and media to incite emotion, usually interest. You see it alot in clickbait articles

BBS Signature

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 00:50:47

At 5/16/16 12:41 AM, zornuzkull wrote: What the hell is a buzzword?

In fact, by titling this "Fucking Buzzwords", I've created an accidental oxymoron, making you interested in what I'm so peeved about.

What an ironic demonstration.

BBS Signature

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 00:58:01

autism alert

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 03:03:56

At 5/16/16 01:45 AM, Sekhem wrote: guys, i really hate words

i'm working up an awful hate storm here at my desk

FUCK WORDS

these young kids and their yolos, baes, selfies, DP/BBC, emojis...

what will the world become...

holla if you hear me

No but he's not saying words are bad if used correctly. He's just saying people look like damn idiots when they use words they clearly don't understand the meaning of, only because they "sound important" or to get attention.

It's like idiots who spout off all these acronyms and don't have a clue what any of them stand for. Protip: If someone uses excessive acronyms odds are they have no idea what they're talking about and they hope the use of excessive acronyms masks this.

If you want to use words incorrectly, fine, but you're not going to sound professional if you do so, and people won't take you seriously.

Using words incorrectly merely serves to cheapen the value of those words and to make them meaningless. @Bryan is correct with his examples of "hipster" and "autism", and @WahyaRanger2 is also correct with his examples of "hacks" and "leaked" (He did elaborate so there should be precisely zero confusion as to the exact context he takes issue with -- that being the incorrect media dumbass usage of the word)

You could argue language evolves and changes over time and blah blah. I could argue that, while that is so, you're still going to look like an idiot if you frequently use words incorrectly, especially if you have no clue about the standard meaning. You could choose to speak in lingos and dialects, and so long as you're aware that's what you're doing or have intended purpose for it, fine, but don't expect majority of people to take you seriously if you do.

tl;dr -- WahyaRanger2 has a point.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 07:52:49

Hmm, your life sounds a little too mainstream.
You should lay off on your side dish of Facebook, and read a book or two.

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 07:55:34

I don't know what a buzzword really is, but these all sound pretty on fleek to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 08:04:07

Am I the only one who expected Tumblr Leftards in this thread?

because buzzwords

If Friendship is truly Magic, then I'm little more than a muggle in this regard...

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 11:07:20

At 5/16/16 07:52 AM, MuramasasEdge wrote: Hmm, your life sounds a little too mainstream.

When did you become such a bitter little shit?

I know like, Bit and Cordyceps dawged you about your art, but don't take that out on me.

K thanks

BBS Signature

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 11:26:15

At 5/16/16 11:07 AM, WahyaRanger2 wrote:
At 5/16/16 07:52 AM, MuramasasEdge wrote: Hmm, your life sounds a little too mainstream.
When did you become such a bitter little shit?

Interdasting...
You wouldn't believe the shit storm that's been raging in my head about what to post here.
I figured it was a level headed thing to say.

I know like, Bit and Cordyceps dawged you about your art, but don't take that out on me.

I wasn't aware of Cordyceps hating on me.
Such news brings me into despair.
Suck my dick @Cordyceps
I thought we was cool.

K thanks

No, you're not welcome.

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 11:30:48

At 5/16/16 11:26 AM, MuramasasEdge wrote: No, you're not welcome.

Very fourth grade, inspiring

BBS Signature

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 11:39:29

I feel like this is a stretch, but 'literally' is becoming a buzzword

"THIS MAN LITERALLY KILLED A PERSON"
"WATCH THIS GUY LITERALLY DIE"
"MAN IS LITERALLY BURNED ALIVE"

and then when you click the article strictly out of curiosity, it's just some dude being roasted in a rap battle.

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 11:51:17

At 5/16/16 11:30 AM, WahyaRanger2 wrote:
At 5/16/16 11:26 AM, MuramasasEdge wrote: No, you're not welcome.
Very fourth grade, inspiring

It's good to know that you look up to me.

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 17:42:11

At 5/16/16 12:37 AM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: Easily the worst of them is "leaked" though.

So what word should they use instead?

"Dripped"? "Trickled"? "Squirted"? (lol)

What do they call it when you intentionally release a little bit of water from the hose?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 17:44:00

At 5/16/16 05:42 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 5/16/16 12:37 AM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: Easily the worst of them is "leaked" though.
So what word should they use instead?

"Dripped"? "Trickled"? "Squirted"? (lol)

What do they call it when you intentionally release a little bit of water from the hose?

When it's intentionally? You trickle it, or release it.

When your hose has a hole that you didn't want there, it's leaking.

Therefore new information was released.

BBS Signature

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 18:09:00

buzzwords are often misused or overused words by dumb people to get the attention of other dumb people.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 18:11:42

At 5/16/16 06:09 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: buzzwords are often misused or overused words by dumb people to get the attention of other dumb people.

"New CoD trailer leaked"

BBS Signature

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 18:13:51

At 5/16/16 06:11 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote:
At 5/16/16 06:09 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: buzzwords are often misused or overused words by dumb people to get the attention of other dumb people.
"New CoD trailer leaked"

pro tip, squeeze toothpaste from the bottom. life hack!!!

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 18:15:06

At 5/16/16 06:13 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: pro tip, squeeze toothpaste from the bottom. life hack!!!

This guy gets it

BBS Signature

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 18:47:34 (edited 2016-05-16 18:53:06)

At 5/16/16 05:42 PM, Painbringer wrote: "Dripped"? "Trickled"? "Squirted"? (lol)

I think you missed the boat on this one.

He's not saying "fuck this word for being in the English language". He's criticizing how overly saturated certain kinds of articles are, and how drawn to them society is (because it's always at the expense of someone else)

At 5/16/16 11:39 AM, BrandonIsNear wrote: I feel like this is a stretch, but 'literally' is becoming a buzzword

"THIS MAN LITERALLY KILLED A PERSON"
"WATCH THIS GUY LITERALLY DIE"
"MAN IS LITERALLY BURNED ALIVE"

and then when you click the article strictly out of curiosity, it's just some dude being roasted in a rap battle.

You wanna see some (literally) hilarious shit? Literally now apparently means both "literally", and hyperbole.

Fucking buzzwords

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-16 19:11:19

Privilege and liberal are not only annoying but dangerous. I have a thread that details the difference between the word privilege and advantage and explains why it's counterproductive to confuse them. As far as liberal, it's very dangerous to use this word because self-proclaimed liberals and those that see it as a derogatory term are referring to wholly different traits and characteristics.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Fucking buzzwords 2016-05-17 17:20:38

At 5/17/16 02:52 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: used to mean joyous, now means homosexual.

So.... clickbait articles changed the meaning of gay?

BBS Signature