00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

vestik just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writing Help?

497 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Writing Help? 2016-05-13 13:24:41

So there's a story in my head that I've slowly been trying to prefect for the past year or two, and I finally think I settled on the main plot. I want to animate it, which is fine, but the problem is the writing/script. I have never attempted creating a script for an animation before, since I only have ever completed small parts for collaborations and stupid dancing cat videos. So, this is essentially my first 'real' animation with an actual script with characters, dialogue, and voice acting.

Does anyone have any tips or advice? I have little to no idea where to start in terms for writing, since I really want to perfect the story I want to convey and the main obstacle is basically just the script (which is just as important as the animation itself).

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Help? 2016-05-13 17:32:33

At 5/13/16 01:24 PM, Meowberry wrote:
Does anyone have any tips or advice? I have little to no idea where to start in terms for writing, since I really want to perfect the story I want to convey and the main obstacle is basically just the script (which is just as important as the animation itself).

It's awesome to see someone taking the writing as seriously as other aspects of the production. You could pick a portion/scenario of the story and finish that to give yourself a milestone or you could just go all out on hammering out the story before production begins. I have yet to a time in my writing experience (over ten years) that is "perfect". All I think one can do, is their best in the confines of the deadline.

Response to Writing Help? 2016-05-13 21:36:57

Try starting with a skeleton script-just writing the basics from start to finish of how you'd like it to flow/what to happen in short notes, then think a bit like how long it'll be, how many scenes you will have etc, then just build it up from there-hope that helps m8 and good luck!

Response to Writing Help? 2016-05-13 22:51:25

At 5/13/16 09:36 PM, adammartin wrote:
Try starting with a skeleton script-just writing the basics from start to finish of how you'd like it to flow/what to happen in short notes, then think a bit like how long it'll be, how many scenes you will have etc, then just build it up from there-hope that helps m8 and good luck!

That sounds like an amazing idea! Kind of like storyboarding, but with writing. I almost feel stupid for neglecting the basics and overlooking that, which seems really important. Thank you!

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Help? 2016-05-14 17:01:35 (edited 2016-05-14 17:04:21)

I can help too, if you like. Think of writing a script/story/whatever like constructing a sentence.

you have a sentence like this:

-

The blue carbuncle is royal and fine, and leaves little to the imagination as per its brilliance.

-

and you pare it down with a scalpel, to its basic elements, kind of like this:

-

The carbuncle shines.

-

Then look at the sentence/script again with a fresh eye, and see what differences need to be added back in, if any, and how best they function and in which places, with a nod to mechanics and grammar and such.

You can take the parts that HAVE to be there and organize them into small concise sentences, in a proto outline. Make lists of things you need to add, if you like.

flesh it out as needed until everything you NEED to be in there is in there, in a way you can understand and remember for when you want to apply it to the actual writing. don't be afraid to cut, or to keep! And most of all, don't be afraid to step out on that tricky limb. It's just a fall. ;)

;)

Please donate Orbs to the Fen'Harel Appreciation Fund.

Response to Writing Help? 2016-06-06 00:43:24

At 6/5/16 11:35 PM, Korriken wrote: I've been working on a couple of things myself, the best I can tell you is write a rough draft.

With your rough draft, don't worry too much on descriptions as much as you do the overall plot and character interactions (if any). Then revise it until you're happy with it, then work on a final draft, adding in all the shining details.

Or if you just intend to animate it, you can skip that last step if you're doing your own animation and never intend to publish/release/etc a written version.

Yeah, I intend to animate it so I'm aiming more for a script than an actual story. Thanks for your suggestion, though!

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Help? 2016-06-06 20:58:06

At 5/13/16 01:24 PM, Meowberry wrote: So there's a story in my head that I've slowly been trying to prefect for the past year or two, and I finally think I settled on the main plot. I want to animate it, which is fine, but the problem is the writing/script. I have never attempted creating a script for an animation before, since I only have ever completed small parts for collaborations and stupid dancing cat videos. So, this is essentially my first 'real' animation with an actual script with characters, dialogue, and voice acting.

Id be down to jump in as script supervisor, co-writing, or continuity supervisor.

www.brianhsufilm.com
brianxhsu@gmail.com

Writing Help?

Response to Writing Help? 2016-06-06 22:01:18 (edited 2016-06-06 22:02:17)

At 6/6/16 08:58 PM, mrxxbrian wrote: Id be down to jump in as script supervisor, co-writing, or continuity supervisor.

www.brianhsufilm.com
brianxhsu@gmail.com

You misunderstand. I'm not asking for you to help me write the script, I wanted help so that I could write it. I was asking for advice, which had already been clarified.

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Help? 2016-06-06 22:27:55 (edited 2016-06-06 22:32:43)

At 6/6/16 10:01 PM, Meowberry wrote:
At 6/6/16 08:58 PM, mrxxbrian wrote: Id be down to jump in as script supervisor, co-writing, or continuity supervisor.

www.brianhsufilm.com
brianxhsu@gmail.com
You misunderstand. I'm not asking for you to help me write the script, I wanted help so that I could write it. I was asking for advice, which had already been clarified.

That is what the script supervisor or continuity supervisor does. They don't write for you, they help you give resource, suggestions and ideas to the screenwriter, whether broad or precise.

It was something I was offering where we would discuss one on one in details rather than short tips on the forum. But good to hear it's already been clarified for you.

Response to Writing Help? 2016-06-06 22:42:10

At 6/6/16 10:27 PM, mrxxbrian wrote: It was something I was offering where we would discuss one on one in details rather than short tips on the forum. But good to hear it's already been clarified for you.

My deepest apologies, I totally thought that those were closely related. QwQ;
But either way, I probably should have made it more clear that I want to work alone. Sorry for the confusion!

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature