00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Creating an audio skill database?

2,915 Views | 29 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I would love to get your thoughts on this.

I would like to create an audio skill database, basically a compendium of things we can record or do musically (X plays piano, Y plays harp, etc.). The intention is so that anyone who needs help with instrumental parts, vocal parts etc. would be able to go and find whom to talk to, and ask for rates or ask if the project can be done pro bono.

This'll likely figure in a massive newspost or something, like an index page -- that's how I see it taking shape for the moment.

I think anyone can apply for this -- the more the better! -- because it'd be nice for us to help each other. At least, that's what I think. What do you folks think of an idea like this? Is there anything I would need to consider?

EDIT: Tagging a few users here because I think this would probably concern us all.

@frootza @Step @LucidShadowDreamer @steampianist @MetalRenard @Anarkat @sorohanro @samulis @camoshark @Nimble @Phyrnna @headphoamz @etherealwinds @RealFaction

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-15 07:08:34

At 4/15/16 06:54 AM, Troisnyx wrote: I would love to get your thoughts on this.

I would like to create an audio skill database, basically a compendium of things we can record or do musically (X plays piano, Y plays harp, etc.). The intention is so that anyone who needs help with instrumental parts, vocal parts etc. would be able to go and find whom to talk to, and ask for rates or ask if the project can be done pro bono.

This'll likely figure in a massive newspost or something, like an index page -- that's how I see it taking shape for the moment.

I think anyone can apply for this -- the more the better! -- because it'd be nice for us to help each other. At least, that's what I think. What do you folks think of an idea like this? Is there anything I would need to consider?

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1325516

Would be cool to have a nice clean list of user - instruments available though instead of trawling through threads though.

BBS Signature

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-15 07:09:56

i can do really shitty music, is that a skill?
(on a serious note: it's a nice idea having everything in one thread)

Suck my kick!

BBS Signature

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-15 07:20:33

At 4/15/16 07:08 AM, Bafana wrote:
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1325516

Would be cool to have a nice clean list of user - instruments available though instead of trawling through threads though.

I'm going to start up a master post, for those who haven't posted anything in that thread. It was fairly short-lived, but I love the spirit behind it.

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-15 07:26:52

This is currently where it's at.
http://troisnyx.newgrounds.com/news/post/958861

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-15 16:06:34

if it worked it would be cool, but it would need a "quick preview" feature imo.

for example you go to vocal recording part and find a bunch of users. you have no way of knowing how good the users are, so thee should be something where you can click a button next to their name and instantly hear something that user has uploaded to be their preview.

that way you wont have to spend a long time browsing something like "piano players" but randomly weeding through "piano players" who sound like they just started piano 5 minutes ago.

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-15 16:23:28

At 4/15/16 04:06 PM, Rennh wrote: if it worked it would be cool, but it would need a "quick preview" feature imo.

for example you go to vocal recording part and find a bunch of users. you have no way of knowing how good the users are, so thee should be something where you can click a button next to their name and instantly hear something that user has uploaded to be their preview.

that way you wont have to spend a long time browsing something like "piano players" but randomly weeding through "piano players" who sound like they just started piano 5 minutes ago.

That is why, thus far, I've only linked the competent ones. For example, every pianist you hear there is skilled. Every. Single One.

I think the other thing to note is that currently, NG's news post feature doesn't allow tables. I would be most delighted if it did, because that'd mean I'd be able to put in links to a few samples, and also to ascertain whether they take up pro bono work, paid work or both. Right now, as the post stands, while it is a consolidation of all the users who competently play instruments, sing etc., a lot of it relies on exploration and private messaging, liaising with the users themselves.

@BrenTheMan I wonder if a table feature could be put in the news post editor one day for this sort of thing, but not only for this sort of thing -- contest times and deadlines will probably also need something like this.

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-15 21:10:00

@Troisnyx, you awesome person! Probably the awesomest newgrounder.

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-16 03:56:48

At 4/15/16 09:10 PM, sorohanro wrote: @Troisnyx, you awesome person! Probably the awesomest newgrounder.

Eh. I just wanted us to help each other, that's all.

At 4/16/16 03:56 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 4/15/16 09:10 PM, sorohanro wrote: @Troisnyx, you awesome person! Probably the awesomest newgrounder.

*lots of hugs*
You are more awesomester than me~ <3

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-16 06:10:27

At 4/16/16 05:53 AM, Phyrnna wrote:
At 4/16/16 03:56 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
*lots of hugs*
You are more awesomester than me~ <3

Phyrnna... I most certainly don't feel it, but thank you. <3

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-16 11:44:22

Great idea! I probably won't be anywhere on that list but it's a good initiative.
Also, I don't believe that users get a notification when you tag them in an edit, so you might wanna tag again.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-16 11:46:08

At 4/16/16 11:44 AM, Oakwood wrote: Great idea! I probably won't be anywhere on that list but it's a good initiative.
Also, I don't believe that users get a notification when you tag them in an edit, so you might wanna tag again.

There are a lot of users whose name figured in this post, but I'll tag them again probably here with a link to that actual post to see what they have to say about it. Admittedly @Anarkat did a lot of the tagging in the comments section, so some people were alerted to the post anyway, but I may do it again.

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-16 12:18:38

At 4/16/16 12:15 PM, TheDukeofJuke wrote: Is there anything for atmosphere? Cause I can set the setting, dude. Know whatta mean?

I know you can be a bit less vague than that.

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-20 05:14:48

The master post is coming along nicely -- all I need now is an effective signature to direct anyone who may be looking for vocalists, instrumentalists, or just simply to collab, onto that page.

Trying to make one, but I can't think of an effective choice of words.

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-20 05:37:59

I'm really good at telling people they suck!

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-20 05:47:53

At 4/20/16 05:37 AM, johnfn wrote: I'm really good at telling people they suck!

That's precisely what we don't need.

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-20 13:37:42

At 4/15/16 04:23 PM, Troisnyx wrote: That is why, thus far, I've only linked the competent ones. For example, every pianist you hear there is skilled. Every. Single One.

Might be a good idea to have some sort of competence rating. When someone does something well for someone else, that someone gets a point.
Something along those lines, anyway.

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-20 16:23:14

At 4/20/16 01:37 PM, Gragon73 wrote:
At 4/15/16 04:23 PM, Troisnyx wrote: That is why, thus far, I've only linked the competent ones. For example, every pianist you hear there is skilled. Every. Single One.
Might be a good idea to have some sort of competence rating. When someone does something well for someone else, that someone gets a point.
Something along those lines, anyway.

Hm, it is good fundamentally -- I just don't want it to be skewed by instances where people get ignored for others, because that can happen with collabs. The more a person gets ignored, the fewer points he will have, and the more he will be ignored. It's a vicious cycle.

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-20 16:47:03

At 4/20/16 04:23 PM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 4/20/16 01:37 PM, Gragon73 wrote: Something along those lines, anyway.
Hm, it is good fundamentally -- I just don't want it to be skewed by instances where people get ignored for others, because that can happen with collabs. The more a person gets ignored, the fewer points he will have, and the more he will be ignored. It's a vicious cycle.

We would definitely need to refine it before putting it into action for that reason.

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-22 18:19:19

Hey there!

I'm interested to be part of it. It's a good idea! I play piano, guitare, and compose electronic music.

With this kind of thread, those who are looking for musicians will be able to go on this topic and select among the list the user they want to work with instead of creating a new post asking for random musicians to be part of their projects. It sounds good.

I'm not as skilled as the musicians you @Troisnyx put on the OP, but I can do a decent work if someone needs a particular type of ambiance on a personalized song.

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-22 18:29:23

At 4/22/16 06:19 PM, sebastien01 wrote: Hey there!

I'm interested to be part of it. It's a good idea! I play piano, guitare, and compose electronic music.

With this kind of thread, those who are looking for musicians will be able to go on this topic and select among the list the user they want to work with instead of creating a new post asking for random musicians to be part of their projects. It sounds good.

I'm not as skilled as the musicians you @Troisnyx put on the OP, but I can do a decent work if someone needs a particular type of ambiance on a personalized song.

No trouble at all -- that's what collaboration is for. I'll put your name in the next time I log in to my PC.

By the way, when you say guitar, do you mean acoustic, electric or both?

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-22 18:43:41

At 4/22/16 06:29 PM, Troisnyx wrote:
No trouble at all -- that's what collaboration is for. I'll put your name in the next time I log in to my PC.

By the way, when you say guitar, do you mean acoustic, electric or both?

That's cool! I play electric and acoustic guitare but I don't have good enough mics to record acoustic, so let's say electric guitare only. I have only one little funk loop on my audio profile, I will upload some more in the next weeks to have something to show if someone want a guitare composition :)

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-23 05:02:51

At 4/22/16 06:43 PM, sebastien01 wrote: That's cool! I play electric and acoustic guitare but I don't have good enough mics to record acoustic, so let's say electric guitare only. I have only one little funk loop on my audio profile, I will upload some more in the next weeks to have something to show if someone want a guitare composition :)

Right, I've put your name in.

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-23 06:25:38

I don't mind lending a hand.

Electric Guitar, Mixing/Mastering

BBS Signature

Great idea ! Unfortunately, I don't feel comfortable enough with anything to be added to the list, but yeah, having a place where we can find musicians to work with will probably be useful to a lot of people.

Maybe listing the styles the member is comfortable with could help, but since there's no way to use tables in news posts, it would probably become a real mess very fast if we keep adding details. ^^

Sentient-ish thingy that likes making music. | My audio submissions | My Youtube channel

BBS Signature

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-23 08:24:56

At 4/23/16 06:25 AM, Migashi wrote: I don't mind lending a hand.

Electric Guitar, Mixing/Mastering

I've put you down. Thanks for letting me know~

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-25 20:35:28

@Anarkat In your link to the master post you mentioned instrument makers. I know we've got the VST makers coming along but I wonder... Is anyone on NG an actual instrument craftsman? Doubtful, but wouldn't it be awesome?

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-04-25 20:43:25

At 4/25/16 08:38 PM, Anarkat wrote:
At 4/25/16 08:35 PM, Troisnyx wrote: @Anarkat In your link to the master post you mentioned instrument makers. I know we've got the VST makers coming along but I wonder... Is anyone on NG an actual instrument craftsman? Doubtful, but wouldn't it be awesome?
i think maybe camoshark, samulis or sorohanro...

yes it would be awesome.

i should correct the description. sorry.

Aah, don't worry about it. Maybe we should persuade people who are interested? The only trouble is actually getting raw materials and stuff.

I do have a little bit of a confession to make. I've always wanted to at least craft a drum.

Response to Creating an audio skill database? 2016-05-05 21:32:16

Definitely a must have for those who are skilled in non-virtual instruments (I can't believe I had to write non-virtual).

Even electronic artists can sometimes use a recording of live instruments to enhance a project ;)

This is crucial because everyone has a specific skill set on NG.

I hope this idea will get some support!