00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Panama Papers

2,755 Views | 24 Replies

The Panama Papers 2016-04-03 21:49:03

Fellow members of the Newgrounds community, we are now experiencing the largest data leak of all time known as the The Panama Papers. The 3 TB leak is basically a huge showcase of money laundering and tax evasion from various political leaders such as Putin and members of the Icelantic government, as well as celebrities. With this leak there will definitely be investigations and I believe there's still more leaks to come. More sources here: x x x

i am going to make it through this year if it kills me

BBS Signature

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-03 22:03:49

I'm not trusting any links from newgrounds forums

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-03 23:12:45

Yeah, I hard about that. I can't really say I'm surprised by any of it, though.

Corrupt and shady government officials trying to stash their extra cash so they don't pay taxes? I mean, who would have thought such a thing would occur in this day and age.

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-04 16:51:40

At 4/4/16 12:45 AM, Drinze wrote: George Soros's foundation funded this leak. Real happy to see that George Soros, the man who helped create the refugee crisis, take a stand against political corruption.

Likewise, so am I.

Hehehehe, it's not spelling good news for the Tories. First Iain Duncan Smith left, and now David Cameron's late father was implicated in these papers (among a few other people). These are interesting times, but also scary times because we don't often know what any attempt at resignation will lead to.

British figures aside, I took a look at the list of people whose names were mentioned. Is it safe for me to say that some people are currently crapping their pants?

But as I can disdainfully say, one set of rules for the rich, and another for the poor.

@Tacticat

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-04 20:52:06

At 4/4/16 05:22 PM, Anarkat wrote:
I'm extremely happy that shitheads like Putin, Xi Jinping, Assad, Dave Cameron, Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson and Fifa fuckers got buttfucked and exposed in the leak. However, if Western media used this as a reason to shield US/Canada assholes then this leak is meaningless.

I have heard that income inequality in the U.S. is the worst it has been since the 1920s. That inequality didn't disappear until the Great Depression. Let us hope that income inequality wasn't a primary reason for the Depression, or we may be screwed in the near term.

Anyway, I wonder if America's inequality is related to the Panama Papers.

At the same time, I am hearing talk that the Western 1% is being protected against this, but I am not sure the source is reliable. Somehow, though, I expect things to get worse for the American 99% before they get better.

I believe in the ultimate triumph of evil over good in this world.

It doesn't help that we keep funding our enemies.

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-04 22:31:49

So long as my own parents or family aren't on them (so far as I've looked, they aren't), I don't care much for it. People with wealth and power will always seek to increase their assets, whether legally or not...that's just how it is. Society is so focused on money and influence these days, and the Panama Papers being released will not change that.

TracyJackson

-EcG member for CSGO-

Attorney, Gamer, Sport Fan, PhD student (future Senator, maybe?)

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-04 22:58:47

Some of this isn't corruption or even illegal. Unethical? Maybe, but having offshore accounts isn't illegal necessarily. Don't get too wound up about this.

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-04 23:44:25

At 4/4/16 10:58 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote: Some of this isn't corruption or even illegal. Unethical? Maybe, but having offshore accounts isn't illegal necessarily. Don't get too wound up about this.

It's not about whether they used an offshore account or not. It is about whether the shell company has been abused or used for illegal purposes. To know if anything truly wrong took place, the people involved will have to go through each of those forms to figure things out. And with 2.6 TB of data leaked, it's going to take a long time to go through it all.

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-05 01:23:07 (edited 2016-04-05 01:23:26)

They're all fucking loaded and rich people never see any real jail time so.

You think Putin's going to jail? He'll personally find the cunt that hacked this info and pull his heart out through his asshole.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-05 23:16:23

I'm mad that the rich can't just keep their money in the Panama canal because if we tax them and put them in jail then all that money is going to go straight down the toilet when it could be used by the rich people to make society a glorious place like in the movie about the toys that come alive and people can eat pizza and the only problem is that the toys are gonna get melted.

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-05 23:53:20

This is why we need Bernie Sanders.

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-06 12:22:37

At 4/5/16 11:53 PM, koopahermit wrote: This is why we need Bernie Sanders.

Lmao I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the corrupt thugs mentioned in the data leak. Sanders is a puppet and so is anyone who believes in him.

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-06 18:36:55

you don't need a data leak to know that all this is going on all the time

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-06 19:08:46

At 4/5/16 11:53 PM, koopahermit wrote: This is why we need Bernie Sanders.

Sanders, (or any other president for that matter) wouldn't be able to do a thing about it unless an American person or company is mentioned on the Panama Papers. Not to mention that he won't be able to fully stop it in America anyway, because people do have offshore accounts all the time, (Swiss bank accounts for example) and contrary to popular opinion, offshore banking isn't all corporate folks or drug kingpins hiding their wealth for tax evasion. (though it obviously does happen)

While some of them might be illegal depending on certain circumstances, (e.g. tax evasion or criminal gains) not all of it is necessarily illegal as much as it unethical or even a misunderstanding, though from a PR standpoint, it's not easy to explain that to everyone, let alone anyone buying it at face value.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-06 19:13:15 (edited 2016-04-06 19:14:46)

At 4/6/16 06:43 PM, zornuzkull wrote: He's probably the cleanest compared to Trump and Hillary...
He's been a dedicated public servant for years...
If there was any dirt to dig up on him it would have been revealed already...

The only candidate worth voting for in this election just dropped out of the race a couple months ago. Even he was far from perfect, but at least he was genuine. The remaining candidates are all a bunch of phonies. It doesn't matter which of them wins at this point, they will preserve the status quo while telling their supporters what they want to hear. Nothing positive will come out of this election. All we can do now is hope for a decent candidate in the next election.

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-06 19:26:28

At 4/6/16 07:24 PM, zornuzkull wrote: Sanders seems like the only one who gives a shit and he isn't funded by wall Street... I'd vote for him to be honest... He seems like the only guy who could be trusted...

Keyword there being "seems." The power elite love charismatic puppets like Obama and Sanders who "seem" like good guys. They're their ace in the hole.

What glitters ain't always gold

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-06 19:28:13

At 4/6/16 07:26 PM, DJ-Ri wrote:
At 4/6/16 07:24 PM, zornuzkull wrote: Sanders seems like the only one who gives a shit and he isn't funded by wall Street... I'd vote for him to be honest... He seems like the only guy who could be trusted...
Keyword there being "seems." The power elite love charismatic puppets like Obama and Sanders who "seem" like good guys. They're their ace in the hole.

What glitters ain't always gold

I agree you can't really trust policians for shit, I'm at least glad Sanders has a good track record and that's why I voted for him, lesser of the many evils. Also Killer Mike told me to.

i am going to make it through this year if it kills me

BBS Signature

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-06 23:30:14 (edited 2016-04-06 23:37:07)

At 4/6/16 07:32 PM, zornuzkull wrote: His track record speaks for itself really...

It sure does!

http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Bernie_Sanders_Gun_Control.htm

This guy peddles the same tired old bullshit about nonexistent "assault weapons" and automatic weapons as if anyone can just walk into a gun store and easily purchase them, just like all the other corrupt left-wing puppets like Diane Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi. This is how I know this dude is a fraud.

Sanders is no idiot, he knows that "assault weapons" aren't real. He knows that in order for a person to be able to obtain an actual automatic weapon in this country, they have to spend thousands of dollars and cut through miles of bureaucratic yellow tape before they even have a *chance* to purchase one, and then they still have to spend even more thousands just to buy the weapon. What's the real agenda here? The systematic negation of our constitutional rights as American citizens; helping those in power stay in power and keeping everybody else at the fucking bottom.

Fuck Sanders. He's no different from the rest of these clowns. Fuck Trump's crooked flip-flopping ass, too. That mother fucker switches parties every couple of years. And don't even get me started on Clinton.

You'd have to be a complete idiot to trust any of these people. It is incredibly naive to think someone is a good candidate just because they speak in a palatable tone and tell you what you want to hear. You guys should try actually researching these candidates' history and see what they're really about.

Sanders, Clinton and Trump are all puppets of the same group of elite wealthy bankers that have been running this country for decades. Obama was, too. How'd all that hope & change work out for you guys, huh? What did that fool actually change? Now I get fined for not having health insurance. Isn't that just great? What a great contribution!

Anyone who can see past this facade of an election will know that these candidates are only running to give the ignorant masses the illusion of choice. The reality is that it no longer matters who you vote for in this election. The end result will be the same. You're a fool if you believe otherwise.

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-06 23:39:23 (edited 2016-04-06 23:48:49)

At 4/6/16 11:37 PM, zornuzkull wrote: One link lol... Dig deeper or don't bother...

Are you suggesting that this one tidbit of information should just be overlooked? That more data will somehow negate Sanders' position on gun control? What if I already have "dug deeper" and found nothing but more bullshit like this? How about you dig deeper and see for yourself? I already know what's up, and I have nothing to prove.

The Panama Papers

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-07 11:58:04

I find it suspicious that there aren't more Americans being reported linked to that list.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-25 02:53:17

You can't catch rich people, no one can.

☯ Way of the Ninja ☯

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-25 21:55:02

At 4/25/16 02:53 AM, CoutryNet46000 wrote: You can't catch rich people, no one can.

Tell that to Bernie Madoff.

Anyway, the problem isn't the power of the rich so much as it is the unwillingness of the American people to hold them accountable for their actions. Are we Americans, or are we helpless like those dogs in Seligman's experiment? Have we just accepted shit happening as unavoidable, even though there are certainly ways out of this mess? Are we a "Can Do" nation as we used to be, or are we pretty much the proles from 1984?

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-25 23:54:06 (edited 2016-04-25 23:58:51)

At 4/25/16 09:55 PM, Th-e wrote: Anyway, the problem isn't the power of the rich so much as it is the unwillingness of the American people to hold them accountable for their actions. Are we Americans, or are we helpless like those dogs in Seligman's experiment? Have we just accepted shit happening as unavoidable, even though there are certainly ways out of this mess? Are we a "Can Do" nation as we used to be, or are we pretty much the proles from 1984?

IMO the power elite will do anything to stay in power, and they have acquired control of so many of the globe's resources that trying to fight them is pretty much futile. We can route out their poster boys from office, but they'll just replace them with more. Get a genuine person in office and they'll either corrupt them and turn them into one of their own or just take them out like they did JFK.

If we had acted a few hundred years ago, maybe we could have achieved some meaningful results, but as it stands now I think they are far too powerful for us to do anything about them. I mean, take the Occupy movement for example, what did they actually achieve? A whole lot of nothing, aside from getting themselves arrested and tackled by police in riot gear.

The elite see these protests, all this "activism" on social media, etc, and they just laugh. It's nothing but a joke to them. Who actually threatens their power? They've got the whole world at their fingertips; they control our government, our financial institutions, all the major industries, etc. Only someone on the inside could really do something about it, and the odds are they'd take care of them before they even put their plan in motion.

As much as I'd like to change the status quo and see our country return to the state which the founding fathers originally intended it to be in, I am highly skeptical of all these protestors and activists thinking they're really out there changing anything. They're not. They're just making a bunch of noise and putting on a good show for the elite. They're sitting up there right now as you're reading this, sipping wine, smoking fine cigars and laughing their asses off at all of us. We're nothing but a bunch of insignificant insects to them, and it will probably remain this way for quite some time.

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-26 08:12:47

I don't really care about the Papers, since it really doesn't touch me personally. I do think tax dodging is a crime and they should be forced to face up to it, of course. But I works at a banking corporation (JPM), and this Panama Paper is a bit of a big thing for us here in the legal department. Of course, I would be funny if my parents or relatives are in them (jk'ing), but I'm sure they paid their taxes like all normal people, hahah.

TracyJackson

-EcG member for CSGO-

Attorney, Gamer, Sport Fan, PhD student (future Senator, maybe?)

Response to The Panama Papers 2016-04-27 23:38:09

At 4/25/16 11:54 PM, DJ-Ri wrote:
As much as I'd like to change the status quo and see our country return to the state which the founding fathers originally intended it to be in, I am highly skeptical of all these protestors and activists thinking they're really out there changing anything. They're not. They're just making a bunch of noise and putting on a good show for the elite. They're sitting up there right now as you're reading this, sipping wine, smoking fine cigars and laughing their asses off at all of us. We're nothing but a bunch of insignificant insects to them, and it will probably remain this way for quite some time.

If this were completely true, we would already be getting censored here on the Internet.

The Occupy movement was unsuccessful, but it didn't mean that the 1% was invincible. It meant that this particular method of protest didn't work out, and various sources indicate flaws in the movement itself. There are other ways you can use your voice. You just need to find a better way to get

Get together and write your Congressmen, and push for actions that will hold the billionaires accountable. Let these people know you care, and ask them if they represent you, or if they represent them. That's just one thought on the top of my head, but believe me, there is a way forward.

Lying down and accepting the pain is un-American. This is not what I heard of the people who made this country great. Are we the U.S.? Are we AmeriCANs? Or is this the nation of Kardashiastan, a big phony that spews BS and is not too far off from Big Brother's version of society.

Listen to this song. Get yourselves together.