00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Yamusy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

"East meets West" ink on wood

443 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

"East meets West" ink on wood 2016-03-28 10:24:54

here is the link to the painting on my profile:

Ink and gold leaf on wood panel, 2016.
This is for an "East meets West" local gallery show. It showcases artwork that merges Eastern imagery and themes with classic Americana. I decided to showcase a Gil Elvgrin style pin-up mixed with traditional Ukiyo-e style painting.

Response to "East meets West" ink on wood 2016-03-29 20:10:22

the perspective on her hand on my left and the bigger foot is REALLY OFF. it's more obvious on the hand. The girl look more in the east style and I wouldn't be able to tell if she was an elf unless you said. I don't know if you have time to fix things or not but maybe add more elf features and fix the club foot you have going and the gimp hand. I do like the inkwork you have on the wood. I hope you use a proper sealing for the wood or else the inkwork WILL run.

Buy my book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1686919077 (also available for other countries too, thks ILU <3 )

Response to "East meets West" ink on wood 2016-03-29 23:01:39

At 3/29/16 08:10 PM, linda-mota wrote: the perspective on her hand on my left and the bigger foot is REALLY OFF. it's more obvious on the hand. The girl look more in the east style and I wouldn't be able to tell if she was an elf unless you said. I don't know if you have time to fix things or not but maybe add more elf features and fix the club foot you have going and the gimp hand. I do like the inkwork you have on the wood. I hope you use a proper sealing for the wood or else the inkwork WILL run.

thank you for the reply. Yes, looking at it after everything was finished her far hand is pretty small but the feet and legs are in perspective since I used photo reference, though did more eyeballing on the far hand. And she's not an elf, she's drawn as a Gil Elvgrin style pinup girl, he was a famous 1940's pinup girl painter. Traditional Ukiyo-e style paintings depicing beautiful women from the 17th century weren't really drawn in classic pin-up poses, so her expression and pose is where the Americana 1940's style inspiration comes in. I have painted on wood for 4+ years and use permanent acrylic ink and seal all my finished wood panel paintings with clear varnish to protect them. This painting has sold unfortunately so I'm unable to fix things, but thank you for the critique I will keep your points in mind for future paintings!

Response to "East meets West" ink on wood 2016-03-30 00:01:12

Nice one, really enjoy how the color work turned out. Congrats on selling her off!