00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Enjoyedthat just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best Story Line

2,803 Views | 52 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-01 02:03:52 (edited 2016-04-01 02:04:30)

I'll always vouch for Persona 3 for a plethora of reasons, from the theme of the game to the symbolism to the likability of the characters (can't really go wrong with Shin Megami Tensei in general).

That's my top pick, but in no order my others are:

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc has a fantastic premise and storyline overall. Plays a lot like Phoenix Wright with the visual novel elements of Persona 3/4.

I thoroughly enjoyed Bioshock Infinite. People praise 1 but it's a bit overrated, and has a totally predictable outcome.

Silent Hill always has outstanding storytelling.

Grand Theft Auto always has outstanding storytelling.

It's a love it or hate it kinda deal but, the Metal Gear series is extremely entertaining.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, albeit bleak is excellent for what it is.

Grim Fandango is an awesome point/click.

Brutal Legend is amazing provided you appreciate metal music.

Deus Ex is cool.

Iunno, anything else I'm missing?

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-01 12:20:35

At 3/30/16 05:28 AM, uwu wrote:
At 3/30/16 05:22 AM, FoAngel wrote: Beyond Two Souls
Heavy Rain
I can see how Heavy Rain could have a good storyline (it's the best game David Cage made, which doesn't say much) but I'm stumped on Beyond: Two Souls. What did you like about it? I

Picking two games is not idea, but I can allow it.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-02 05:04:02

Metal Gear Solid.

The Boss and Big Boss had their worst respective traits carried on by Solid and Liquid, being a tool and a whiny baby with parental issues, respectively. It's effectively the nerd, loli, and robutt that settle things in their own fashion, though points go to Ocelot who was only pretending to be retarded(?) towards the end.

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-02 08:53:17

At 3/21/16 04:48 PM, larrynachos wrote: Ummm, probably Life is Strange. Although it's kind of a silly plot, I found it pretty easy to get immersed and emotionally attached to it.

Life is Strange is a great example of how games can be much more than the sum of their parts and illustrates the benefits of an episodic format even after Telltale have done a spectacular job draining the format of all merit and leaving a hollow, low-effort shell. The character interactions and execution are what make it great, not necessarily the story line itself, although the writing gets drastically better in episodes 2-4 as they adapted to player feedback.

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-02 18:28:24

At 3/30/16 10:53 AM, EcG-TracyJackson wrote: Bioshock Infinite got an interesting storyline...several twists and turns and a few surprises. Wasn't expecting the ending of Infinite, but was starting to suspect it by the last couple missions.

A good story line needs twists and turns and surprises. It can be a challenge to make a quality ending.

BBS Signature

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-03 01:03:12

The best story is half life 2 of course because :

SPOILER ALERT : The plot is that there will never be a half life 3

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-03 01:47:40

The Witcher Hearts of Stone.

Gaunter O'Dim is the greatest villain ever, he's likely a god of sorts and isn't necessarily evil, just curious in the faults of humans.

BBS Signature

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-03 13:11:44

At 3/30/16 08:37 PM, groovyguy wrote: The Walking Dead Telltale series I thought was pretty amazing, and made you feel part of the story really well.

The story to Metal Gear Solid is pretty awesome. MGS2's ending I think has to be one of my favorite ending's to any game.

The Yakuza Series for PS2 & PS3 also has a pretty crazy storyline.

Three more additions to the list.

BBS Signature

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-03 20:37:46

It's gotta be 'No More Heroes'.

You meet an interesting cast of characters where everyone is unique, and venture through the world and life of Travis Touchdown, a genuinely interesting character who grows and changes as the journey goes on.

It has a sequel, which further builds on the themes and characters of the first installment, without venturing too far from the tone and characterization of the original.

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-03 23:42:29

At 3/31/16 10:21 AM, Kwing wrote: I couldn't handle Life is Strange. As for Metal Gear Solid,

Final Fantasy Tactics, is a phenomenal storyline. It's dark, complex, and really shows the human capacity for darkness and corruption.

No Heroes Allowed is probably the funniest game I've ever played.

Shadow of Destiny features a pretty remarkable story.

Those are some interesting choices. Five games is a lot. Can you pick your two favorite?

BBS Signature

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-04 01:01:37

At 4/3/16 11:42 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Those are some interesting choices. Five games is a lot. Can you pick your two favorite?

My favorite would have to be Final Fantasy Tactics, possibly followed by Silent Hill 2 (how did I not mention this before?) Both of these games show a level of maturity I don't see in writing very often. There are some games like Manhunt that have an outstanding concept but just weren't given enough attention in the scripting department to make them stand on their own aside from gameplay. Such a shame.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-04 21:22:41

At 3/19/16 01:07 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: What game or games do you think has the best story line and why?

Catherine, because it pretty cool! Also, I've never seen someone mix a horror game with a puzzle game!

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-05 16:33:29

At 3/31/16 01:40 PM, FoAngel wrote: Hmmm. My all time favourite game is Gears of War. The storyline for that franchise was amazing. Even with the hate I'm seeing for Gears 4 I'm sure I'll enjoy that as well.

My next one would have to be Final Fantasy VII, simply because it was the first time I was ever introduced to the final fantasy series, the storyline of that game made me retrograde, seek out and play the other ones all of which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I will put you down for those two choices. Will be interesting to see which ones is the winner.

BBS Signature

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-06 15:33:14

At 3/31/16 03:41 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Chrono Trigger has the best story line.

Multiple stories, multiple endings, each character with a unique personality all of their own. Each with their own baggage that you have to manage. It simply can't be beat...

Chrono Trigger is a great classic SNES RPG. It can be a challenge to earn all the endings.

However one that does come close has to be The Walking Dead.

Which version of the Walking Dead?

BBS Signature

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-06 21:41:15

Knights of the old republic 2

It also has the best story I've seen in any star wars related material.

Best Story Line

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-06 23:24:23

At 4/1/16 02:03 AM, TOXlCITY wrote: I'll always vouch for Persona 3 for a plethora of reasons, from the theme of the game to the symbolism to the likability of the characters (can't really go wrong with Shin Megami Tensei in general).

That's my top pick,

I will put you down for Persona 3.

BBS Signature

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-08 20:07:02

I liked Bastion's. And Shadow of the Colossus. And the Bioshock series. Yeah, kind of hard to pick a "best" one.

Been seeing some people liking Gears of War, so I wanted to point out that I believe GoW2 had some weak points but came back swinging in the third.

Top medal point users (updated Sundays) | Wi/Ht member #43

Steam ID

BBS Signature

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-09 12:05:43

back on ps1, i was a big fan of the parasite eve games. found the whole concept interesting, always wished they'd remake it.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-09 12:58:13

At 4/2/16 05:04 AM, axehandle-stain wrote: Metal Gear Solid.

The Boss and Big Boss had their worst respective traits carried on by Solid and Liquid, being a tool and a whiny baby with parental issues, respectively. It's effectively the nerd, loli, and robutt that settle things in their own fashion, though points go to Ocelot who was only pretending to be retarded(?) towards the end.

Metal Gear Solid was nominated before as a great game. I will put you down for it as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-09 20:47:26 (edited 2016-04-09 20:47:41)

Top Ten+

11) Heavy Rain
10) Red Dead Redemption
9) Mass Effect 3
8) BioShock Infinite
7) Shadow of the Collosus
6) Catherine
5) Mass Effect 2
4) Gone Home
3) Journey
2) The Last of Us
1) LA Noire

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-10 14:50:37

At 4/2/16 08:53 AM, Jackho wrote: Life is Strange is a great example of how games can be much more than the sum of their parts and illustrates the benefits of an episodic format even after Telltale have done a spectacular job draining the format of all merit and leaving a hollow, low-effort shell. The character interactions and execution are what make it great, not necessarily the story line itself, although the writing gets drastically better in episodes 2-4 as they adapted to player feedback.

You have provided many good reasons why Life is strange should be on the list, even if the story is not the best. I will put you down for it.

BBS Signature

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-10 15:16:16

Half Life 2
Portal 2

"It's called consolidation; strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals."

I also draw stuff. Here's some of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Best Story Line 2016-04-10 18:18:17

At 4/3/16 01:03 AM, cuttyflame wrote: The best story is half life 2 of course because :
SPOILER ALERT : The plot is that there will never be a half life 3

That is a bonus story, but I will put you down for it.

BBS Signature