00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LOCKdev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help With Art

330 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Help With Art 2016-01-10 06:18:52

So uh, I finished a drawing a few days ago and I want a second opinion.
I submitted two similar things, but the newer one looks better to me but got less stars. I thought it looked better than the other one.
Is there something more appealing in this than in this? I tried perspective and payed more attention to anatomy in the second one, but... yeah.

Did I de-improve (if that's even a word)?
Also it's three in the morning, so I might be overthinking this but oh well.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Help With Art 2016-01-10 10:51:20

At 1/10/16 06:18 AM, Meowberry wrote: So uh, I finished a drawing a few days ago and I want a second opinion.
I submitted two similar things, but the newer one looks better to me but got less stars. I thought it looked better than the other one.
Is there something more appealing in this than in this? I tried perspective and payed more attention to anatomy in the second one, but... yeah.

Did I de-improve (if that's even a word)?
Also it's three in the morning, so I might be overthinking this but oh well.

Well, just because perspective is a more complicated technique, doesn't mean it's better looking. In this kind of art, I think people will most respond to the characters themselves rather than to how they're drawn. So they'll respond better to a character who comes across as pleasant or mysterious than to one that comes across as douchey or cliche. If you want to use perspective in your art, try to use in a way that compliments the emotions of the scene.

Also, "I like Explosions" looks a little gingerbread man shaped. Making gingerbread men is okay on flat portraits, but it will become very obvious when you start adding perspective or rotating the character.

Response to Help With Art 2016-01-10 15:06:17

Well, just because perspective is a more complicated technique, doesn't mean it's better looking. In this kind of art, I think people will most respond to the characters themselves rather than to how they're drawn. So they'll respond better to a character who comes across as pleasant or mysterious than to one that comes across as douchey or cliche. If you want to use perspective in your art, try to use in a way that compliments the emotions of the scene.
Also, "I like Explosions" looks a little gingerbread man shaped. Making gingerbread men is okay on flat portraits, but it will become very obvious when you start adding perspective or rotating the character.

You bring an interesting point, I didn't even think about it like that. I just thought that it was solely used to make something look more dynamic or bring energy to something. So it's essentially used to highlight the likeliness of a character?

Wait, what do you by gingerbread men? Is it when some proportions stay that same when they should be changed due to the character's movement, or is it referring to the anatomy itself? I've never heard that term before. .w.

Also I apologize in advance if something doesn't makes sense, since I slept really late and I had huge trouble spelling while typing this. : P

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Help With Art 2016-01-11 21:25:32

At 1/10/16 03:06 PM, Meowberry wrote: You bring an interesting point, I didn't even think about it like that. I just thought that it was solely used to make something look more dynamic or bring energy to something. So it's essentially used to highlight the likeliness of a character?

Wait, what do you by gingerbread men? Is it when some proportions stay that same when they should be changed due to the character's movement, or is it referring to the anatomy itself? I've never heard that term before. .w.

I mean that the people look flat, like a gingerbread man or a paper doll or a restroom sign. It's a very common thing for people to do, but still something you should learn to avoid. Try and use your shading to make things look rounder. There's no way but to study reference, ideally a combination of real life round things and some artwork of things that are round, so that you can see how other artists solve roundness.

Using perspective can kind of change the mood of a picture, like usually someone looks more powerful if the camera is below them and less powerful if the camera is above them, but what I meant is that the likability of the character trumps the better art quality gained by using perspective. Like think about how much more popular Sonic and Mario are compared to Master Chief. Master Chief is a higher quality graphic, but his design is devoid of personality. A likable or creative character will get you better reviews than using more complicated art techniques.