00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Boochingi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME

4,385 Views | 68 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

At 12/27/15 04:19 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Sonic the Hedgehog

-- Extremely basic platforming when most platformers had long since advanced combined with overly-long boring levels with the only thing going for the game being the soundtrack and boss fights.

How to make any classic Sonic game an immensely better game? Boss Rush only, eliminating all the long boring stages between boss fights.

Close second: Mortal Kombat

-- Only became popular because it showed "blood" which was controversial at the time. Very mediocre fighter that, if it hadn't gained popularity through controversy, would likely have been forgotten just like majority of fighter games have been. Can you name even 10 separate fighter game series without having to look any of them up? Probably not. If it wasn't for the "blood" controversy back in the day, would you even know about Mortal Kombat? Probably not.

Come at me Sega fanboys. Face it -- the two most well-known games on the Genesis were nothing more than mere marketing ploys lacking any real gameplay merit, and popular only because Sega fanboys would buy up anything Sega marketed as "cool" because they're easily manipulated by Sega marketing departments and cared more about image than gameplay.

When you can't win the console wars by making better games, may as well take the Sega strategy of relying on marketing your games as "cool" and "edgy" and relying on a customer base who cares more about being seen as "cool" or "edgy" than actually playing fun games.

//Shots fired

//Battleship sunk

I dont know, I really liked Sonic games on Genesis. The game that ruined it for me was Sonic 06. I often found myself not knowing what to do, pretty bland levels...

As for Mortal Kombat, the blood really didnt matter that much to me. What bothers me about the series is that it failed to evlove. Mortal Kombat X is no different than the original. It would be cool if the battles were in 3D nstead of 2.5D.

As for the marketing stunts, doesnt every company do it? Think of PS2 where it blew the Dreamcast out of the water when it was relased? Good marketing. It was a pretty good console, though.

Now think of XBox 360, it was a pretty crappy console, but it sold pretty well, why? Because of the marketing.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-27 05:02:55

I feel Conker's Bad Fur Day is praised too highly.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-27 05:32:37

At 12/27/15 05:02 AM, The-Great-One wrote: I feel Conker's Bad Fur Day is praised too highly.

Heres my view of the game:

PROS: Best graphics on the N64
Voice acting
Hilarious charachters
Minigames
Good music

CONS: Bland platforming
Too short
Very little music tracks

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-27 12:54:58

At 12/27/15 05:32 AM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote:
At 12/27/15 05:02 AM, The-Great-One wrote: I feel Conker's Bad Fur Day is praised too highly.

I feel like Conker only got the praise it received because everybody expected another generic cutesy platformer and they got a violent and raunchy adventure instead.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-27 14:38:16

At 12/27/15 12:54 PM, Chdonga wrote:
At 12/27/15 05:32 AM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote:
I feel like Conker only got the praise it received because everybody expected another generic cutesy platformer and they got a violent and raunchy adventure instead.

I agree, that was its selling point.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-27 22:55:47

SM64 is a bit overrated. It's a great game, but I'd say it lacks in plot and that touch of whimsy and immersion that later games like sunshine and galaxy had. I think sunshine is underrated. OOT deserves all the praise it gets and then some. It's a masterpiece. The Citizen Kane of videogames.

opiniones meae, facta omnibus

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-28 03:26:57

I wouldn't say SM64 is overrated. At least I don't get the impression that it is, just that it gets recognition for what it is was at the time it came out, and honestly a game like sm64 had never really been seen before or made that well at that point in time. Of course it's not without it's flaws and it does not stack up so well against other Mario games that exist now, but that's because it's outdated rather than overrated. So unless you constantly hear people saying "Yeah Super Mario 64 is the best game EVAH!" I think calling it overrated is a bit undeserving. It's simply a fun game that once was at the for front innovation in gaming.

But on to game that people do often claim is "Best game EVAH!" I'd say that Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye 64 among the most overrated games today. Although I'm hearing less hyperbole surrounding Goldeneye these days.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-28 06:41:07

Super Mario 64? If going to name a Mario game then Super Mario Brothers 3 is the most over-rated especially on the nes. The game isn't very good and has aged badly unlike Super Mario World which has aged better, yet people constantly claim it is THE BEST MARIO GAME, no it fucking isn't. It's bad. Super Mario 64 is actually good and despite it's appearance and the fact the N64 controller is garbage has aged surprisingly well fun wise.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-28 10:16:30

For me it's not so much an overrated game but a series and there are two of them...

First up is Assassins Creed, the series started out well and has bags of potential it jut seems Ubisoft can't get thier shit together enough to make it work well and instead cower behind the same old tried and tested crap to hit their annual release date.

Second is Call of Duty, do I need to say much more? An annual gash fest of half arsed story campaign and rehashed multiplayer that just takes ideas off of other series. Awful awful awful.

Heavy Vibes

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-28 10:20:40

At 12/27/15 10:55 PM, MonochromeMonitor wrote: SM64 is a bit overrated. It's a great game, but I'd say it lacks in plot and that touch of whimsy and immersion that later games like sunshine and galaxy had. I think sunshine is underrated. OOT deserves all the praise it gets and then some. It's a masterpiece. The Citizen Kane of videogames.

Oh well, I always liked Majoras Mask more. Maybe because it had darker plot...

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-28 10:21:57

But on to game that people do often claim is "Best game EVAH!" I'd say that Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye 64 among the most overrated games today. Although I'm hearing less hyperbole surrounding Goldeneye these days.

I always found Majoras Mask to be better than OOT.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-28 10:23:43

At 12/28/15 06:41 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Super Mario 64? If going to name a Mario game then Super Mario Brothers 3 is the most over-rated especially on the nes. T

I dont know, my favourite 2D Mario scroller is New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-28 10:26:14

First up is Assassins Creed, the series started out well and has bags of potential it jut seems Ubisoft can't get thier shit together enough to make it work well and instead cower behind the same old tried and tested crap to hit their annual release date.
Second is Call of Duty, do I need to say much more? An annual gash fest of half arsed story campaign and rehashed multiplayer that just takes ideas off of other series.

AC and COD games are always high quality, but they are kind of repetitive. And all FPS games are bassicaly the same.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-28 18:33:10

At 12/28/15 10:20 AM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote:
At 12/27/15 10:55 PM, MonochromeMonitor wrote: SM64 is a bit overrated. It's a great game, but I'd say it lacks in plot and that touch of whimsy and immersion that later games like sunshine and galaxy had. I think sunshine is underrated. OOT deserves all the praise it gets and then some. It's a masterpiece. The Citizen Kane of videogames.

MM is great too. It's like the M (a 1931 german movie, it's magnificent) of videogames.

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-28 18:38:08

At 12/28/15 06:41 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Super Mario 64? If going to name a Mario game then Super Mario Brothers 3 is the most over-rated especially on the nes. The game isn't very good and has aged badly unlike Super Mario World which has aged better, yet people constantly claim it is THE BEST MARIO GAME, no it fucking isn't. It's bad. Super Mario 64 is actually good and despite it's appearance and the fact the N64 controller is garbage has aged surprisingly well fun wise.

I agree. SM64 as an individual game is great, but what really makes it GREAT is the innovative gameplay and its influence on the 3D adventure genre which would replace 2D platformers. I also agree about Super Mario 3. I didn't hate it, but I was expecting much more from it due to the hype.

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-28 18:46:18

AC and COD games are always high quality, but they are kind of repetitive. And all FPS games are bassicaly the same.

Yes! Whether you're in space or in nazi germany, they are the same damn game. I hate FPS's... I find them dull and not demanding intellectually/physically. People claim it requires strategy, it doesn't. I mean, look at the people who play COD. It's all nerves and the ability to multitask well and make quick transitions. The one redeeming quality is playing with friends, which is fun for the social element, but I would never do single player.

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-28 18:52:09

I am adamant in OOT not being overrated. Even the music is just divine... ahhh nostalgia.
But we're only talking about nintendo. What about others? Square Enix, Sega, etc? To be controversial, I think Fallout is overrated. The gameplay is fun, mind you, but The Elder Scrolls series is sooo much better... it has fascinating lore and is far more immersive. Fallout is basically "now with more vaults! this time the mutants have telekinesis!"

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-28 23:55:06

Five Nights at Freddy's and their stupid prequels and sequels, almost every fan is hyped about a new Five Nights At Freddy's game. They release a new game every 2 months of less.

"let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself" - FDR

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-29 07:31:06

At 12/28/15 06:33 PM, MonochromeMonitor wrote:
MM is great too. It's like the M (a 1931 german movie, it's magnificent) of videogames.

Im not really into movies, but OOT has this feeling of adventure.
The plot is kinda dull, but the ability to ride Epona through Hyrule field is an amazing experience. Also I liked that you can travel in a interactive world all over the areas. Bad point of the game is that some temples and bosses were a pain in the neck. Best tune in the game is the Kokiri theme

I like MM because, plot wise it blows OOT out of the water.. liked the dark tone of the games, creepy/depressing music, ability to change forms, three day cycle...
Best tune in the game is the Termina theme.
Bad point in the game is that i sometimes found myself not knowing what to do next. Also, Great bay temple nearly made me punch the TV screen.
Oh, and i think the Stone tower temple is the best one in the series, its mysterious, challange level is just right, best music, it had this light and darkness theme, but the boss is kinda lame.
OOT is great, but I like to think that MM has expanded the gameplay in a lot of ways.

When you can't win the console wars by making better games, may as well take the Sega strategy of relying on marketing your games as "cool" and "edgy" and relying on a customer base who cares more about being seen as "cool" or "edgy" than actually playing fun games.

Has anyone noticed that Nintendo is in the similar position to Sega before it folded...

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-29 07:35:06

At 12/28/15 08:03 PM, Centaurora wrote: Skyrim. Definitely Skyrim. Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim.

I know I'm probably coming across as a prick or a hater to some on this, but I honestly do think Skyrim fucking sucks.

I loved Oblivion, I don't really know what happened.

I never played an Elder Scrolls game, so I cant determine its quality.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-29 07:37:16

At 12/28/15 11:55 PM, Bmwd wrote: Five Nights at Freddy's and their stupid prequels and sequels, almost every fan is hyped about a new Five Nights At Freddy's game. They release a new game every 2 months of less.

I didnt think there was any continuity between FNAF games until I watched a Game Theory episode about it. Now im confused. Im pretty excited about FNAF World, because i really like RPGs.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-29 14:43:46

sure, such computers are more frequently the target of malware as well. but that's a small price to pay.

would you rather sate your addiction to gaming by shelling out six thousand dollars a month on one hundred games a month?

or would you sate it by shelling out five hundred dollars once every two years on a new computer and pirate the same amount of games for free or alternately, for boy scouts, buy them used at a sixth of the retail price you see at game stores, using the wondrous amazon.com to find a seller who's tired of their storebought copy?

the higher cost of the hardware is rendered moot by these additional factors requiring you to pay more often in higher increments.

it's much like shopping for insurance. do you take the one that has the lowest initial price, but the rates go up at an alarming... uh, rate... or do you take the one that costs just a little extra initially but has less maintenance costs in tow?

assume for argument's sake that all the plans offer negligible differences in coverage.

if you cant find something for cheaper than the average market price in this world, you suck at shopping.

Youre right, I wonder why people still buy consoles? Im a pirate all the way. By the way, I just noticed, since Sega folded, Microsoft and Sony competed with each other, while Nintendo was always off doing its own thing... could you imagine Mario/Zelda/Donkey Kong on Playstation/XBox ?

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-29 16:58:49

At 12/29/15 04:32 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 12/29/15 07:37 AM, SinisterShadow1000 wrote: Now im confused. Im pretty excited about FNAF World, because i really like RPGs.
Lol? You call that garbage like FNAF as RPG?

No, not the 4 horror games. Theres an upcoming RPG called FNAF World.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-31 19:45:43

At 12/28/15 08:03 PM, Centaurora wrote: Skyrim. Definitely Skyrim. Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim.

I know I'm probably coming across as a prick or a hater to some on this, but I honestly do think Skyrim fucking sucks.

I loved Oblivion, I don't really know what happened.

Oblivion is way better. I hate that they got rid of the old character creation system with classes and whatnot, and i loved spell creation.

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-31 19:46:48

At 12/28/15 11:55 PM, Bmwd wrote: Five Nights at Freddy's and their stupid prequels and sequels, almost every fan is hyped about a new Five Nights At Freddy's game. They release a new game every 2 months of less.

Never played. And glad.

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-31 20:07:47

The plot is kinda dull, but the ability to ride Epona through Hyrule field is an amazing experience. Also I liked that you can travel in a interactive world all over the areas. Bad point of the game is that some temples and bosses were a pain in the neck. Best tune in the game is the Kokiri theme
I like MM because, plot wise it blows OOT out of the water.. liked the dark tone of the games, creepy/depressing music, ability to change forms, three day cycle...
Bad point in the game is that i sometimes found myself not knowing what to do next. Also, Great bay temple nearly made me punch the TV screen.
Oh, and i think the Stone tower temple is the best one in the series, its mysterious, challange level is just right, best music, it had this light and darkness theme, but the boss is kinda lame.
OOT is great, but I like to think that MM has expanded the gameplay in a lot of ways.

Lets hope i'm formatting this correctly.

:: They're different experiences. It's great to play one after the other because in many ways MM is a more mature OOT. I do agree the plot of MM is more interesting, but I don't agree that the 3-day element is necessarily an improvement... a lot of people hate it. And I personally prefer the time travel mechanic over the mask mechanic because of its implications for the LOZ "universe"... they don't overdo it in OOT but there are some parts that are just magnificent, namely the windmill guy who teaches you the song you used to destroy his windmill in the past... idiot...

I didn't used to be into movies because I never saw any great movies. I thought that The Matrix was the paragon of cinema (not hating on that movie, I still love it). Great movies deserve just as much esteem as great theatre and great literature, though the best movies IMO were made between 1925 and 1955, with some notable earlier exceptions like Griffith, Lang, Sjolstrom, and Eisenstein... most people only know great film through Hitchcock. He's a genius, but I find Fritz Lang pictures to be far scarier. Anyway... I find most people who love old videogames, not just for the nostalgia but for the appreciation of art and history, also love old film.

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2015-12-31 21:18:52

FNaF. More specifically the sequels. The first game was alright (interesting and a little different in fact), but the sequels carried on too long. gameplay wise, they became repetitive.

"It's called consolidation; strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals."

I also draw stuff. Here's some of it.

BBS Signature

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2016-01-01 06:00:27

At 12/31/15 08:07 PM, MonochromeMonitor wrote:
Lets hope i'm formatting this correctly.

They're different experiences. It's great to play one after the other because in many ways MM is a more mature OOT. I do agree the plot of MM is more interesting, but I don't agree that the 3-day element is necessarily an improvement... a lot of people hate it. And I personally prefer the time travel mechanic over the mask mechanic because of its implications for the LOZ "universe"... they don't overdo it in OOT but there are some parts that are just magnificent, namely the windmill guy who teaches you the song you used to destroy his windmill in the past... idiot...

Do you know what adds weight on the plot of OOT/MM? Since MM comes right after OOT, nobody ever mentioned that theres a nieghbouring land. Have you ever heard of the theory that Link is dead in MM? Its called the five stages of grief theory. It makes sense afer MMs dark and strange plot. It also explains the Heros Shade from TP (never played it).

As for OOT, I think WW happens after Ganon defeats Link.

As for the movies, I dont watch many. But I really liked the Matrix. Had me questioning my exsistance for days.

Response to MOST OVERRATED VIDEO GAME 2016-01-01 06:03:35

At 12/31/15 09:18 PM, YonusBahtzee wrote: FNaF. More specifically the sequels. The first game was alright (interesting and a little different in fact), but the sequels carried on too long. gameplay wise, they became repetitive.

I really liket the FNAF series. But, what ruined it for me was the fanbase (fox thingy fangirls, hentai,fanfiction and the fact that so many YouTubers got so many cheap views by doing FNAF related stuff).