00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Em0-Snail just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Submission causes browser crash

607 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-13 01:23:17

This causes a lot of people's chrome to crash.

Mine, two people I linked it to to test who also use Chrome

I have an awesome computer and have never had a plugin crash my browser before.

Please ban this submission

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-13 09:12:39

At 11/13/15 01:23 AM, sharpnova wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/665937
This causes a lot of people's chrome to crash.

Mine, two people I linked it to to test who also use Chrome

I have an awesome computer and have never had a plugin crash my browser before.

Please ban this submission

Hmm... runs fine for me using Chrome. It DOES hang the browser for a bit when it loads, but loading the second time through is faster to the point where it isn't really a problem. Is there a specific point in the game where it crashes your browser?

I'm going to test again later tonight.

When I ran it prior to posting, it'd lag a bit then start loading and then suddenly all my chrome tabs (it was 10 or so, but I usually have more tabs open with no issues ever in the history of using Chrome. usually around 20-30) went faded and I knew a crash was imminent.

Luckily I use Layout Manager to supplement Chrome's spotty "restore last session" feature.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-13 21:05:07

I have a seriously high end cpu as well and that submission also causes my browser (chrome) to crash. Generally just before it has finished loading or as soon as it finishes loading. I have tried it multiple times with no success. I gave up trying. I must admit though, this has happened with 3 or 4 submissions in the last month or so.

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-14 04:34:13

At 11/13/15 09:05 PM, gamejunkie wrote: I must admit though, this has happened with 3 or 4 submissions in the last month or so.

Do you remember any of the other ones? I'd like to test on my browser

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-14 15:37:41

At 11/14/15 04:34 AM, sharpnova wrote:
At 11/13/15 09:05 PM, gamejunkie wrote: I must admit though, this has happened with 3 or 4 submissions in the last month or so.
Do you remember any of the other ones? I'd like to test on my browser

Sorry dude, I wish I could remember but I can't. I do from memory believe though, that they were all Unity WebGL games with very large files and long loading times. I'm fairly certain they were all like this.

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-18 07:22:19

Same (slightly updated version apparently) game, same result. Crashes my browser and all my open tabs. Every time, every version.

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-18 19:29:50

At 11/18/15 07:22 AM, gamejunkie wrote: Same (slightly updated version apparently) game, same result. Crashes my browser and all my open tabs. Every time, every version.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/666238

Same.

Nice to know going in so I could save my chrome windows+tabs state.

Plugin developers should use me as their primary test case. A first line of defense.

Because no false positives hit me ever. I have a computer of the mightiest proportions and Chrome, never any malware of any kind or antivirus to muck things up.

When there's something wrong for me.. it's wrong period.

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-19 00:52:23

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-19 04:20:53

You guys should start listing plugins that you're using and some exact specs, because I suspect it'll come down to a bad mix between those and the games you're trying.

I've tested all of these on two different machines; one a modest lenovo laptop running XFCE on Ubuntu (14.04), and another on a Windows 7 machine with 32GB RAM, GTX 750 TI graphics card (significantly higher spec machine, in other words) and all of these games run absolutely fine.

Without knowing more about your environments other than that you're both using chrome and that one of you has an 'awesome computer' and the other a 'seriously high end cpu' I don't know where you expect to find any answers.

Windows 7 64-bit, 32 GB Ram, SLI'd 980 Ti's, 3930k cpu. SSD's, Chrome.

No plugins. No extensions. (disabled or removed for all tests)

Also as I mentioned, I usually have a lot of tabs open. Most of the time about 10 but sometimes 50. But I tried running this with just its own tab open and the behavior was the same.

Three people (the ONLY three people I've asked to try to load these crashing games) have the same exact issue.

One is on my same home network using an older computer that also runs everything else fine. No extensions.

The other two have mid to high end computers, using Chrome.

Only common thread I see is Chrome tbh.

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-20 04:38:19

Hm. What version of Chrome?

https://aboutmybrowser.com

@gamejunkie you installed Unity at one point:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1389343#bbspost25494373_post_text
Have you since removed it?

What about you sharpnova?

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-20 10:23:02

At 11/20/15 02:41 AM, sharpnova wrote: Windows 7 64-bit, 32 GB Ram, SLI'd 980 Ti's, 3930k cpu. SSD's, Chrome.

No plugins. No extensions. (disabled or removed for all tests)

Also as I mentioned, I usually have a lot of tabs open. Most of the time about 10 but sometimes 50. But I tried running this with just its own tab open and the behavior was the same.

Three people (the ONLY three people I've asked to try to load these crashing games) have the same exact issue.

One is on my same home network using an older computer that also runs everything else fine. No extensions.

The other two have mid to high end computers, using Chrome.

Only common thread I see is Chrome tbh.

There's a LOT of games on NG I can't run in Chrome on my work machine. Oddly enough, they actually seem to run the best in IE.

Chrome has a lot of random issues with HTML5 games, especially ones built in unity. I've run into an odd chrome caching bug a few times while working with WebGL stuff. Sometimes clearing cache makes issues go away, other times refreshing a game after it's loaded once (and crashed) is what it takes.

There's also a weird bug with timer stutters in chrome. Something to do with how they capture clock ticks. What ends up happening is on random occasions a game will tick twice in the same cycle and cause cpu/memory spikes that the browser may catch and close.

Some plugins also cause havok simply because they act like proxy servers and cause a small bit of latency that games aren't expecting. Even some ad blockers can do this because they have to access databases like easylist before letting a file come through.

A lot of the problems we see reported tend to be chrome bugs. Normally they don't last long, but I know for sure the timing stutter bug has been around for over a year now.

It feels like the bigger market share Chrome gets, the more it degrades. They are slowly becoming the new IE. It's kind of ironic that Google is the loudest advocate for eradicating plugins and making everything lean on HTML5, and their browser seems to have the most issues meeting that ideal.

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-20 10:24:35

At 11/20/15 04:38 AM, liljim wrote: Hm. What version of Chrome?

@liljim Sorry for the delayed reply been busy fishing. First chance I've had to get out for some time so I was making the most of it.

I'm at a friends place at the moment so I'll give you what I can. I can't quote specifics until I get home (don't know when that will be) but if it helps I'm using an Acer Predator G5, running Windows 8.1 (I think, fairly sure), not sure of the rest of the specs but I'm sure you can find exact specs online. Also as far as I'm aware Unity is the only plug-in I'm using. Hope that helps.

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-20 11:46:59

At 11/20/15 10:24 AM, gamejunkie wrote: Also as far as I'm aware Unity is the only plug-in I'm using.

It's no longer supported in Chrome, so you should remove it. Please copy and paste the browser results from the link above when you're next home.

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-20 11:49:38

At 11/20/15 11:46 AM, liljim wrote:
At 11/20/15 10:24 AM, gamejunkie wrote: Also as far as I'm aware Unity is the only plug-in I'm using.
It's no longer supported in Chrome, so you should remove it. Please copy and paste the browser results from the link above when you're next home.

No problem. I'll get to it as soon as I can.

At 11/20/15 04:38 AM, liljim wrote: Hm. What version of Chrome?

What about you sharpnova?

Chrome 46.0.2490.86 on Windows 7

I haven't done anything with Unity. Just let Google make its shady little stand against NPAPI

So I think it just got removed or disabled in some build of Chrome. Not sure

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-20 22:49:53

At 11/20/15 11:46 AM, liljim wrote:

Okay here it is. Also just to let you know I have tried to'uninstall' Unity from my PC through the Control Panel and also with CCleaner and neither seem to want to uninstall it. I highlight the program and hit the 'uninstall' button and it seems to start doing something but then nothing happens and when I hit the 'uninstall' button again it gives me a pop up saying, 'please wait while the program is being uninstalled or changed' so I do but still nothing happens. It just doesn't seem to want to uninstall it.

Browser Chrome
Browser Version 46.0.2490.86
User Agent String Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2490.86 Safari/537.36
OS Type Windows
OS Name Windows NT
Capture Time 2015-11-21 03:12:15 UTC
Javascript true
Cookies true
Color Depth 24
Screen 1920 x 1080
Browser 1903 x 1017
Flash 19.0.-1
Java false
Language en-US

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-20 23:06:05

I just tried loading DropCore V11 again and it still crashes my browser.

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-20 23:12:15

At 11/20/15 11:06 PM, gamejunkie wrote: I just tried loading DropCore V11 again and it still crashes my browser.

I think its time for a new PC. The new Predator G6 looks pretty fancy.

Response to Submission causes browser crash 2015-11-21 05:56:34

Thanks @gamejunkie.

There's a reason I pointed you guys to aboutmybrowser.com site - and that's because it provides more info than just the browser and version. Stuff like screen resolution (which may be another common factor).

It would be easier if you just copied back the link that aboutmybrowser.com gives you - what resolutions are you working at sharpnova?

At 11/21/15 05:56 AM, liljim wrote: Thanks @gamejunkie.

There's a reason I pointed you guys to aboutmybrowser.com site - and that's because it provides more info than just the browser and version. Stuff like screen resolution (which may be another common factor).

It would be easier if you just copied back the link that aboutmybrowser.com gives you - what resolutions are you working at sharpnova?

https://aboutmybrowser.com/1wR6W48A

I have my chrome windows snapped to the left or right halves of my displays. So that's why the horizontal resolution is half the screen resolution

Doesn't impact the issue though