00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Need help with Copyright Issue???

444 Views | 16 Replies

Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-11 19:48:24

I just want to know if it's ok to use newgrounds logo for commercial purposes such as t-shirts as an indicator to my work here? so that people would know where to find me and or my work.

if you know then i may need a link of where you got your info from, it must be an official newgrounds link and or page where they permitted it or not.

thanks in advance...

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-11 19:51:40

I'm not a copyright lawyer. But I think... it's probably not kosher.

@TomFulp do you need a lawyer?

I don't see anything in the Wiki about it, so you should ask Tom or Wade. If I had to guess, though, I don't think that would be legal to do.

Also, if you have a question like this you should just PM Tom or Wade in the first place instead of posting it on the BBS because I doubt anybody else besides them knows that kind of information.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-11 21:00:58

At 11/11/15 07:51 PM, someaveragechap wrote: I'm not a copyright lawyer. But I think... it's probably not kosher.

@TomFulp do you need a lawyer?

no I was just asking thanks.

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-11 22:03:31

At 11/11/15 07:54 PM, Cordyceps wrote: it's probably not okay to do if you're selling the shirts

if you're just making an iron-on to wear at cons or whatever then that's all good

for the t-shirt it wouldn't be for me to sell rather i be wearing it and advertising my brand while at the same time giving back to newgrounds.

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-11 22:09:55

At 11/11/15 10:03 PM, ToonymanStudios wrote:
At 11/11/15 07:54 PM, Cordyceps wrote: it's probably not okay to do if you're selling the shirts

if you're just making an iron-on to wear at cons or whatever then that's all good
for the t-shirt it wouldn't be for me to sell rather i be wearing it and advertising my brand while at the same time giving back to newgrounds.

If it's just for yourself to wear I really doubt it could cause any problems. Putting the Newgrounds logo under your own stuff may be a little misleading, though. Kinda suggests a deeper affiliation beyond just the fact that you uploaded your work to Newgrounds. Again, though, you're not selling them or handing hundreds out. For anything to happen NG would need to take legal action against you... can't see it happening lol.

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-12 01:32:36

At 11/11/15 10:09 PM, Jebbal wrote:
At 11/11/15 10:03 PM, ToonymanStudios wrote:

If it's just for yourself to wear I really doubt it could cause any problems. Putting the Newgrounds logo under your own stuff may be a little misleading, though. Kinda suggests a deeper affiliation beyond just the fact that you uploaded your work to Newgrounds. Again, though, you're not selling them or handing hundreds out. For anything to happen NG would need to take legal action against you... can't see it happening lol.

I doubt it be misleading, in any way I will make sure of that part. it's suppose to be about sending people to my page on newgrounds or rather telling them that they can see my work if they come here. i don't think i be selling the product unless I need to tag (kinda like leaving a note behind) them so they would know where to find me. the point of the logo would be much easier for them to grasp than reading all this >>> http://toonymanstudios.newgrounds.com/ <<< from a shirt or where ever I put the logo. example if i was walking down the street and some saw my t-shirt with that address they may not have time to remember or write it down. but with the newground logo printed some where maybe at a lower corner of the t-shirt with a massage like "look me up search tag (toonyman studios)" at "http://toonymanstudios.newgrounds.com/" the newgrounds logo will help, if any of this made sense. then on top of that newgrounds will get even more closure as well as other artist may get some traffic as well.

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-12 01:55:29

Does nobody remember F.A.D.E.D 365 any more????

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-12 01:58:48

At 11/12/15 01:55 AM, Gimmick wrote: Does nobody remember F.A.D.E.D 365 any more????

never heard of it!, what is that?

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-12 02:11:52

Tom probably won't care if it's being used as a way to promote Newgrounds itself or your profile on Newgrounds.

Tom will almost certainly care if you're profiting off of your use of the logo or claiming it as your own.

But I'm not sure so let's ask him.

What do you think, @TomFulp?

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-12 02:19:29

At 11/12/15 02:07 AM, Sekhem wrote: it's probably cool unless it's the primary focus of the design

if it's like a company shirt with twitter, newgrounds, etc logos it's probably okay

that would be my guess

yes! that what it is, i couldn't say it better my self. it's not about newgrounds or me it's more of an informative thing rather.
kinda like a dvd player where it has all these logos of many companies and formats supported types.

in the end me and newgrounds would gain more closure.

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-12 02:26:25

At 11/12/15 02:11 AM, Bit wrote: Tom probably won't care if it's being used as a way to promote Newgrounds itself or your profile on Newgrounds.

Tom will almost certainly care if you're profiting off of your use of the logo or claiming it as your own.

What do you think, @TomFulp?

the logo is not just to promote newgrounds or me. it will be use more like an informative shirt and or products. newgrounds will serve as my distributor for my work just like youtube. the logos will not be part of the main design it can be located in a corner and in small proportion but just enough so that it don't bother the rest of the designs.

i already ask tom and still has not return my massage, i was hoping you guys had 1 sense i get more faster replies.

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-12 02:29:50

At 11/12/15 01:58 AM, ToonymanStudios wrote:
At 11/12/15 01:55 AM, Gimmick wrote: Does nobody remember F.A.D.E.D 365 any more????
never heard of it!, what is that?

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1310239/1

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-12 09:25:03

At 11/12/15 02:11 AM, Bit wrote: Tom probably won't care if it's being used as a way to promote Newgrounds itself or your profile on Newgrounds.

Agree - if you are just making a shirt to wear for yourself, it's cool to stick an NG logo on there. If you intend to mass produce a shirt to sell, it's best to stick with promoting your own work and not mix the logo in with it.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-12 10:29:21

At 11/12/15 09:25 AM, TomFulp wrote: Agree - if you are just making a shirt to wear for yourself, it's cool to stick an NG logo on there. If you intend to mass produce a shirt to sell, it's best to stick with promoting your own work and not mix the logo in with it.

Even if he puts something like a link to his profile on the shirts?

The cake is a liar!

BBS Signature

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-12 10:51:14

At 11/12/15 09:25 AM, TomFulp wrote: Agree - if you are just making a shirt to wear for yourself, it's cool to stick an NG logo on there. If you intend to mass produce a shirt to sell, it's best to stick with promoting your own work and not mix the logo in with it.

I don't know, still better ask Tom first

Response to Need help with Copyright Issue??? 2015-11-12 15:57:38

At 11/12/15 09:25 AM, TomFulp wrote:

Agree - if you are just making a shirt to wear for yourself, it's cool to stick an NG logo on there. If you intend to mass produce a shirt to sell, it's best to stick with promoting your own work and not mix the logo in with it.

thanks tom I can totally do that. it was never really going to be for sell, it more of a way for peeps to find me if they like my work and for newcomers as well. it was also not my intention to mix it up more like a way for them to find me, kinda like if i made a dvd case with only my work in it the NG logo would be somewhere in the front bottom corner or back at bottom (although the dvd part may actually be sold) would that still be ok? it won't be mix with the main designs.

if you want i can make a dvd cover with samples so you can see what i mean it's really no trouble. the ng logo would be a reference point for peeps to find me. there be other logos there as well, of places where I keep my work like here and youtube and my website (WIP) and other places.