00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vaittus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie

2,441 Views | 26 Replies

Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2015-10-28 15:41:36

The movie's been announced in 2013 but the release date kept getting changed. The new release date is April 29 2016.

Here's the 2016 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZqmL677X-g

Unlike some video game-based movies, this one doesn't look like it'll suck.

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2015-10-28 15:53:17

Looks alittle too cheesy imo.

I feel like Hollywood (or whatever you want to call it) takes things people once loved and brutally butt rapes them.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2015-10-28 15:56:14

At 10/28/15 03:52 PM, Cordyceps wrote: there's a video games forum for a reason

The line is hazy when it's about a movie or a TV series, as shown here:
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1369429

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2015-10-28 15:58:03

At 10/28/15 03:56 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:
At 10/28/15 03:52 PM, Cordyceps wrote: there's a video games forum for a reason
The line is hazy when it's about a movie or a TV series, as shown here:
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1369429

Just because someone else was being retarded doesn't mean that nobody will call you out.

At 10/28/15 03:41 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: Unlike some video game-based movies, this one doesn't look like it'll suck.

I agree, this is gonna be worth a watch at least. I can see a remastered Chairman Drek and I'm guessing the robot is a redesigned Dr. Nefarious, no Lawrence though, I hope he's in there somewhere with his sarcastic comments and maybe an appearance from his band or a bass solo.

Looks Qwark heavy. This is a good thing.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2015-10-28 16:46:33

At 10/28/15 04:44 PM, Decky wrote:
At 10/28/15 03:41 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: Unlike some video game-based movies, this one doesn't look like it'll suck.
I agree, this is gonna be worth a watch at least. I can see a remastered Chairman Drek and I'm guessing the robot is a redesigned Dr. Nefarious, no Lawrence though, I hope he's in there somewhere with his sarcastic comments and maybe an appearance from his band or a bass solo.

Looks Qwark heavy. This is a good thing.

I wonder which other Rachet and Clank characters will end up in the movie... Courtney Gears?

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2015-10-28 16:53:33

At 10/28/15 04:46 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: I wonder which other Rachet and Clank characters will end up in the movie... Courtney Gears?

She was terrible. I wonder if they'll get Neil Flynn back to voice The Plumber or will they settle for the Jess Harnell again.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2015-10-28 16:58:43

As a fan of the games I'm actually excited for the movie. There's a lot of nostalgia attached to the games of course but knowing that going in helps to manage expectations appropriately. I just hope there's at least a bit of humor in there that's more like the games than the trailer.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2015-10-28 19:52:29

At 10/28/15 05:47 PM, Hoodie wrote: So it's basically just the first game? lol

Yeah but they changed the plot quite a lot. Talwyn Apogee is in there and Dr. Nefarious pre-robotization works for Chairman Drek. Nefarious is from the third game and Apogee is from R&C Future.

Also a big change is that Ratchet's not a reluctant asshole who only saved the world because Captain Qwark was a little puss and joined the bad guys. Everybody seems to hate Asshole Ratchet except for me. I guess him being a starry eyed youngster who wants to join the space police isn't too bad, but that'll really ruin a lot of interaction between him and the other characters. And there's no way they can top the conclusion to Asshole Ratchet's character arc.

They made minor redesigns to Chairman Drek which concerns me. They gave him normal eyes and recast him with Paul Giamatti. Everybody retained their original voices except for Drek. He doesn't look like the irredeemable bastard he was in R&C1. Instead he just looks like that CEO archetype who's painted as evil because anyone richer than you is evil.

Since the plot of R&C1 could easily be bastardized into The Lorax in Space, I'm kinda worried that they're going to make Drek not truly evil. Maybe they'll reveal that he was only evil because he had to compete with his older brothers for his mother's affection and he was making the perfect planet for her or something. But this is just a wild backless guess about the plot. I think Insomniac was overseeing the creation of the movie so I doubt the directors could pull that kind of bullshit and get away with it. Whatever they do, I hope they keep the part about Qwark selling out.

The movie looks promising and hopefully it'll spark a comeback for Ratchet & Clank games. And hopefully we'll get a new one that's longer than 3 hours on your first playthrough.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2015-10-28 23:00:09

Are the games good? Never played them.

BBS Signature

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2015-10-29 00:00:40

Wasn't that racoon from the same devs going to have a movie?

I never got into those games, just Jak and Daxter. Don't know if they're related and I don't bother to gts

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2015-10-29 00:24:29

At 10/28/15 11:00 PM, Avery wrote: Are the games good? Never played them.

Every one of them is a blast but they run terribly on emulators. Pick up the trilogy on the PS2 if you can. The HD remake has some jarring graphical issues.

BBS Signature

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2015-10-29 00:27:26

At 10/29/15 12:24 AM, Chdonga wrote:
Every one of them is a blast but they run terribly on emulators. Pick up the trilogy on the PS2 if you can. The HD remake has some jarring graphical issues.

Maaaaaaybe if they remake for the PS4, I don't have a ps2.

BBS Signature

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2015-10-29 08:17:57

At 10/29/15 12:27 AM, Avery wrote:
At 10/29/15 12:24 AM, Chdonga wrote:
Maaaaaaybe if they remake for the PS4, I don't have a ps2.

They're remaking 1, but it's going to have a lot of changes to reflect on the movie. So don't treat it like the PS2 version.

BBS Signature

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2016-04-29 18:36:10

The movie is in theaters now, in case you didn't get the memo.

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2016-04-29 20:28:19

I had some slight hope for this one, considering I'm a fan of the games. The reviews are slamming it, shoulda known better.

LORD OF MOOSE 2004

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2016-04-29 22:47:11

I'm actually really wanting to see this.
I don't care if it's getting bad reviews or not, it looks interesting. And I've been a Ratchet & Clank fan since I was a kid.
Same with Sly Cooper. I'm still greatly looking forward to that too.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2016-04-29 23:10:27

It's probably not a coincidence that this animation came out two days before the movie came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKoeSRhF1nc

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2016-04-30 01:07:41

To be blunt I still don't have high hopes for this movie.

It may appeal to hardcore game fans but I'm predicting a book office bomb...

Ratchet and Clank and the Angry Bird Movie... what a year to be alive. I'd honestly love to see a Halo movie but it'll probably not happen.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2016-04-30 02:00:48

At 4/30/16 01:53 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 4/30/16 01:43 AM, Cordyceps wrote: don't get all autistic over saying i have aspergers you shitlord
Sh*t that I didn't read.

You should be glad that you're on the Internet where you can type that response to @Cordyceps with one hand because you'd never be able to say that to him in real life because your mouth is always too full of animal penises.

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2016-04-30 02:06:20

At 4/30/16 02:03 AM, Xenomit wrote: At least I don't shove my retardism down people's throats by telling them to post their movie trailers in a video game forum

So you do admit to bestiality.

Typical furry.

At 4/30/16 01:07 AM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: To be blunt I still don't have high hopes for this movie.

It may appeal to hardcore game fans but I'm predicting a book office bomb...

Ratchet and Clank and the Angry Bird Movie... what a year to be alive. I'd honestly love to see a Halo movie but it'll probably not happen.

I for one wouldn't mind an actual good movie about the Mario franchise (we do not need another Super Mario Bros. 1993).

Hopefully after there's a good Mario movie that's based on the main games, there'll be a movie based on one of the Mario RPGs (most likely the original Paper Mario game, since Super Mario RPG is dual-owned by SquareEnix and Nintendo, although this didn't stop the team behind Wreck-It Ralph to get the character rights from more than one gaming company).

Hopefully there'll be remixes of popular Mario battle themes in a Mario movie.

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2016-04-30 02:23:52

At 4/30/16 02:13 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 4/30/16 02:07 AM, TheGamechanger wrote: Hopefully after there's a good Mario movie that's based on the main games, there'll be a movie based on one of the Mario RPGs (most likely the original Paper Mario game
If they use any paper mario game, it's gonna be thousand year door god damn it

I agree, but I kinda have a feeling that won't happen since it's more likely that they'll do movies of each game in order. My guess is that only the first three Paper Mario games will get movie versions.

So, if a movie on one of the Mario RPGs was made, what would the animation be like? Would it be the same style as the Paper Mario series or would it be similar to the main series games? Or would it be a mixture of live-action and the standard designs from the main series games?

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2016-04-30 02:42:18

At 4/30/16 02:28 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 4/30/16 02:23 AM, TheGamechanger wrote: I agree, but I kinda have a feeling that won't happen since it's more likely that they'll do movies of each game in order. My guess is that only the first three Paper Mario games will get movie versions.

So, if a movie on one of the Mario RPGs was made, what would the animation be like? Would it be the same style as the Paper Mario series or would it be similar to the main series games? Or would it be a mixture of live-action and the standard designs from the main series games?
1. Don't ever use live action for video games that aren't set in a real world environment.

2. If you're gonna make a movie about the paper mario games, you have to do it in the same style.

Got it.

So, who would compose the movie's music, assuming that the soundtrack is going to be full of remixes including final boss themes? Yoko Shimomura?

Also, if the movies expands upon the game's lore, then there needs to be a new game that's based on the movie.

For example: Paper Mario TTYD gets an updated release with updated graphics. There'll be bonus fights with characters that didn't appear in the original game, such as the Four Heroes that the Shadow Queen battled in the past regaining their original forms after being cured from the curse the Shadow Queen cast on them that turned them into the Black Chest Demons.

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2016-04-30 15:14:59

So I saw it in theaters the other day and I gotta say, I was satisfied. There were only a handful of people in the theater, but there was this one scene that came out of complete nowhere, and everyone in the theater lost their shit over it. It was a great experience. I'm really glad that the scene wasn't spoiled in the trailers.

My only qualm was that they couldn't have made it any more obvious that Dr. Nefarious was going to betray Chairman Drek. There's this scene where one of the Rangers shows Clank a mugshot of Dr. Nefarious and tells him that he's evil, as if the audience wouldn't get that from his name. And I think they didn't explain why Nefarious wanted to blow up the galaxy. They mentioned that he turned evil because he was bullied by Captain Qwark. They should have thrown in a line that he wanted to destroy Qwark's livelihood as revenge or something.

I found it kind of hammy how they name-dropped weapons like it was an ad for a toy line, but it was done as tastefully in my eyes.
I would have preferred Kevin Michael Richardson as Chairman Drek, but I can see why they chose to recast him. He gives off too much of a discount Darth Vader vibe, and he'd sound more menacing than Nefarious. Acceptable losses, I guess.

I would have liked the Blargian Snagglebeast fight to have made it in the movie, but it was already packed with boss fights, so I can't complain. They also dropped the ball by not adding a new prefix to Drek's title every scene.

They made a lot of retcons to the game but there were also a ton of references to the original trilogy and the Future games. I think this movie had a ton of meddling from execs who wanted it to be some generic family movie shlock, because when the humor falls, it falls hard. Characters make a ton of pointless snarky comebacks that all feel like they were shoehorned in to stop the movie from being 100% inside jokes. You can really tell what lines were written in by the writers and what the execs added in.

R&C got terrible scores on Rotten Tomatoes and I can only assume it's just getting slammed by people who didn't play the games. It's also being marketed like dogshit so I have zero hopes for a theatrical release of a sequel. Unless, God forbid, they decide to sell out.

I like to think that the retcons were all made because they didn't want to rehash the cutscenes and call it an original movie, but I still think they missed out. R&C 1 had a really good story and Insomniac would be remiss if they don't end the rebooted trilogy with Ratchet going "That's not how it happened!" then summarizing the plot in a more accurate portrayal.

TL;DR: As far as game-based movies go, this is the best one in the mainstream. As a letter to the fans, it's as good as it can be, I suppose. As a standalone family film, it's terrible. Any problem you might have can be chocked up to meddling executives. And if you can accept this as an alternate timeline or something, you'll be able to get over the retcons pretty easily.

Also I predicted they were going to retcon Drek to be blowing up planets for his mother's affection. He was doing it for his father!

Oh, and the Plumber makes an appearance. He has no lines but he's wearing a shit-eating grin during his bit of screen time.

BBS Signature

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2016-04-30 22:58:35

Isn't Ratchet supposed to be more of a jerk? That was what made him interesting, he wasn't a boring character. Nothing about this trailer shows him to have those anti-hero traits that made him unique.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Ratchet & Clank 2016 Movie 2016-05-01 06:04:05

At 4/30/16 10:58 PM, Kwing wrote: Isn't Ratchet supposed to be more of a jerk? That was what made him interesting, he wasn't a boring character. Nothing about this trailer shows him to have those anti-hero traits that made him unique.

In the first game he had selfish reasons for the first 3/4 of the game, then he developed empathy in the last quarter. Ratchet 2 he just liked being a hero. Ratchet 3 he only went back to help cause his home planet was under attack then got roped into helping the rest of the galaxy... So yeah I guess it wasn't totally out of the kindness of his heart.