00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YoungInfamous just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Vector graphics and performance

438 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Vector graphics and performance 2015-09-23 22:43:01

Making a Flash app game. This is the first time in awhile that I've had any interest in making my art assets with vector graphics and I want to do this so that when the game is resized to a bigger screen, it doesn't lose any quality. I could be completely wrong about that, but I assume that bitmap graphics would just lose their definition and look like crap when made larger.

Most of the advice I'm finding online is to just use bitmaps instead of vector graphics, but I'm not sure I want to give up on them yet.

Any advice on using vectors or mobile games at all is much appreciated. I'm still using things like addChild() and movieClips for everything, if that gives you any perspective.

Response to Vector graphics and performance 2015-09-23 23:54:36

Well yes, the flash vector renderer is quite slow. I think I once tried to draw a checkerboard using a shape's graphics and it used about 500 MB RAM (!!!) and whenever I moved it the framerate would drop crazy. Replaced it with tiles of individual Bitmap instances and used far far less and was much faster.

I'd think that if you create the textures at a high enough resolution and scale them down, then users wouldn't really notice when you scaled them back up again, since they wouldn't lose much quality. However you are right about them losing quality when you scale them up above their original size.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Vector graphics and performance 2015-09-25 03:17:43

At 9/24/15 09:54 PM, Doomhammr wrote: If you use higher resolution bitmaps than what you need, you'll be able to scale the game larger and have some wiggle room before the quality begins to suffer.

.. I could do that, but it might have to wait until the end when I've decided on the exact scale of everything.

I've been reading more into making vectors run a bit smoother and came across something called cacheAsBitmap. I'm going to give this article a better read later on, but it sounds promising.