00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Amandaerkul78 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Many questions! Share your input!

452 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Many questions! Share your input! 2015-09-08 03:47:14

Hello lads!

So basically I have wanted to draw forever. Ever since i was a wee lil boy i loved to doodle and draw, but was never good at it!
I always wanted to be the best drawer in art class, but everyone around me seemed to have such wider imaginations and a higher skill level than i did!
So, i have decided, i am gonna do it! (Disclaimer: I am referring to drawing with pencils and such!)

So i have a few questions!

1. Are art classes effective?

A mate of mine suggested taking art classes, but i am unsure on this.
Has anyone taken a class before? If so, what types of things should i aim at learning/focusing on in a typical class!

2. How do you stay motivated to draw?

I seem to get side tracked every time i want to draw, like a mate wants me to play a game, or i want to do this, blah blah blah. How do people stay motivated to keep drawing (extra motivation needed for me because im trash at the moment!)

3. Anything else i should know? Tips and tricks? Anything?

Is there anything at all that you can provide me that will help me progress and such? If so, please let me know!

Thanks for reading everyone!
Hope you all have a lovely day, and succeed in any projects/art you are currently working on!

Cheers!
Love, cute

BBS Signature

Response to Many questions! Share your input! 2015-09-08 04:26:24

how do I get to ireland from my where I am standing right now?
I would need to know where you are to give you directions to help get you where you want to be. what do you mean "art classes?" like in high school or a paid adult education self improvement type thing? there is no magic secret to arting. just go for it. practice. after that try practicing and then maybe, if there is time, you could always practice. just dive in and then practice. everything you do will probably be worthless crap for a while but keep going. find art you like and copy it the way a musician would play songs to assess your skills. watch bob ross. oh and practice once in a while.

Many questions! Share your input!

Response to Many questions! Share your input! 2015-09-08 04:32:07

I would need to know where you are to give you directions to help get you where you want to be. what do you mean "art classes?" like in high school or a paid adult education self improvement type thing? there is no magic secret to arting. just go for it. practice. after that try practicing and then maybe, if there is time, you could always practice. just dive in and then practice. everything you do will probably be worthless crap for a while but keep going. find art you like and copy it the way a musician would play songs to assess your skills. watch bob ross. oh and practice once in a while.

Paid art classes, graduated from high school years ago!
And aye mate, gonna try and practice more and more!
\And thanks for the quick tips!

BBS Signature

Response to Many questions! Share your input! 2015-09-08 12:33:24

1. Are art classes effective?

Eh, for me... somewhat. I mainly draw with a mouse and computer and I rarely use pencils for stuff. The class was predominantly pencil focused, so that might be better suited for you. We mostly did still lifes (Where you meticulous study objects and draw them.) The class was mainly focused on realistic drawing, which for me is something I've never been interested in. I'm more of a fantastical cartoonist. Assuming all drawing classes are excactly the same, expect something like that : )

Motivation is a real mystery. Sometimes I draw even when I don't want to because a lot of the time I become engrossed in what I'm making and I want to keep going. Sometimes it helps to push yourself in things you don't wanna do. That's just my opinion though. And also, don't be hard on yourself. Don't worry what others may think of your art. If you like what you've drawn then it's great.

Do your own thing. Style comes from people who dare to be different.

Hope this was at least somewhat helpful. It sounds like you love drawing and you have fun doing it, and that's what's most important. Good luck, Mr Cute, and have fun : )

BBS Signature

Response to Many questions! Share your input! 2015-09-08 17:35:21

At 9/8/15 12:33 PM, Bertn1991 wrote: Don't worry what others may think of your art. If you like what you've drawn then it's great.

yep. this. do it for you. and if someone else likes it that's their problem.
make something personal. the more personal the more likely its universal. and the more universal you try to make something the less personal, more commercial, bland, less artistic and interesting it becomes.

Response to Many questions! Share your input! 2015-09-08 17:44:28

At 9/8/15 03:47 AM, cute wrote: 1. Are art classes effective?

It all depends on the teacher. Art lessons, be they online or physically close to you, have their strengths and drawbacks. If you have an effective teacher who can bring out the best in you without constantly putting you down, you have an asset. If, however, you have a teacher who is a stickler for "certain types of art" while dismissing others, well..... I don't think that's a good outlook to have.

Draw with @Jazza is the next best thing to a physical art class, if you'd like to see lessons on YouTube. Not only is it dealing with technique and cheats for artists, but also humility as an artist, and I like that.

The trouble is, I don't. Motivation comes and goes. And at the moment, despite me colouring faces really quickly and whatnot, I'm going through a low artistic and emotional period. But like all things, we should remember that this, too, shall pass.

Jazza's YT channel should have some.

I have my own tips of the trade, but whether they apply to you depends on what you use as your art program or method of drawing. At any rate, ask what they may be, and I'll be glad to share what I know.

Hope you all have a lovely day, and succeed in any projects/art you are currently working on!

Thank you. You are a kind soul.

Response to Many questions! Share your input! 2015-09-09 01:08:05

Are art classes effective?
Only if you are willing to learn and improve.

How do you stay motivated to draw?
This answer will vary by person, but for me, it's seeing those who are better than me and wanting to improve myself because of it. I don't want to be content with where I am.

Anything else i should know? Tips and tricks? Anything?
Don't take any shortcuts. Don't start learning anime before you know realism. Don't buy a new tablet because you think it'll make you a better artist. Keep making new art. You can only improve if you keep doing it. Each time, look at what went right, what went wrong, and what you can change. If working with a digital program, spend time getting to know the ins and outs of that program. Don't just download a brush pack, make them yourself. It will help you better learn how they work, and you will get exactly what you want.

Response to Many questions! Share your input! 2015-09-09 13:49:31

Art classes are only as effective as your drive to learn and improve as an artist. So I'd say definitely go take a drawing class, but also seek knowledge outside of school. 'Digital tutors" it's a great source for learning, also try and watch other artist's speedpaints and live streams. It really helps to watch the masters at work. Check out "Artgem" too.

BBS Signature