00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

7s3s just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice?

3,009 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-15 01:50:49

So recently my Playstation 2 is becoming very unstable. It's being more finicky with discs and with increased frequency of random game-freezings. I'm not really a fan of excessive save points but it's come to the point where I need them only because I can never know when my Playstation 2 will decide it's time to just freeze a game, requiring yet another reset and reload of save data. Needless to say this is rather annoying.

"Just get a PS3, PS4, XBox, XBox360, XBox One" are not valid answers. For one thing, the games will not be identical across those, nor can I play PS2 games except on select early models of PS3 which I'm not going out of my way for. Even at that I can't be sure all the PS2 games I have would work.

I will say I think the spindle motor is getting weak because it doesn't seem like discs are spinning up as fast as they should. But it's possible there's something wrong with the reading laser as well.

Why can't Sony just make products that'll last you for years, like Nintendo could? All my old Nintendo systems still work perfectly fine. And if we want to base it strictly on optical disc systems, my GameCube still works perfectly fine and that's in the same gaming era as PS2. Plus at least my GameCube controllers don't melt, unlike the PS2 controllers.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-15 02:04:18

Maybe just use an emulator on your computer? I haven't done PS2 emulation myself (I've only gone up to PSX/Saturn), but from what I understand you can get pretty flawless performance, as well as save states, frame skip, and all those kinda goodies.

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-15 02:17:28

At 8/15/15 02:04 AM, thebitterroost wrote: Maybe just use an emulator on your computer? I haven't done PS2 emulation myself (I've only gone up to PSX/Saturn), but from what I understand you can get pretty flawless performance, as well as save states, frame skip, and all those kinda goodies.

You know, that's actually not a bad idea. If I can find something that works well-enough game-compatibility-wise, that is.

Should be legit providing I'm using official game discs, and get any necessary BIOS files from my existing PS2, right?

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-15 03:32:50

At 8/15/15 02:17 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Should be legit providing I'm using official game discs, and get any necessary BIOS files from my existing PS2, right?

That's what the emu website disclaimers tend to say, at least.

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-15 05:02:53

I used to own a PS2, it only survived for 7-8 years. It was fixable but we decided not to. Take it to those cheap non-proffesional looking shops and ask them if they can repair it. Don't try info from the internet. It should not cost a lot, about 10-20 bucks is enough.

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-15 05:10:59

At 8/15/15 05:02 AM, ArcadeDominator wrote: I used to own a PS2, it only survived for 7-8 years. It was fixable but we decided not to. Take it to those cheap non-proffesional looking shops and ask them if they can repair it. Don't try info from the internet. It should not cost a lot, about 10-20 bucks is enough.

Nah, I'd rather good do-it-yourself info from the Internet. If I can't fix it, I doubt anyone outside of Sony could fix it.

But it's also a question of if it's even worth fixing.

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-15 09:19:12

Emu requires a very good computer. It is one of the best options though. This sounds like the old laser issue. You could get another one and do it yourself (be warned: You need to remove a solder dot before installing it) and, of course get the right part. Better yet, you could buy a brand new ps2 slim. They are pretty reasonable.

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-15 09:41:28

Buy a another PS2, they're like what? $10?

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-15 12:26:17

PS2's are fairly cheap in pawn shops and whatnot these days. Maybe you could replace it? If not Emulation is probably your best bet. I'm sure your computer could handle it.

brains.

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-15 14:54:54

At 8/15/15 01:50 AM, NeonSpider wrote: So recently my Playstation 2 is becoming very unstable. It's being more finicky with discs and with increased frequency of random game-freezings. I'm not really a fan of excessive save points but it's come to the point where I need them only because I can never know when my Playstation 2 will decide it's time to just freeze a game, requiring yet another reset and reload of save data. Needless to say this is rather annoying.

If you're getting read errors, you may have to open it up and tighten a screw by the CD drive, you can look it up online, it's very common.

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-15 15:39:05

I've had my PS2 for almost 14 years now and it still plays like brand new. Well, usually anyway.

Your problem sounds like the laser might be dirty. Open up the disc tray, turn the system off with the tray still open, and then take the casing off and clean the laser with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Easy to do. You should also use a can of air spray to clean out all the dust as well.

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | Gamertag: Eddmario

Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-15 17:40:39

Did you end up getting a new PS2 or going with emulation?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-15 18:18:09

At 8/15/15 09:41 AM, iMini wrote: Buy a another PS2, they're like what? $10?

Honestly, this is a really good option, too. Just find one in a pawn shop or garage sale for super cheap. Way less time/money than trying to fix it.

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-16 13:06:29

At 8/15/15 12:26 PM, Zombified wrote: PS2's are fairly cheap in pawn shops and whatnot these days. Maybe you could replace it? If not Emulation is probably your best bet. I'm sure your computer could handle it.

That's highly variable. I don't doubt someone could get a used one for $10 (or even $5 or for free) but it's also far from guaranteed. And that'd be more if I bought it from a flea market or garage sale which, I haven't had good luck with electronics I've bought from flea markets. Or if someone just didn't want theirs and straight-up gave it to you.

If I'm going to a used games place to buy it though, it's going to be far more than $10. (Probably at least $35 or $40 or more)

And besides I like long-term solutions, not having to keep re-buying shoddily-made game consoles every time they fail.

At 8/15/15 02:54 PM, Patcoola wrote: If you're getting read errors, you may have to open it up and tighten a screw by the CD drive, you can look it up online, it's very common.

That's useful information, and thank you. I'm not sure it'll help but it certainly won't hurt anything and might help.

At 8/15/15 03:39 PM, Eddmario wrote: I've had my PS2 for almost 14 years now and it still plays like brand new. Well, usually anyway.

Your problem sounds like the laser might be dirty. Open up the disc tray, turn the system off with the tray still open, and then take the casing off and clean the laser with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Easy to do. You should also use a can of air spray to clean out all the dust as well.

Also useful information, and thank you as well. Yeah I've cleaned it out a while ago so I don't know if that'll help, but it's possible it could need cleaning out again. Another one of those things that might not help but probably won't hurt anything and might help.

At 8/15/15 05:40 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Did you end up getting a new PS2 or going with emulation?

I'm still using the PS2 as-is for the time being but I might take up emulation if it keeps this up and I can't seem to fix it. It actually started acting a bit better these past couple of days so, ... I'll see what happens but if it starts acting up again I'll try some of the DIY advice first, then resort to emulation only if that fails.

At 8/15/15 10:01 AM, mysticvortex13 wrote: gamecube discs on the other hand scratch beyond readability more easily. and the lens that reads them gets damaged, and the b button fragments.

Really? I've never once had that happen to GameCube discs although I've had scratched PS2 discs, but mostly either discs I got second-hand or after someone else used them. If they're discs only I used they tend to be in pretty good shape. And I never had a problem with GameCube controllers breaking down. The buttons are a bit tiny for my liking but they don't seem to break under normal use.

my ps2 controller never melted per se, but it did have the padding shed off the edge of the analog stick.

You've been lucky then. So far I've had two PS2 controller begin the melting process on me, and that would be the initial controller that came with the system brand new, and also an official Sony replacement controller I bought to replace that one, which it's also started doing the same stuff. My best PS2 controller is a no-name bootleg controller which never did that crap.

at any rate, if your compy can handle the ps2 emulation, go for it as was mentioned here. but whether it's legal or not depends on what state you live in.

in some areas, even possession of dissected code is illegal.

This wouldn't be possession of dissected code though. What you're talking about is disassembled code, and this isn't that. If you copy the BIOS files, they're copied as-is, in binary form. They're not disassembled. I'd think that should fall under fair use rights, provided you only ever use one at a time (either the game console or the emulator, but never both at once), using the BIOS files strictly to get the emulation to work. And as for the games, they'd be the on-disc games which could remain on-disc -- no copying there. Just using as-is. So I'm pretty sure that'd be in the clear.

You're not allowed to break any copy-protection, but typically console BIOSes don't have any. And you're not allowed to download or distribute ROMs but this isn't that -- all the games are still on their original discs and would be played that way, and the BIOS files would neither be downloaded nor distributed. And you're typically not allowed to disassemble any code, but this isn't doing that either. I'm pretty sure it would fall into one of the legal use-cases of emulators. The other legal use case being strictly to run homebrew software.

And other than when the DMCA gets you, you are typically allowed to make one backup copy of software, in case you didn't know that. Even with the DMCA you are allowed to do that, although it typically renders this right technically impossible to use. But if you'll notice, in the days before all the copy protection, there would typically be notices on everything saying you were allowed to make exactly one backup copy. It was because they were legally obligated to allow this under consumer fair use rights.

So I mean, if you want to research up any of this, or feel you need to, consult a lawyer or such, and I'm not a lawyer, but this is just my understanding of it.

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-16 13:45:00

At 8/16/15 01:06 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 8/15/15 05:40 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Did you end up getting a new PS2 or going with emulation?
I'm still using the PS2 as-is for the time being but I might take up emulation if it keeps this up and I can't seem to fix it. It actually started acting a bit better these past couple of days so, ... I'll see what happens but if it starts acting up again I'll try some of the DIY advice first, then resort to emulation only if that fails.

Maybe you will get lucky and your PS2 will continue to work. Emulation is always a great back up.

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-16 21:32:34

Just get a PS1.

O' Sawma Banawna! And how!

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-16 22:06:16

get a new one.

seriously. they're not that expensive, especially usd (as low as $30-40.) brand new you might need $150-200, but, that's any console.

but it's prolly just dirty. pop it open, get some compressed air, and clean it out. could be dusty.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-18 03:17:16

At 8/16/15 10:06 PM, TOXlCITY wrote: get a new one.

seriously. they're not that expensive, especially usd (as low as $30-40.) brand new you might need $150-200, but, that's any console.

but it's prolly just dirty. pop it open, get some compressed air, and clean it out. could be dusty.

Maybe you're okay with spending that kind of money every few years to re-buy all existing broken consoles, but I'm not. When I buy things I prefer for them to last unless it's just really cheap, and $30 to $40 replacement is not what I would consider really cheap. Really cheap would be like $5. At the very most $10. And I've already addressed that issue earlier in this thread.

So, no, I don't consider re-buying everything every few years as a "solution".

And don't be like "Well a new game costs like $60". Yeah I know, and also I don't buy new games either. In the past I'd wait for things to go to discount prices or buy used, with buying new being the extreme exception. And I'm not much interested in newer consoles anyway -- I'd prefer to just keep what I have, provided it works, and when it doesn't I'd prefer to fix it myself or find cheap alternatives.

What might not seem like a lot of money to you is a lot of money to other people. Maybe you just have a lot of money laying around but I tend to conserve what I have as far as personal entertainment purchases go.

$100 a year or so is about the most I'm willing to spend on entertainment. I'm not going to sink thousands of dollars into consoles over the years (which if you have to keep re-buying does add up)

If I can fix something myself or if there's an inexpensive workaround is what I'm going to try first.

But yeah it seems to be doing okay for the time being so ... I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-18 19:00:03

At 8/16/15 01:06 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 8/15/15 12:26 PM, Zombified wrote: PS2's are fairly cheap in pawn shops and whatnot these days. Maybe you could replace it? If not Emulation is probably your best bet. I'm sure your computer could handle it.
That's highly variable. I don't doubt someone could get a used one for $10 (or even $5 or for free) but it's also far from guaranteed. And that'd be more if I bought it from a flea market or garage sale which, I haven't had good luck with electronics I've bought from flea markets. Or if someone just didn't want theirs and straight-up gave it to you.

If I'm going to a used games place to buy it though, it's going to be far more than $10. (Probably at least $35 or $40 or more)

And besides I like long-term solutions, not having to keep re-buying shoddily-made game consoles every time they fail.

Dude, the PS2 came out 10+ years ago, I don't know about you, but I'd consider that a pretty long-term solution. Shoddily-made, ha! They only just stopped making PS2's in 2013, so you'll be able to get really new ones that'll last at least 10 more years, and will be a much less burdensome and green than running an emulator on a PC.

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-19 06:47:48

At 8/18/15 07:00 PM, iMini wrote: Dude, the PS2 came out 10+ years ago, I don't know about you, but I'd consider that a pretty long-term solution. Shoddily-made, ha! They only just stopped making PS2's in 2013, so you'll be able to get really new ones that'll last at least 10 more years, and will be a much less burdensome and green than running an emulator on a PC.

Because I don't want my systems just to last 10 years. I'm still running my original Nintendo Entertainment System from the 1980s and it still works perfectly fine and never has any problems. Oh and if you mention the "blowing on your games" thing, if you clean your games before using them you'll never have that happen but if that's already happening you'll have to clean your NES and all of your games. That's just because people had a habit of not using the game sleeves and playing dirty games all the time.

I keep very good care of my stuff so it's not like it should just be crapping out on me unless it just wasn't made very well in the first place. So, yes, as compared to my older systems which still run exactly as they did 25+ years ago and probably will continue to run flawlessly for years to come, anything which isn't lasting that long just isn't made very well.

Total number of malfunctioning problems I've had with anything I've ever bought which has been official Nintendo? Precisely zero. The only reason I didn't buy into the Nintendo Wii or newer stuff is because I don't much care for motion-sensor gameplay. I don't fault them for trying a new idea but it's just not my thing.

Meanwhile systems made by Microsoft have famous "red ring of death", and systems made by Sony have their own problems. Even if it wasn't this reading problem, there's still no excuse for the controller melting phenomenon. I've never had any controllers do that apart from official Sony Playstation2 controllers which were purchased brand new and which both started doing the same stuff after a few years, and one as a replacement for the other once it started doing that stuff even. My best Playstation2 controller is literally some no-name generic Chinese controller I bought at a flea market. Because somehow that unofficial Chinese company knew how to make precise controllers which don't start melting after a few years of use; something which apparently Sony was unable to do.

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-19 12:56:51

At 8/19/15 06:47 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 8/18/15 07:00 PM, iMini wrote: Dude, the PS2 came out 10+ years ago, I don't know about you, but I'd consider that a pretty long-term solution. Shoddily-made, ha! They only just stopped making PS2's in 2013, so you'll be able to get really new ones that'll last at least 10 more years, and will be a much less burdensome and green than running an emulator on a PC.
Because I don't want my systems just to last 10 years.

This is all anecdotal evidence, stop being so fucking stubborn, I've never heard of a PS2 just breaking out of nowhere. Just get a new PS2 goddamn it.

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-19 13:53:58

Do you have an original fat PS2 or a slim model? The slim versions have an issue that can show up if you play it a lot where the lid doesn't latch in all the way and the game freezes because the system things the lid got opened. Generally you can fix it by just putting an empty game case on the cover just for a little extra weight to hold it down.

The slim is also nice because the lid gives you easy access to the laser so you can easily clean it off. Dirty lasers are a not uncommon issue and all you need is a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol to clean it off. If you have an original fat PS2 you have to open everything up which is a bit of a hassel. Of course your problem might just be because it's older and accumulated dust might be causing the system to heat up and freeze so opening it up and using some canned air to dust everything off might solve your problems too.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-19 14:01:02

And as for the controller melting I assume you're talking about the analog sticks. It's probably just overuse. They're made of a slightly soft rubber and eventually the sweat and oils from your hand will eat away at it and repeated use will wear it down. I've never had that issue personally, but I don't really use my PS2 all that much anymore so I guess I haven't put the same amount of wear and tear onto mine. I don't really know if Sony's controllers use a cheaper rubber than Nintnedo's, but guess you've probably just used the PS2 controllers more.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-21 03:19:33

At 8/19/15 01:53 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Do you have an original fat PS2 or a slim model?

Slim

At 8/19/15 02:01 PM, Jercurpac wrote: And as for the controller melting I assume you're talking about the analog sticks. It's probably just overuse. They're made of a slightly soft rubber and eventually the sweat and oils from your hand will eat away at it and repeated use will wear it down. I've never had that issue personally, but I don't really use my PS2 all that much anymore so I guess I haven't put the same amount of wear and tear onto mine. I don't really know if Sony's controllers use a cheaper rubber than Nintnedo's, but guess you've probably just used the PS2 controllers more.

It's the analog sticks but it happens whether you use them or not, I find. When it starts happening you will notice an oil that will form. You can wipe this oil off or clean it off, place the controller down, go off do whatever, come back, and the oil will be there again, or if you use it it'll come back sooner. It's because the cheap rubber itself is degrading into some kind of oil. And then at some point beyond that initial breakdown phase it will become perpetually sticky as it degrades further and further. You can clean it off but it'll just become sticky again in a few minutes.

I never had this happen with Nintendo's controllers. I don't own any Microsoft consoles so I can't say if XBox controllers do that same thing over time or not. And I can say that a cheap no-name Playstation2 controller I bought at a flea market has not done it either, but both official Sony Playstation2 controllers have, both the one that came stock with the system when I bought it brand new, and another official one I also bought new a few years later as a replacement when the first started doing that.

Anyway like I said the Playstation2 seems to be doing a bit better these past few days but I'm still looking into my options.

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-08-21 12:30:23

Getting another PS2 would be my suggestion to you. That's what I did when my SNES died out on me.

You haven't seen me yet.

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-09-07 00:58:17

At 8/15/15 01:50 AM, NeonSpider wrote: So recently my Playstation 2 is becoming very unstable.

I have a PS2 as well and mine did have a few problems itself, ones similar to yours. But all I did was dust it and got it checked out and it was fixed pretty fast and easily.

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-09-07 01:12:36

If your PS2 can't be fixed and you can not afford a new one, you only have one option. The world of Emulators and roms. At the end of the day, you have to do what you have to do.

BBS Signature

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-09-07 01:44:08

At 9/7/15 12:58 AM, adambier123 wrote: I have a PS2 as well and mine did have a few problems itself, ones similar to yours. But all I did was dust it and got it checked out and it was fixed pretty fast and easily.

I opened it up and cleaned it out. The inside wasn't that bad though.

It seems to be doing okay but it seemed to be doing okay a few days prior to opening it up as well so I'm not sure. And prior to that it had a bout of crapping out a bit. But it seems okay at the moment.

At 9/7/15 01:12 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: If your PS2 can't be fixed and you can not afford a new one, you only have one option. The world of Emulators and roms. At the end of the day, you have to do what you have to do.

Yeah I mean it seems okay at the moment.

I have what I need to dump the BIOS to a USB stick if I have need to do that.

If I need to I could run an emulator with the BIOS from my actual PS2, and then my actual game discs (no copies), to keep everything legit. Should be legal under fair use rights I think.

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-09-07 01:48:20

At 9/7/15 01:44 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 9/7/15 12:58 AM, adambier123 wrote:
It seems to be doing okay but it seemed to be doing okay a few days prior to opening it up as well so I'm not sure. And prior to that it had a bout of crapping out a bit. But it seems okay at the moment.

Try getting it checked out

Response to PS2 Starting to crap out. Advice? 2015-09-12 01:54:50

When it comes to shopping for Sony consoles, it's not that hard to find those that are in good condition to even brand new for a good price.

Check it out!