00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NeonBot just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

best type of partner?

970 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

best type of partner? 2015-08-03 08:10:36

In all the time ive worked on my own music, ive had a problem that never really sit right with me; finding people to work with.
ive always just wondered, because of a persons taste in music or specialty in it, just what can make or break a project?

has anyones skill level or skill gap ever made a difference in a song? ive wanted to find someone around my level to work with, but ive never really knew where to ask, how to ask, to find out who would be ideal to work with, or if a person was new and willing to learn along side (these kind of people im not sure if they even come to sites like this).

what do you people think?

Response to best type of partner? 2015-08-03 09:29:47

The best kind of partner is a reflection of yourself.
By this I mean someone who works at the same speed or efficiency as you and has similar goals. Regardless of skill, if they are equally committed as you and work at a similar speed you won't ever have that REALLY annoying situation where you're dying to continue a song but are waiting for them.

There's nothing worse than starting a song to collaborate on then waiting for a week or two to find out they haven't even opened the project.

Solution: I don't work with people very often at all. If I do, I take a step back and go with the flow because very few people are as focused as I am.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to best type of partner? 2015-08-03 15:53:06

At 8/3/15 09:29 AM, MetalRenard wrote: The best kind of partner is a reflection of yourself.
By this I mean someone who works at the same speed or efficiency as you and has similar goals. Regardless of skill, if they are equally committed as you and work at a similar speed you won't ever have that REALLY annoying situation where you're dying to continue a song but are waiting for them.

There's nothing worse than starting a song to collaborate on then waiting for a week or two to find out they haven't even opened the project.

It's sad in a way because I feel the same -- and mine is a genre very seldom tapped into. Even if I've managed to find a partner with similar goals to me, we still need adjusting to do with each other.

Response to best type of partner? 2015-08-03 18:38:48

At 8/3/15 09:12 AM, Lich wrote: I've found the best kind of collaborators & partners you could have are ones who are physically sitting next to you in the room while you both make the track together. Super quick feedback and idea-jotting regardless of experience, a full piece can easily get done in less than a day and then we can order pizza and watch TV after a hard days work.

This.

All the best collaborative efforts I've been involved with were those that happened in person. I've tried collaborative writing with an old bandmate over e-mail, dropbox, and Skype, but it's really not the same thing. Wish it were, would make things a lot easier.
Short of that, I find that the collarborative writing we do is most effective when we essentially come to the table with a mostly-complete song, which for that piece gives the initial writer the "dominant voice" and the partner more of a consultant role. It may not work as well if you've got a radically different rate of producing skeleton tracks.

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to best type of partner? 2015-08-03 20:56:24

As long as we can masturbate together, I'm good for collabing.

p.s. ur gay

Response to best type of partner? 2015-08-03 21:00:04

At 8/3/15 08:56 PM, TheBetterAudioPortal wrote: As long as we can masturbate together, I'm good for collabing.

Not troll-y enough. Losing your edge, buddy.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to best type of partner? 2015-08-03 22:19:52

At 8/3/15 09:00 PM, MetalRenard wrote:
At 8/3/15 08:56 PM, TheBetterAudioPortal wrote: As long as we can masturbate together, I'm good for collabing.
Not troll-y enough. Losing your edge, buddy.

I am not a troll.

p.s. ur gay