00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BrunoVugl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Muse A Day

596 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Muse A Day 2015-07-10 00:51:49

Inspired by the Haiku A Day thread, this thread is a challenge to myself as well as other writers in the forum.

We all have that one thought, feeling, word, phrase, or sentence some days and we think, "Huh, I'll write that down." Sometimes we write it because it may make it into a story or poem. Sometimes we write them to share them with others. Sometimes it can encourage exploration not related to writing.

Some Rules:
1) If you are inspired by something that is not entirely your thought or words and you decide to post it, it will be allowed so long as you give credit where credit is due. For example, if you are musing on a phrase from The Little Prince, remember to say it came from that publication. If you use something by another NG user, please say who it was unless told otherwise. I work in a Writing Lab in the US and I believe in the importance of citations!
Addendum: If you see someone wrote something you had been thinking even though you may have never talked to them before about it, no,this does not necessarily mean that they stole your thought. Sometimes we all share a particular muse--this should not discourage you from exploring your own take on the muse.

2) As much as I know it's in the spirit of NG, please try to refrain from trolling others.

3) You can freely expound upon your muses here but be wary of the length. If you plan on turning a muse into a long post, it would probably best for you to create a separate thread that way it will solely focus on your particular work and feedback you might want will not get lost.

4) The obvious: have fun! This is a way to get creative juices flowing as well as encourage discussion

Here goes:
It is that lurch in the belly.

Response to Muse A Day 2015-07-10 18:27:38

Does the individualistic culture in America influence how we deal with sex and violence?

Response to Muse A Day 2015-07-12 22:02:58

Atticus Finch stood for truth and justice for all people despite any of his own prejudices. I figured he was probably racist because of his time but his sense of how the law worked and what the law was supposed to do for all people superseded that racism.

Response to Muse A Day 2015-07-16 12:19:36

There is not enough tea in the world....

Response to Muse A Day 2015-07-19 01:38:57

Some people are just not content with small things. Yet when we reach for those big things whether it is a school, a career, a life change of sorts, etc. we are frightened by the uncertainty. Some of us have stronger ideals and broader minds that embrace possibility-- others of us must learn to make leaps of faith. The biggest lesson to learn is how to get back up when we fall and to not simply settle for those small things we are told will make us safe.

Response to Muse A Day 2015-07-19 11:15:11

"Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drum..."

-A Perfect Circle, Pet

First time I heard this, it gave me chills. I put the song on whenever I want to get my creative juices flowing, and I just wait for this line.

Response to Muse A Day 2015-07-20 02:22:48

Two Muses for the price of one:

1) "The clouds inside me parted and all that light came shining through..."-- I Love You But I Don't Know What To Say by Ryan Adams

I like this song and this artist in general. Ryan Adams just has some really awesome lyrics-- I find them to be some of the most poetic songs I have ever listened to. This song is especially wonderful and this line in particular sums up how love feels like so very well.

2) It's odd that, when I am attracted to someone, I always imagine them as being a part of a different world. I work with a person I am attracted to and, today, while I was scrolling through some of my posts on New Grounds, he kind of glanced over my shoulder and I had a slight panic attack to where I quickly scrolled away before he could read anything. Later on this afternoon, I kind of told myself not to share anything else with him: don't talk to him or make deep conversation with him lest I want to bare myself to him completely. I'm embarrassed. It's so weird because I feel so open to this person and yet... there is a lot I do not want to or am afraid to share with him.
When I go about daily business without thinking about a person I'm attracted to, I feel more fulfilled. I feel as if they are a part of a separate reality but I do and don't want them to be a part of my normal life.

Is this what its like to be attracted to someone--especially someone who is either attracted to someone else or is taken by someone else? To kind of wish they were a part of your life but at the same time wish the opposite?

Response to Muse A Day 2015-07-23 18:33:32

Human beings are allergic to change.

Response to Muse A Day 2015-07-25 05:49:06

Attraction is an outright bitch, man.

You would think it's like a gentle push towards a person who could potentially be a romantic partner, right? Wrong. So wrong. It will sneak up behind you, punch you in the back of the head--sometimes at the most inconvenient time and sometimes toward the most inconvenient people.

Oh, that new guy they hired over a month ago who you are totally cool talking with? POW! You like him. WHAM! You're leaving for school in a few months! WHOP! He's got a girlfriend-- a really nice girlfriend who you like a lot! LOL good luck for the next few weeks, loser!

So dumb...