00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MiyuTheSceneGirl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Microphone recommendations?

914 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Microphone recommendations? 2015-07-01 15:33:04

I'm seeking a quality microphone. I make music and podcasts, and the majority of what my microphone would be used for is vocals. I'm not the type of person who can afford to spend a grand on a mic, so I'd prefer to be in the $200 and under range. Any meaningful recommendations appreciated.

Response to Microphone recommendations? 2015-07-01 15:44:57

I think , "Blue Microphones Baby Bottle" not bad mic ;)

Response to Microphone recommendations? 2015-07-01 15:47:45

With a $200 budget specifically for a microphone I'd get a Rode NT1-A. It's what I use and for the price it's really great. Plus it comes with a filter and holder, all ready for you in a box. ^_^
You will need a stand which usually cost under $20 for a basic one.
Have you considered you will also need a pre-amp?

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Microphone recommendations? 2015-07-01 17:23:24

At 7/1/15 03:47 PM, MetalRenard wrote: With a $200 budget specifically for a microphone I'd get a Rode NT1-A. It's what I use and for the price it's really great. Plus it comes with a filter and holder, all ready for you in a box. ^_^
You will need a stand which usually cost under $20 for a basic one.
Have you considered you will also need a pre-amp?

I have an NT1-A with the pop filter and holder, but where do I get a stand to place it? Ideally I would like to just place it on my table.

I can find plenty of stands for dynamic mics but none yet for condensers...

what ever microphone you decide to get, just get a pair... stereo pear
?
?
Eventually you will end up wanting one anyway.
Unless.... it's only for vocals

Edit: just looked at your post again... nevermind... *premature*

Microphone recommendations?

Response to Microphone recommendations? 2015-07-02 13:40:49

At 7/1/15 05:23 PM, DL2Electron wrote: I have an NT1-A with the pop filter and holder, but where do I get a stand to place it? Ideally I would like to just place it on my table.
I can find plenty of stands for dynamic mics but none yet for condensers...

Get a normal stand, put it next to your table leaning over the side. That's what I do and it's fine even when I play games online with friends using Skype for voice chat.
Plus that way, when I sing I just stand it up fully and can belt out my metal vocals. WOOOAHHH!

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Microphone recommendations? 2015-07-02 17:00:21

Response to Microphone recommendations? 2015-07-02 17:50:20

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd even go for a condenser if that's your budget. Condensers are a bit more sensitive than dynamics, sure, but that's a double-edged sword. Condensers also aren't as good at picking up high-SPL sound sources, which would be useful if you even wanted to close-mic an amplifier or drum. I figure if you're only going to have a few mics you might as well have one that would work pretty well on just about anything.

A few years ago, I'd have told you to just pick up an SM57 from somewhere. They are an industry standard and can be used on acoustics, snares, amps, voice, or whatever, really. But, after having the plastic grill snap off of several over the span of time, I would instead tell you to get an Audix i5. Very similar sound/usage profile to a 57, but the kicker is that the thing is literally clad in armor and can take any abuse you throw at it. Just my 2 cents, good luck!

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to Microphone recommendations? 2015-07-06 15:36:46

Going off of the initial recommendation for a Blue microphone, I eventually balanced affordability and quality (I think) and got the Blue Yeti used (in perfect condition though) for $100. Just the basic version, not the Yeti Pro.

Could someone tell me if I made a decision I'm not going to regret?