00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lazyliving456 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Political Correctness in Society

3,275 Views | 46 Replies

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:35:44

Sh*t's gonna hit the fan when we start telling Spanish-speaking countries to think up a new word for "black" because it offends Americans.

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:40:01

At 6/23/15 11:31 PM, SansNumbers wrote:
At 6/23/15 11:18 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: Do you agree or no?
Native Americans have been through plenty of turmoil here, and I'm not sure if anyone has surveyed any Native Americans but I feel that if they objected to the use of "redskin" that maybe there should not be sports teams called the Redskins. If they were to object greatly, the continued use of that as a team name would probably be akin to an all-white South African football team being called the Kaffirs.

Why does it matter? Who does it affect? It is just a name, and one that is not meant to be offensive and should not be offensive. If they find offense where none is intended then perhaps they should learn to grow up.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:40:06

At 6/23/15 11:31 PM, SansNumbers wrote: Native Americans have been through plenty of turmoil here, and I'm not sure if anyone has surveyed any Native Americans but I feel that if they objected to the use of "redskin" that maybe there should not be sports teams called the Redskins. If they were to object greatly, the continued use of that as a team name would probably be akin to an all-white South African football team being called the Kaffirs.

I used to work with a lady of Seneca descent, the other manager fucked with her by calling her an "Injun" or "Redskin" and she'd call him a "Pollack" in retaliation. This obviously doesn't speak for everyone, but she wasn't offended because they were only joking, so if it's almost used to a jokingly or formal way (for a lack of better term), I don't see it cause much harm.

You can argue the Redskin name was offensive? But squaw?

Would you be offended if I called you a squaw?

In 1880, maybe...

On the other hand, words only have as much power as you let them have. Some words deserve to keep their weight, like "fuck" or "asshole" or "cunt", because we need heavy or taboo words in the same way music needs dynamics. Taking the power away from racial slurs would be great for all of us, but somehow I doubt that people would be able to handle making that transition, because, from what I've witnessed, you pick up quite a few actual racists while you do that.

I apologize, but I fail to see how "decriminalizing" (I guess) a word would promote racism? A racist will udder the word in spite when it's not socially acceptable.

Your example was kind of strange because you can call someone a "fucking Indian" or a "fucking black person" just as well and there are slurs against Jews.

Yes, you can, but with that added anger to your voice, it implies racism, or hate, whatever the case may be.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:40:34

At 6/23/15 11:35 PM, Bit wrote: Sh*t's gonna hit the fan when we start telling Spanish-speaking countries to think up a new word for "black" because it offends Americans.

Also this isn't even a joke.

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:47:22

At 6/23/15 11:45 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: A presentation in a highschool club about Islam with two Islamic students present. I didn't "shut down", but I felt almost ill.

oh...

k?

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:53:42

At 6/23/15 11:50 PM, SansNumbers wrote: and you're free to continue calling it Squaw Island, unless you prefer my alternative options.

@Chdonga let's hang out on Bumblefuck Island this weekend.

Ok, you gotta elaborate.

ITT; fuckin' elaborate

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-24 00:01:24

Here's a recent article on the subject:

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/pc-wars-ii-the-imperialists-strike-back/

But yeah it's a disease that's destroying this country and making people afraid to speak their minds for fear of being labeled something (like how liberals call anybody who doesn't like Obama or his policies racist).

And the attention whores known as SJW's are contributing to the spread. Luckily it does seem like people are starting to realize how crazy some of these people are.

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-24 00:18:46

The New England Patriots used to be called the Northeast American Racial Majority, but they changed it in 1987. The Dallas Cowboys used to be called the Central Texas Slutfuckers until 1946.

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-24 08:11:38

At 6/23/15 11:50 PM, SansNumbers wrote: I wouldn't know, because I'm not Native American. It's mostly a moot point anyway, because it seems a vast majority of the people complaining about the term are white.

Im quarter native American and I wouldnt see how this would offend me even if I was full. This is merely a team name and presumably logo, hardly offensive at all. If anything removing it was more offensive.

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-24 11:05:50

The biggest reason why the concept of PC exists is because of the negative stigma that is attached to being a racist, bigot and so on, and the average person doesn't want to be lumped in with hate groups like the KKK. That said however, a lot of folks tend to go out of their way to not offend people, which makes it sounds forced at best and completely belittling at worst. Being culturally aware is one thing, bending over backwards in an attempt to placate people when it isn't necessary is quite another.

As a whole, we shouldn't be so thin skinned enough to get insulted over terms like Merry Christmas for example, because that term is largely innocent to begin with. I think Yahtzee said it best when he said that political correctness only serves to drive a wedge between groups of people and a truly tolerant society should be able to laugh off insults.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-24 11:34:23

At 6/23/15 08:10 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote:

How do you feel about this political correctness movement in society

Kill it

Kill it with fire

burn them all

and set up measure so this shit won't come up again.

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-24 11:39:11

At 6/23/15 10:55 PM, Sobolev wrote: Political correctness is about maintaining neutrality. So instead of referring the group of people having below average intelligence as "retards", you call them "mentally challenged".

I don't think it is necessary to do so. The underlying idea is interpreted in the same way regardless of your choice of words. Maintaining neutrality in the choice of words may make the meaning unclear to those who are not familiar with the terms.

This post was typed in a rush so some points may not be clear enough.
Essentially I said regardless of what words you use to describe an object or event, it is likely to be perceived in the same way.

Suppose your boss calls you a "retard" one day for your minor mistakes, it is no doubt offensive because the statement is derogatory. But replacing the word "retard" with a somewhat more "neutral" word does not make the statement less offensive. The effect is the same. He is in principle still calling you a "retard".

Consider the sentence "A supportive, warm home environment is essential to help the mentally handicappedreach their full potential."

It is clearly a positive and objective statement by any standard.

If we say instead "A supportive, warm home environment is essential to help the mentally retarded reach the full potential."

The effect on the audience is very likely the same. The term mentally retarded simply refers to the objective fact that the subject in question is indeed having low intelligence level and it is not used in a way that offends the listener.

You are invited to construct other examples to convince yourself.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

No, people here still don't give a fuck.

What gets me with political correctness is that people don't express themselves honestly and I actually mean that one. What's the point of calling someone homosexual and not faggot if you think of him as a "faggot"? Does that change anything? Make you a better person maybe?

I don't know if this will eventually lead to a better place where discrimination will no longer be a thing, or at least very rare, or it slowly leads to a society of hypocrites only caring about not hurting their social status by acting "out of the normal"-being honest about what they do or don't care for.

Sometimes this comes to my mind when read about political correctness, relevant in some way.

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-24 11:53:27

At 6/24/15 11:49 AM, Amaranthus wrote: I found the perfect place for you.

Edgy Amaranthus

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-24 13:05:28

You have no right to talk.

Should we review your list of preferred insults?

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-24 20:35:04

At 6/24/15 11:54 AM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 6/24/15 11:53 AM, BumFodder wrote:
Edgy Amaranthus
Did you expect anything else from me?

I surely expected something than the epic meme you keep posting

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-25 00:22:32

At 6/24/15 11:36 AM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 6/23/15 08:10 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: I think political correctness is destroying American culture.
America has a culture?

Baseball, apple pie, football, barbecues, hamburgers with fries and a milkshake, sirloin steak, grits, muscle cars, drag racing, keg parties, blues music, rock & roll, side shows, cowboys, rodeos, enthusiasm for firearms, etc... There are so many cultural elements that are unique to America, I probably couldn't even fit all of them into a single post.

America absolutely has a culture, and as a first-generation US citizen, I think it's fucking awesome. I believe that this sort of culture should be embraced and preserved. To me, it symbolizes the strength, the struggles that were overcome by the various people that have lived here, and all the freedoms that people who live in the United States today can enjoy, regardless of their social "class."

It is one of the main reasons why my family immigrated here, and it's one major reason why I refuse to live anywhere else.