00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Thinking about joining the military

2,508 Views | 41 Replies

What's up NGers. Lithuania brought back conscripts because Russia might attack or something, but I don't even care, I wanted to join the military for fun even BEFORE this new law of signing up every man who isn't working or studying and is 18-26 years old.

I just feel a weird attraction towards the military, it would like a vacation from studying graphic design.

So yeah have YOU been to the military?

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 18:31:43

I'm joining it this year, hoping that I can succeed in the Marine Corps boot camp, which I should, considering that I've been training a year and a half and can nail down 10 miles in just above 1:35:00

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 18:36:07

I've been considering it, yeah. I think it'd be a great way to refocus my anger and aggression inti something positive.

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 18:37:01

Why are you joining though?

Because I have a pretty immature point of view. It just seems like good fun to me, like going on a summer camp - except for 9 months. Really I have no good reason, it just seems like it would be interesting to me.

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 18:38:51

no i havent but dont they make you get buzz cuts

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 18:43:13

Yup, I've been in the military. I didn't like it though. It was too filled with idiots and patriots for my taste, and several of the higher ranking dudes really looked down on the recruits, and punished them just for fun (probably for sexual pleasure).
But that's just my experience. If you like it, then try it ;)

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 18:55:05

Hey when you get the chance. Enjoy the spoils of war, kay? I mean have fun pillaging and raping little european villages and what not. You sick fuck.

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 18:56:55

Good luck! I applied for military school too. (Probably won't get accepted anyway)

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 18:58:29

As a former Airmen of the US Air force I can tell you this from my experience. When going through basic do you absolute best not to be that one person your MTI hates. In every flight no matter what there will always be that one guy and he gets it the worst out of everyone.

If you make it through basic just make sure you are ready for school and a lot of it because throughout your career no matter what you do you will be learning constantly so if you are joining as a way to get out of school then you are out of luck big time.

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 18:58:41

At 5/5/15 06:39 PM, dem0lecule wrote: @eatmeatleet is gonna be gunny mate with you.

Quite a few people on NG are from military, or at least ex-military.

@tyler2513 and @PhilTheThrillKessel are in Canadian military. I spent sometime in RCR, 3rd Battalion. @Tremulos is US Air Force. @LucidShadowDreamer was part of Finnish Jäger, a special branch of border guard's military. @Gremlin @Pandasticality and @KatMaestro did military service.

@TailsPrower is currently on duty. He's a medic IIRC.

I didn't know @Gremlin did a stint. That gets him some cool guy points.

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 19:00:36

At 5/5/15 06:29 PM, Lorkas wrote: What's up NGers. Lithuania brought back conscripts because Russia might attack or something, but I don't even care, I wanted to join the military for fun even BEFORE this new law of signing up every man who isn't working or studying and is 18-26 years old.

I just feel a weird attraction towards the military, it would like a vacation from studying graphic design.

So yeah have YOU been to the military?

Well, I don't know what the military is like in Lithuania, but somehow I doubt it would be a lot of "fun" (but then again, who knows, you might enjoy it!) I wouldn't count on it being fun, though. I'm American, but I have respect for anyone who serves their country, regardless of what country they are from. If it's something you really want to do then go for it, but make sure you are really prepared for everything that could happen. Generally speaking, military life is not easy or fun at all, and you could end up in situations that you'd never want to be in. Either way, the choice is yours. Good luck!

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 19:10:35

At 5/5/15 07:06 PM, NotASpammer wrote:
At 5/5/15 06:43 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote:
(probably for sexual pleasure).
But that's just my experience. If you like it, then try it ;)
Sexual pleasure!?! Sounds like my kind of boot camp.

booty camp*

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 19:26:04

At 5/5/15 07:19 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
Given the tough environment and requirement for servicemen, patriotism and stubbornness often eat their way into the mind of a soldier. Sometime it's too much. Yesterday, CTV aired a news about sexual abuse's cases in Canadian military, which tragically led to a servicewoman attempted suicide after she was raped by fellow soldiers at a party. Military is not for the weak minded. Based on what you told me so far, I think you're a very strong man during your service.

You're very correct. Also, people have been known to be stupid enough to accidentally blow eachother (I wish I could end my sentence right here, but here goes) into pieces with grenades and such. Some people have actually shot other guys by mistake o.O
And fallen of cliffs and such.. Suicide in toilets... But it's pretty rare, luckily.

I think that most Finnish people are "strong" in that sense, by nature and culture. We're nothing like our ancestors though, the ones that actually fought against our neighbouring country *cough cough*
I'll have you know that I even cried once in the army! Although most people did and continue to do, several times :'(

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 19:37:57

Seems like you have a misinformed idea of the military. I can't speak for other countries, but as US military goes, there's a lot of bullshit and busy work for no reason. Daily work (not being in a deployed status) is easy to do, but bullshit politics and people get in the way a lot.

What branch are you looking at anyways?

This post will actually appear at the bottom of this page.

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 19:48:06

At 5/5/15 07:34 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
I've heard (and seen) many stupidities happened surrounding the grenade. I think idiots will do it, even after your CO told you million times to avoid the fucking mistakes. I guess they thought their lives worth a YOLO.

Yup. Usually though, only fingers are blown away :)

It's a great nature to be strong like your ancestors. The Winter War is the greatest example of how invaders shouldn't fuck with Finnish.

The reason is pretty funny too. Finland doesn't have an offence army, just a defensive one. But the way we fight is hilarious. We don't have much high tech equipment, but when we're forced to defend the country, we basically fight guerilla style. Which means that we annoy the fuck out of our enemy until they just don't want to fight us any longer, which I guess is pretty effective in some ways. We're also always on home terrain, as Finland usually doesn't go to fight weird wars elsewhere (except if we're helping someone else for reasons). I still don't like the army mentality though, even if it is effective.

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 19:55:22

At 5/5/15 06:29 PM, Lorkas wrote: I just feel a weird attraction towards the military, it would like a vacation from studying graphic design.

You should go for it. Nothing wrong with showing some pride and working for your country.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 19:56:51

Don't. It's not as fun as it looks.

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 19:59:46

At 5/5/15 07:56 PM, Avery wrote: Don't. It's not as fun as it looks.

Someone's gotta do it, even if it ain't fun.

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 20:01:04

At 5/5/15 07:54 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
Yeah I've spent sometime studied about Finland's tactics in WW2. Skiing with Molotov's cocktails versus tanks. How you guys lured the Soviets to their dead trap was gold. Plus, in present, 3 of your neighboring countries are NATO members. I'm pretty sure Russia (or any wannabe invaders) won't be this dumb to repeat the same mistake again.

I sure do hope so! Only time will tell though. Finland isn't Ukraine, but one can never know for sure :/

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 20:02:31

Everybody should try to be serve their nation. The military is not a bad choice.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 20:09:05

At 5/5/15 08:03 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
I was wondering why didn't your country become part of NATO. I understand the decision of trying to keep the neutrality with Russia. However, as we have seen so far, Ukraine got raped, because it didn't become EU member fast enough.

Yes. Mostly, we didn't become a part of NATO for precisely the reason you named. There are some other things too, but mostly that :)

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 20:15:16

At 5/5/15 08:03 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 5/5/15 08:01 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: I sure do hope so! Only time will tell though. Finland isn't Ukraine, but one can never know for sure :/
I was wondering why didn't your country become part of NATO. I understand the decision of trying to keep the neutrality with Russia. However, as we have seen so far, Ukraine got raped, because it didn't become EU member fast enough.

I'm about to get off the computer in a minute so I won't really have time to address this right now, but seeing as how everyone is bringing up the whole Russia vs. Ukraine thing (which is a subject that hits really close to home for me) I gotta just say that Ukraine didn't get "raped" by Russia. Kiev has been doing more raping of it's own people than Russia could ever hope, and Russia's involvement is actually a lot more complex than what's being presented by the western media. I can go into this in more detail when I get back, but I just wanted to throw that in before I left.

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 20:25:34

At 5/5/15 08:11 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
I hope you would never have to go into the conflict. :(

I wish the same for you :O

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 20:29:21

At 5/5/15 08:15 PM, DJ-Ri wrote:
I'm about to get off the computer in a minute so I won't really have time to address this right now, but seeing as how everyone is bringing up the whole Russia vs. Ukraine thing (which is a subject that hits really close to home for me) I gotta just say that Ukraine didn't get "raped" by Russia. Kiev has been doing more raping of it's own people than Russia could ever hope, and Russia's involvement is actually a lot more complex than what's being presented by the western media. I can go into this in more detail when I get back, but I just wanted to throw that in before I left.

Well, sure, everything is complicated. But I wouldn't say that Russia helped the situation much either, by making it into a national issue, and it is clear that Putin and the other leaders have their own agenda. And either way, Russia is one of the more dishonest countries when it comes to letting out information to the public, that is, there is more propaganda than in most places in general (nothing like North Korea though :p). Not to say that governments like the one is U.S. is good either! But there IS a real possibility that Russia would for some reason decide to attack Finland, be it for the past or for other reasons.

At 5/5/15 08:23 PM, dem0lecule wrote: And who's the main actor behind it? Why the fuck did Yanukovych run to Russia when his government fail?

That's the thing. There is no "main actor." There are many actors in this drama, each of whom have a different but nonetheless significant role. The situation is so complex that one could write a Russian novel (no pun intended) about it.

Describe "complex". Taking back Crimea (assuming Russian is still living in USSR mind) because the new opposition was siding with the West, which Russia will lose its only path to the Black Sea. And turning Donetsk into the buffer zone because this was the only area to connect Russia with Crimea.

Anyone could see their motives. Even a political science's freshman.

I don't doubt that there are some purely strategic motives behind Russia's actions. Certainly, Crimea is a vital military asset. However, you also can't ignore the social side of the conflict as well. As someone who is actually from Ukraine, I can speak from personal experience about the major disparities that exist between East and West Ukraine. East Ukraine has for many decades been a Russophone community with strong ties to Russia, and they suffered greatly at the hands of West Ukrainian nationalists/extremists after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Kiev ordered the shelling of civilian population centers in East Ukraine, and gruesome footage of the aftermath can be found on websites such as Liveleak. Russia's involvement in that region also has a humanitarian element that is often ignored by western media, which is seemingly always striving to paint Russia in a negative light. Certainly, Putin is no saint by any measure, but the fact remains that there is far more to the situation than what is being presented in western media and as someone who is actually from Ukraine, I stand firmly by that statement.

At 5/5/15 08:29 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: But there IS a real possibility that Russia would for some reason decide to attack Finland, be it for the past or for other reasons.

I sincerely doubt that Russia would try to attack Finland any time soon, and unless you can think of any really good reason why Russia would do something like that, completely disregarding the obvious consequences of such an action, then I think it is probably safe to assume that something like this won't be happening in the near future.

All that being said, I kinda feel like we hijacked the OP's thread and turned it into an entirely off-topic conversation about Russia and Ukraine, so out of respect for the OP I ask that we continue this discussion elsewhere.

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-05 23:07:06

At 5/5/15 06:29 PM, Lorkas wrote: I wanted to join the military for fun even BEFORE this new law

If you want to enlist for fun, you'll most likely be sorely disappointed. I'm only doing this for the pay, which isn't even that good for the shit they put me up to. At least I don't have a lot of bills to pay, so I'm pocketing most of that check.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-06 00:45:15

good luck with that mate, i heard it would be tough in there.

BBS Signature

At 5/6/15 02:59 AM, mysticvortex13 wrote: no, i've not been to a military facility before. however i did see a couple national guard recruiters drop by my school to sweep up naive people such as yourself once..

Are you implying that national guardsmen are naive? That's kind of uncalled for...

plus i hate authority figures. i wouldnt want to become one myself by joining an organization who's very job is to interfere in foreign affairs. national guard usually stay in their home country so i wouldnt have had much to worry about aside from the being shot and the grueling workouts.. but that's reason enough.

Why do you hate authority figures? Do you think that the world would be better off without any authority figures around to maintain order? What do you think it would be like if everyone else in your country had the same attitude towards the military/authority figures as you? Also, who told you that the military's job is to interfere with foreign affairs? I've always been under the impression that the job of a nation's military is to protect that nation and it's assets.

Also, based on your vivid descriptions of the hardships that a person could face in the military, it would seem that terms like "brave" or "courageous" would be a more appropriate way to describe a recruit, rather than "naive," don't you think?

Response to Thinking about joining the military 2015-05-06 07:47:48

At 5/5/15 06:58 PM, someaveragechap wrote: I didn't know @Gremlin did a stint. That gets him some cool guy points.

I'm a medic with a license to drive, so technically I'm military ambulance driver, though I often got small tasks to wash and check other vehicles and return them back where they were taken from... lazy bastards.

But basically my mission during a war would be evacuation

BBS Signature

Good. Life is an adventure and military is a school.

But I wouldn't suggest you going there if you want "vacation". If you want some organised discipline you should consider scouts. In army you will be psychically molestated in order to turn you into a worthy and loyal soldier. You will be humiliated a lot if you won't show lots of discipline. Army is not fun play.

@Dj-Ri I suggest you don't argue with mv13, he's literally, clinically, objectively speaking a very autistic person. He won't understand sense nor any valid argumentation, and will keep on reacting to keywords instead of keeping in mind context of discussion.