00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

hydrogen power cells and robots

467 Views | 5 Replies

hydrogen power cells and robots 2015-03-05 16:40:21

a long time ago i made a thread about combining the mantis hexapod walking machine and the kuratus battle mech one of the responses i got said that untill hydrogen fuel cells are perfected it wont work. well thats a load of bull shit neither robot used such a device both used used a standard combustible fuel based electric generator for power and work just fine.

you see hydrogen based power generators dont produce any more power then say a diesel generator its just cleaner and cheaper given the fuel shortage (asuming you arent using biodiesel) so really the only difference for use in vehicles is if you have the money to fill the tank or not.

so a combination of the kuratas battle mech torso and the mantis walker wold work just fine with the generators they have already equipped although hydrogen fuel cell does sound cooler then diesel generater. but you would need to use 2 either way to power the advanced systems in the kuratas and the mantis legs

by the way here is a picture of the kuratas link and the mantislink

Response to hydrogen power cells and robots 2015-03-05 17:15:57

At 3/5/15 04:48 PM, Cordyceps wrote: Walkers are pointless because tracked vehicles can go anywhere already

http://youtu.be/VBMUvAUPTGM?t=4m31s

actually there are some terrains such as overly rocky areas or very thick deep mud were tracked vehicles will get stuck but a legged vehicles would work very well in. also getting past anti tank obsticals such as the ones the germains used on
d day that normally have to be blown up (literally blown up) before a tank can get past but a legged vehicle can just walk over or around them.

Response to hydrogen power cells and robots 2015-03-05 18:06:29

Will you be creating robots? We need more robots.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to hydrogen power cells and robots 2015-03-05 18:42:40

At 3/5/15 05:21 PM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 3/5/15 05:15 PM, nanocon wrote:
Excavators do just fine on rocks. Even on big boulders or steep rock faces.

there is a big difference between a tank and an excavator such as a tank is usually much heavier meaning it needs different shocks and treads and they tend to be wider.

Legged vehicles would do very poorly in mud. Tracked vehicles can have trouble, and actually, wheeled vehicles can do very well in mud if properly outfitted.

it really depends on the depth of the mud and the height of the legs

All it takes to disable a legged vehicle is a tripwire, or to immobilize one leg.

that depends on if the legs are syncronized mechanically or computer controled. if they are sync'ed mechanically they are physically connected and thus if 1 is stuck or jammed they all are. if computer controlled it can componsate for the loss of 1 leg even 2 depending on which ones of course.

there is 1 thing you cant argue agenst legs can lift much more wieght then tracks or tires can and remain mobile (weight such as armor and weapons.) since if you put to muchweigt on treads or wheels it will be unable to over come friction and just spin in place. legs on the other hand once made sufficiantly strong do not have this limitation so long as they are properly designed to handle the weight.

Response to hydrogen power cells and robots 2015-03-05 20:54:36

At 3/5/15 06:00 PM, 24901miles wrote: I remember that thread.

Are you actually going to build any robots any time soon? I'd like to talk about robots more often, and I know there are plenty of NGers who (have in the past) built bots and want to do so who probably would like to kick some ideas around.

1v1 me Robot Arena 2: Build and Destroy

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to hydrogen power cells and robots 2015-03-05 21:42:56

If you are able to create what you describe I think it would be quite cool.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.