00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newly Created Paradox?

647 Views | 19 Replies

Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-09 22:14:15

WARNING
This topic will involve heavy thinking. Feel free to post the usual silly Newgrounds stuff, but if you do want to discuss the topic, it will involve lot's of reading and pondering; There is no TL;DR - it's just not possible to make one accurately enough that describes the topic while not leaving out to much info - or at least not the usual short, tiny TL;DR.

I'm not saying I've created a new paradoxical idea or whatever, but I couldn't find one on Google that matched my scenario.

Yes, I'm aware of other mirror paradoxes; however, this is more of a paradox of a perfect mirror dimension rather than mirrors themselves.

Say, fictionally(?), that what we saw in mirrors truly was a mirror dimension, and that every single thing in that universe - from quarks to atoms to waves of energy - perfectly matched ours in mirrored fashion. It would be impossible to prove this was a mirror dimension using any means because, anything we could possibly throw at it, whether it be gamma radiation or micro particles - would be mirrored in the mirror dimension, and thus would be either perfectly bounced back by the equal force or somehow go through itself and appear on our side and merely seem as if it went through.

For example, say we blasted Beta Radiation at a regular mirror. It would seem as if it went through, just as it would with other objects that are not dense enough. However, the mirror dimension in our dimension would be 2-D, and our dimension would be 2-D in the mirror dimension (also another paradox in mirror dimensions by the way; if both dimensions are 2-D in each others dimensions, how is either 3-D+, to keep things simple), so if the beta radiation did somehow manage to pass through to the mirror dimension, it would come out inversely; in other words, it wouldn't come back at you, but bounce "backwards" from your point of view, thus looking as though it went through the mirror instead of into another dimension.

So unless we had a way to uniquely tag our Beta Radiation particles, not even that would disprove that the mirror is simply a regular reflection and not a view into a perfect mirror dimension - and that's assuming that the tagged mirror dimension particles weren't tagged in the exact same way and are identical to ours in the mirror dimension, since it is a perfect mirror dimension and therefore the exact same actions and physical properties exist there as do here. This would also allow balance in both dimensions, since if the particles that do go through into the mirror dimension were not the same, then it would no longer be a true mirror dimension.

Now, you might ask, why would a mirror dimension even exist or how? Well, it could literally be the passing of time itself that we are viewing in the mirror dimension, and although a perfect copy of our own dimension, it can be offset in physical space between each other by such a small fraction it is almost unmeasurable (also would explain how the particles would be able to travel between the dimensions), and that differential in space would not be possible to measure unless you were outside the affected dimensions (ours and the mirrored one) or possibly through highly advanced math - supposing we would be able to get that far in the first place since we would have no way of being able to prove said mirror dimension other than by means of precisely determining if the particle "went through" the mirror in the exact spot it should have or by an almost unmeasurable offset.

Therefore, with current technology (and perhaps technology for thousands of years), we cannot prove whether what we see is truly a mirror dimension or not, although if we had the technology and math for it, would be possible.

And as mentioned shortly before hand, there is that paradox of Two 3-D planes existing with Two 2-D planes simultaneously if said mirror dimension is real.

P.S.
If these mirror dimensions did exist as a result of the passage of time, it would also explain the infinite reflections seen when placing two mirrors facing each other. It would also mean that we are the past, present, and future all at the same time, and while the reflection is our past or future, the same is true for the mirror dimension.

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-09 22:25:12

These kinds of paradoxes are always stupid, because the definition itself makes it impossible to prove or disprove it. The same is true of measurements below one planck, or infinity. By definition, such things cannot be measured, so whether or not they exist, it is impossible to document the existence of it. Even questioning the existence of a higher power makes more sense, since there is at least a possibility of finding it.

At 2/9/15 10:14 PM, Hezio wrote: If these mirror dimensions did exist as a result of the passage of time, it would also explain the infinite reflections seen when placing two mirrors facing each other.

So would the idea that light is simply reflected off of them. Yeesh.

It would also mean that we are the past, present, and future all at the same time, and while the reflection is our past or future, the same is true for the mirror dimension.

Keep in mind that you're already living in the past. By the time light travels from its source to the object you're looking at, and back into your corona, and by the time your brain can process and interpret it, that moment has already come and gone. The more times light reflects off of a surface, the longer path the light has taken and therefore the farther into the past you're looking.

Try harder.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-09 22:42:46

At 2/9/15 10:25 PM, Kwing wrote: These kinds of paradoxes are always stupid, because the definition itself makes it impossible to prove or disprove it. The same is true of measurements below one planck, or infinity. By definition, such things cannot be measured, so whether or not they exist, it is impossible to document the existence of it. Even questioning the existence of a higher power makes more sense, since there is at least a possibility of finding it.

I was just wondering if there is already a proper term or name for such a paradoxical scenario.

So would the idea that light is simply reflected off of them. Yeesh.

Oh, I'm not saying that is indeed just the truth. I'm just saying if it was not true, and said mirror dimension did exist and we did somehow know this, we wouldn't be able to prove it because of the aforementioned reasons - at least, as far as my scope of knowledge in the matter goes. Perhaps someone smarter here than me or an actual scientist related in the field of physics could easily disprove my scenario, I wouldn't know.

Keep in mind that you're already living in the past. By the time light travels from its source to the object you're looking at, and back into your corona, and by the time your brain can process and interpret it, that moment has already come and gone. The more times light reflects off of a surface, the longer path the light has taken and therefore the farther into the past you're looking.

That is simply the "uncoding" of our own perceived reality being registered and administered to us in recognizable fashion that is in the past, due to the limitations you mentioned - Just as our sense of perception of our current surrounding is, to us, our present. I'm speaking about the entire universe being in the past, present, and future under this scenario.

Try harder.

I wasn't trying for anything, I was merely pondering and questioning - mainly, wondering if there are any holes I may not be aware of in my scenario and again, if it could be proven wrong by someone, hence me asking imposing the subject here in the search for someone to show me how it is wrong or, if it is indeed just a paradoxical scenario, or even a true paradox at all, and if so if someone else beforehand has indeed pondered about the same subject and if there is a proper term for it.

And of course, this being Newgrounds, I don't mind if the occasional jokes are made in relation to the topic.

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-09 23:00:19

I have a better impossible question: Why am I me?

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-09 23:32:03

At 2/9/15 10:58 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
then again, by changing the laws of physics in our world, we'd be changing that of the mirror world as well in this hypothetical.. so its moot..

What if somehow there's a third universe that's hyper compact that is the mirror itself? It could be directly connected to both ours and the mirror version, allowing for both to exist and interact yet keep them divided at the same time. It would also be why everything is inverted. The laws of mirroring would not be present in that space, and a conscious being would be able to interact with it's mirrored self since there would be more "room" for said actions to exist and differentiate from one another, thus allowing each other to circumvent one another and both go to a single dimension at the same time (if they had control of their direction).

Of course, even if all this was the case, we can't prove any of this with any of our technology, but perhaps it's possible to see if this is even possible through math and our current understanding of physics?

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-09 23:55:47

"What If the mirror was another dimension" dimension is just another one of the many existing dimensions. For every silly idea you or anyone else will ever had, there is a alternate-reality to match. Infact there always was and always will be a dimension for any type of dimension that could be.

Although I regret to inform you that scientific-Paradox's are harder to uncover without going outside our dimension

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-10 00:03:19

At 2/9/15 11:55 PM, 372 wrote:
Although I regret to inform you that scientific-Paradox's are harder to uncover without going outside our dimension

But perhaps in this case, it not need be a paradox, if possible to somehow disprove through math? Again, outside my realm of knowledge. Maybe Metatron's Cube has something to do with it's solving.

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-10 00:39:18

I dont think this fits the definition of a paradox per se, what you've desribed here sounds more like you've given a theory on mirror dimensions, in order for it to be a paradox you're going to have to have evidence or prove in some way that the mirror dimension actually exists.

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-10 01:08:40

At 2/10/15 12:39 AM, FoAngel wrote: I dont think this fits the definition of a paradox per se, what you've described here sounds more like you've given a theory on mirror dimensions, in order for it to be a paradox you're going to have to have evidence or prove in some way that the mirror dimension actually exists.

But the paradox would lie in proving the mirror dimension, or that's the way I see it. Unless I could prove that the mirror itself was another separate but connected universe to both dimensions, or that such could exist mathematically at the very least, or some other way to get around the quandary of trying to prove a dimension that mirrors yours perfectly, it wouldn't be possible to prove said mirror dimension existed even if it did.

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-10 01:22:01

The mirror dimension definitely exists, no doubt about it. I go there whenever I have to check my appearance.

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-10 01:41:08

At 2/10/15 01:24 AM, 24901miles wrote: Let's just say, to start, that what you have in mind is a true paradox. Or let's say that it is a true paradox with one resolvable flaw which you cannot see but one NGBBSer could resolve it.

The goal is for people to either agree (and be correct) or to refute (and argue that it is not a paradox). Right?

In either of those cases, it would be in your best interest to reduce this description of the paradox to the simplest and most easily communicable terms. Draw a diagram. Describe the objects using formal logic or mathematics. Edit your plain English description several times to make the language clear enough that a large number of people with their own understandings of English could understand exactly what it is that you are describing.

You could be sitting on a question which is worthy of being shared and credited to you. Or you could have a question which is never addressed the way you had thought of it because it wasn't phrased well.

I will work on trying to draw my idea and share it on here tomorrow morning. I will warn though, I am not good with art in any from.

Mathematics: I cannot use the level of mathematics well enough to either help prove or disprove this scenario. However, the drawing should help show what I am trying to illustrate.

Formal Logic: I somewhat did that already, but will attempt to emphasize it more on the drawing in writing.

Simplification of English Summary: This I would need help on. I'm not sure how to make the scenario clearer since the subject matter seems so complex to me personally. Quite Honestly, I don't even remember how I began to formulate the scenario in my head in the first place and such from having jumped around different parts of knowledge and research in my own memory so many times. If you could help me with this, and to make this scenario more presentable, perhaps after I finish with the diagram, I would be really grateful.

Also, as I have asked before, if anyone else knows how to do so, perhaps by being more savvy at using a search engine than I, is anyone aware if this assumed paradox / scenario already exists out there? If so, I'd like to know if simply to know more from those who have thought and gone over it more extensively than I. Thank you.

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-10 13:44:07

My attempt at simplifying things; picture 1

Newly Created Paradox?

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-10 13:45:29

picture 2

Newly Created Paradox?

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-10 13:56:31 (edited 2015-02-10 13:56:45)

Dude, you didn't need to say all that to prove your point. I think everyone who must have looked in the mirror asked that same question if they were smart enough. I have. You know what I saw. I saw the perfect parallel universe to my own. But one thing was different. Those eyes. Those eyes I see are not my eyes....

These eyes... These eyes are cryin'
These eyes have seen a lot of loves
But they're never gonna see another one like I had with you

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-10 14:18:07

So all your paradox goes to shit, when one gets BASIC, PRIMARY education, and gets to know, that mirrors are just either special glass, or shiny metals poured on a straight plate. So no portals here.

But let's assume it's what you have stated; the mirror is just portal of identical world on the other side. Your theory can be disproven by attempting to go to this "another dimension", for you're assuming, that the object from another side would block the object on our side, with equal power. What really happens, is that the object breaks the mirror, it damages the structure of the solid object which mirror is. No portals, no magic. Just plain destruction of object that reflects light very good.

Your paradox is just plain stupid and shows how much uneducated you are. You got fooled by the reflection like a fucking animal you are, to think that there actually might be some other dimension on the other side. Your great problem can be solved by learning something more about light and reflections. Besides, mirrors are not the only things in the world, that reflect light. What about well polished surfaces? Do they become portals to another dimensions after enough polishing? What about water? Is water a tool to monitor the other dimension?

Hey, what if your shit turns into gold, but only if it's in your stomach and it's not monitored anyhow, wanna become rich?

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-11 00:12:49

At 2/10/15 02:18 PM, Makakaov wrote: Your paradox is just plain stupid and shows how much uneducated you are. You got fooled by the reflection like a fucking animal you are, to think that there actually might be some other dimension on the other side. Your great problem can be solved by learning something more about light and reflections. Besides, mirrors are not the only things in the world, that reflect light. What about well polished surfaces? Do they become portals to another dimensions after enough polishing? What about water? Is water a tool to monitor the other dimension?

I used the mirror as an example to simplify things and is the most easily visible. I mean any reflection whatsoever, with those being in the visible spectrum simply being the easiest to understand.

The mirrored dimension's result if real would be represented by any reflection, even those not visible to our bare eyes, such as infrared mirrors.

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-11 15:32:32

Stop trying to be Insanctuary

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-18 17:47:10

At 2/11/15 03:32 PM, JRob wrote: Stop trying to be Insanctuary

Who?

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-18 18:56:15

At 2/18/15 05:47 PM, Hezio wrote:
Who?

Your answer to that question here.(from the Top 10 Most Depressing Moments of the BBS) Be warned, lots of scrolling.

TL/DR, a faux intellectual high off the smell of his own crap.

Response to Newly Created Paradox? 2015-02-19 13:53:57

At 2/18/15 06:56 PM, someaveragechap wrote:
At 2/18/15 05:47 PM, Hezio wrote:
Who?
Your answer to that question here.(from the Top 10 Most Depressing Moments of the BBS) Be warned, lots of scrolling.

TL/DR, a faux intellectual high off the smell of his own crap.

oh.
I was mainly wondering if someone else had thought of this before though, to read more on it, but it seems not, so I've just been left with questions.