00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Program

1,234 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Program 2015-02-01 16:06:48

What programs do you use for recording and editing?
I've been using Audacity, and it's alright, but I feel like there must be something more wieldy.

A strong emphasis on underlining.

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Program 2015-02-01 16:57:36

Mostly Fruity Loops, but I've used Ableton Live a few times. I think FL Studio is pretty much the gold standard here. Logic I guess for those Mac users.

BBS Signature

Response to Program 2015-02-01 17:26:59

Cubase :)

BBS Signature

Response to Program 2015-02-01 17:32:24

At 2/1/15 04:57 PM, FinaLee wrote: Mostly Fruity Loops, but I've used Ableton Live a few times. I think FL Studio is pretty much the gold standard here. Logic I guess for those Mac users.

I use FL Studio for instruments I don't have like Piano and such, but I can't seem to get the hang of it.
I haven't exactly paid for it either so it doesn't all work.

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Program 2015-02-01 18:24:16

At 2/1/15 06:22 PM, FurryGod wrote: I use Logic 9, it's not the best DAW, crashes sometimes, but it does everything I want to do.

Logic is for Mac right?
I have Windows

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Program 2015-02-01 18:27:34

At 2/1/15 06:26 PM, FurryGod wrote:
At 2/1/15 06:24 PM, Gergaloth wrote:
At 2/1/15 06:22 PM, FurryGod wrote: I use Logic 9, it's not the best DAW, crashes sometimes, but it does everything I want to do.
Logic is for Mac right?
I have Windows
Yes it's Mac exclusive. You can run the other DAWS on Mac though.

Yeah but
but Windows, Furdiety, WINDOWS
it's, it's terrible, I don't know the difference!

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Program 2015-02-01 18:31:13

At 2/1/15 04:06 PM, Gergaloth wrote: What programs do you use for recording and editing?
I've been using Audacity, and it's alright, but I feel like there must be something more wieldy.

I record on Audacity as well. *highfives* The recordings vary..... instruments, vocals.... Editing is done in FL Studio, but that's because the reverb and EQ plugins would be uniform to the rest of the instruments that I use.

Response to Program 2015-02-01 18:32:17 (edited 2015-02-01 18:33:11)

Depends. If you are doing audio editing pro tools is just awesome. For midi i personally LOVE logic pro x (since the new version 10.1 its extremely awesome. They have added almost everything i ever wanted and fixed almost all known bugs. So i can recommend it).

Cubase pro 8 also is a very strong tool- a lot of the new features of the version 8 are really impressive. I think cubase and logic are similar in quality and both are allrounder tools - good in audio and midi editing. While Cubase is over 500 € Logic is only 199 € (i think the reason is that apple always sells their software quite cheap to advertize / sell their hardware. I wanted to change to cubase a few weeks ago. But since the 10.1 update for logic i dont see any need anymore.

Addition: If you havent heared: There will be a free version of pro tools soon called pro tools first. Maybe thats interesting for you!

BBS Signature

Response to Program 2015-02-01 18:32:27

I tend to switch DAWs a lot, as I'm never completely satisfied with my workflow. Although lately I've been pretty happy with Reaper.

Response to Program 2015-02-01 18:52:40 (edited 2015-02-01 18:53:34)

If you want powerful editing then you really need something that isn't Audacity. It's a great tool to get started but as soon as you can afford something else, get it. REAPER is my go-to DAW for everything from heavy metal (recording guitar, bass, vocals) and midi composition with high quality virtual instruments (VSTis).

Audacity's biggest flaw is that it has a DESTRUCTIVE workflow. Everything you do is applied to the audio and not processed in real time. Therefore every change you make is permanent (if you want to change something you did an hour ago you have to undo every step since - destructive). REAPER and most quality DAWs such as Cubase etc apply effects as post-processing and therefore anything you do is easily reversed or changed at any stage in your work.
This is the ONLY way I would consider working. Audacity is not good enough.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Program 2015-02-01 19:13:03

At 2/1/15 06:52 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Audacity's biggest flaw is that it has a DESTRUCTIVE workflow. Everything you do is applied to the audio and not processed in real time. Therefore every change you make is permanent (if you want to change something you did an hour ago you have to undo every step since - destructive). REAPER and most quality DAWs such as Cubase etc apply effects as post-processing and therefore anything you do is easily reversed or changed at any stage in your work.
This is the ONLY way I would consider working. Audacity is not good enough.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, cause I fuck up with audacity or stop liking how something sounds or want to do it differently and when that happens it's ctrl+Z all the fucking way back and that really sucks.

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Program 2015-02-01 19:26:17

i use ableton live, and doodle ideas in fl studio.

i use some other programs like cubase, but at the end of they day everything will be thrown into ableton.

Response to Program 2015-02-01 23:04:39

I use several different pieces of software depending on what I'm doing.

I use Logic Pro X as my DAW when I'm composing soundtracks and such.
Since I use Omnisphere, I don't use any of the sounds or synths that come with Logic, but I will say that the synths in Logic sound a bit cheap -- not sure if it's me used to the quality of Omnisphere or if they really are poorly designed.

When I'm not composing music I use a combination of MetaSynth, Logic, and Audacity to design my own sound samples.
I'll create several RAW sounds in MetaSynth and load them up in Logic to apply effects and multi-track with other sound samples to create a much more complex sound.
Finally, I'll pop the final mix into Audacity to do some minor cropping or loop the sound before I call it a day.
Surprisingly, Logic's environment works quite well as a sound design tool.

On a side note,
Omnisphere II looks like it's turning into a full-blown sound design tool with the ability to use its powerful STEAM engine on your own samples.
I'm eager to see what I can design while using all four pieces of software between each other.

Interested in custom music or sound design for your project? Shoot me an email!

Response to Program 2015-02-02 02:35:21

Ableton Live 9 Suite

Response to Program 2015-02-02 03:10:35

At 2/1/15 04:06 PM, Gergaloth wrote: What programs do you use for recording and editing?

I would highly recommend using your own DAW if all you're looking for is basic recording and editing, for the exact reasons MetalRenard stated above.

If you're looking for more advanced forms of editing, it all comes down to 'what' you exactly wish to correct, as different programs to different things to different degrees. Some well-known examples are Adobe Audition for general audio editing, and Celemony's Melodyne for editing individual notes (including pitch correction).

Again, unless you're trying to fix severe errors in your recording(s), it's better to just use your DAW instead.

Response to Program 2015-02-02 03:52:16 (edited 2015-02-02 03:53:36)

At 2/1/15 11:04 PM, jdagenet wrote: I use Logic Pro X as my DAW when I'm composing soundtracks and such.
Since I use Omnisphere, I don't use any of the sounds or synths that come with Logic, but I will say that the synths in Logic sound a bit cheap -- not sure if it's me used to the quality of Omnisphere or if they really are poorly designed.

Well it doesn't compare to Omnisphere for sure, but I did get a lot of positive responses from my latest track in regards to the synth sounds. They were entirely used from ES2 from Logic Pro X, so I believe they can suffice