00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is the "amature" sound in my head ?

2,141 Views | 28 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I've noticed my tracks have a very amature quality about them. When I listen to other tracks, I hear them as a solid piece and generally it all melds together and they sound like a song. On the other hand, when I listen to my own tracks they sound very obviously bedroom produced and I can focus on specific parts that sound ..."cheap?" . Can anyone confirm, is this a normal thing or am I genuinely making very low quality sounding tracks?

"It's alright to be afraid, lord knows I am."

BBS Signature

Speaking as someone who's been there... the amateur sound may not necessarily be in our heads. We imagine the finished result, sometimes much better produced. But we don't quite know how to get there. And so we do what we know, in order to produce what we know.

With improved production skills, which should hopefully come with time, this effect will decrease. However, for some of us, this also means not having the clearest picture of the final piece, and instead just winging it until we know it sounds good.

It's in your head. Your production quality has always been absolutely fine in my ears, ever since I started listening to your music years ago.

I get that feeling sometimes that my tracks sound super amateur compared to other people's. I think it's because I, being the composer, know exactly how it was made. I can easily dissect it in my head and in my opinion that comes with a bit of natural insecurity about my overall sound. When listening to other people's music, you don't know how they made it; you just hear the end result, which is something you can't do as easily when listening to your own music.

The best thing to do in this situation is try and get feedback on your mixes from other people. This is why constructive criticism is so important. Your opinion of your own work is far too biased to be relied on all the time, so get outside opinions, especially from other experienced musicians.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-27 05:55:13

Whenever I make something it seems to me that it's very obviously just noises altered through Audacity, but I don't think anyone else notices it. Too lost in the trippiness.
Your tracks always sound so top of the line in my opinion, and I've been a fan for a long time.
I do have a sense of what you mean though, and I'm surprised you think that after having made music so long. Perhaps you oughta try something new to whet your sense of self.

A strong emphasis on underlining.

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Had a listen. Your tracks have professional touches but also a few minor things that give them away. Not that it's an issue, even mine have these flaws, and I actively work to fix them, but I lack the time and resources to do so.

For example, in your most recent track, your dubstep-y wobbly almost guitar sound synth (you know the one I mean?) sticks out of the mix in a way that, to my ears, sounds like you've used a reverb with a long initial reflection on it. I could be wrong, it may be the way the synth is, in which case I'd use EQ to bring it back into the track.

The only way to get 100% pro sounding is to just keep admitting your flaws and finding ways to fix them. Even a few months ago my drums sounded pretty crappy. They still lack punch but I'm getting there (heavy metal/death metal). And I'm learning with every song I record vocals for (all new to me). :)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-27 07:33:48

Your quality is fine :)
Like Step said, I think it's because we know the song we composed in and out and I even believe that we hear things differently when listening to our own piece then if someone else would.
I also get the same feeling that my tracks are missing something like it could be better and that it's nothing compared to other great composers I've listened to
But you shouldn't worry, you've got allot of fans already so you must be doing a good thing!
most people prefer a well constructed song with decent mixing over a perfectly mastered "lifeless" track anyway (at least I do).

BBS Signature

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-27 07:39:42

At 1/27/15 07:33 AM, Mattashi wrote: Most people prefer a well constructed song with decent mixing over a perfectly mastered "lifeless" track anyway (at least I do).

I wish I could agree but most average consumers don't know the difference. It's only people who really care about the music who make this distinction. The average person things a good song is one that "sounds good", hence a lot of the issues people have at first when they have great ideas but don't know how to execute them.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-27 07:59:15

When you're listening to your project over and over and over while making it, you may start to feel like it won't be decent quality. Remember that a lot of people won't notice all of the minutia that goes into your work.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-27 12:02:00

Thanks guys! I'm getting some mixed responses here, so in the spirit of progression I'm going to start taking a longer look at the mix and see where I'm going wrong.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-28 21:00:43

At 1/28/15 08:46 PM, TheDukeofJuke wrote: *Looks at work* Oh...OOH! You're that guy. How did I not favorite you yet?

Love that "But A Wisp Of Cloud" song

The worst part about that song, is that It never got to be finished :( It was the victim of one of my 3 great harddrive crashes.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-28 21:18:41

the dull mastering, awkward levels, babby's-first-dubstep sound design, lifeless orchestration, thoughtless use of reverb and complete lack of fine details is what gives it away.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-28 21:35:52

At 1/28/15 09:18 PM, midimachine wrote: the dull mastering, awkward levels, babby's-first-dubstep sound design, lifeless orchestration, thoughtless use of reverb and complete lack of fine details is what gives it away.

Oh, I bet you're fun at parties :)

I feel like I can safely assume that you've listened to only the latest track on my audio feed as you talk about dubstep. Comically enough, I don't really produce dubstep and that was a song I made for my 3 yr old in the 40 minutes he was at the grocery store with his mom, since the little guy LOVES the stuff. Hence the name "jack ( my son) Not here "

I always welcome criticism and suggestion, but i'd prefer if it came from someone who's checked out more than an afternoon thrown together "brostep" 8bit track.

cheers!

BBS Signature

At 1/28/15 09:35 PM, nubbinownz wrote: cheers!

you don't have to agree with my analysis, but if you're going to make excuses for shitty music then why did you make this thread in the first place?

FWIW i listened to your latest two on NG and a couple of other things from 2011 before posting. add "spending only 40 minutes on a song" to the list of things that make you sound amateur.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-29 00:20:10

At 1/29/15 12:09 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 1/28/15 09:35 PM, nubbinownz wrote: cheers!
you don't have to agree with my analysis, but if you're going to make excuses for shitty music then why did you make this thread in the first place?

FWIW i listened to your latest two on NG and a couple of other things from 2011 before posting. add "spending only 40 minutes on a song" to the list of things that make you sound amateur.

Gotchya :) wanted to see where you were coming from so I checked your music. I guess what they say is true. "Those that can't do, teach" So I'll look into some of the things you mentioned, thanks for the reply.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-29 00:25:43

At 1/29/15 12:20 AM, nubbinownz wrote: I guess what they say is true. "Those that can't do, teach"

i guess you'll have to teach me how to not be a fuckwit then? :)

p.s. i am gay

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-29 00:33:32

At 1/29/15 12:25 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 1/29/15 12:20 AM, nubbinownz wrote: I guess what they say is true. "Those that can't do, teach"
i guess you'll have to teach me how to not be a fuckwit then? :)

I genuinely don't know if that's possible. The level of douchebaggery you've shown is generally not something that can be fixed. :( Sorry man.

(for the record. Criticism is fine. Being an arrogant asshole from the get go, not so much)

BBS Signature

I feel like I can safely assume...
I wanted to see where you were coming from so I checked your music. I guess what they say is true. "Those that can't do, teach
The level of douchebaggery you've shown is generally not something that can be fixed. :(

ladies and gentlemen: how not to be a douchebag by nubbinownz. #1 on amazon m8

p.s. i am gay

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-29 01:09:38

At 1/29/15 12:59 AM, midimachine wrote:
I wanted to see where you were coming from so I checked your music. I guess what they say is true. "Those that can't do, teach
The level of douchebaggery you've shown is generally not something that can be fixed. :(

I'm gonna discontinue printing. If you've read it, it obviously doesn't work :(
Im sorry for the faulty product, you can expect your refund shortly.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-29 06:07:49

At 1/29/15 01:09 AM, nubbinownz wrote:
At 1/29/15 12:59 AM, midimachine wrote:
I'm gonna discontinue printing. If you've read it, it obviously doesn't work :(
Im sorry for the faulty product, you can expect your refund shortly.

Both of you, cut it out. Seriously. You're taking this thread nowhere. We're here to give constructive thoughts, not a tirade of douchebaggery.

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-29 06:48:52

midi isn't known for his glowing complements or constructive criticism, there's no point getting upset by it, it would be safer and happier for everyone to just move on. This was a good thread until then.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-29 07:32:58

At 1/29/15 06:48 AM, MetalRenard wrote: midi isn't known for his glowing complements or constructive criticism, there's no point getting upset by it, it would be safer and happier for everyone to just move on. This was a good thread until then.

meh. i don't mince words and when people have a shitty attitude toward criticism i call it.

p.s. i am gay

I actually think I know where the problem lies, and I'm gonna use myself as a bit of an example.

I'm just going to say it, Nubbin; I got my style from you and Lapse. Years before I ever put my first song together, you two were the only artists I regularly listened to, so a lot of my music follows the format of glitched samples, sweeping orchestral accompaniments and layered drumwork that you guys laid down years ago. But, as I've been spending the last year or so trying to diversify my own music and make an EP, it's become apparent that the style I started with simply won't work anymore. But enough about me.

You've been uploading to this site since 2008. Think about that for a minute. Your style has been mostly the same for 7 years, nevermind the three years you spent away putting a halt to your production. Sure, you've gotten better as an artist with each new song, but you've held on to the Orchestral/Jungle/IDM/Chiptunes style throughout with only major changes in the DAW you used and the types of synths you've had access to. As much of a fan I am of you, and you know I am, your stuff in 2014 sounds like what you were making in 2009, just with more clarity.

I don't think your problem is that your sound is amateurish at all. It's very apparent that you know a lot about music production and have a good ear for mixing when you commit yourself 100% to a project. But I do think your sound is starting to stagnate, and even you're aware of it now. The biggest barrier to your progression as an artist at this point will be your willingness to tear your walls down and let your music change with the times. I feel like you want to make another Wizard's Ascension, when what I think you need is something completely different, something not even you would have expected from yourself.

But I'm simply saying this from my limited perspective; as someone who's been tuned in to your body of work for almost seven years.

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-29 09:02:37

I know what you are talking about. I struggle a lot with my self since I keep comparing my work with work from great producers and I always fail to make it as good or better as. but that's probably cause I know how I made my music and that it's "simple" while i sometimes can't imagine how other people made theire tracks.

Little thing that helps then is to listen closley to the tracks that you compare your track to and to just build it down since they are mostely easier then you think they are.

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-29 21:17:56

At 1/29/15 08:10 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 1/29/15 06:48 AM, MetalRenard wrote: midi isn't known for his glowing complements or constructive criticism, there's no point getting upset by it, it would be safer and happier for everyone to just move on. This was a good thread until then.
Harsh criticism is still a criticism. Even he was meant for all of the musicians.

yea i mean it's not like my first post applied exclusively to the OP anyway, the problems i listed are common traits of amateur production. even when tracks have all of those issues they still aren't necessarily bad songs. but the average joe does recognise the difference, even if they can't pinpoint what the flaws are. so the question then is "do the opinions of the general public matter to me, and if not, why do i care whether or not i sound amateur?".

fwiw i don't consider myself to be "professional", but i also don't flaunt my insecurities and make threads solely for the purpose of self validation. that's not just a jab at OP, those kinds of threads are a regular occurence here and they're all equally dumb.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-29 21:24:08

midimachine, why don't you leave him alone. He clearly doesn't actually want criticism.

At 1/28/15 09:35 PM, nubbinownz wrote: Oh, I bet you're fun at parties :)

You see this? This is him getting super defensive instead of actually reading what you said and taking it on board.

p.s. ur gay

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-29 22:27:37

At 1/29/15 10:07 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 1/29/15 09:24 PM, TheBetterAudioPortal wrote: midimachine, why don't you leave him alone. He clearly doesn't actually want criticism.
Then why did OP post this thread in first place?

This is getting cute. Anyone who knows me from before my hiatus knows I have no problem with criticism or advice. What I do have a problem with is arrogance and condescension. Regardless of the true purpose of his post, he comes off as an aggressive ass. There's no place for that in what is supposed to be a community of artists working together. Especially from someone who is supposed to be a moderator. If the mods act like this what kind of message does that send to people who may be looking at joining the community. I'm not saying what he said was wrong, but the way he went about it was absolutely terrible.

There are ways to criticize and help others improve, and this simply isn't one of them, plain and simple.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-30 02:26:11

still haven't answered this, btw

p.s. i am gay

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-30 02:33:33

At 1/30/15 02:26 AM, midimachine wrote:
still haven't answered this, btw

Well, if you read the rest of the thread, you'll see that solid producers have offered specific advice and recommendations, that's what I was looking for in this thread. Now it's your turn to explain why you feel the need to come out of the gate sounding like a pompous elitist.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the "amature" sound in my head ? 2015-01-30 06:28:46

At 1/30/15 02:33 AM, nubbinownz wrote: Now it's your turn to explain why you feel the need to come out of the gate sounding like a pompous elitist.

did my first post really sound like that or were you projecting your own insecurities onto it? you opened your first reply with ad hominem so i don't really feel inclined to explain anything.

p.s. i am gay