00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Care2mchBEAR just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Personal favorite drum samples?

4,216 Views | 24 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-21 12:32:00

Hey audio portal!

Recently, I've begun to expand on my resource library, and I've noticed a very defined gap in my library of drum samples. Namely, they all kinda suck.

Since I know this community is very knowledgeable, I figured I would ask you all this: What are your favorite drum samples to use? Whether they're premium samples or free VST's, I'm just looking for stuff that has a good sound.

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-21 12:37:01

I don't have a huge variety of drum samples, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I do have. I essentially use Stormdrum 2 for almost all of my percussion-related needs, but if I need a little extra genre-specific percussion, I also use some of East/West Symphonic Orchestra Silver's percussion for orchestral stuff, Ra's percussion for ethnic stuff, EZdrummer if I want an acoustic drum kit, and Vengeance drum samples for electronic/techno stuff.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-21 13:42:11

At 1/21/15 12:37 PM, Step wrote: I don't have a huge variety of drum samples, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I do have. I essentially use Stormdrum 2 for almost all of my percussion-related needs, but if I need a little extra genre-specific percussion, I also use some of East/West Symphonic Orchestra Silver's percussion for orchestral stuff, Ra's percussion for ethnic stuff, EZdrummer if I want an acoustic drum kit, and Vengeance drum samples for electronic/techno stuff.

Thanks! I don't have the cash for most of those right now haha but I'm glad to hear that Stormdrum is good, as I'm planning on getting a CCC pack in the future, once I build a PC capable of handling it. So it could be a while.

But I'll be checking out a few of those others for sure later on today. Hopefully one of them is exactly what I'm looking for.

At 1/21/15 12:32 PM, OpenLight wrote: Hey audio portal!

Recently, I've begun to expand on my resource library, and I've noticed a very defined gap in my library of drum samples. Namely, they all kinda suck.

Since I know this community is very knowledgeable, I figured I would ask you all this: What are your favorite drum samples to use? Whether they're premium samples or free VST's, I'm just looking for stuff that has a good sound.

Vengeance, a ton of it, stacked with other vengeance or other sources so it isn't instantly recognizable.

I just use studio drummer for any acoustic drum needs because it came with komplete. Battery is also an amazing source of percussion samples.

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-21 15:26:43

I can't say I have many orchestral drum favourites, except maybe the G-Town ones. They're in the 800 free SF2s thread, and so far, they have served me well.

When it comes to ethnic percussion on the other hand.... I record. I enjoy drumming, and for intimate playing, I don't think I'm going to trust a VST with delivering the sound I'm after. ^_-

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-21 16:18:56

I'll definitely take a look at Vengeance then, since I've heard the name come up more than once. And Trois, I'll certainly give your recommendation a shot, since your last recommendation served me so well!

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-21 16:36:00

I REALLY like the black kit in East West Ministry of Rock. You can hear it here (go to 4:13 in the track). Whenever I am writing a track with a drum set, this kit is always my starting point (and often my ending point).

That said, the electric guitars in Ministry of Rock are very hard to use, and the basses are only decent,. Don't think MOR is worth it for that one drum kit alone. YMMV.

BBS Signature

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-21 16:41:11

At 1/21/15 04:36 PM, DavidOrr wrote: I REALLY like the black kit in East West Ministry of Rock. You can hear it here (go to 4:13 in the track). Whenever I am writing a track with a drum set, this kit is always my starting point (and often my ending point).

That said, the electric guitars in Ministry of Rock are very hard to use, and the basses are only decent,. Don't think MOR is worth it for that one drum kit alone. YMMV.

The Black Kit (or perhaps a condensed version of it) comes in Stormdrum 2 as well though right? I like layering it with the EZdrummer standard kit, since I prefer the cymbals of EZdrummer and the snare/kick from the Black Kit.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-21 17:32:48

vanilla BFD2 is where i go if i need a "real" sounding kit, but i generally just end up only using the cymbals on top of an edm kick/snare

p.s. i am gay

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-21 19:17:39

I heard allot of great things about Superior Drummer 2.0 from Toontrack (same guys who did EZdrummer),
was thinking of getting that one day since I don't really have a good drumkit.
One of my favorites has to be Heavyocity Damage it's basically drums on crack, has allot of punch to it and interesting sound designs (like exploding cars and broken piano hits) but also comes with some organic percussion.

BBS Signature

At 1/21/15 04:41 PM, Step wrote:
The Black Kit (or perhaps a condensed version of it) comes in Stormdrum 2 as well though right? I like layering it with the EZdrummer standard kit, since I prefer the cymbals of EZdrummer and the snare/kick from the Black Kit.

I believe the Black Kit in Stormdrum 2 is a scaled-down version, from what I've read. I have Stormdrum 2, but haven't played with the black kit included because of that.

BBS Signature

At 1/21/15 09:58 PM, dem0lecule wrote: Can't second this enough! Damage is indeed drum on crack. Some people recommended DM-307 instead of Damage, but I personally prefer the latter.

I've heard some great things about DM-307 too, going to check it out :)

BBS Signature

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-22 07:16:36

+ 1 for Superior Drummer
+ 1 for Damage

Damage is ssssoooo awesome for anything that needs to sound "big".

99% of the time I only use one patch in it.
"The Armageddon Ensemble" (Most badass name of a Kontakt Patch, EVER.)

It's weird how well it mixes with other sample libraries. I rarely even need to match reverbs.

But it has a lot of other stuff too, from electronic beeps and bops, to trailer-music type hybrid DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN impact sounds, to the soothing sound of a dumpster being hit.

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-22 07:32:32

Rock / Pop / Metal / Jazz ... --> EZDrummer 2 + Extensions

Orchestral --> Spitfire Percussion Redux, ProjectSam True Strike I

Hybrid / Cinematic --> NI Heavyocity Damage, EWQL Stormdrum Series, 8dio Epic Perc, Hybrid Tools Series

BBS Signature

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-22 11:18:23

At 1/21/15 03:26 PM, Troisnyx wrote: I can't say I have many orchestral drum favourites, except maybe the G-Town ones. They're in the 800 free SF2s thread, and so far, they have served me well.

I second Troisnyx's sentiments on G-Town. They're really good for crisp-sounding percussion on the cheap.

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-22 14:50:34

First off I must say that I use a lot of drum samples that I've sampled/recorded/made myself.
As for off-the-shelf stuff, my list of favorite drum samples/libraries includes:
Hip Hop - Deadly Drums 1 and 2
Electronic - VEC2, VEH3 (they require a lot of tweaking to get them to sound professional)
Acoustic - Abbey Road 60's Drums, Analogue Drums Smoker, Reason Drum Kits

BBS Signature

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-22 15:14:53

At 1/21/15 04:31 PM, Lich wrote: I have a personal collection of my own self-made Favorites I'm using more and more now.

This is the way to go.

I spend at least 5 hours a week layering snares or kicks.

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-22 16:32:51

At 1/22/15 03:14 PM, Chozz wrote:
At 1/21/15 04:31 PM, Lich wrote: I have a personal collection of my own self-made Favorites I'm using more and more now.
This is the way to go.

I spend at least 5 hours a week layering snares or kicks.

this

BBS Signature

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-25 20:26:21

Surprised no one has mentioned Stylus RMX.

Interested in custom music or sound design for your project? Shoot me an email!

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-25 22:04:54

Recently purchased the new LA Drama Drums from Audiobro (same people who made LA Scoring Strings).

I'm kind of in love. Pretty much an all in one orchestral percussion library. If you don't already have an orchestral percussion library and are looking for one, I highly recommend LADD. Has all your traditional orchestra needs, but with a press of a key or turn of a few knobs you end up with some crazy "Damage-like" hybrid library, plus everything in between. It's pretty expensive, but feels worth it as I feel like I don't really need any other percussion libraries as LADD pretty much has it all covered.

It feels like 3+ libraries in one and I love it.

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-26 17:56:04

I use a lot of free drum machine samples for my drums, like the roland classics 808, 909 and 707. it's pretty easy to find high quality samples of those. then a lot of random shit. I have a pretty decent mic so i sometimes sample intresting sounds myself. one time i sampled myself hitting a pringles can with a chopstick! and you wouldn't beleive how many people record random instruments and soundeffects and give them away for free. you need to search though and a lot of it isn't as "preproduced" like for example the vengeance stuff. I don't like it that much because I like to process my stuff myself. http://www.legowelt.com/ here are some old drummachines like the DR660 I use quite a bit.

Newest Track: h8ju

If you want me to Review smthn, just send me a PM ;)

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-27 13:57:47

NI maschine library + expansions replaced most of my samples however I still have tons of old ones, including every keyboard sampled drum sounds and classic drum machines...

an amazing plugin by XLN audio called addictive drums i have been using forever , it contains multi sampled hits depending on velocity

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-01-30 15:36:59

909s are the only samples you'll ever need. But really, just get a whole ton of drum machine samples and learn to process them to make them sound more to your liking.

The drums I made for this track

They are all drum machine samples that I processed from here http://samples.kb6.de/downloads.php

p.s. ur gay

Love CinePerc for orchestral drums (especially those toms). Spitfire HZ has some good timpani and taikos. I still love EWQL Stormdrum 2 for sound design, brushed drums, and that "Earthquake Ensemble." For drum kit, my favorites are the NI Abbey Road series. They're all mix-ready out of the box, and have a nice analog tone that most other sampled drum kits don't have.

Response to Personal favorite drum samples? 2015-02-28 04:35:45

At 1/26/15 05:56 PM, Voltus wrote: I use a lot of free drum machine samples for my drums, like the roland classics 808, 909 and 707. it's pretty easy to find high quality samples of those. then a lot of random shit. I have a pretty decent mic so i sometimes sample intresting sounds myself. one time i sampled myself hitting a pringles can with a chopstick! and you wouldn't beleive how many people record random instruments and soundeffects and give them away for free. you need to search though and a lot of it isn't as "preproduced" like for example the vengeance stuff. I don't like it that much because I like to process my stuff myself. http://www.legowelt.com/ here are some old drummachines like the DR660 I use quite a bit.

Was literally going to post a recommend for Legowelt's 660 sample pack as well until I scrolled up and saw you beat me to it. Good stuff, Voltus.

I have two actual DR-660's in my studio, as they're surprisingly decent sequencers (MIDI daisy chains) to go with the budget-but-not-too-cheap sounding drum hits. With enough effect tweaking you can get some meaty and snappy hits out of the DR-660 sound library.